• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beholder

Beholder, done upon request

A heads up:
This model uses all custom textures. Once I install WC3 on this PC I'll probably make a version with in-game particle textures.

Projectile Launch X: 0
Projectile Launch Y: 74
Projectile Launch Z: 88
Attack Animation Backswing Point: 250
Attack Animation Damage Point: 577

The missile can be found here
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/beholder-missile-228686

Keywords:
beholder, dungeons and dragons, dnd
Contents

Beholder (Model)

Assets
Reviews
16:08, 8th Jun 2012 DonDustin: the quality of the mesh and the textures is magnificant, but the file size could be a bit more effizient and the animations a bit more fluent DonDustin: Decided to change the rating to 5/5 beecause the mesh and texture...

M

16:08, 8th Jun 2012
DonDustin: the quality of the mesh and the textures is magnificant, but the file size could be a bit more effizient and the animations a bit more fluent
DonDustin: Decided to change the rating to 5/5 beecause the mesh and texture are too good for a 4/5 rating

Level 4
Wow.. Thanks... Surprised by what I got from a request..

This model's awesome, lol.

If possible I would like to request a few more animations.. (Perhaps it attacking with it's tendrils/Using them more?)

It's cool of you don't want to do that though.. :p

Level 21
Nah, most DC models with custom textures have +100-200 more kb than this. But it's no big deal, just a rating :p

But for the file size, I'll play with texture compressions to try and reduce it while maintaining quality.

Jack of Hearts, I don' think that I'll be adding more animations, sorry! I'd have to re-do all of the time consuming effects. And animating 10 tentacles is a painnn in Milkshape.

Level 4
I like it a lot, and I'm excited to see you're interested in making it even better.

It looks exactly like the concept that was requested of you. Once the changes are made, I expect this to be one of the next staple resources that appears in every demon map.

Level 25
That's some ridiculously amazing quality. How did it only get moderated 4/5? Tickles is sad :sadpanda: I can understand why it didn't get DC yet, but not a 4/5.

Anyway, great job with it (especially animating all of those tentacles). You'll have to settle with +rep in place of the missing rating.

Level 4
It is really perfect, such a nice idea and great quality. Also, I love models based on Dungeons & Dragons.

DEAR PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING THE FILE SIZES ARE TOO MUCH.

you guys do realise the "huge" file size is in direct relation with the 7 custom textures that it has?

and you do realise that this model in total, full animated, full custom textured with full working spectacular effects is 312kb. even smaller when imported in to the worled editor.

while this custom textured, non-animated attachment model is 204 kb

and this NON-custom, animated textured model is 253kb

and this crappily custom textured old version of the beholder that no one complains about the texture size is 768 kb.

so really, 312 kb is NOTHING. numerically speaking, you are "paying" around 60 kb more to have a fully fitting custom textured, custom effects, fully animated model in your map instead of just a custom model with an ingame texture. also having to use an ingame texture only model that need multiple textures instead of just a single one is really inefficient on your system. because instead of keeping 1 texture in the cache, you are keeping like 6.

60kb extra. for this awesome model. that is efficient and clean. are you people really going to complain about 60kb extra?

FURTHER ON WITH MY POINT.

lemme show you some fully animated and custom textured models. these dont have custom particle emitters and effects though.
328 kb
201kb
201kb
236kb
368kb
I would say these also average around from 200 to 300. 360 on some big ones. lets say average 250 for good measures.

NOW lets see some models with fully animated, custom textured and custom particle emitters.

NO OTHER ONES THAT I KNOW OF EXCEPT THIS ONE.

once again. 60kb extra for SET of custom particle emitters. do you guys really give a crap about 60 kb? especially when that 60 kb delivers such great effects?.

MORE ON
let us to some more math. map file size limit is what. 8mb? that is 8192kb
that is 26 off these full custom models that you can shove in. lets say get rid of about half for all the other crap that a map needs other than models. so like 13. arent you not happy that you can fit 13 fully custom models in your map instead of 14 or 15 of not so efficient ingame texture using models?

not to mention beholder is like a boss character. how do you even manage to fit 13 boss characters in a map?
and like i said, it is prolly even more compressed when in the editor.

so stop complaining about the file size. REALLY.

on another note. i see you are using some billboarded planes. if you can be bothered, you could prolly see about putting that effect texture somewhere on your main model texture. in the future. in one of the empty spaces. that would save even more file size. other than that, i dont see anything else

Last edited:
Level 21
Thanks for the further compliments guys, and yeah, the file size is a sacrifice for quality and uniqueness. I wanted to create my own effects and textures for this model, because well, it was fun and I can.

Pyramidhe@d, thanks for the explanation! I was going to make a similar post explaining the file size. And yeah, I probably could've included the EnergySpark. Too late now though :/ As for the EnergyBall textures, they needed to be individual textures because of the texture animation.

Level 6
DEAR PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING THE FILE SIZES ARE TOO MUCH.

you guys do realise the "huge" file size is in direct relation with the 7 custom textures that it has?

and you do realise that this model in total, full animated, full custom textured with full working spectacular effects is 312kb. even smaller when imported in to the worled editor.

while this custom textured, non-animated attachment model is 204 kb

and this NON-custom, animated textured model is 253kb

and this crappily custom textured old version of the beholder that no one complains about the texture size is 768 kb.

so really, 312 kb is NOTHING. numerically speaking, you are "paying" around 60 kb more to have a fully fitting custom textured, custom effects, fully animated model in your map instead of just a custom model with an ingame texture. also having to use an ingame texture only model that need multiple textures instead of just a single one is really inefficient on your system. because instead of keeping 1 texture in the cache, you are keeping like 6.

60kb extra. for this awesome model. that is efficient and clean. are you people really going to complain about 60kb extra?

FURTHER ON WITH MY POINT.

lemme show you some fully animated and custom textured models. these dont have custom particle emitters and effects though.
328 kb
201kb
201kb
236kb
368kb
I would say these also average around from 200 to 300. 360 on some big ones. lets say average 250 for good measures.

NOW lets see some models with fully animated, custom textured and custom particle emitters.

NO OTHER ONES THAT I KNOW OF EXCEPT THIS ONE.

once again. 60kb extra for SET of custom particle emitters. do you guys really give a crap about 60 kb? especially when that 60 kb delivers such great effects?.

MORE ON
let us to some more math. map file size limit is what. 8mb? that is 8192kb
that is 26 off these full custom models that you can shove in. lets say get rid of about half for all the other crap that a map needs other than models. so like 13. arent you not happy that you can fit 13 fully custom models in your map instead of 14 or 15 of not so efficient ingame texture using models?

not to mention beholder is like a boss character. how do you even manage to fit 13 boss characters in a map?
and like i said, it is prolly even more compressed when in the editor.

so stop complaining about the file size. REALLY.

on another note. i see you are using some billboarded planes. if you can be bothered, you could prolly see about putting that effect texture somewhere on your main model texture. in the future. in one of the empty spaces. that would save even more file size. other than that, i dont see anything else

Oh, I see. I was just shocked to see a 300+ kb size cause i watched other models and I see that they have 150- kb.

Last edited: