• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[April Fools] Hive Workshop Map Deprotection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
A void I've got to say you're dead wrong. There are definitely people who would've paid for this ~~

Ya haven't had time to read this whole thing but this seems terrible and awful.
I want to profit from wc3 coding too!

Anyway, on a serious note, I learned programming all these years from a foundation that started from reading the code of our Lord Vexorian when I was an elementary school kid, and Lord Vexorian always labelled himself as a Free Software Terrorist. So, to do what's right, after reading the first couple of posts in this thread, I decided to take after the Free Software Terrorist inspiration and write a map deprotector, which is a profoundly easy thing to do given the open source Wc3 modding libraries that exists.

Attached is the FREE map deprotector that should hopefully crush whatever hype got this to be 3 pages. This is not innovation.
If you pay me for it, I'll just look at you awkwardly. So, now is it going to be taken down?

Maybe I'll donate money to the hive after this, but profiteering off of people by destroying the community instead of taking their loving donations is wrong.

goliath-png.295235

Attachments

• Goliath.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 107
  • Goliath.png
    Goliath.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 761
Level 6
April's Fools day already passed away. To prevent confusions this topic should be locked or deleted. Some people including me don't much pay attention. I admit for second I though this was real. Thank god its not :)

On serious note, If u want a map deprotected, just pm me. Usually it can be done with MPQ Editor but XDEP is as effective as anything else- Russians are best at hacking. You should learn from them Retera.
Some maps you are unable to use either with, usually the non-English ones due to corruption on a deep level aka the hex. Though the funniest part here is Blizzard owns wc3 anyways.

Level 10
I really love this idea and morally I think this is the right way to go.
Why? Every map, no matter how successfull or well made they are, should be an example that we can learn from.
Furthermore, the maps have never been the own of the makers themselves, as they use wc3 engine, which they have not created.

Level 10
Turn off your keyboard.
No need to be rude, just because you do not agree.

but not necessarily the IP contained within people's projects that are hosted on the platform, as evidenced by Dota.
anything youve done on notepad, a program YOU DIDNT MAKE. on top of your windows OS, another program YOU DIDN'T MAKE, is owned by microsoft. gg no re
Please, this is a different case here. The World Editor is no Microsoft Windows, nor is it a text editor. So also here, no need to be rude to me, just because your opinion differs from mine.

No need to be rude, just because you do not agree.

Please, this is a different case here. The World Editor is no Microsoft Windows, nor is it a text editor. So also here, no need to be rude to me, just because your opinion differs from mine.

People can be quite toxic when it doesn't suit their needs or opinions. Just ignore them. You offer a good point, legally anything we create using World Editor is copyrighted under Blizzard. We agreed to this when opening the editor for the first time, people here don't understand that.

I think you SCII EULA is the one you might be referring to? I remember WcIII's being vaguer, softer.
Besides, we're talking about intellectual property.

There's no intellectual property unless you trademarked, copyrighted or patented your property. For example there's still an ongoing lawsuit regarding DOTA, Blizzard and Valve are fighting over it. The full name of DOTA was acquired by Blizzard, but Valve trademarked the short term - DOTA.

Level 13
Blizzard suing over a game they didn't create is hazmat-levels of cringe. On another note, a federal judge claims this:
Breyer explains how Dota started life in 2002 as a Warcraft III mod made by Eul (real name: Kyle Sommer), who created the mod on his own and thus holds the rights to the "setting, heroes, rules, and name."

legally anything we create using World Editor is copyrighted under Blizzard.
false, unless theres been some revision :p

Blizzard suing over a game they didn't create is hazmat-levels of cringe. On another note, a federal judge claims this:
Breyer explains how Dota started life in 2002 as a Warcraft III mod made by Eul (real name: Kyle Sommer), who created the mod on his own and thus holds the rights to the "setting, heroes, rules, and name."

false, unless theres been some revision :p

You can read it yourself, I've highlighted the text.

"... derivative works of such software program and materials are the copyrighted work of Blizzard Entertainment."

Anything you create with World Editor program is copyrighted by Blizzard, you must agree to these terms in order to use the editor.

clipboard02-png.295354

Attachments

• Clipboard02.png
    Clipboard02.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: pyf
Level 13
Then I guess the next question would be what's the difference between a map compiled with the world editor and one compiled without? Whether line 6 of the .j file says:
Code:
Generated by the Warcraft III World Editor
or not?
If you need any more explanation, you would have to check the differences between WE's agreement and Galaxy editor's agreement, therein lies why.

Then I guess the next question would be what's the difference between a map compiled with the world editor and one compiled without? Whether line 6 of the .j file says:
Code:
Generated by the Warcraft III World Editor
or not?
If you need any more explanation, you would have to check the differences between WE's agreement and Galaxy editor's agreement, therein lies why.

It's perfectly self explanatory, any work you do with the editor is copyrighted by Blizzard. Contact Kam or Blizzard Support if you don't believe me. That's why DOTA 2 was entirely outside Blizzard's reach, because it wasn't using World Editor and the short term was copyrighted by Valve, any creative work or intellectual property wasn't specific to Warcraft 3.

derivatives, you mean like:
SharpCraft & WEX
HiveWE - World Editor 0.2
?
Because that's what it sounds like.

Read it carefully. Derivative works of such software program (World Editor). It's like this is your first time reading an EULA.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
It's perfectly self explanatory, any work you do with the editor is copyrighted by Blizzard. Contact Kam or Blizzard Support if you don't believe me. That's why DOTA 2 was entirely outside Blizzard's reach, because it wasn't using World Editor and the short term was copyrighted by Valve, any creative work or intellectual property wasn't specific to Warcraft 3.
So, we agree then that intellectual property does not belong to them, or am I missing something?

So, we agree then that intellectual property does not belong to them, or am I missing something?

That's a good question, I'm not entirely sure. I don't think that intellectual property - ideas and design should belong to Blizzard as long as it's patented, copyrighted. But knowing how Blizzard sued Valve over that and the still on-going lawsuit proves that Blizzard is ruthless and takes it's user agreements very seriously.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
But knowing how Blizzard sued Valve over that and the still on-going lawsuit proves that Blizzard is ruthless and takes it's user agreements very seriously.
That or they want to make sure they won't be potentially sued or something, I don't know? Else, they'd just be cash cow thieves and that would mean a permanent good bye from me and a lot of people at one point. It'd be really disappointing to keep Warcraft III alive only to find out you can't leave it to expand your ideas.
What about Dwarven monster slayers?
Shush now! Do you want to ruin something too?

Level 5
Blizzard Entertainment:StarCraft II Custom Game Acceptable Use Policy, I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Be sensible and contact a lawyer if you need to.

All right (@A Void), it does not look to me like you are reading the license properly. Firstly, just from memory of other kinds of software licenses, programs that generate files and source code generally license the generated files differently than the software, and because of this I would assume generated files are not typically "derivative" works of a program. Derivative work usually refers to software that builds off of other software, though the definition may depend on the license used.

Secondly, the "Program" the license refers to is most likely referring to the game itself, as the license has separate specific language for the "Editor".

Thirdly, things created by the editor appear to fit under "New Materials" in the license, whose main prohibition appears to be no commercial use.

At least in the US, copyright is assigned automatically to works you create. There is more protection for formally applying for copyright, however.

Generally licenses will have language in them that require you to agree to assigning a license to the service provider (look at YouTube's license for example, which, if I remember right, has language that states you give them a perpetual / world wide / royalty free / etc etc etc license for them to use works you upload to the service). Warcraft III does not seem to have language like this, probably because they never actually host files you create. I suspect StarCraft II has language like this since its distribution of maps is different.

Edit: While the license that ships with the original game appears to be this way, after further investigation, there is another license that needs to be considered. Basically with the 1.28.x (and maybe 1.27) patches they started referencing a new license when you install / patch the game (which I talk a little more about in an edit here [April Fools] Hive Workshop Map Deprotection ), which does attempt to have you sign away your property/ownership to anything you create. Whether that is actually binding when in an EULA is another matter, I suppose. Not sure if there is precedent for such a case appearing in courts and now I feel too lazy to continue looking into this matter.

Last edited:
Firstly, I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Be sensible and contact a lawyer if you need to.

All right (@A Void), it does not look to me like you are reading the license properly. Firstly, just from memory of other kinds of software licenses, programs that generate files and source code generally license the generated files differently than the software, and because of this I would assume generated files are not typically "derivative" works of a program. Derivative work usually refers to software that builds off of other software, though the definition may depend on the license used.

Secondly, the "Program" the license refers to is most likely referring to the game itself, as the license has separate specific language for the "Editor".

Thirdly, things created by the editor appear to fit under "New Materials" in the license, whose main prohibition appears to be no commercial use.

At least in the US, copyright is assigned automatically to works you create. There is more protection for formally applying for copyright, however.

Generally licenses will have language in them that require you to agree to assigning a license to the service provider (look at YouTube's license for example, which, if I remember right, has language that states you give them a perpetual / world wide / royalty free / etc etc etc license for them to use works you upload to the service). Warcraft III does not seem to have language like this, probably because they never actually host files you create. I suspect StarCraft II has language like this since its distribution of maps is different.

It can be interpreted in many ways, that's how it goes in court. You can poke holes in that damn EULA all day long, that's why they make them so hard to be abused. Any derivative or new material work you do with the editor is still copyrighted by Blizzard, the no commercial use only verifies that you don't really "own" your work, at least not 100%.

Level 10
But let's get back to the original topic, which is far more interesting in my opinion:
People protecting maps is like taking someone elses safe and keys and and they wanna hide their stuff inside there.
I have never been a fan of protection (regarding wc3 maps :p). I think protection of maps would only be needed if you want to hide something, that should not be seen by others.
I don't see any reason to protect a map. Let others learn from your "genius", if you think you are one.

Edit: I see arguments about preventing cheaters incoming

Level 5
It can be interpreted in m
any ways, that's how it goes in court. You can poke holes in that damn EULA all day long, that's why they make them so hard to be abused. Any derivative or new material work you do with the editor is still copyrighted by Blizzard, the no commercial use only verifies that you don't really "own" your work, at least not 100%.

I was pointing out what I perceived to be fundamental flaws in your understanding of the license. Mainly, that in my opinion, world editor created files are not "derivative works" (they even have language later in the license stating creating derivative works of the "program" is not allowed), but "new materials".

Sure, picking at licenses is the job of lawyers, which is why I added that disclaimer in my post. However, we can at least attempt to read the license properly.

As for the no commercial use piece, that only prevents commercial use for "new materials" (which are created by the editor). As far as I can see, there is nothing in there that would prevent you from lifting all the original material you made in a map and moving it to one of your own projects.

I am just not seeing any of the typical language I would expect from a license that would try to lift rights from the user (such as things you would see in employment contracts, or in file sharing services / video services, social media, etc).

Edit: There are additional licenses to look at that change the situation. I updated the original post I wrote here ( [April Fools] Hive Workshop Map Deprotection )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.