• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Attention - Steam Store caching issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Steam may have been compromised. AVOID using ANYTHING related to steam. DO NOT USE THE STORE. DO NOT VISIT STEAM URLS.

DISCONNECT any payment methods from STEAM.

REMOVE STEAM from your PAYPAL approved list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
Do not diconnect paypal or credit card info via steam site. Do not access at all do it from your card/bank service or paypal account. Store is currently down but not recommended to access any steam related client or site info. Not even to change your password. Users have reported that either they were logged into their own account but had access to other user's info or that their browser translated their page to another language. All account and financial info is at risk or exposed. See https://twitter.com/SteamDB for latest information.

Level 5
Ok.. Stay calm.
Stay calm..

PANIC MODE ACTIVATED

Lol right? The forums are lighting up like a christmas tree with legal threats and so on when they really have no ammunition to use against them.

Unofficially no financial information was ever even exposed according to Steam but waiting for an official update from developers.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Lol right? The forums are lighting up like a christmas tree with legal threats and so on when they really have no ammunition to use against them.

Unofficially no financial information was ever even exposed according to Steam but waiting for an official update from developers.

Names, Emails, Addresses, last 4 digits of credit cards have been publicly leaked. Not good Volvo, not good.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Edited the title, and dropping some knowledge. Steam was not hacked. Steam's caching servers died, and what happened is pages that should never be cached were. This resulted in users getting the cached pages of other users, and sometimes seeing names, addresses, email addresses and some card details.

It was a read-only issue (no payments were falsely processed) but you might want to keep an eye on your payment details for a while.

I am going to leave this here for visibility, but it is more suited to Computer Tech/General Gaming.

Level 34
Thanks Ash.

This message was brought to you by the fact that there are stupid rep limits.

Roland

R

Roland

This message was brought to you by the fact that there are stupid rep limits.

Damn, That made me laugh. I agree on this Panic mode detected part although I don't use steam but it's maybe making more money by storing it >u>

Level 15
As Ash stated, there's nothing really big to worry about. They weren't hacked, and complete credit card details weren't leaked.

But, take this as a sort of warning. I typically advise against saving/storing active or current credit card information. I mean really, how hard is it to type in your information every time?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
And this, guys, is why I don't have a credit card (well, okay, let's be honest: it is probably more because you don't need one in germany as we have a robust debit transfer system).

Also, if you use Paypal, always use the mobile authorizer. Lots of extra security for a relatively low amount of added inconvenience.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
The concept of credit cards is insecure to begin with. Don't use one if you're afraid to lose money.
Actually don't pay over internet at all.

Calm your ****.
The best way to protect your money is not having any to begin with. ;)

Pro: nothing to worry about.
Con: money can be traded for wares and services.

Status
Not open for further replies.