• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

AoC 1.5: Abridged

Warcraft: Age of Chaos

A recreation of Blizzard's Warcraft: Orcs & Humans within the Warcraft III engine. Lead the valiant Kingdom of Azeroth or the brutish Orcish Hordes in a battle for the whole of Azeroth. Gather your men, position your catapults, and reign havoc on enemy lines with powerful magiks in Warcraft: Age of Chaos.

Features:
- A recreation of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans with a few balance changes.
- Aesthetic improvements ranging from high quality terrain to units spilling their blood when injured.
- Remastered Warcraft 1 Music from Dawn of Chaos. (Currently unavailable in this version)

Changelog:

- Somehow forgot to upload 1.4 and uploaded AoC: Abridged v1.5 to www.hiveworkshop.com
- Overhaul of the starting options menu
- Allowed the banning of certain units by Host
- Changed unit stats and prices (This is only experimental and bound to change in the future)
- Turned Raise Dead into an Autocast ability
- Added 2 Gold Mines near the middle to extend gameplay (experimental, may be removed in future updates)
- Some upgrades and the spellcasters now cost lumber

- Minor fixes and optimizations
- Changed Archer range from 550 to 600 to make the difference noticeable
- Fixed a bug where Catapult's area of effect attack wouldn't damage Walls
- Reduced gold cost of Invisibility and Unholy Armor to make it more viable
- Upped the damage of Catapults to make them more viable, since players seemed to focus on Conjurers and Warlocks
- Increase Necrolyte attack range and The Dead's attack damage to make them more useful
- Reduced the gold cost of Peasants and Peons
- Increased the cost of Knights, Raiders, Stables, and Kennels
- Reduced armor of Knights and Raiders
- Removed a few road tiles to allow more freedom in building placement

Screenshots:
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Credits:
Blizzard Entertainment, Loktar, Wandering Soul, PROXY, Mr. Goblin, Deolrin, Dojo, General Frank, DoC Team, RotH Team, Heart of Storms Team, supertoinkz, eubz, Sunchips, Mephestrial, 67chrome, Mecheon, AndrewOverlord519, ILH, Ezikielth, Rommel, Tauer, Illidan(Evil)x, Murlocologist, Marcos DAB, BLazeKraze, Linaze, Hueter, Hayate, Fingolfin, HappyTauren and Weep.

Author's Note:
This map was long overdue for an update. Anyway here's the update everybody but not really has been asking for. Play with up to 3 of your friends and duke it out WC1 style. Currently I had to remove the remastered Dawn of Chaos music as it caused issues during uploading, but on the bright side the file size is a lot smaller.
Contents

AoC 1.5: Abridged (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Anyways, really good effort! I hope you'd make more maps and with more players at once, even in teams (random start positions too)! That would great. I never really liked the fact that Warcraft: Orcs & Humans could be played only by two players at a...

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Screenshots should be posted in the description.

Level 3
Seems to be working well, had only the chance to play vs ai that does nothing at the moment and i had some problems placing the road tiles.
But after a while i found a spot where i could build more road tiles, i first thought i could build starting from the town hall.

Only had a quick look, but it definitely had that warcraft 1 feeling, i also like the rectangle building selection.
And the building adjacent to roads gives you this feeling of expanding your base slowly.

Nice map, will try to play it against somebody else soon.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
1. Should not have fixed start locations for better gaming experience and not knowing where each player is every time (this last one in case you decide to make more than 1v1 maps, which I hope you will). I'd also not mark anything on the map either, especially the enemy's position.
2. I don't think it's necessary to have a quest. Also, when you win, it says victory or quit campaign not game.
3. I guess, no refund percentage for cancelled buildings (walls too).
4. Maybe, just maybe replace the soundsets with the original Warcraft: Orcs & Humans ones?
5. Funny thing is that even though you don't have rally points, you can select the worker inside a building and set waypoints. You can do so even before holding the SHIFT key.
6. You can also select more than 4 units at a time.
7. I don't think you should keep the flat terrain aspect.
8. You could also add ground animals, unselectable like that raven.
9. Sometimes the road wants more road near the place where you want to put another piece. Sometimes (happened between a wall and another building just south of the main building) it doesn't want to be placed in some spots if another piece isn't to its left or right even though just up of it there is road.
10. I really don't know the armour and damage types for the original game but I guess it's OK. I don't remember if a catapult actually dealt its whole damage to a building and so on. Did a catapult not kill a knight/wolf rider from one shot without any upgrades on any of the units?
11. Heal wasn't autocast :D You really need to decide whether you want to make it as close to the original or a hybrid of that and Warcraft III. I suggest adding Rally Point to training buildings too if you don't mind then :D
12. You need to find a way not to overlap the text of cannot build there with whatever else there appears on the screen at the same time.
13. I'm not sure Rain of Fire's area of effect and wave delay speed are accurate. Also, I remember the fireballs not falling all at once, if I'm not mistaken of course.
14. I didn't check the music but I hope every faction has all the songs from the original game playing one after the other :D
15. You need to create a Random option. It's not hard, just replace Undead with Human and Night Elf with Orc using triggers.
16. The catapult and raider's icon positions in the Barracks are not the same as the ones for the human catapult and knight.
17. There's a space between the Warlock's spiders upgrade and the other two. The Wizard upgrades aren't positioned like that.
18. I don't remember if the scorpions have teamglow but the spiders do. I don't exactly remember if in the original game either of them had that. I guess not. Same goes for Daemons and Water Elementals.
19. Cloud of Poison is inaccurate. It is supposed to wander by itself damaging units. I think you could simply make it a unselectable timed unit with permanent immolation at the chosen/cast location.
20. I remember that in the original game, you could still hit and units would still acquire enemy units with Unholy Armour on.

Anyways, really good effort! I hope you'd make more maps and with more players at once, even in teams (random start positions too)! That would great. I never really liked the fact that Warcraft: Orcs & Humans could be played only by two players at a time as enemies.
Maybe you could collaborate with @LordPerenoldeII to help each other out improving both your and his work.

Approved.

=============================================================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

To make your work run smoother, fix the so called leaks: Triggers - Memory Leaks and Custom Scripts

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 13
Ayy! New update, this time with AI! The AI is kinda a work in progress and pretty much a small experiment, but it functions pretty well. Have fun guys and glad to hear that some people actually enjoy it or sees some potential in it! Also, thanks for pointing out some things and giving me some advice, deepstrasz.

Level 14
I didn't have a change to play WC1 and WC2, but somehow this map's simplicity make the game very enjoyable. This IS a quality altered melee map. Maybe you can apply these two races into different terrains?

Level 1
it's a cool map
the concept of reliving Warcraft 1 is a interesting idea but the mechanisms we gained in Warcraft 3 make the idea of replaying such game crippling but with such map we can relive the experience with all it's great joy and horrifying mechanisms which act as a reminder of how we progressed in Warcraft 3 but all in all it was a joyful experience to overcome such obstacles :D

Last edited:
Level 29
Hello SgtWinter

You put as tags Altered melee / Melee

Altered Melee and Melee tags are not compatible.

Melee means play the game like Blizzards offers it. You can change the doodads but the units, items, buildings, everything is the preset of Blizzard.

Altered melee means change, races, items, units, heroes,

If you see this link, Maps | HIVE

you will see that your map don´t fit for the melee category. (The link shows the Hive search of the melee category).

so please remove the melee tag. Is important to be honest to the audience. There is a melee comunity that focus on playing melee maps only.

Level 13
Hello SgtWinter

You put as tags Altered melee / Melee

Altered Melee and Melee tags are not compatible.

Melee means play the game like Blizzards offers it. You can change the doodads but the units, items, buildings, everything is the preset of Blizzard.

Altered melee means change, races, items, units, heroes,

If you see this link, Maps | HIVE

you will see that your map don´t fit for the melee category. (The link shows the Hive search of the melee category).

so please remove the melee tag. Is important to be honest to the audience. There is a melee comunity that focus on playing melee maps only.

Done and done. I apologize for the confusion, mate.

Level 13
so u gonna update without saying anything :(?

Oh, I had to? Woops, didn't know that was against site rules. My bad.

Changes are pretty minor (and I listed them all in the changelog). Other than the fact that I added a unit banning system and changed some stats and prices to make it more balanced and less frustrating. (I really only updated this so my friends have a much fast-paced and balanced version to play.)

Anyways, please criticize the crap out of my map and say if there's bugs or any imbalances OR if you have any suggestions.

(I've tested this many times in 1.26 with my friends and 1.30 on LAN, but there may be issues with certain stuff. Please notify me.)