• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Argos: Rise of Elements [Orpg]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
LogoArgosFinished.png

-Logo made by: Dragonson

Argos Developers

Member:
Role:

ShadowFlare
Project Leader, Coder, Terrainer

Marko9
Lead Terrainer

News

• [7/10/2012] New Screenshots! Demo World Complete.
  • [7/6/2012] THREAD REVAMP!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overview

Argos is a project started to test a gameplay idea, which is unlike most MMO/RPG games. Argos is full of interesting gameplay that will suck the player into a world unlike any they’ve seen before. Argos will push the Warcraft III engine to the max to amaze the player unlike any other Orpg.​

YES THIS IS MULTIPLAYER

The World of Argos

Old Screens
WC3ScrnShot_070112_163249_01.pngWC3ScrnShot_070112_163452_03.pngWC3ScrnShot_070112_163857_08.pngWC3ScrnShot_070312_183917_01.pngWC3ScrnShot_070312_184408_02.pngWC3ScrnShot_070312_184426_03.pngWC3ScrnShot_070312_184530_04.pngWC3ScrnShot_070312_184648_06.png

Concept #1 (Demo Terrain)
WC3ScrnShot_071012_194855_01.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_194902_02.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_194932_03.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195005_04.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195029_05.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195038_06.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195045_07.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195058_08.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195106_09.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195119_10.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195134_11.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195144_12.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195235_13.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195251_14.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195318_15.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195347_16.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195354_17.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195400_18.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195411_19.pngWC3ScrnShot_071012_195428_20.png

Concept #2
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/argos-rise-elements-new-demo-map-terrain-219273/

• Beautifully Crafted World
  • Enjoy landscapes never before seen in Warcraft modding. Legendary terrain that is playable! All terrain was made by marko9, a remarkable terrainer who has spent countless nights developing this terrain. He has created a world you will lose hours of your life traveling in amazement.
  • With regional fog we can actually give environments life to them. Give mornings a cool light, while noon it is bright and alive, while at night it is ominous.
  • Active NPCs: NPCs will actually have something to do, in a town there will be people gathering crops, visiting vendors, or gathering in social areas. Even trade routes with caravans transporting goods between towns.

Features

Character Creation

Customize your character! Choose from hair color, facial hair, size, and soon more to come. Right now this system is a prototype until we get an official character model. Enjoy the video!
Character Creation

war3xlocal.mpq

This trick allows this map to be played online. We took the war3xlocal.mpq from the Warcraft III directory and imported all needed imports into this mpq. This makes the map under 8mb! Thus allowing you to play online with all of the amazing models, custom sounds, and content that Argos has to offer.

Combat System

Elements:
Attributes (and what they affect):Weapons:Armor:

Fire
Water
Earth
Air

• Vitality
    • Strength
      • Weight Limit
    • Health
  • Dexterity
    • Energy Regeneration
    • Movement Speed
    • Attack Speed
  • Focus
    • Cast Speed
    • Boosts Chances

• Sword
    • One or Two Handed
    • Parry Chance
  • Axe
    • One or Two Handed
    • Cleave Chance
  • Dagger
    • Dual Wield
    • Critical Chance
  • Bow
    • Uses Arrows, Damage is combined from the two
    • Chance comes from Arrows
  • Staff
    • One or Two Handed
    • Each staff has a certain attack attached to it
  • Mace/Hammer
    • One or Two Handed
    • Stun Chance

• Head, Shoulder, Hands, Feet, Chest

• Argos uses an energy based system instead of mana. Energy is measured in percent. You regain energy throughout battle (unless certain effects), putting points into dexterity will increase your energy regeneration.
    • For example, you are using a sword for your regular attack, based on your weight limit (based on vitality) and the sword costs 5% energy to swing for your regular attack.
    • Regular movement costs 1%/sec. Say if you used dash would use 5% energy.

Dynamic Battles
  • Since every creature in Argos is not alike, each is assigned its own fighting patterns, based on AI difficulty. You will confront several combinations of these difficulties while you travel, where you will have to use your own set of abilities to overcome.

Battle Camera
  • The camera will change once you enter combat to your target, the target is locked until you change targets, or you leave the combat zone.
Arrow key Movement
  • Once locked in combat you can use your arrow keys to maneuver around the target, either towards or away, or left or right rotationally around the target.
  • Certain tactics can be unlocked using the arrow keys, for example you can double tap up to add a quick dash to your assault, or double tap left/right to strafe to avoid projectiles.
  • For your regular attack you use your up arrow key to swing/shoot, the system will automatically trigger moving forward to your attack once you are in range.
Combo System
  • Using tactics in succession will create combos. Anytime you land three or more successful hits will create a combo. These combos boost the effects of your tactics.
Quests
  • Quests are more like mini adventures in Argos. Certain quests become available while other ones are available to the public. Dynamic Towns (explained below) have quests come up when trade caravans are in danger, these are important or else supplies in the town will be low, meaning shops won’t have much in stock. Protecting trade routes or completing these types of quests help the economy of the town.

Wish To Help?
- In progress

Please note this thread is still under construction.

Last edited:
Level 11
Lol Okay.

Anyway, I already have most of the project done, this is what I need to do before I release the Demo:

Create the quests (Won't take long at all with the system i made.)
Create the Items
Finish the 4 Demo Classes.
Finish the Starting terrain. (75% of the Demo terrain is finished)

This will take me only a few more weeks by myself to get a demo out, but I could still use the help :).

Level 11
The camera is a very flexible cam. You can view from overhead, side to side, any view you want, but it is locked, due to the mystery and the terrain of the land, I do not want free view. But I will be adding other cam options for views players may want.

But in my opinion the game works really well with this cam, and have no trouble with viewing.

Level 14
I really like the depth of the terrain, which is needed for this camera. But i can't stand to see a good project go to waste with such an awful waterfall :p If you don't mind, i could help you out with at least the waterfall. If not a little bit more, giving you time to work on the other things! Just pm me if you decide to take my "charity".

Level 11
Ok, crillepro is helping with terrain.

Also, I have to say this: (Not in an Angry way, just in desperation)

WE NEED A MODELER

i cannot stress how much we need one, i need a new hero model, with a bunch of animations, I need body armor models, and helms.

Just a bunch of stuff

SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PPPPPPLLLLLLEEEASE let me know!

You will receive so much credit as I can possibly give you.

Level 10
fungus are bit big... I think... you could make them smaller & that demon portal doesn't look very good I think... and you shoud use more tile variations and of course... More doodads shrubs, grass and more... :) Good Luck again!

~Spoontoobig.

Level 7
for the dungeons and instances, you could make it so only 1 group can go in at a time, OR divide the dungeon into parts that only 1 group can be in at a time. You could also make it a raid where you need all players(or most) unless you can ally/unally or theres 2 teams.

Level 11
Updates:

Once again, I am starting over on the terrain. This time it is much better and is my final draft (Screenies will be posted in a short while).

I was brainstorming a little while ago and I came up with a new concept plan for the classes of Argos. As it being heavily "element" based I came up with the idea of having each element (earth,fire,water,dark,light,wind,storm) be its own class. But there is a twist, you can choose to be a caster, ranged, or melee of that element. And when you get to level 10 (or 15, undecided) you will choose a secondary element.

Tell me what you think of this idea or if you have any input yourself. I will be updating the main post with new information as it comes.

Level 7
well(if your still working on this) i like that idea of a secondary element but light couldnt have dark water couldnt have fire and vice versa for obvious reasons.

EDIT: i can also help with this, i can due some triggering like teleporting into dungeons or shops but nothing major

Level 3
I'm now officially following this project. :} Get ready for support and a tab on my google chrome command bar :D

Level 11
Hey everyone!

I have a few questions for the community for their opinion.

I would love for this project to be finished, but I have concerns that even when I do finish it, and due to the loss of interest in custom maps for Warcraft 3, should I even finish it?

I was also wondering if people would like to see it for starcraft 2, a whole medieval conversion and with all the editor tools i would have can make this map to the best of its potential.

Thanks guys!

Depends how far you are with things. If you aren't too far I'd say go for Sc2 and use WoW models. If you focus on new models made solely for the project, I doubt you'd get anything done (that's usually the case, anyway). Either that or try to make do with most of the stuff already existing in Sc2 and only get customs for the most nescesary stuff. Been following this project, and it seems interesting - I hope you finish it either way :)

EDIT: If you go for Sc2 and are serious about finishing, I'd be interested in joining you as a terrainer/story guy if needed. I'm experienced in both fields, although neither for Sc2.

Level 3
I pretty much like the idea for this map, despite the fact that elemental base is overused a bit in modding. Here are my comments and recommendations:
- Give players deeper story behind Tae'lin's corruption - just saying that he's corrupted because of his lust for power is a little...unnatural at least. I mean, he was the head of the Order of Elements, he had to be responsible leader, and strong-minded one, too. Also, make reasons behind all evil doings in the world. It is stupid from someone to be evil just to destroy the world, isn't it? Depth.

- Atmosphere. Not just terrain/graphics but the whole feeling that makes player enter the world of Argos. Players must feel what's happening ingame. That's good.

- Also, this is just my opinion, but better make someone other end boss, not Tae'lin.

Status
Not open for further replies.