• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Archivist - Regarding his role in the map

What do you Think should be the Archivist's role in the map?

• CloudWolf's suggestion:

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Redmarine's suggestion:

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Sixen's suggestion:

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Don't include him!

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
This is not to be taken seriously. This is only a poll to check out what the community wants regarding the Archivist class. Even if we do find a winner we can not garantine that we will actually end up implementing that option at all.

Notice that even if we decided to add him he would not be implemented until we have left beta or until our project manager gives the Go.

Some suggestions I've stumbled upon and added as options.

CloudWolf's suggestion:
We were thinking of adding him as a secret boss, which might appear at random in 1, or possibly all of the maps :) It would definately add to the replay value of the game ;) The probability of him appearing would be low so players would be lucky to fight him, and obviously gain some sort of reward should they win.

Redmarine's suggestion:
I was thinking more between those lines of making fun of him. Making a room which is totally isolated and inacessable from the game and make him do random silly stuff each game when a player passes by. Once he has performed his act he'll get killed by a zombie.

Sixen's suggestion:
Edit: Add the Archivist as a playable class.

Notice that I'm unable to add additional poll options.
LTGH - NEW! Added on: 29.05.09
You reach him in a new area (a library). Where he is on laying on the floor.
As you kill all monsters in the room, he will stand up and start to talk about decard cain.
And after that, he will tell you the location of decard cain and gives you a key that lead down to the cells that is the only way to get to the other side of the castle becouse the paths is covered by stones. And after you go up from the cellar, you reach the area where Decard Cain is and the map continues on.

I'll gladly add more options if you got some suggestions for them.

Vote noaw!

EDIT:
Also please take a look at the Archivist's discussion thread. You're most welcome to read and give your opinion on the matter.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/suggestions-604/archivist-class-127931/

Last edited:
Level 2
Random boss would be amazing. If there was a secret shortcut to find him IF he appears on the map. There could be games hosted entirely on hunting him down. If -save is in, I could see this happening a lot.

If this one is in, what would be the % of him showing on the map? 5%?

Level 13
Actually that idea sounds better and better. But IF you use it. Then do what LTGH talked about some time ago. That thing with going around and getting medallions from each map, and then in the end use them to enter a special map. In that map he could be the secret boss.

This almost sounds like a whole other game than WC3 XD

Level 13
Thats no good idea. The idea is to make a diablo game. And putting that fella in as a playable character wouldnt be diabloish. I think they should only put in the heroes, which blizzard reveal as real heroes.

Level 4
*cough* My PC suggestion isn't viable? *cough*

EDIT:
I honestly can't help but think that actually making him playable would be a good idea...

Really, it's like the pandaren hero. At first I was like: wtf? But it's a really enjoyable hero.

My option, and I'll vote for it: make him playable.

Yeah, that was supposed to be my suggestion, redmarine took the wrong one, :(. Unless he did it on purpose and isn't even considering that?

Level 4
Well to be honest, wasn't the archivist class based off of Deckard Cain? If implemented as another hero it might get a bit weird when you actually meet up with him ingame, I mean an archivist saving another archivist?

Level 14
I voted for Red's suggestion. Fits the game best. Would be a fun event to find the archevist in the map, u need to get across thousands of zombies, you go like "how am i going to do this" and u just send in the archivist in there, he does a spell of some sort, all zombies die but than something kills him, could be a cinematic. . .just for fun d^_^.

Level 16
My idea would be this:

At some point in the "dungeons", throw away a amount of ghouls that would be impossible to handle even for the best players with a full team.

Then, let the archivist come from behind, throw away a book-tornado, kill all the ghouls, say a catchy headline, and move towards the exit, but then when he's on his way, make a rock or something fall on his head, and he dies :D

(of course, these ghouls that the archivist kills shouldn't grant any XP for the heroes)

Level 1
waste of time working on him imo
i voted do not include
but if it has to be i choose redmarine's

Level 14
My idea would be this:

At some point in the "dungeons", throw away a amount of ghouls that would be impossible to handle even for the best players with a full team.

Then, let the archivist come from behind, throw away a book-tornado, kill all the ghouls, say a catchy headline, and move towards the exit, but then when he's on his way, make a rock or something fall on his head, and he dies :D

(of course, these ghouls that the archivist kills shouldn't grant any XP for the heroes)

You know you said kinda the same thing like me : O

Level 17
I want to add a suggestion!
Add him as a "chance to appear" add-on quest.

My Idea:
You reach him in a new area (a library). Where he is on laying on the floor.
As you kill all monsters in the room, he will stand up and start to talk about decard cain.
And after that, he will tell you the location of decard cain and gives you a key that lead down to the cells that is the only way to get to the other side of the castle becouse the paths is covered by stones. And after you go up from the cellar, you reach the area where Decard Cain is and the map continues on.

It should be like an add-on to the map that rarely happens (maximum 33% chance).

This is what i can say about the other ideas

CW's idea:
He should be a nice guy, not a evil one (actually it was my idea to make him a boss, thats why CW said "we").

RM's idea:
Maybe have a 50% chance that RM's idea happens if my one doesnt?

Sixen's idea:
A big NO from me. This is a remake of the game play video, we wont go as far as adding a custom character. We once had Warrior, but soon enough CW found out that it wasnt a good idea.

Thanks.

(It seems like the other ones isnt so seriuse, i dont want it to be like "Lol, look! The archievist! Two sec later, look a ghoul! OMG, HE ATE THE ARCHIEVIST!")

This is not to be taken seriously
I take it seriuse. Even though its not suppost to be so, we should try to keep it seriuse.

Level 14
I think that the Archivist should be like a secret hero, he should be as powerfull as everyone else. Maybe at the character selection screen he could stand in the far background so you think he's just a part off the background.

Level 17
I think that the Archivist should be like a secret hero, he should be as powerfull as everyone else. Maybe at the character selection screen he could stand in the far background so you think he's just a part off the background.

Then its not a secret anymore.
And we would have to make items for him.
We would have to make spells for him.
We need to balance one more hero.
Adding a custom hero would destroy a big part of this map.

Level 16
So what? I personally don't care if it started as a joke.

Yeah, I bet you don't. But I do :]

LTGH said:
Yeah, joke or not. We have other custom stuff to and he does fit in as a "friend" of decard cain, right? We dont have to use him as an archievist, but we can still make the quest i said as one of the random events? =)

I have no troubles with using Cain in the map, since he's a VERY big part of the Diablo lore.

If you read a lot on the website, there's ALOT sourcing from mr."Abd al-Hazir "
I guess, we could use him in the map, and resembling him to the archivist class.

How does that sound? :)

Because that should make everyone happy, it's still the archivist, and he can have his skills, (actually they fit quite well to the image I get from reading stuff about/from Abd al-Hazir)
But he'll still be connected to the D3 lore, which would make me happy :]

Level 17
Baahh.. What if he appears in diablo III and we already use him for something else? that would be a problem.
And its pretty funny, if you read the words "al hazir" backward it will be "la rizah" which means that there could be someone named Rizah that made up all that. Blizzard have many jokes name in WoW so i wouldent be surprised if al-hazir is one of them.

Level 19
Yeah, joke or not. We have other custom stuff to and he does fit in as a "friend" of decard cain, right? We dont have to use him as an archievist, but we can still make the quest i said as one of the random events? =)

If anything I think we should go with my suggestion. I fear that if we do include him as an NPC we will actually screw up the gameplay. By making him neutral and not affecting the gameplay would be best but still actually make him do hillarious stuff which Blizzard intented him to do.

Level 16
If he appears in Diablo III, this wouldn't change anything IMO.

Since this would basically just be a short meeting with him, perhaps an introduction to the archivist class (by spells and stuff) and then not much more?

I'd rather give him a name that's connected to the lore than a random one.

But that's just me..

If anything I think we should go with my suggestion. I fear that if we do include him as an NPC we will actually screw up the gameplay. By making him neutral and not affecting the gameplay would be best but still actually make him do hillarious stuff which Blizzard intented him to do.

Of course you think that, otherwise you wouldn't have made the suggestion, yeah? :D

Level 17

I said that he doesnt have to be the archievist.
But i like my quest idea so much so i want it to be added xD
But it does NOT have to be an archievist, just a friend of decard or something, that can do pretty much what decard can do. :p

And RM, ofc you want it to be like that, cus that was your suggestion, and its very often that people like their own the most, cus otherwise they wouldent make that suggestion.

Level 19
If he appears in Diablo III, this wouldn't change anything IMO.

Since this would basically just be a short meeting with him, perhaps an introduction to the archivist class (by spells and stuff) and then not much more?

I'd rather give him a name that's connected to the lore than a random one.

But that's just me..

Of course you think that, otherwise you wouldn't have made the suggestion, yeah? :D

He's an aprils fools.

Personally I don't want him as a class because it would somewhat ruin the gameplay as well as sterring the game away from its original purpos.

Level 16
I didn't mean adding him as a class, but giving him some time wouldn't hurt.
Just letting cast some of his spells (lorenado and etc lol) but in a humorous manner.

To keep it at the joke it was since I still think it's best to keep it this way. But since many people seem to want him in the map, and his spells are actually quite cool.. I don't see why he would just be in the map to die, rather make him have some action that doesn't affect gameplay, then die.

Level 19
I didn't mean adding him as a class, but giving him some time wouldn't hurt.
Just letting cast some of his spells (lorenado and etc lol) but in a humorous manner.

To keep it at the joke it was since I still think it's best to keep it this way. But since many people seem to want him in the map, and his spells are actually quite cool.. I don't see why he would just be in the map to die, rather make him have some action that doesn't affect gameplay, then die.

That's basically what I wanted. We'll probably just leave this thread to dust and return again when we do reconsider adding him and his role.

Level 4
You've said many times that the map/series isn't going to be a carbon copy of D3, it's just the basic concept of D3. It's not exactly the same, so the question is really why not? If you're worried about Lore, he fits in just fine, there's a whole page about it. If you're worried about multi-play, it'll be fine, he's a great support/caster class. If you're worried about solo-play, he'll still be able to hold his own, just as a Wizard would.

Level 17
But dont you think that it is a little to much to add a custom class?
It would require custom spells, custom items and much stuff like that.
And we would have 3 mages and one tank.

We will not go that far from diablo 3.
When we said that it isnt going to be a copy of D3, we mean that we will make custom areas and maybe a few custom creeps. Not an entire class.
We have already talked about this, we should stop talking about adding him as a playable character now.

Level 19
But dont you think that it is a little to much to add a custom class?
It would require custom spells, custom items and much stuff like that.
And we would have 3 mages and one tank.

We will not go that far from diablo 3.
When we said that it isnt going to be a copy of D3, we mean that we will make custom areas and maybe a few custom creeps. Not an entire class.
We have already talked about this, we should stop talking about adding him as a playable character now.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.