• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best METAL/PURE ROCK BANDS List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I've never liked Buckethead, but you have to admit he's a good guitarist, and obviously is "rock" thus pertains to the thread.

Wait.. did I just beat brad?

*screenshots*

Level 37
So wait... What genres is this topic for again? Coz some I got is:

Rytmihäiriö - Not quite sure where I'd put it.
Turmion Kätilöt - Industrial Metal
Wild Cherry - Funk/Rock
Tenacious D - Satirical Rock
I got more but I won't list them at the moment.
Did you say Turmion Kätilöt? I guess soon Kitabatake will come to here and say "I love you". He listen that insane band.

Btw, are you from Finland?

CYD

CYD

Level 4
So you just disregard anything that isn't head-banging generic bullcrap? Ok, that's good to know.

I disregard everything everything that I considere boring. Seems pretty natural to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're not allowed to have your opinion, just that your opinion is crap and you haven't given any reason why.

Well, you just can't explain it. I have some leads, for example the fact that Tool carries the burden of an over-intellectualized new age cryptic mumbo-jumbo, the flat sound & production of their CDs or the way they structure their songs - but in the end, there's just one fact ; I'm bored when I (try to) listen to a whole album. The worst is that I actually like a few song, and I also like side-projects of Maynard Keenan or other members ... but as far as Tool is concerned, it doesn't function on me.

Anyway, my opinion is that you're stupid. But hey, it's my opinion, doesn't make it true.

Dude, I didn't suscribe on a WC3 forum hoping to find new friends to take with me on holidays in Wonderland, or top-notch open-minded musicologists.

Level 14
Lol. You see me? This is me not caring.

1.) You've contributed nothing to the thread.
2.) You're exceedingly ignorant.
3.) I don't care what you think.

Have a nice day.

Level 14
I agree, I'm sorry Shiroaisu.

Back on-topic:
Some more bands that are considered rock but probably shouldn't be:

Bon Jovi
The Byrds
Country Joe and the Fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
David Bowie (Who doesn't love David Bowie?)
The Moody Blues (I kinda like them)
EDIT:
The Eurythmics (how could I have forgotten them >.>)
Flock of Seagulls
Duran Duran
Culture Club
Billy Idol
The Go-Gos
Warrant
R.E.M.
Velvet Revolver
Franz Ferdinand
The Melvins
The Smashing Pumpkins (I only like 1 song of theirs)

Level 36
The Smashing Pumpkins have plenty of great music from over the years, though perhaps some of their newer music is a little lack-luster, Tarantula is total win.

Their classics are unstoppable though, too bad they never play them anymore, 'Moving on' as Billy Corgan calls it.

Level 14
Eh, I don't pay much attention to the Smashing Pumpkins. I listened to that type of music during the 90s. And I don't know about you, but for the duration of the 90s.. I was 2-12 yrs old lol.

CYD

CYD

Level 4
Dragon Force is just a risible and ridiculous soporific band. Their concept is : 12-years-old heroic lyrics, hideous and boring solis, and the total inability to play live as on CD.

Level 14
Wow, I'll agree with CYD that Dragonforce is unable to play their own songs live. Obviously there's going to be difference from Studio and Live performances but Dragonforce really is atrocious.

Last edited:
Wow, I'll agree with CYD that Dragonforce is unable to play their own songs live. Obviously there's going to be difference from Studio and Live performances but Dragonforce really is atrocious.

Dude, shut up. Herman Li is the worlds second greatest guitar player of all time. Im pretty sure he could beat you anytime on the good ol' axe. If anyone can play their songs live, its Herman.

CYD

CYD

Level 4
Are whe talking about art & music, or about sport and performance ? Dragon Force is one of the most pityful bands in the worlds - beside Manowar.

Yes, they play very very fast, it sounds horrible, just like an 8 bit video game. Have you ever seen a music video of them ? Big close-up on the guitarist's finger, woooaaaa, I'm playing so faaaast, and I can still drink a beer at the same time, I'm soooo goooood ...

It's degree zero of originality and emotion, an awful reminiscence of the 80's heavy metal circus that should be made illegal by any government on Earth. Poor, boring and pointless, these guies and their fans should definitely watch Spinal Tap, that would show them what they really are : a bunch of clowns, admired by guitar-nerdz and technic-whores.

Oh, and the whole "he plays better than you, you're jealous" ... that kind of sophism will always make me laugh like hell. Only low-IQed stupid fan-boyz dare to proferate this kind of thing. The fact is, criticism can be made EVEN if you don't have the technical abilities of the author.

I'll talk about Nightwish tomorrow, class is over.

Level 12
Metal Church is missing... Not to mention Savatage. Both of those bands hit a sort of "religious experience" with their music.

Megadeth, Metallica, and Iced Earth are really awesome :D

For Savatage, listen to Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Ballet, and their first 2 albums.
For Metal Church you can listen to any of their 1st 3 albums.

Level 12
Are whe talking about art & music, or about sport and performance ? Dragon Force is one of the most pityful bands in the worlds - beside Manowar.

Yes, they play very very fast, it sounds horrible, just like an 8 bit video game. Have you ever seen a music video of them ? Big close-up on the guitarist's finger, woooaaaa, I'm playing so faaaast, and I can still drink a beer at the same time, I'm soooo goooood ...

It's degree zero of originality and emotion, an awful reminiscence of the 80's heavy metal circus that should be made illegal by any government on Earth. Poor, boring and pointless, these guies and their fans should definitely watch Spinal Tap, that would show them what they really are : a bunch of clowns, admired by guitar-nerdz and technic-whores.

Oh, and the whole "he plays better than you, you're jealous" ... that kind of sophism will always make me laugh like hell. Only low-IQed stupid fan-boyz dare to proferate this kind of thing. The fact is, criticism can be made EVEN if you don't have the technical abilities of the author.

I'll talk about Nightwish tomorrow, class is over.
Oh yes, becouse its 100% likely that the band actually forced the director of the video to actually zoom in on the guitar playing action?

Now let me do some mindless whining on my own and think about what I've actually said afterwards. I'm not a big dragonforce fan(not a "fan" at all to be honest, just think they are moderately good), but isnt a solo supposed to be some kind of "highlight" in a song? Yeah, lets zoom in on the drummer on the solo, that will please the fans(yes, i know, they have too many solos, and some of they waaaay too long, but still).

Im also wondering how you define emotional music. Is it the lyrics that define it, or the sound itself? Maybe its a combination of both? Anyhow, if you go ahead and look at the lyrics that are sung in Power Metal, you'll notice very many of the bands sing about fictional stories and adventures, so maybe that is what is unemotional. I can accept that, afterall, its your taste of art.

Lastly, I have this to say. PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS GET THINGS THEY DONT DESERVE! EVEN THINGS THAT ARENT PEOPLE! Look at DotA. Look at WoW. For those of you who don't like Dragonforce, just look at them. Look at Paris Hilton. Look at George W. Bush.

And finaly(yes, i know, there has already been a lastly), YouTube - Dragonforce Live - Through the Fire and the Flames - @ Belfast Mandela Hall 11/10/08 [High Quality] they have grown alot better since 06 for those of you who doubt(its not perfect quality)

*RantMode off*

offtopic : agree with you on the "your jealous" part though, but you have to have some knowledge about the subject(not saying you havent). That is like saying you can't ask someone to do something becouse you can't do it yourself.

CYD

CYD

Level 4
Oh yes, becouse its 100% likely that the band actually forced the director of the video to actually zoom in on the guitar playing action?

If Dragon Force has released this music video, it means (at least) that they like this idea and they support it. They caution it.

Now let me do some mindless whining on my own and think about what I've actually said afterwards. I'm not a big dragonforce fan(not a "fan" at all to be honest, just think they are moderately good), but isnt a solo supposed to be some kind of "highlight" in a song? Yeah, lets zoom in on the drummer on the solo, that will please the fans(yes, i know, they have too many solos, and some of they waaaay too long, but still).

Making highlight just for the sake of highlight is regressive and childish.

Im also wondering how you define emotional music. Is it the lyrics that define it, or the sound itself? Maybe its a combination of both? Anyhow, if you go ahead and look at the lyrics that are sung in Power Metal, you'll notice very many of the bands sing about fictional stories and adventures, so maybe that is what is unemotional. I can accept that, afterall, its your taste of art.

Let's say that these kind of lyrics are emotional, but these emtions are quite ... well, ridiculous and cheap. I mean, shouting about dragons, king and geeky wonderland with a fake opera voice isn't really a thing to be proud of.

Lastly, I have this to say. PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS GET THINGS THEY DONT DESERVE! EVEN THINGS THAT ARENT PEOPLE! Look at DotA. Look at WoW. For those of you who don't like Dragonforce, just look at them. Look at Paris Hilton. Look at George W. Bush.

I don't get your point. What do you want me to see when I look at Dragon Force ?

offtopic : agree with you on the "your jealous" part though, but you have to have some knowledge about the subject(not saying you havent). That is like saying you can't ask someone to do something becouse you can't do it yourself.

Agreed.

Level 12
I wasnt specifically "talking" to you when i said that "dont deserve thingy", but my point was that you can rant all you want how somebody or something doesnt deserve something, and why its wrong or stuff like that, but that doesnt change the fact that the world doesnt allow it(or something like that, i was in rant mode back then :p)

Level 2
Dude, shut up. Herman Li is the worlds second greatest guitar player of all time. Im pretty sure he could beat you anytime on the good ol' axe. If anyone can play their songs live, its Herman.

so not true ...

i can name you atleast 5 guitarist who can pwn herman even if they were BLIND! get it over faggotforce sucks .. they are just based on gay shreding and mario & pacman metalic sounds ..

Status
Not open for further replies.