• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bill S.978 Will SHUT DOWN THE INTERNET and Streams EVERYWHERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It was not morally wrong as I purchesed genuine copies which I have been using for a long time. Reason I did not buy them earlier was it was physically impossible to buy English copies where I lived.

Without having seen the game was so good first though, I might not have brought it so in the end blizzard made a sale due to piracy. This is what many blind businessmen fail to see. They think demos are enough, which show off too little content for anyone to make a reasonable decission with. Worse, nowdays few companies even make demos relying hevailly on trailers and reviews which are heavilly influencable and opinionated. The easiest end to piracy would just be to make true demos allowing access to a large variety of game features so you can experience the full game before buying and not some tiny extract the dev team thought you may like.

Multiplayer is a massive feature of most games, all you need to do is make it so pirates have no access to that feature and it forces them to buy the game if they want the real experience. SC2 is a good example as cracks may let you play the campaign and use the editor, but those features are still a small part of what the game has to offer.

The only time piracy is extreemly detrimental is with singleplayer only games as there is no insentive to get people to buy the game next to their concious. Companies are now getting around this by intigrating social features like rewards or unlocks into the games meaning you still do not get the full experience of playing a pirated game.

You must remember, if you like a game you should always buy it.

Level 27
Well, I had a pirated version until I found a genuine one, too. I don't see anything wrong here.

Oh come on, this bill will never get approved. I mean, it makes no sence at all. Besides, if it will get approved, we all can go underground :D
Imagine how cool-- oh wait cops may arrest us... damn.

Level 15
I'd say you're all immoral because when a bill that hurts video game distribution and other media distribution from the US you all flip a bitch but when there's something like SB1070 out there that argually violates human rights on a daily basis, no one cares.

That's your imorality. You guys value media over human rights.

Level 31
That's not a very good assumption.

You have to figure in the fact that this is infact a gaming media based website. So it stands to reason that we are going to talk about gaming related topics. Its the same reason you see more threads here about how people hate WoW than you see threads about Tibetan slaughter.

Level 15
That's not a very good assumption.

You have to figure in the fact that this is infact a gaming media based website. So it stands to reason that we are going to talk about gaming related topics. Its the same reason you see more threads here about how people hate WoW than you see threads about Tibetan slaughter.

I'd say it's a fair assumption due to the fact that a) we know this discussion won't amount to anything because the bill is pretty ridiculous and b) this discussion had degenerated into you guys arguing about whether pirating something is a good or bad thing, when obviously it's a bad thing. DSG, Rui, etc. can talk about how they ended up buying the game, thus making it a good thing all they want. However, for that brief window when DSG, Rui, etc were downloading the pirated version they had 0 intention of buying the game.

Additionally, look at all the Filipinos and Brazilians and Chinese who pirate the game and play on Garena. There are MILLIONS of them. Don't tell me that a majority of those MILLIONS are going to buy the game, thus ending in a "win" for Blizzard. Also, the fact that Blizzard HATES Garena and tried to shut it down is evidence that Blizzard HATES pirating in any way.

The bottom line is if you pirate something, you're ripping off the company that produced the product, whether you intend to buy it in the future or not (and obviously you don't intend to buy it, otherwise you would just buy it). Even if you do end up buying the game, that doesn't justify you or the MILLIONS of other people who pirate it in the first place.

Kudos to you guys for buying the game and all, but your actions of piracy are still immoral. Piracy is the equivalent of stealing. You wouldn't say "Oh yeah, I stole the automobile from your store so I could see if I wanted to buy it or not." Before you guys say test runs exist, that's what the TRIAL VERSION is for.

My ultimate point here is that instead of arguing about something silly like piracy being immoral, which it inherently is, you guys should discuss more important things. But since it's pointless to discuss anything serious on this site, because DSG will just disagree with anything pro-America or some retards will convolute any discussion with their repetitive, incoherent responses, lets just leave it in the realm of video games. Sorry for trying to enhance the level of discussion on this site so we don't come off as a bunch of immature retards complaining about whether or not we'll get to watch 'lets plays' when hundreds of thousands of people are having their rights violated by legislation from a similar group.

Also, I'd say SB1070 is very on topic, since a lot of you guys are arguing that American congress is too smart to pass something like this media sharing bill, where some politicians were dumb enough to pass SB1070.

Level 31
Well first of all, I don't condone the act of piracy in any way.

Second of all, all I'm saying is it isn't realistic to call people immoral for talking about a video game related topic on a video game related forum.

My ultimate point here is that instead of arguing about something silly like piracy being immoral, which it inherently is, you guys should discuss more important things.

We do. Just not on a forum dedicated to video game related subject matter.

Sorry for trying to enhance the level of discussion on this site so we don't come off as a bunch of immature retards complaining about whether or not we'll get to watch 'lets plays' when hundreds of thousands of people are having their rights violated by legislation from a similar group.

Enhance it? No, you are trying to redirect it. It's not that we don't talk about the Arizona immigration status, it's just we don't do it here. It isn't the place.

EDIT: Also, while I don't approve of piracy, your comparison is not valid as, in the example, something is actually taken from the dealer. When you pirate a game, the developer isn't actually losing anything. But, it is still unfair to use sed product without buying the license to do so. It's more comparable to slipping in to watch a movie without tickets.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
En_Fuego said:
However, for that brief window when DSG, Rui, etc were downloading the pirated version they had 0 intention of buying the game.
I always have 0 intention of buying any game until I've played. Like someone already mentioned in this thread, demos and trials do not show the full content of the game, and Battle.Net is an important part of the game.
But I agree on the "bringing ethics to the table being a mistake" part; the community is too immature. I can confirm it is true and that I learned so the hard way.

Last edited:
Level 17
gameplay videos are great and all but doesn't this also apply to music videos?

I mean... that's the real loss to me, lol. Anyway, I doubt it will be passed and even if it were passed I'm sure people would find work arounds and nothing much would change.

Level 14
The Person who made this bill clearly doesnt know atleast 1% of GAMES

Level 6
Judge: Do you know why your on trial?
Me: Cause I made a video showing people a game and possibly bringing in more people to play it.
....LATER*
Judge: I find you guilty

You cant tell me this doesnt sound retarded but hey this is whats going to happen if it passes.

Level 5
Re: Congress bill

Ok for one, whoever the douche decided to make this bill the way it is worded, is a complete moron... Your gonna totally screw over tons of businesses, websites and what not just cuz some hollywood cry baby doesnt like people using his/her shit... Now, I understand that plain out posting a song, video, or movie as is making it free to the public with out the permission of the owner is wrong but if, they pass it as is then our freedom of speech gets "F"ed over...

Level 9
Its just one of those bills some smart ass congressman proposes to win supporters to get them in too office or keep them there.

Youtube is such a huge company they have more then enough influence and capital to get it vetoed even if congress by some strange means wants to pass the this paradoxical bill.

And I'm 99.999% sure that this infringes on Article 11 of the Constitution that states:

"The free communication of ideas and opinions is one of the most precious of the rights of man. Every citizen may, accordingly, speak, write, and print with freedom, but shall be responsible for such abuses of this freedom as shall be defined by law."

Granted the founding fathers didn't have computers back then but by modern standards of information sharing posting something on the internet is more or less the same as printing it in written media.

So try not to take this so seriously, "world changing" bills get proposed and rejected on mass in our country on a daily basis, we don't even see 90% of them get to the media.

Regards,

Jake

"The free communication of ideas and opinions is one of the most precious of the rights of man. Every citizen may, accordingly, speak, write, and print with freedom, but shall be responsible for such abuses of this freedom as shall be defined by law."

But if the Bill gets passed, wouldn't it then NOT violate this? :D

TThe means to actually enforce this are nonexistent, at least when it comes to youtube
Realistically, this is just another douche move by big companies to prevent others from indirectly making a gain off their games and shouldn't effect the nonprofit gaming community at all. Your la's and montages are fine as they are, it's not like most of what's on youtube is legal as it is anyways, on top of that this isn't creating a new law but changing the nature of the offense that already existed. Dev teams that actually care about the legalities of their online communities will add a little note to the terms of use of their product to allow streaming to continue as is anyway (enveloper of minecraft already said this).

Is it a touchy move on the part of big business? Yes
will it most likely effect your internet experience? No.

Besides, most competitive game leagues are supported by the creators of said games anyway, and thus they'd give them the okay to broadcast, that's ffeee advertising and stirs interest in the game anyway.

Level 8
simply blown out of proportion... people are getting way to worried about this stupid rule.. A vast majority of youtube is gaming, and if thats taken away, youtube will have a problem on their hands, Besides... you dont think youtube and others would have people fighting against bill S.978. On top of that, gaming companies are purposely allowing us to post gameplay videos because it is free advertising for their companies. They would probably say something about it as well.

Level 14
simply blown out of proportion... people are getting way to worried about this stupid rule.. A vast majority of youtube is gaming, and if thats taken away, youtube will have a problem on their hands, Besides... you dont think youtube and others would have people fighting against bill S.978. On top of that, gaming companies are purposely allowing us to post gameplay videos because it is free advertising for their companies. They would probably say something about it as well.

Blown out of proportion... this reminds me of the issue that Bnet2.0 didn't have chat channels. I dare say that also blew out of proportion and the result... we have chat channels again. :)

Or the real name ideea Blizz had... that also blew out of proportion and the result... we get to keep our nick names. :)

Truth be told you can't be sure if those were the true intentions of Blizzard or if they just wanted more coverage over the TV stations and internet. But still, I'd rather step a cockroach twice and hard, rather than giving him a chance to live.

And be sure that people are trying to actually take control over the internet and not allow just anybody get rich of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.