• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Better equipped human units

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Hello!
So the first thing I really saw that made me question the reforged models was the small daggers (you can not convince me those are swords) that the footman is using.
A small update to them so they look way better and similar to the cinematics.
Also added the Lordaeron shield and edited a bit the armor.

Following this I also updated the Knight
  • Gave him a custom helmet,changed the shape of his sword and small armor changes to him and his warhorse
  • Fixed the clipping from the Cinematic Standard One

Credits:
Thank you to Barorque and Tamplier for the shield model Lordaeron Forces (CSW)
Thank you to Mr Ogre man for the amazing helmet

To set them as the default models in your game add to paths:
  • \Warcraft III\_retail_\units\human\footman
  • \Warcraft III\_retail_\units\human\knight
Updates:
  • big changes to the overall units animations (fixed old animations for shield and weapon positioning)
  • added default versions with fixed and less changes. These will be used in the Re-Reforged Campaigns. Use the link to check them out on InsaneMonster's page.
Hope you enjoy!
All feedback is welcomed.
Previews
Contents

Improved Footman (Model)

Improved Footman portrait (Model)

Lordaeron Foot Soldier (Model)

Lordaeron Foot Soldier portrait (Model)

Mounted Knight (Model)

Mounted Knight portrait (Model)

Mounted Knight with Helmet (Model)

Mounted Knight with Helmet portrait (Model)

Level 4
In fact, there is a very technical error with Footman Reforged in the matter of its high armor. Not that this is a mistake and not that the artistic plastic is bad, you can have a designer with high armor for the character, it's great, no problem. But in relation to heavy plate style armor and the use of the shield, historically, if it is in real life, hardly someone who wore such heavy armor would need to use a shield and in addition, a long sword would be used with two hands (Footman example in the video triler original Wc3), as It was used in the 14th and 15th centuries, knights were highly protected, shields became unnecessary, sword thrusts were not so much cutting as more piercing.

Level 36
In fact, there is a very technical error with Footman Reforged in the matter of its high armor. Not that this is a mistake and not that the artistic plastic is bad, you can have a designer with high armor for the character, it's great, no problem. But in relation to heavy plate style armor and the use of the shield, historically, if it is in real life, hardly someone who wore such heavy armor would need to use a shield and in addition, a long sword would be used with two hands, as It was used in the 14th and 15th centuries.
I'l update this pack more in the future with other human units

Level 4
I'l update this pack more in the future with other human units
The game is fantasy, it doesn't really matter much. lol
There's not even a direct confrontation of heavy armor, as long as it's not two footman's (HuxHu).
But for those who care about realistic aspects... in a fight between Armored Footman's, you'd need to do a little more than that. See the real techniques of the time in this video:

It would not be the proposal to remove the shield only, but the animations would need to behave like an authentic knight in full plate armor, wielding only the sword and having his attack moves with the styles originally used at the time, such as half swording, sword, strikes with the pommel...
This template slightly depicts these animations:

Level 36
There's not even a direct confrontation of heavy armor, as long as it's not two footman's (HuxHu).
But for those who care about realistic aspects... in a fight between Armored Footman's, you'd need to do a little more than that. See the real techniques of the time in this video:

It would not be the proposal to remove the shield only, but the animations would need to behave like an authentic knight in full plate armor, wielding only the sword and having his attack moves with the styles originally used at the time, such as half swording, sword, strikes with the pommel...
Well...you went into deep istorical knowledge my friend :D I only wanted my footman to no longer fight with daggers:D
It's still warcraft the fantasy just giving them proper big swords to fight big enemies

Level 5
In fact, there is a very technical error with Footman Reforged in the matter of its high armor. Not that this is a mistake and not that the artistic plastic is bad, you can have a designer with high armor for the character, it's great, no problem. But in relation to heavy plate style armor and the use of the shield, historically, if it is in real life, hardly someone who wore such heavy armor would need to use a shield and in addition, a long sword would be used with two hands (Footman example in the video triler original Wc3), as It was used in the 14th and 15th centuries, knights were highly protected, shields became unnecessary, sword thrusts were not so much cutting as more piercing.

Seriously. Warcraft is the most flanderized fantasy I've ever seen. Don't even bother with considering realism with this game. The best thing would probably be to just make it look better within the context of the game's cartoony childlike violent aesthetic.

That said, I like the changes here. Warhammer fantasy has a more mature authentic look, but similarly over-the-top impractical stuff like Warcraft. The changes to the footman and captain's weapons are good.

Level 4
You're only partially right buddy , Knights did use shield to protect against blunt/heavy impact weapons and ranged weaponry, while not fatal it may wear you down and eventually hurt you if you get peppered by crossbow bolts , same with weaponry huge concussion would eventually batter you. Orcs mostly use huge massive weapons so the shield is necessary part of the equipment. So guys it has nothing to do just with Fantasy but with real combat too :)

Level 4
You're only partially right buddy , Knights did use shield to protect against blunt/heavy impact weapons and ranged weaponry, while not fatal it may wear you down and eventually hurt you if you get peppered by crossbow bolts , same with weaponry huge concussion would eventually batter you. Orcs mostly use huge massive weapons so the shield is necessary part of the equipment. So guys it has nothing to do just with Fantasy but with real combat too :)
Actually, regarding the Orcs, you're really right on this point. As we said, the game is a fiction, but if taken seriously, the strength of an Orc and the piercing power it would have compared to an ordinary knight of the middle ages is a true fact. The shield might become necessary, as a single blow to the head would have enough gravity to kill, even without piercing. Lol
Now historically, shields were still used, but on a low scale, for nearly a century humanity found itself expendable from using them, particularly in heavily armored infantry. Only specific or groups battles without having full armor had some presence. In the Battle of Agincourt (1415) you can see that shields were hardly reported in this confrontation.

A Jousting knights fight really required the use of shields, but exclusively because it was a specific sport of piercing "direct" (was entertainment, lethal risks could not exist), even so the armor was already effective against pierces, unlike wars with heavy infantry, everyone dropped their shields to literally fight fights only with attack techniques that cause trauma. The dagger itself was one of the most useful and efficient weapons in combats against armor, in the search for a region unprotected by the plates.
Only a few specific Halberds or a good English longbow carried any real risk of piercing, in war heavy impact weapons were not used often as they were slow, imagine you use a heavy ax or a "Mace" and have three opponents at once same time to fighting.

In the advent of heavier plate armor, between the years 1350 to 1400, there were true "men of steel" on the battlefields, they were so strong enough in relation to any armament of the time that practically extinguished the shields, the fight itself was very different from sword fighting in the period without full armor... It was only in the 16th century with the advance of muskets, arquebuses, mines, grenades, mortars and cannons that the way of making war was affected and we had the almost complete elimination of armor.
1654265269818.png

Last edited:
Level 5
Actually, regarding the Orcs, you're really right on this point. As we said, the game is a fiction, but if taken seriously, the strength of an Orc and the piercing power it would have compared to an ordinary knight of the middle ages is a true fact. The shield might become necessary, as a single blow to the head would have enough gravity to kill, even without piercing. Lol
Now historically, shields were still used, but on a low scale, for nearly a century humanity found itself expendable from using them, particularly in heavily armored infantry. Only specific or groups battles without having full armor had some presence. In the Battle of Agincourt (1415) you can see that shields were hardly reported in this confrontation.

A Jousting knights fight really required the use of shields, but exclusively because it was a specific sport of piercing "direct" (was entertainment, lethal risks could not exist), even so the armor was already effective against pierces, unlike wars with heavy infantry, everyone dropped their shields to literally fight fights only with attack techniques that cause trauma. The dagger itself was one of the most useful and efficient weapons in combats against armor, in the search for a region unprotected by the plates.
Only a few specific Halberds or a good English longbow carried any real risk of piercing, in war heavy impact weapons were not used often as they were slow, imagine you use a heavy ax or a "Mace" and have three opponents at once same time to fighting.

In the advent of heavier plate armor, between the years 1350 to 1400, there were true "men of steel" on the battlefields, they were so strong enough in relation to any armament of the time that practically extinguished the shields, the fight itself was very different from sword fighting in the period without full armor... It was only in the 16th century with the advance of muskets, arquebuses, mines, grenades, mortars and cannons that the way of making war was affected and we had the almost complete elimination of armor.
View attachment 400812
its noted that the Battle of Angicourt was the last major conflict where the longbow was used after this is was solely gunpowder related weapon's

Level 1
I'm having some issues with nothing major but it involves the Lordaeron Crest on the Shield and Why it's not working is there something I missed in the Process of importing them to my map??? Any help from you all I greatly appreciate

Level 36
I'm having some issues with nothing major but it involves the Lordaeron Crest on the Shield and Why it's not working is there something I missed in the Process of importing them to my map??? Any help from you all I greatly appreciate
if you want them as default units then you must add the texture file for the shield in the retail folder

Level 36
I'm sorry, I have the same problem, can you show me with a picture, what should I do?
yes I sec. They will also receive an update soon. Nothing special just some additional things (animations not look)
1689275213411.png

That is where I put them. Also as a side note the original game does not show all the folders for the path so I use the quenching mod which gives the game a more realistic look and also makes all most all of the folders
1689275347844.png

I recommand it with full support

Level 36
the lordaeron footman has a spare sword on his back, except for idle animations.
yea something happened. i am updating all created models but in time because I have some moving to do.
Thank you a lot for the feedback I would have repaired them sooner but it takes people using my models in different ways to spot the issues that I miss. Really glad you used them and found the issue.