• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bad Rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Oh noes, a gaming company wants more money, I should definitely slit my wrists. Grow up people, they are all capitalists... and get a life. It is so nice outside, you know.
Do you cut yourself...? o_O"
(don't lie 'cause you have no reason to)

And mhm... a game making company OF COURSE needs money!
How the hell do you think they pay for electricity? :xxd:
Or water
Or softwares!
Or new computers...
Or to pay the workers at the company
And, so far, i haven't seen any non-profit game making company...

Level 12
No cost to play online, 4,000,000 buy SC2. Cost to play SC2 online, 2,000,000 buy SC2. Personally, Blizzard can't disappoint because they never have. Faith people, MORE FAITH!

The more faith you have in a company the more help from God they get in making a fantastic game along with fantastic choices and prices!

[Off Topic] Little Big Planet is amazing and probably needs 1,000 servers. They charge no fee to play it, just to buy it, and yet they are making huge profit off their game that only runs on the least selling console system.

Level 34
I don't believe someone's actually arguing that blizzard isn't doing their job right.

10,000,000*15(USD (middle range of their scale))= 150,000,000

They make that much, per month. They won't be running SC2 at a loss, because people will still buy it. By making SC2 BNet features, they're going to be making even more money because I can guarantee a lot of saddacts will still buy it.
They don't make that much per month, that 10,000,000 counts people that stopped playing WoW years ago.

About EA: They are actually starting to take produce good sports games again, which is awesome to see. NHL 09 is one of the best games this year imo, and Fifa 09 is supposed to be really good, and finially better than Winning Elven.

Level 24
In my country,30.000 thousand people ligned up in front of the mall just to await Wotlk to be unwrapped and ready to be sold!

They awaited until 1 AM ,others stood all night to play it live.

And that just in my town,imagine the capital,and Wotlk costs about 120 $ here in Romania!

''Every moment counts'' - Said one of them!

Level 36
They don't make that much per month, that 10,000,000 counts people that stopped playing WoW years ago.

About EA: They are actually starting to take produce good sports games again, which is awesome to see. NHL 09 is one of the best games this year imo, and Fifa 09 is supposed to be really good, and finially better than Winning Elven.

No, but they still make close to 150 million a month, according to Blizzard, from everything, game sales, subscriptions, paid services, etc.

I can't remember what magazine I read it in, but yeah, a Blizzard director confirmed it, and also stated that 25% or 2.5 million of that number come from China.

Level 34
No, but they still make close to 150 million a month, according to Blizzard, from everything, game sales, subscriptions, paid services, etc.

I can't remember what magazine I read it in, but yeah, a Blizzard director confirmed it, and also stated that 25% or 2.5 million of that number come from China.
Well then...

Too bad share holders make all the money, the old bastards. How much go to the actual designers?

Level 25
I have read much replies on Diii.Net - The Diablo 3 community website with wiki. forums, movies, interviews and more. on this theme, many people are pissed off and they have the right on it, Diablo II was and is a greatest RPG i ever played, now they want to take out LAN and TCP/IP way of play, disallow single player item trading, bring only one class from Diablo II( the big and stupid Barbarian) not any other, kick the potions, introduce some stupid orb-heal system(which could be good, but still no potions :{), and make every single item take about 2x2 cm on screen - read every item is same in size o_O
This is blasphemy contrary to the good and only Diablo II.

Level 17
I have read much replies on Diii.Net - The Diablo 3 community website with wiki. forums, movies, interviews and more. on this theme, many people are pissed off and they have the right on it, Diablo II was and is a greatest RPG i ever played, now they want to take out LAN and TCP/IP way of play, disallow single player item trading, bring only one class from Diablo II( the big and stupid Barbarian) not any other, kick the potions, introduce some stupid orb-heal system(which could be good, but still no potions :{), and make every single item take about 2x2 cm on screen - read every item is same in size o_O
This is blasphemy contrary to the good and only Diablo II.

Yeh, well blizzard just became a fool. =:D Stupid little company. ^^
Meh who cares, let's just be console freaks! PS5 and Wii2 people! xD

Level 17
Yeah, they are ruining the game, and i was even hoping in playing it when they announced it, now i just hope they will fix these "errors" in their new game and stop being so damn greedy.

Once u go bla.. err I mean greedy, there is no going back. So just to tell you that hoping for blizzard to go back to good quality, is a dream that will never come true.

So instead of sleeping I aresz going to do different things. =D Who cares about a emo game that's most likely getting people killed like wow.
Did u knew that they have been using subliminal messages in wow?.. :p

Level 8
From what I have seen in this topics are "opinions". No one here is wrong. Some people have more money to spend than others, some have more time to spend on games, some love Blizzard's games, some are "ok" with blizzard's games.

Guys, no one here is wrong, everyone here is their own mind. Sure, I've seen some things that I feel are correct, and that's *my* opinion.

You can tell people to "go outside more", but maybe people would rather stay inside because either, it's raining (I wish it would rain more where I'm at :cry:) or maybe they just don't want to go outside this week and they want to play Xbox after being at school or work all day.

Opinions.

Level 17
From what I have seen in this topics are "opinions". No one here is wrong. Some people have more money to spend than others, some have more time to spend on games, some love Blizzard's games, some are "ok" with blizzard's games.

Guys, no one here is wrong, everyone here is their own mind. Sure, I've seen some things that I feel are correct, and that's *my* opinion.

You can tell people to "go outside more", but maybe people would rather stay inside because either, it's raining (I wish it would rain more where I'm at :cry:) or maybe they just don't want to go outside this week and they want to play Xbox after being at school or work all day.

Opinions.

Believe me you don't want that, it makes people depressed. And you know what depressed people do... o_O
And the last line applies to me, hell why go outside if you can play nice games? I only go outside if I'm forced to either go to school or if its warmer outside then inside. xD

I hope they release a demo and more information about the games soon.

Level 11
Sorry, but I stopped reading there.

If we really do have to pay to play SC3 and Diablo 3 online... well, I know I won't be purchasing either : /

Heh, couldn't have said it better. Still, I've heard of this rumor before and some people say it's not gonna happen at all, other's are acting as if the day of the final doom has came, buut.. I think I rather believe that Blizzard won't do such shit. No matter how greedy they are and how much more money they want, they can't go so dumb as to make us pay for playing Diablo or StarCraft. They have their WoW, they have enough already -.-

Level 17
Saying WoW is slowly dying is like saying the world will eventually come to an end; of course it is, but it'll take a long time to happen.

You are making WoW sound as if it is an uber game.
But it's not, sure for people that like playing RPG games it's great.
But the graphics are outdated severely.
And next to that there are new MMORPG game like Warhammer Online and Darkfall.

I have to agree that no game really dies, but in a few years, WoW might only have half of it's players that it has now.

It's the same for wc3, it's very old and has outdated graphics but still a lot of people can be found playing on Bnet, maybe not as much as back in the old days.. But still a lot.

And uhm.. Ash, comparing a game with the world is kinda severe. :p

You are both kinda right, anyway we are kinda getting offtopic here. Let's get back on topic.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
WoW is not an uber game, it is brown heroine.

It's shit, 'addictive' and will cost you a lot of money in the long run.

I've only played it once, though; repetitive crap isn't my type of thing.

Level 8
It really pisses me off to see threads like this. Seriously, first of all, get your information right, they are NOT doing a P2P B-net, for either SC2 or D3, both will have some features that can be "Bought" but you do not need to pay to play. Don't say "Give me an article to prove it" because I'm on nearly every Sc2 and D3 forum, I think I have my info correct here. Not to mention I check the websites and articles at least 100 times a day (yeah big sc2 ad d3 nerd/fan here).

Second, you guys really need to calm down. It really makes me sad to see whiny baby's cry about something they have no idea they are talking about. It's as if you think Blizzard is a god, as if they have cash already and they do not need money. All your posts seem to me like "OMG BLIZZARD IS TRYING TO MAKE MONEYZ, KILZZ THEMZ!". Blizzard is a CORPORATION, not a COMPANY. There is a huge difference and I think a lot of you don't understand that.

A Corporation makes profit, if they work for a Company they split the money with the Company that has bought them and the Company pays them to make games. Lucky for us Blizzard works with a patient Company that can wait for the cash to pile in, although I think WoW keeps them happy.

I don't think I really need to explain a Company, they pretty much are a band of corporations or groups, and if they have the money they buy out corporations to work for them. I forgot who Blizzard work for, but it was mentioned in a thread in Sc2armory. Anyway, my point is, they don't get as much money as you think they do. They need to pay for services and workers to make games. Hands down, Blizzard will make great games always, they have not lost there ways, they are not greedy, they are doing what they are supposed to do. Make money.

Don't even get started with the EA thing, if you think EA is better or nearly better then Blizzard, you are pathetic. (Not that EA is bad, just that you are stupid to compare it to Blizzard especially since EA is a Company not a Corporation) I may seem like I'm being an idiot or stupid but I'm just trying to get the point across because this has happened so many times, It really tires me to explain it to most of you. No hard feelings guys :smile:

Level 17
It really pisses me off to see threads like this. Seriously, first of all, get your information right, they are NOT doing a P2P B-net, for either SC2 or D3, both will have some features that can be "Bought" but you do not need to pay to play. Don't say "Give me an article to prove it" because I'm on nearly every Sc2 and D3 forum, I think I have my info correct here. Not to mention I check the websites and articles at least 100 times a day (yeah big sc2 ad d3 nerd/fan here).

Second, you guys really need to calm down. It really makes me sad to see whiny baby's cry about something they have no idea they are talking about. It's as if you think Blizzard is a god, as if they have cash already and they do not need money. All your posts seem to me like "OMG BLIZZARD IS TRYING TO MAKE MONEYZ, KILZZ THEMZ!". Blizzard is a CORPORATION, not a COMPANY. There is a huge difference and I think a lot of you don't understand that.

A Corporation makes profit, if they work for a Company they split the money with the Company that has bought them and the Company pays them to make games. Lucky for us Blizzard works with a patient Company that can wait for the cash to pile in, although I think WoW keeps them happy.

I don't think I really need to explain a Company, they pretty much are a band of corporations or groups, and if they have the money they buy out corporations to work for them. I forgot who Blizzard work for, but it was mentioned in a thread in Sc2armory. Anyway, my point is, they don't get as much money as you think they do. They need to pay for services and workers to make games. Hands down, Blizzard will make great games always, they have not lost there ways, they are not greedy, they are doing what they are supposed to do. Make money.

Don't even get started with the EA thing, if you think EA is better or nearly better then Blizzard, you are pathetic. (Not that EA is bad, just that you are stupid to compare it to Blizzard especially since EA is a Company not a Corporation) I may seem like I'm being an idiot or stupid but I'm just trying to get the point across because this has happened so many times, It really tires me to explain it to most of you. No hard feelings guys :smile:

Whatever, you have your opinion, and we have ours.
And in mine Blizzard has become a money whore.
And sure EA sucks, but at least they are not being lame by splitting a game in 3 just so they can sell it three times. -.-

BTW, forums contain bull in 99% of the cases, this applies to this thread and all those threads u are so busy with.

Last but not least, I don't give a damn what u think, no hard feelings though.

Level 8
Whatever, you have your opinion, and we have ours.
And in mine Blizzard has become a money whore.
And sure EA sucks, but at least they are not being lame by splitting a game in 3 just so they can sell it three times. -.-

BTW, forums contain bull in 99% of the cases, this applies to this thread and all those threads u are so busy with.

Last but not least, I don't give a damn what u think, no hard feelings though.

This has nothing to do about what we think, these are true facts. Lol 99% cases. Do you have any idea about the production of Sc2, or anything of how information gets out to the world? Forums. I bet you all my money the Sc2 forums (fan based) will have more information out there then the official forums which are dead and full of nerdgin trolls. Also, I never said EA sucked, I said you can never compare them especially since they are both completely different. Blizzard is a corporation and has different motives, EA is a company and has a completely different motive. Blizzard has not become a Money Whore. You seriously have no Idea why they are making 3 split games. Yes the split and the extra money makes it better to do but was no where near why they decided on it.

They decided to do the split since they had already been working on the first Terran campaign for nearly a year and have just nearly finished it with 30 missions and realized it will take too long to do all campaigns. Now just for a minute imagine if they did all three campaigns in one package with each containing 30 missions. Do you realize this would take maybe 2 extra years? You have to look at why Blizzard would do this, they don't want to loose their reputation of making quality games, they want the best for the games and money always comes first giving WoW an exception (still they work their ass off to make WoW interesting still after so long). Think of the benefitials for this:

- 3x the campaign including bonus mini campaigns for each package.
- New units every package
- Better and improved World Editor each package
- Balancing to the max, by the time all three packages are out it will be perfect
- More cinematics
- More time to improve on the Campaign itself.

I understand your point of view, but just understand this that your looking at this in the wrong way, if anything it is benefitial for us like I stated.

Level 8
Did you read anything I said? They are not becoming greedy, get this through your heads people. Companys and Corporations don't make games for fun. Ohh according to you "OMGZ THEY WANT TO MAKE MOREZ MONEYZ THEY ARE GREEDY!" thats all I see in your post. They are not greedy they are doing what their goal is and it is to make money. Stop throwing words around. They are not greedy, want to keep argueing about it? Go ahead, say they are greedy. But if you were a corporation would you not want to make more money? Yeah I'm pretty sure you would. Blizzard is not doing the split because they want more money, it's just an extra that works out for them. If they simplified the campaign then they would loose their reputation for quality games so it's the best way to go (unless you would want to wait another 3 years for the game to complete).

So according to you, a solid game and and two expansions isn't good. You realise the other games are like expansions right? the only difference is that they are stand alone. Also price is not a problem lol. If you can't get a job thats not Blizzards problem. Go work for burger King or some crap and you get around $100 a week. It's not hard. Also comparing the wait for each package is quite long. The first is coming soon, then it will take about another year for the other to release. So by then I'm sure you can afford $50.

Last edited:
Level 8
Seriously no hard feelings on any of you. I'm just backing my favourite game maker up. The thing is not a lot of you follow the production of Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. And even if you do your about... 5 months behind. This descussion is so old it isn't funny. And people STILL are talking about false information. I just wanted to make sure you knew the right info so you don't start getting false impressions.

Level 34
kingbdogz, I had issues with you in that other thread, but man I feel for you in this one. Although I have to say, you're going to get people posting like that when you write a novel every post. Get a few key points, and paraphrase a lot.

I disagree that all companies goals are to make money. I think Vavle is a pretty genuine company that really believes in making quality games. They might actually be willing to make less money if it means a better experience for the gamer, and/or a better game.

I think Blizzard has become a little more greedy than they use to be. The fact that they are such a huge publicly traded company has a lot to do with it I'm sure. It's probably not the developers making the millions off WoW, but the executives and share holders, and they probably don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the player.

Level 8
You guys still don't see the point I'm trying to cross out to you. Yes Blizzard may have become slightly more greedy (with all the power and money they have who wouldn't?) but that does not mean they have changed. They are still better then EA, they still make mind blowing games, they still give support to an ELEVEN year old game with patches still flowing in, and yes I'm talking about Starcraft. They just released a patch a few days ago. I don't know why some of you are angry about this. First of all the split is so benefitial but your still complaining that their greedy but don't even look on the good side of things. Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2's battle net will cost NOTHING what so ever but you guys still think they do. Just don't think you guys should post things like this till you are totally sure about your statements.

kingbdogz, I had issues with you in that other thread, but man I feel for you in this one. Although I have to say, you're going to get people posting like that when you write a novel every post. Get a few key points, and paraphrase a lot.

Ahh I need to cut down on my writing. xD

I disagree that all companies goals are to make money. I think Vavle is a pretty genuine company that really believes in making quality games. They might actually be willing to make less money if it means a better experience for the gamer, and/or a better game.

There may be some companys that don't really care much of money. But you have to agree generally a lot of companys main goal is to get as much money as they can, even if it means cutting some money to make a product better.

I think Blizzard has become a little more greedy than they use to be. The fact that they are such a huge publicly traded company has a lot to do with it I'm sure. It's probably not the developers making the millions off WoW, but the executives and share holders, and they probably don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the player.

This is true, but I think this has been a huge influence from Activision Blizzard. It's ever since Activision merged with them they started making some pretty risky moves. I mean come on why would Blizzard announce that Starcraft 2 was going to be split the way they did it. Blizzard isn't that stupid, I think it's Activision behind all this fuss. I could be wrong though, even Blizzard can make mistakes. They lost a lot of customers that day, because a lot of them didn't understand how the split worked. They thought each product had each race so in the first you could only play terran.

Level 34
This is true, but I think this has been a huge influence from Activision Blizzard. It's ever since Activision merged with them they started making some pretty risky moves. I mean come on why would Blizzard announce that Starcraft 2 was going to be split the way they did it. Blizzard isn't that stupid, I think it's Activision behind all this fuss. I could be wrong though, even Blizzard can make mistakes. They lost a lot of customers that day, because a lot of them didn't understand how the split worked. They thought each product had each race so in the first you could only play terran.
I doubt Activision has much to do with it. They also haven't lost a lot of customers. SC2 will rake in the millions for them. Half of Korea will have it on the first day.

Level 2
on the bright side 3 separate games do have the advantage of keeping the game alive over a long period of time and as kingbdogz said, It will mean that blizzard will be able to cope with fixing up the campaign editor as well as the actual game over a long time, and in amounts which would be cruel to put into a downloadable patch. Also, the starcraft 2 dev team said that each different game would not have a cliffhanger ending, which is not such a bad thing either.

I wonder what people would have said if blizzard had stated that they would release the terran campaign in the original campaign and that they were bringing out the other campaigns in expansion packs, though to be fair, it's not that different...

Level 2
I just found this, I think it will help a lot.
Monetization
[]
Following a BlizzCon Diablo III interview in which Activision Blizzard employee Julian Wilson mentioned "monetizing" battle.net, Rob Pardo clarified that only some extra features may carry a charge.[9]

Rob Pardo: With Battle.Net we're definitely looking at possible different features that we might be able to do for additional money. We're not talking about Hellgate or anything like that. We're not going to tack things on. I think World of Warcraft is a great example to look at. We charge people if they want to switch servers or if they want name changes, things that aren't core to the game experience, they're really just optional things that some people want. It takes us some development work to do it, so it makes sense to charge for it. We would never do something like say to get the full game experience, you'll have to pay extra.[9]
[]
Perhaps this comment is what caused this rumor in the first place? I don't think that they will make you pay for battle.net, and changing features of your profile, but not adding anything a non-paying player can't add aswell is an alright idea to me

Level 8
on the bright side 3 separate games do have the advantage of keeping the game alive over a long period of time and as kingbdogz said, It will mean that blizzard will be able to cope with fixing up the campaign editor as well as the actual game over a long time, and in amounts which would be cruel to put into a downloadable patch. Also, the starcraft 2 dev team said that each different game would not have a cliffhanger ending, which is not such a bad thing either.

I wonder what people would have said if blizzard had stated that they would release the terran campaign in the original campaign and that they were bringing out the other campaigns in expansion packs, though to be fair, it's not that different...

Exactly, also, not to mention we will get new units each pack, so they really will just be really awesome expansion packs. And this way, if Sc2 ends and there is not going to be a sc3, we get the sc2 campaign over the years so it will feel like we are playing sc3 when we get the zerg expansion then sc4 with the protoss one.

Level 7
Exactly, also, not to mention we will get new units each pack, so they really will just be really awesome expansion packs. And this way, if Sc2 ends and there is not going to be a sc3, we get the sc2 campaign over the years so it will feel like we are playing sc3 when we get the zerg expansion then sc4 with the protoss one.

Yeah too bad I'll play all 3 campaigns at once :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.