1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Are You going to Sell your maps?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by kRaZy-bLaZeR, Feb 3, 2010.

?

Are you going to sell maps?

1. $$$$

36 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Some Maps

38 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. No

40 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. LOLWUT? HELL NO

99 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry, my bad...

Sorry, your bad. Its not a place to speak about Dota!

2. Saken

Saken

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Shread-Er, I never bashed Starcraft, so take your own advice.
    I really don't see people programming codes into premium maps or something that only allow people who've bought the map to play it, and others who got it through other means unable to play it. It just seems that this 'grand' idea of theirs will backfire and people will be upset over their map not generating any income when they were so selfish in the first place to whore their map out.

I'm not bashing SC2 or anything, just this feature they want to put in just sounds too ridiculous to even take any foot hold on its players. Personally, I MAY get SC2, but as of now, I'm perfectly comfortable making maps for WC3 until one day within the far future that ever a WC4 comes out, hopefully Blizzard realizes they've stripped, beaten, killed, burned, and raped (Yes in that order.) the Warcraft Lore, and decide to start back where they left off in TFT and expand upon the Warcraft universe. Anyways, all in all, to get back in topic, I see the map selling feature to be a big failure.

Think of all of the little whinebags complaining over/to battle.net because Blizzard rejected their Naruto map/equally as shitty map, or when someone makes a decent enough map and maybe only one hundred people buy it and ten thousand others get it for free from e-mail or a map hosting site.

3. Fulla

Fulla

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think its alot more likely you'd first need your map out for a good few months with lots of fans before you could consider 'selling it' or atleast only allowing 'buyers' to play the new versions.

But anyways personally it depends alot on how much effort I'd put into it and how serious about the project I'd be. If there was the possibility of a semi decent revenue then why not I say? Alot more motvation to say wholey committed to regularly keeping the project updated with new content.

4. ShrEad-ER

ShrEad-ER

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I didn't read through everything that you wrote, so i might have overlooked something. (I'm kinda in a rush atm...)

I seriously hope they'll remake Warcraft lore again. But this is a Starcraft forum. So lets talk about that instead :)

As i already said. Blizzard isn't that stupid to not make their maps protected.
    It's already possible to protect a War3 map, so it only can be opened in War3, and not the editor.

My guess is, that if Blizzard would make a similar thing-y that removed the files for the editor, and added some thing that authenticated (i don't really know what that means) with the Battle.net servers.

This authenticator (okay, i lied a little) should check if the user currently active (the one opening the map), owns the map, and if the user owns this map, accepts it.

Off course such thing would be able to be hacked/cracked. But so is other games, and so what? (Unreal Tournament, Warcraft, Portal, Half-Life, others etc.)

5. crawdaddy029

crawdaddy029

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok so maps can be sold right, now when your playing WC3 or SC and you log on to battle net and you join a game that you never played before you automatically download that game from the host. how will this be effected?

i didnt read this whole post as its 9 pages long and didnt want to read that much spam just for one answer so sorry if its already been said here.

6. ShrEad-ER

ShrEad-ER

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My guess is that if doesn't have the map, you'll just get kicked, or prompted with something.

7. Fulla

Fulla

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yea I assume 2 options would simply come up:
    - Pay to 'Play' the map (A one off payement)
    - Go back to game search

8. Zironic

Zironic

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think selling maps is going to work very well, the reason is pretty simple.

I'll use DotA as an example because it's very popular. Once upon a time DotA wasn't anything special, there were hundreds of various AoS maps of various popularity and DotA just slowly grew bigger until it became THE AoS map and not only that, it's more played then most other maps put together. This is because of a self reinforcing loop where you're the most likely to play the same map that everyone else is playing.

Now imagine that if DotA had a $5 fee, now you'd be faced with the choose of either playing one of the hundreds of other good AoS maps for free or paying $5 to play DotA, while I don't know about everyone else, for me personally that would be an easy choice, I'd play one of the other AoS maps because while DotA may be better, it's not that much better. Assuming that other people think like me, that means that any map that tries to go pay 2 play will quickly die in popularity to other maps that do the same thing for free.

The exception could possibly be a well made campaign, this hasn't been a very big thing in WC3 but maybe just maybe the marketplace might make it more popular.

9. Saken

Saken

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just occured to me that when one/more game(s) does/do become good enough to become premium, it/they will quite possibly populate the game list like DotA does on WC, so all you see are these people being hosted by bots or other hosts or something, where no free games of any decent quality are being host.

Anyways, I've already said my two cents.

10. manstie

manstie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The most I'll pay for a map is 10 cents.

11. Saken

Saken

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow. I noticed pretty much all of you are very stuck up with your money. You guys probably spend 99 cents on a song on iTunes that will provide you with around four minutes of enjoyment, yet you won't even pay half that for a map that can give you 30 minutes to two hours of fun?

12. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    What do you mean? I don't use Ipod... besides I hate paying money for a completely virtual entertaiment...

13. GurkenKinG

GurkenKinG

Resources:
    Resources:
    But will they make the maps premium automatically or will you have a choice? (I hope you have a choice...)

14. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Pay to Play is a very interesting idea. Perhaps 1 play for a certain high quality map would be like 1-3 cents, and to buy the map and be able to play it without paying for it again (including future versions) would be like 20-60 cents.

I agree, people here APPEAR to be extremely cheap.

15. slake

slake

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lol, you're all sooo much cheap, aren't you looking atleast once at your reply and think about the stuff you've wrote there before actualy submiting...guys, you aren't paying for Blizard premium gums, but for maps, have you thought atleast a minute about the REAL cost of those premium maps, there are probably going to be atleast two or three dollars, actualy I don't know either but WTF with the 1-3 cents and max 10 cents, man you're all so crazy, this is Blizzard we are talking about, there not just gona give away awesome maps for free, why do they bother making premium maps when they are going to sell them for 5 cents or when everyone are so cheap and make a profit of 5$ max.

Ask yourselfs those questions and reply with a reasonable post so we can actualy learn something or atleast know why.

16. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I dont care about Blizzard making maps. More then 99% of what you see in Custom Games for Warcraft 3 is user-created. So Blizzard doesn't need to be making any maps.... So im not quite sure what your trying to say in your post. Perhaps you should be the one checking what YOU write? This thread is all about map makers selling their own maps, not Blizzard selling Blizzard maps. Though I'll point out, if their are premium maps, I bet some of the money will go to Blizzard. I only say that because thats how the Apple App store works. But I may be wrong.

17. Fulla

Fulla

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    3 cents is peanuts yes, but get a couple thousand people paying to play your map and it becomes a different story.

18. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    People, don't forget that only superb maps will become payable. Thos maps should be as great as, for example, Gmod, to become payable.

19. Dark.Revenant

Dark.Revenant

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A premium map would have to feasibly generate over a thousand dollars to be viable. That means 99 cents or higher. iPod apps, for example, are $1 and up.

20. Herian

Herian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dark.Revenant and slake are right. Premium maps won't be 1-10 cents, I'm sure.. Not even 20 cents. Since there are very few quality maps that Blizzard will make Premium, why would they sell them for 10 cents?