• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle Tactics [Turn Based Grid Combat]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Battle Tactics [Turn Based Grid Combat] BETA RELEASED

It's about time to bring this project to the public, almost time to beta test!

[Map Name] Battle Tactics (Original huh?)
[Max Players] 4
[Genre] Turn Based Strategy
[Status] Pre-Beta
[Main Features]
  • Completely Custom Grid Movement/Attack system
  • Everything is handled via the Custom System to provide utmost control
  • Custom Item system to allow for Slot/UnitType/Stat restrictions
  • Tons of content at launch providing for re-playability.
[Planned Features]
  • A.I. for Co-Op story mode and 1 Player battles.
[Game modes] Currently 2
-Classic
You start with 1 hero unit and have to aquire goldmines, purchasing units and items on the field.
-Arena
You start with 800 gold which to form your team and purchase items, no goldmines or shops on the fields.

It's been in progress for along time, the first map was coded in GUI (shudder) but wasn't what I wanted the map to be, so I learned vJass and rebuilt it from the ground up, now the only thing actually controlled by normal WC3 engine is the Graphics.

The plan for this map is to provide alot of quality content that is well balanced, while avoiding "over content" bombing of people. The game is easy to pickup but takes awhile to master.

Currently there are a handful of units with their own special abilities and strategy, about 20 items and 3 arenas. All of which are currently being expanded upon, Core system functions are almost complete, finalizing some Round based spells. Content is the last big hurdle, when I'm happy with the state of the map I'll upload here and take any suggestions.

===========================================
[EDIT] BETA DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE.
Get it here. View attachment BattleTactics1.5BETAlocked.w3x

---------
ChangeLog v1.5
-New RPG Mode! The first area/boss for the upcoming storyline! Type -mode RPG at the start to try it!
-New A.I. Aggro system! The AI will pick their targets based on how much aggro your unit has use the new command -swap or use the swap ability in rpg mode!
-New -roll command for loot drops in RPG mode.
-Tile selection improved!
-Various bug fixes / balance issues.
//Balance//
-Warrior now gains mana by attacking enemys and not by regen.
-Staff now grants +15 mana per round to the holder.
-Rogues BackStab increased to 2x agi up from 1.2x.

ChangeLog v1.4
-Added new arena "Ruins"
-Fixed various bugs.
-Fixed some performance issues.
-Added Basic A.I. (No abilitys yet) just make the desired player slot intro computer on game creation.
-Started work on Co-Op RPG mode.

ChangeLog v1.3
===BugFixes
-Fixed Purple Not Being Able to Place Bug.
-Fixed Range Bug.
-Fixed Selection Bug.
-Fixed Move Bug.
-Fixed Ready Bug.
-Fixed Height/Range Bug.
-Fixed up camera code.
-Fixed some Attack Pathing Issues.
-Fixed a Unit Buying Bug
-Fixed a -ready command Bug.
-Fixed Buying Unit When not your turn Bug.
===========
===Additions
-Recoded Arena Pathing and Goldmine/Tavern/Marketplace placing methods.
-Recoded Movement/Attack/Casting algorithms in preparation for A.I.
-Added a new arena for competitive play
-No longer have to reselect a unit when it switches to your turn, it automatically sets your currently selected unit the one in control.
-Changed the Selection Effect.
-Recoded Crit/Evasion (Now EVERYONE has a base 5% chance to do 1.5x Crit and 5% chance to evade all damage)
-Archers Skill is now renamed "Enhanced Crit" and give 30% crit chance for 2.0x damage.
-Added the ability to set turn time. Command is -timer xxx Default has been upped to 80 seconds.
-Added Arena descriptions.
-Clerics can now heal themselves.
==========
---------
ChangeLog v1.1
-Fixed a rare bug.
-Added Tooltips to spells.
---------

-4 Arenas to battle in.
-15 items.
-7 different units each with their own spells and abilities.
-2 game modes.
-2-4 player gameplay.

Want a long strategic match? I suggest playing CLASSIC mode.
If you want a fast paced death match play the ARENA mode.

This beta is to Stress Tess the system and sort through any bugs you can find, I've tested this many many times and fixed all the bugs I could, but you can't get all the bugs yourself, so let me know what you like about it, dislike about it or any bugs you find :D
===========================================

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS3.jpg

SS4.jpg

SS5.jpg

SS6.jpg

SS7.jpg

SS8.jpg

Last edited:
Level 3
Beta will be up for download either tonight or tomorrow, I'm doing some final tests before I release it to the public to tear it apart :)

Content to be released with the beta includes.

-4 Arenas to battle in.
-15 items.
-7 different units each with their own spells and abilities.
-2 game modes.
-2-4 player gameplay.

More info on release.

Level 3
Ya the thing with that is, you have to select the unit when it's your turn to make it the current selected unit registered by the game. I suppose I could see about making a script that runs when it's your turn that automatically makes the unit you have selected the registered one. I'll look into it :D! Glad you liked it, I'm actually releasing a new version right now, fixes a rare bug and add's tooltips to spells (oops forgot that part) :p

Level 3
*Bump* New Version!

ChangeLog v1.2
-Fixed up camera code.
-Fixed some Attack Pathing Issues
-Recoded Arena Pathing and Goldmine/Tavern/Marketplace placing methods.
-Recoded Movement/Attack/Casting algorithms in preparation for A.I.
-Fixed a Unit Buying Bug
-Added a new arena for competitive play
-Fixed a -ready command bug
-No longer have to reselect a unit when it switches to your turn, it automatically sets your currently selected unit the one in control.

Level 9
I've always been a fan of FFT/Ogre Tactics and I was quite surprised to see a TFT map as good as this. Very well done, and keep it up!

(You might wanna adjust the multiboard item widths a bit, text is overlapping)

Level 4
Just tried rpg mode, it was nicely done, AI was awesome, the golem was playing on my nervs, couldn't beat him after 3 trys >.< (online)

Level 8
Great project man Im so happy someone has finally done it. Buddy there isn't even any good MMO turn based grid rpg's. Keep up the good work, and do you learn skills in this or are you going to make it like a FFT job system?

Level 7
I haven't seen anything from TEC_Ghost in a while. I hope this project hasn't gone under. :\

Level 3
Still working on it actually, in the middle of overhauling the AI pathing into a more professional and accurate algorithm using A*.

New update should be out soon :D

Also, Aschy, Skills for now will be learned upon leveling for right now, might revisit it and make something more complex later, but we'll see how it pans out.

Last edited:
Level 3
Still working on it actually, in the middle of overhauling the AI pathing into a more professional and accurate algorithm using A*.

New update should be out soon :D

Also, Aschy, Skills for now will be learned upon leveling for right now, might revisit it and make something more complex later, but we'll see how it pans out.

Added a quick little Youtube video of the map and some commentary to the main post!

YouTube - Battle Tactics 1.5 Pre Beta WC3 Map

Level 3
A* Pathing for AI is now complete :D Gonna be working on new skills for the classes on level and hopefully some more RPG Story line and I will be releasing a new version soon :D

Status
Not open for further replies.