• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle Mages -1.6.8f-

Update: The versions made between 1.6.0e and 1.6.6d are made by RushSecond, who was updating the map in my stead. I have resumed work since. See http://comclan.co.cc/forum/index.php?board=5.0 for the Battle Mages forum.

Battle Mages can be best described as a tactical battle involving only heroes and destructive spells. The goal varies depending on what game type you are using. Team Elimination is a team game where each player has X amount of lives. The last team standing wins. Deathmatch is a free for all brawl that ends when someone gets to X kills. Team Deathmatch is deathmatch with teams. Capture the Flag is self-explanatory. Assault is a double-round attacker and defender type of game.

There are currently 58 spells that can go into your 6-slot hand, as well as 16 ultimate abilities that are accessible from your ability card. You use your spellbooks to remove and add spells to your hand so that you can quickly activate them at a moment's notice. Spells are purchased at the shops at the top-left corner of the map, otherwise called the "base", the only place in which the two teams don't fight each other. Spells, in addition to gold, require spell points to learn. Spell points are gained by investing in your spellpower attribute, translating to 2 spell points per spellpower point.

The actual gameplay is heavy on aiming and dodging, and there are several unique or highly dangerous spells in each of the four classes: Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Arcane. Each class shares some similar types of spells, but they all have some unique things that make them have tactical value. Fire is great for dealing a lot of raw damage, but it all-too-often hurts your own teammates and yourself, and is generally difficult to aim correctly. Ice doesn't do as much damage as the other elements, but it has a crucial slowing ability that makes the victim much easier to target. Ice also has a couple abilities that completely freeze your enemies, but those are high-level and costly spells. Lightning is all about accuracy and speed, though there are a few special lightning spells that are slow and powerful. Lightning also possesses the ability to add "charge" to those it hits, increasing the damage dealt with future attacks if you can continually land hits on that player. Lightning is a well-varied element, but it is nothing in comparison to the range of uses found in Arcane magic. Arcane is very hard to generalize, but it is, in essence, both utilitarian and potentially deadly. From spells that form walls to a beam attack that deals mana burn damage to a couple homing projectiles to a holy bolt that heals friends and enemies, Arcane has a place in any strategy.

There are also hybrid spells available to those who wish to learn more than one element. This is a slower path, but is generally worth it in the long haul. To get a hybrid spell, all you must do is learn all of the spells of the same tier in two elements, and a predetermined one of your current spells will be replaced with a far superior hybrid version. There are five tiers of spells, numbered after how many spell points they require to learn. There are tier 2, 3, and 4 hybrids, no tier 1 or 5 hybrids. For all intents and purposes, tier 4 hybrids are regarded as ultimate spells; once you learn a tier 5 spell or tier 4 hybrid, you can't learn another. There are 18 hybrids to find, in total.

I hope you have fun with this map and its variety!

Keywords:
Battle Mages, Battle, Mages, Spells, Mage, Combat, Magic, Fire, Ice, Lightning, Arcane, Meta, Hybrid, Fighting, Crazy, Arena, Deathmatch, Team, Spell
Contents

Battle Mages -1.6.8f- (Map)

Reviews
Mini-Me: Nice spells. Good gameplay. Gets a thumbs up from me :).

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Team with less players due to leaving will always lose. Either bring back the stat distribution when there are leavers or make a autobalance system which forces equal teams if there is 2 less on one team, randomly swaps a player to the other team. The hosts doesn't always use the -swap command and the game could end up with 4vs1. Add a autobalance option on start so the host can perhaps select it when the team elimination is selected.

Level 13
I can't update the map for a while, but one of the things I'll add is at least one obvious message to the players that talks about the -swap command.

I really hate autobalancing; much better to put a human in charge of such important decisions than the computer's random dice roll.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
This map is so great, that it sometimes but rarely being hosted randomly on b.net. Not many new maps become so popular. Dota completely owns the custom games of b.net. But hey, isn't this map great enough to be submitted at http://www.wc3campaigns.net/ ?

Level 13
Not yet. Gameplay wise, the map is great. However, next time I can use WC3, I will spend upwards of a week optimizing the map, possibly even rewriting the movement engine (I may skip that, as I would have to rewrite thousands of lines of GUI into JASS).

Level 9
Hey Rev. been a while, just looked around randomly and poof here came up a map of yours, pretty nice map man. Nothing more to say, I'd reminisce but nows not the place, I'd give some constructive criticism and maybe an idea or two, but looks like your nearly done.
I give your map a 9, itd be a 10 but its beta which tells me you don't think its as best as it can be, so I'm forced to ask why should it receive the best rating a map can get.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
WooooW effects has really been cooler!!! It was I while ago I have tried it. I noticed the new flame effects!

It get 10000000000000000000++++...../10 from me

I bet it instantly wins a arena spell war map contest if someone would arrange such map contest ^^

There is so much bad maps that you find when you diggin the shit on b.net... This map make wc3 last longer....

:O it already got 62 comments!!!!

Level 13
1.17 was barely different than 1.16b, and 1.18 and its iterations for some reason ignored all the triggers in the map. Now, he have 1.19, which is the real updated version. It boasts several fixes, a couple additions, some balancing changes, etc...

However, the real reason of this message is to say this: The next milestone for Battle Mages is to implement hybrid spells. Eighteen to be exact. For each element pair, there will be one hybrid for each tier!

TKF

TKF

Level 19
"Dark.Revenant" said:
However, the real reason of this message is to say this: The next milestone for Battle Mages is to implement hybrid spells. Eighteen to be exact. For each element pair, there will be one hybrid for each tier!

So if you for example learns all tier 2 spells of ice and lightning magic (That would be all spells that costs 2 spell points to research), there will be created a hybrid spell ^^

Can't wait for the next version xD....

Level 1
Hey there, LOVE the game (1.23b) but I can't really figure out hybrid spells... do they only exist for Tier 2? EG: If I learn all the Tier 2 spells for Lightning and Ice, I get the hybrid skill Ice Charge, which is cool... but if I learn all the Tier 3 or 4 spells for Lightning and Ice, I DON'T get a hybrid spell? Confused :S

Level 2
I just love it! I just tested Team Deathmatch and that was great. Keep up the good work.

Level 1
The idea is original and the cool effects of the spells allows you to have a sense of playing a game with far better graphics than warcraft III. The only improvement this map could achieve is probably an AOS mode in which there are units other than your heroes.

Level 1
this map is awesome!! i really like the gameplay and style of spells... maybe something new... like new schools of magic (nature, shadow... etc.) will be a great addition

Level 13
Thank you for all of the positive support!

I am working on more spells, but they aren't elemental. The Meta magic school, after all, is not your every-day magic school.

At this point, it would be possible to add more elements, but each new element I add requires exponentially more work to add. I'd have to add a whopping 23 spells (over a third more) to accommodate a single additional full element. I'd have to add 49 spells to include two additional elements.

Level 13
Lightning now adds "charge" to its victims. Basically, the fast-dissipating charge amplifies damage on people. This is at a ratio of 1 charge point = 1% extra damage for all attacks on that player. Bolt, for example, adds 10 charge to anyone it hits. Charge dissipates at a rate of 2 per second.

Level 5
I like this map alot, I can own all my friends on this map using fire. Good job and great creativity!

Level 2
Rapid Casting needs to not apply to limits. I had ice fortress cast, rapid casting hit, I cast again, fatal error.