• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle Mages -1.6.8f-

Update: The versions made between 1.6.0e and 1.6.6d are made by RushSecond, who was updating the map in my stead. I have resumed work since. See http://comclan.co.cc/forum/index.php?board=5.0 for the Battle Mages forum.

Battle Mages can be best described as a tactical battle involving only heroes and destructive spells. The goal varies depending on what game type you are using. Team Elimination is a team game where each player has X amount of lives. The last team standing wins. Deathmatch is a free for all brawl that ends when someone gets to X kills. Team Deathmatch is deathmatch with teams. Capture the Flag is self-explanatory. Assault is a double-round attacker and defender type of game.

There are currently 58 spells that can go into your 6-slot hand, as well as 16 ultimate abilities that are accessible from your ability card. You use your spellbooks to remove and add spells to your hand so that you can quickly activate them at a moment's notice. Spells are purchased at the shops at the top-left corner of the map, otherwise called the "base", the only place in which the two teams don't fight each other. Spells, in addition to gold, require spell points to learn. Spell points are gained by investing in your spellpower attribute, translating to 2 spell points per spellpower point.

The actual gameplay is heavy on aiming and dodging, and there are several unique or highly dangerous spells in each of the four classes: Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Arcane. Each class shares some similar types of spells, but they all have some unique things that make them have tactical value. Fire is great for dealing a lot of raw damage, but it all-too-often hurts your own teammates and yourself, and is generally difficult to aim correctly. Ice doesn't do as much damage as the other elements, but it has a crucial slowing ability that makes the victim much easier to target. Ice also has a couple abilities that completely freeze your enemies, but those are high-level and costly spells. Lightning is all about accuracy and speed, though there are a few special lightning spells that are slow and powerful. Lightning also possesses the ability to add "charge" to those it hits, increasing the damage dealt with future attacks if you can continually land hits on that player. Lightning is a well-varied element, but it is nothing in comparison to the range of uses found in Arcane magic. Arcane is very hard to generalize, but it is, in essence, both utilitarian and potentially deadly. From spells that form walls to a beam attack that deals mana burn damage to a couple homing projectiles to a holy bolt that heals friends and enemies, Arcane has a place in any strategy.

There are also hybrid spells available to those who wish to learn more than one element. This is a slower path, but is generally worth it in the long haul. To get a hybrid spell, all you must do is learn all of the spells of the same tier in two elements, and a predetermined one of your current spells will be replaced with a far superior hybrid version. There are five tiers of spells, numbered after how many spell points they require to learn. There are tier 2, 3, and 4 hybrids, no tier 1 or 5 hybrids. For all intents and purposes, tier 4 hybrids are regarded as ultimate spells; once you learn a tier 5 spell or tier 4 hybrid, you can't learn another. There are 18 hybrids to find, in total.

I hope you have fun with this map and its variety!

Keywords:
Battle Mages, Battle, Mages, Spells, Mage, Combat, Magic, Fire, Ice, Lightning, Arcane, Meta, Hybrid, Fighting, Crazy, Arena, Deathmatch, Team, Spell
Contents

Battle Mages -1.6.8f- (Map)

Reviews
Mini-Me: Nice spells. Good gameplay. Gets a thumbs up from me :).
Level 2
Awesome game, but i'd like to suggest a slight reduction in the range of Arcane Bomb, or whichever arcane spell that does more damage the further it goes.
I havn't tried this version yet but last time it was capable of crossing most of the maps in one go, crashing into something, going boom and killing everything in an 800 AOE ^.^
Great game, 9/10 because I havn't figured out an undefeatable strategy yet.

Level 1
K I don't know if this has come up yet but when I host this map I get some complaints about having to use the number pad (and yes, I find it a little clunky, too). Wouldn't it be easier if the books and limit break abilities, etc. were in the item slots and the spells were actual spells? It just seems to me that hotkeys would make the game easier to learn and maybe even faster-paced. And also, in elimination, couldn't someone just sit in the safe area until only one opponent is left, weakened? Other than those two things this map is AMAZING. I really get a kick out of Fire's tier 5 spell and the cold ball that basically fills the screen with shards.

Level 2
If you sat there in Elimination, unless it was team, you wouldn't get much gold. The other person would likely be able to kick your ass with only a few spells.

Level 13
The problem with hotkeys for spells is that there are far too many spells to fit in the range of letters on the keyboard. Granted, there is a way to completely ignore the number of hotkeys by having six or seven copies of every spell for each slot in the command card and giving them a corresponding hotkey, but that method wouldn't be good for optimization; there would effectively be over 400 abilities for the game to look for when you cast.

Level 3
this map has good gameplay but its too imbalanced and gets bored because its long the minimum kills...
the ice is too weak at dmg could deal more damage and less slow.

Level 13
Most people complain the game doesn't last long enough... You must have played in a game full of people who can't aim.

As for the imbalance, I can't do anything about it unless you specify what is imbalanced. Ice is plenty powerful; with buildup and its spammy low-cost nature, it can do a fair deal of damage, especially late game. Ice is really fearsome in team games, too...

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Level 2
Hmmmm, you said youneed spell Ideas, I got a ton. Heres some ideas
Spell tree- Earth + High Damage, Higher spell levels can stun briefly -Spells come out slow, either through preperation or just traveling slowly (dropping a rock).
Spells- Rock- Throws a small rock at target location with high speed (one of the only fast earth spells),
Boulder- Drops a rock over target location (rock is kind of suspended in the air for a moment before falling),
Stoning- Fires 5 stones towards a location in succession (basically multiple castings of rock, but with a random projection infront of the caster within a certian area, mabye 90 degrees from the front?)
Rock Shower- A stream of stones in a line (Like a bunch of one time blizzards cast in a row, one right after the other)
Shockwave- like the spell (Mabye slow it down a bit?)
Tremor- A rent in the earth in a line (Like shockwave, but faster? I get this idea from the earthen fury spell)
Quake- the gorund ripples under the caster for a few seconds and then erupts in spikes (Gives some time for units to get out of the way)
Sand Storm- Creates a large area that gradually chips away at all inside (Basically 2 damage to all in the area for 30 seconds)
Avalanch- A random bombardment of falling rocks (They fall fast but dont deal much damage, basically like a starfall but random locations in the area around the caster)

Also for wind, its specialization could be area of effect, but the damage would be alot less. It would be hard to miss with a wind spell.

Level 3
this map is awsome and i love the fire spells. revenant, im making a map atm and hoping that u can help me with some spells, ummm the only spell that i really want to know how to creat is the fire bolt in your map so if you can help please reply.

Level 13
I use a fairly complicated movement and collision engine of my own design. You would have to make a recurring periodic trigger that moves the projectile in small steps until it comes in contact with something that it can damage. The specifics for your map will differ from mine, so I can't help you beyond giving you the theory behind it.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
He could instead send you a simple projectile system with a periodic event that moves the unit group every 0.05 sec or something. But that depends on what detection system you want. The best way is to eliminate all detection needs in the triggers and just use movement trigger and a trigger which adds the projectile. You basically only need movement engine and a trigger which adds firebolts.

Give the firebolt ward property and all units short range phönix fire which acts as a collision size detection which replaces the detection trigger. Thus the issue with this is of course selectable projectile and targetable projectile. Also you can disable characters ability to attack wards to prevent that.

Or you can use 3 triggers with detection, which probably fits your request.

Level 13
The trick to detection with locused units ramming other locused units is to have a system where the x, y, and z coordinates of all projectiles are stored in an array. You would have to create a system where each projectile is assigned a number that corresponds to the array number... Just check if the projectile is within the correct radius (fairly easy, just find the closest projectile in xyz terms, be sure to remember the distance formula and apply it twice to factor in three dimensions) and you will be fine.

Level 13
I can't. The spell is incredibly map-specific. You literally have to build the map around the spells if you do it the way I did.

That's why I am trying to tell you how to make it yourself. If you wish, use unit groups to pick every projectile and move them by small increments every 0.04 seconds.

Level 2
Lightning is way to overpowered.

Nah, I dont find it overpowered at all. It rewards accuracy with its high speed and the charge thing, and lacks much aoe that the other spells have.

I use fire, and have never lost a round (Unless your one of those people that feed on my devestation, I have lost a game because this one guy kept stealing my kills).

Fire is my favorite for its raw damage and explosions (Although I end up killing myself sometimes in my battle frenzy). It all depends on your play style. Have you tried all the elements? If you think lightning is overpowered work on your dodging.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Yeah, it's a great map. Unfortunately the warlock map is muuuch more popular on b.net than this great masterpiece. This map is pro, but for some reason I never see this map hosted anymore.... This isn't as easy to play as warlock, so it may be the main reason.

Level 1
Lightning is way too overpowered - I agree.

Fire may have aoe, but lightning's got the highest damage with instant spells - e.g. in 'time-slow-down-thing-mode' lightning's got no negative sides since the protectiles are instant.

In a map where the majority of the spells are protectiles, instant spells are way too powerfull.
Thor's hammer are op too, well in my oppinion at least... Like instant kill compared to Arcane's ultimate which sucks unless people get hit directly by it at 1000 range... Frost's ultimate is quite freaky, but doesn't outright kill people in it.

Level 2
Theres no imbalances. I have won a game using all the elements pure, then mixing and matching. My favorites are Fire, Meta, or the Lightning/Ice combo for the frozen orb. It depends on game lentgh and stuff. I usually max int and spellpower before going for endurance, alternating between them.

Level 3
Kk, i've played it with friends and its really good. An AI would be useful for testing issues but its not necessary for this map i think after playing it. Good Job 4/5

Level 2
lol this map has very improved after i was so long offline^^ i vote again 5/5 for you any time + rep :D

Level 12
w00t, Battle Mages is still alive! Thx for giving us quality things to play on bnet, for once!
And gogo for studies, cuz thats important too, but i'm glad to see you had the wiseness to do what was needed for BM to keep going. You're definitely great, mr Dark.