• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Archivist - Regarding his role in the map

What do you Think should be the Archivist's role in the map?

• CloudWolf's suggestion:

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Redmarine's suggestion:

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Sixen's suggestion:

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Don't include him!

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
But dont you think that it is a little to much to add a custom class?
It would require custom spells, custom items and much stuff like that.
And we would have 3 mages and one tank.
custom items? Does this mean you're not planning on adding custom items to D3W? I hope you are, and if you are, that's no damn reason for not adding archy. And it requires 5 custom spells. Big deal.
That there would be 3 mages and one tank doesn't matter does it? If everyone chooses to play mage, your party still only have mages. Until a 4th official class is released, I think it's a silly reason not to include him because you'd have 3 mageclasses then.

Fine, if you're not going to add him, just say you won't add him. But please, if these are the best reasons you can think of, just don't give any reasons at all.

We will not go that far from diablo 3.
But D3 DID have the archivist. As a joke, but it still DID have him. Playable.
When we said that it isnt going to be a copy of D3, we mean that we will make custom areas and maybe a few custom creeps. Not an entire class.
We have already talked about this, we should stop talking about adding him as a playable character now.
You haven't done either of those, but if you plan to do custom areas and creeps, then what's the problem with custom PC's?

Level 17
custom items? Does this mean you're not planning on adding custom items to D3W? I hope you are, and if you are, that's no damn reason for not adding archy. And it requires 5 custom spells. Big deal.
That there would be 3 mages and one tank doesn't matter does it? If everyone chooses to play mage, your party still only have mages. Until a 4th official class is released, I think it's a silly reason not to include him because you'd have 3 mageclasses then.

Fine, if you're not going to add him, just say you won't add him. But please, if these are the best reasons you can think of, just don't give any reasons at all.

But D3 DID have the archivist. As a joke, but it still DID have him. Playable.
You haven't done either of those, but if you plan to do custom areas and creeps, then what's the problem with custom PC's?

We will NOT add him as a playable character... That would destroy the point of the map.
Its like adding the guitar hero class in Wc3:WoW, cus that was a april fool to.

And do you know what "Required Class" means? We will have to make that for him to if we add him. And adding custom spells sucks.

Level 14
We will NOT add him as a playable character... That would destroy the point of the map.
Its like adding the guitar hero class in Wc3:WoW, cus that was a april fool to.

Come to think about it... a Barb class in Wc3:WoW would be cool. Also, if an Archivist class was added it would maybe attract more people.

Level 16
Well, i think that the desicion is simple:
If you add it, would be horrible that if he has the same Medich model. Thats class of things are AntiDiablo.
And if your do a Skin or a model for it (like the one i say) would be more filesize to the maps, that is reachin the limit.

Level 17
No...
It is like this:
We wont add him since thats to far away from D3 and the title of the map talks for itself, this is a DIABLO 3 map.

And if anyone keeps talking about adding him as a character, i will delete the post.
So shut it, PLEASE. We dont wanna get spammed when we have said that we wont add him even since 1st april.

Level 19
No...
It is like this:
We wont add him since thats to far away from D3 and the title of the map talks for itself, this is a DIABLO 3 map.

And if anyone keeps talking about adding him as a character, i will delete the post.
So shut it, PLEASE. We dont wanna get spammed when we have said that we wont add him even since 1st april.

Don't delete them but just ignore them.

Level 17
Okey then, but i want to try to keep the forum more clean from now on.
We get alot of useless/spam posts now.
And people wont listen to us, when we say that he wont be a playable character, why does people keep saying "WHY NOT, ZOMG?! THAT WOULD MAKE MOAR PLEYARS PLEY IT!" and stuff like that.

Level 19
And people wont listen to us, when we say that he wont be a playable character, why does people keep saying "WHY NOT, ZOMG?! THAT WOULD MAKE MOAR PLEYARS PLEY IT!" and stuff like that.

Their posts are constructive and give some valid reasons to include the archivist as a playable class but we simply disagree and disgard their ideas now as we're boundaried to not go too far from the actual gameplay.

Level 21
And do you know what "Required Class" means? We will have to make that for him to if we add him. And adding custom spells sucks.
So fucking what? If they announce the 4th class, you're also not going to add him cause you need to put work in it? If you're going to work on D3W, you're going to have to work for it anyway. Seriously, that you have to spend time implementing a new class is not a fucking reason for not doing it.

So please, if your final decision is not to add him then fine. But STOP giving retarded reasons like that.

No offence, but you sound retarded. Oh, and by the way: they're not useless. If you think they're useless then you're not reading them. What you define as a "clean" forum is a forum without suggestions, just a forum where everyone says 'wow cool map lololol ima play every day'. Well, get out. If you're not open for suggestions then get a private forum.

The poll has the option of adding him. If you've already decided this months ago then don't add it as a poll option. If you do want it as a poll option, stfu when people vote on it, please? I don't care what your final decision is, but if this is your attitude towards suggestions or OPEN POLLS then lock the forums because they'll be useless. Or leave the team if you can't take it like a man.

I seriously need to get that "I'm right, you're wrong" user title back...

Level 17
Play stop the flaming already.

Eleandor and LTGH please stop this nonsense and keep it as clean as possible.

Okey, i will not even read hes post this time...

I just want to say one more thing though.
We said WE WONT ADD HIM!!! and you guys have to live with it, it is our project, and not yours Eleandor, all you do is to make yourself sound stupid, seriusly. We have better things to do then adding an aprils fool class in the game. That would require ALOT more work.
So stop it now.

Edit: Sorry... i couldent resist it, but he said that i sounds retarded... soo....
No offence, but you sound retarded. Oh, and by the way: they're not useless. If you think they're useless then you're not reading them. What you define as a "clean" forum is a forum without suggestions, just a forum where everyone says 'wow cool map lololol ima play every day'. Well, get out. If you're not open for suggestions then get a private forum.
When i said that i want a clean forum, i said that i wanted a forum where people could READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT WE SAY, and not spam the fuck out of it like you do... You keep posting when we have said the same even since 1st april. Stop it or i tell a mod to do something about it, seriusly. You dont have to say that i sound retarded and that im stupid... We have to make desicions and maybe not everyone like it, but you have to live with it just like everyone else.

Also, read this:
This is not to be taken seriously. This is only a poll to check out what the community wants regarding the Archivist class. Even if we do find a winner we can not garantine that we will actually end up implementing that option at all.
This thread is to see what people wanted, and nothing more. We said that it isnt sure that it will happen. And it wont happen, we just wanted to see if people even wanted him to be playable. So, the thread wasnt useless, but you seem to have missunderstod the entire purpose of the thread by not reading the huge text in the main post..

I have said all i have to say now.
Shut it now.

Level 30
guys.... be professional... :/

We're a team creating a game after all. Blizzard have to deal with negative feedback all the time, yet we never see them respond by swearing and generally just being rude :S Same goes for our fans, please bare with us, we're trying our best to get the map done and can only concentrate on a limited number of features at any one time :) Please can we keep this forum clean? and can both sides do the responsible thing and be polite? :)

The fact is, we havent come to a decision regarding the Archivist yet :p To be honest, ive hardly thought about it at all as ive been trying to get v1.18 finished before everyone gets too bored lol :) I'm sure we wil include him in some way or another, but probably not for a while as we've got more important features to finish :p

Don't get me wrong though, all ideas are welcome, and ide love to hear more suggestions regarding the archivist just in case ;)

Level 14

We're a team creating a game after all. Blizzard have to deal with negative feedback all the time, yet we never see them respond by swearing and generally just being rude :S Same goes for our fans, please bare with us, we're trying our best to get the map done and can only concentrate on a limited number of features at any one time :) Please can we keep this forum clean? and can both sides do the responsible thing and be polite? :)

The fact is, we havent come to a decision regarding the Archivist yet :p To be honest, ive hardly thought about it at all as ive been trying to get v1.18 finished before everyone gets too bored lol :) I'm sure we wil include him in some way or another, but probably not for a while as we've got more important features to finish :p

Don't get me wrong though, all ideas are welcome, and ide love to hear more suggestions regarding the archivist just in case ;)

The wise man has spoken *hands down*. Now I think I speak for us all, get to work ^^

Level 4

That is more like what I expected. It's not even that it's negative feedback! It's just feedback from a different point of view... Anyway, it's whatever.

Once again, this is expected. It's not that big of a deal, though it would be immensely fun, but it doesn't need to be way up on the list. The point of the thread was to see what the more popular option was anyway.

Level 16
The point of the thread was to see what the more popular option was anyway.

10rseu8.jpg

Level 17
Yes, it was not suppost to be a hall of flame slash blame. :p
People couldent keep calm when we said that we wont add him, and we never said that he was going to be added to started, we just asked what people want, but it seems like people misunderstod that and started a flame war.

Level 4
dansaDisco: Glad you're following Cloud's "be professional" advice, that really shows a lot. Once again, you speak for the D3W Team as a whole. I'll leave it at that, hopefully the point is just as obvious to you.

Yes, it was not suppost to be a hall of flame slash blame. :p
People couldent keep calm when we said that we wont add him, and we never said that he was going to be added to started, we just asked what people want, but it seems like people misunderstod that and started a flame war.

I think you're coming off too strong, LTGH. The Archivist isn't "not going to be added", according to Cloud, it's still being discussed, therefore this thread is of some use.

Level 17
I think you're coming off too strong, LTGH. The Archivist isn't "not going to be added", according to Cloud, it's still being discussed, therefore this thread is of some use.

Acording to the fact that our first decision was to not add him, i didnt do anything wrong. But CW changed he's mind, and he didnt confirm that it will be added eighter. But adding him just feels wrong to me since that would ruin a part of the map, but what can i do about it, im just sharing my opinions, and inform people about the currently state of this. And for now, hes not going to be added.

=)

Level 19
Acording to the fact that our first decision was to not add him, i didnt do anything wrong. But CW changed he's mind, and he didnt confirm that it will be added eighter. But adding him just feels wrong to me since that would ruin a part of the map, but what can i do about it, im just sharing my opinions, and inform people about the currently state of this. And for now, hes not going to be added.

=)

Next time make sure that it's visible that you're implying your own opinion and not ours as a whole. It's not that big of a problem anyway.

Level 17
I think you shouldn't add him. He'd be a liability and a waste of time. Besides, you'd need to think of another couple of spells for him. And how many melee heroes do we have so far? One. Adding another spellcaster would be horrible.

Why not make Deckard Cain the Archivist? o_O He is a historian already.

Level 4
Next time make sure that it's visible that you're implying your own opinion and not ours as a whole. It's not that big of a problem anyway.

Agreed, it's just your opinion, LTGH, not the opinion of the whole D3W team, :p.

Level 17
Agreed, it's just your opinion, LTGH, not the opinion of the whole D3W team, :p.

You really are trying to annoy, me, atleast it feels like that.
This specefic line was my opinion:
But adding him just feels wrong to me since that would ruin a part of the map,
And when i said that i talked for the team i said that becouse i told everyone what we had decided, not what I had decided...
But for gods sake, stop talking useless stuff here now.

We have said a couple of times that we want to try the forum clean to make it easier for us the find USEFULL posts insted of the one you just posted.

Level 17
FYI, I'd rather play as an Archivist than as a Witch-Doctor, but Adding a new class is seriously a non-priority right now. We have more important things to work on than things that would be nice but unessential. Hell, If blizz announces the next class TONIGHT I'd still be against trying to include it in the next release.

We simply have other issues that need work that are more important at the moment, such as game-wide system mechanic things, and bosses, etc...

I also think it would be cool to include incarnations of the other 10 classes as playable options as well, but again, not a priority, and in this case not even specifically D3, just Diablo in general. (FYI I mean Amazon, Assassin, Bard, Druid, Monk, Necromancer, Paladin, Rogue, Sorceress/Sorcerer, Warrior) .

Level 17
After 1.18 comes out if all of the system changes we've discussed get put in, I wouldn't mind hammering out some new classes. (Diablo but not Diablo 3) If I could convince everyone else to go along with it. (I'd probably need to drag in someone to help work on heroes' abilities)

That would up the class count to 14. Which I thik would be awesome
Anything that can be done with no custom skins or models is better since we're close to the 4 MB maximum (that is WAY too small).

I know people will miss their Necromancer, and Amazon, and Druid. I miss my D1 classes and the Elementalist Sorceress/Sorcerer.

Even if it is a possibility, We need to have the game generally working the way we want it before new classes can be an option.

Level 16
Well, a very true fact is that we are seriously going to need a healer.

Since most heal spells will be removed to match the original D3 heroes spells, there will kind of be none at all after that. But this is something we need to discuss in the team :p

But, as we've said many times, we don't wanna go away to far from the Diablo 3 as we know it atm, and adding a custom class would kind of ruin that goal :S

Level 19
After 1.18 comes out if all of the system changes we've discussed get put in, I wouldn't mind hammering out some new classes. (Diablo but not Diablo 3) If I could convince everyone else to go along with it. (I'd probably need to drag in someone to help work on heroes' abilities)

That would up the class count to 14. Which I thik would be awesome
Anything that can be done with no custom skins or models is better since we're close to the 4 MB maximum (that is WAY too small).

I know people will miss their Necromancer, and Amazon, and Druid. I miss my D1 classes and the Elementalist Sorceress/Sorcerer.

Even if it is a possibility, We need to have the game generally working the way we want it before new classes can be an option.

Our intention is to recreate Diablo 3 without making any radical changes like adding new classes or features that will alienate our map from our original goal.

Last edited:
Level 17
Our intention is to recreate Diablo 3 without making any radical changes like adding new classes or features that will alienate our map from our original goal.

Yeah.
This map has a goal, and we want to reach that goal insted of ignore it and run for another goal.

And people cant tell me that im wrong in any points here.
More classes, more work.
And when i say that it takes more work with more classes, i dont mean spells. I mean items, balance, coding and other such things that might appear in the future (like save/load for example, if that gets added, we will have to make much bigger code).
If people want to see custom classes and such things, this is the wrong place :/ I mean, i dont want to ruin the purpose of this map.
Also, what would happen if a new class appears later on that is pretty much like the archievist? what would happen then? two identical classes, hell no.

The discusion should end here.

Level 19
For those who would like to add additional classes are welcome to do so by modifying the existing 1.17 version as it has become very doubtful that we'll add additional classes beside official ones.

Note that it's quite possible that version 1.17 will be our last full open-source release but for now everyone can edit version 1.17. The staff haven't discussed this fully yet and nothing has been set in stone as for now.

Level 17
Note that it's quite possible that version 1.17 will be our last full open-source release but for now everyone can edit version 1.17. The staff haven't discussed this fully yet and nothing has been set in stone as for now.

It will be set in stone when we need to optimize the map, and i think we will have to do that in 1.18 becouse we are making much new skins/models until next release, and that will require a lot of space. (i know we are lowering the quality on skins but i dont think that will be enough)

Level 4
Adding Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 classes is a little extreme in my opinion. The reason why adding the Archivist as a playable class is viable is because the Archivist exists in Diablo 3 already, according to Blizzard. The D1/D2 classes as NPC's in D3 would be a better idea, since they're already gone and done with, and/or have places as NPC's already (except for the Barbarian who is a PC in all 3 games).

Personally, I believe only the Archivist should be added.

All kneel for Darkholme, the guy of awesomeness!

Thats what i have been saying all the time, but people seem to missunderstand me, maybe i just used the wrong words, i dont know.

Anyway, Darkholme is right to 100%.

Uhm, if this is the case then you believe the Archivist should be added as well? Once again, Eleandor is correct. You weren't arguing what Darkholme said, you were saying the Archivist will never be added. But, glad that you want the Archivist in the map as a Playable Character as well, that just adds one more to the numbers.

Level 19
Adding Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 classes is a little extreme in my opinion. The reason why adding the Archivist as a playable class is viable is because the Archivist exists in Diablo 3 already, according to Blizzard. The D1/D2 classes as NPC's in D3 would be a better idea, since they're already gone and done with, and/or have places as NPC's already (except for the Barbarian who is a PC in all 3 games).

Personally, I believe only the Archivist should be added.

Uhm, if this is the case then you believe the Archivist should be added as well? Once again, Eleandor is correct. You weren't arguing what Darkholme said, you were saying the Archivist will never be added. But, glad that you want the Archivist in the map as a Playable Character as well, that just adds one more to the numbers.

LTGH was referring(kneeling) to Darkholme's reasons to exclude the Archivist as a class or any character that can interact with the players.

We'll share my info on this later in development. It's not decided yet if we'll use him or not.

Sixen;1157611]Adding Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 classes is a little extreme in my opinion. The reason why adding the Archivist as a playable class is viable is because the Archivist exists in Diablo 3 already, according to Blizzard. The D1/D2 classes as NPC's in D3 would be a better idea, since they're already gone and done with, and/or have places as NPC's already (except for the Barbarian who is a PC in all 3 games).

Incorrect... In the last two games ;P
In Diablo I theres a Archer, a mage and a warrior. No Babarian.

Level 4
Incorrect... In the last two games ;P
In Diablo I theres a Archer, a mage and a warrior. No Babarian.

The official Diablo 1 Expansion, HellFire, created by Sierra Entertainment, contained 3 new classes: a Monk, a Bard, and a Barbarian. This would mean that the Barbarian has existed for all 3 games.

And to be specific, the D1 classes are Rogue, Sorcerer, and Warrior.

0zk

0zk

Level 1
may i suggest something... i was thinking maybe like a npc... a combination of the room idea... but you can interact with him... maybe he can says some of his catchy frases..."that thing was bigger than a cadillac!" (or something like that i don't remember it xP) and then when you get bored, you release a ghoul and it kills him with big bad pool of BLOOOD...yeah... that's nice...blood.... xD

EDIT: i kept reading your suggestions and i realized i haven't brougth anything useful so i feel the need to expand my idea...

perhaps to reach him, you have to make certain things... you know... a side quest (get that book, follow rip pages on the ground...) and then you do his side quest he could give you an item to cast one of his abilities...book tornado??? mass sleep?? xD the catch would be that he isn't easy to find, and his side quest... wouldn't realy be easy too.
for me this would make it, not also a funny easter egg, but maybe be a important part of the map as well.
feel free to dismiss me, i would love to hear sugestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.