1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

FlightSim 1.5

Submitted by N-a-z-g-u-l
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
This is my Flight Simulator.

It is not meant as an arcade game or anything like that, it's really more a simulation.

Just try it. Movement bases on physical simulation.

This video is recorded in an earlier version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgNxTYwKsq4

And here's a newer one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSIGAxJoJE

Curent Features:
the updated main engine (friction surfaces, thrust vectoring, 3d-rotation, angular+linear velocity, inertia, ground collision), landing gears, stalling, bullets, missiles, bombs, flares, wind, air brakes, interface, precise bullet/missile/bomb/flare collision, simulated engine sound (using doppler and sound delay effects), simple ai and multiple camera settings.

Current vehicles:
F22, MiG29, A10, B2, Bf109, Cobra (Helicopter), Destroyer (Ship) and a Transport Aircraft

The map does not have any given tasks, however, you can easily challange yourself, just try to land an aircraft, that should be difficult enough in the beginning^^ try evading incoming missiles or hit your enemy with missiles... (add bots in the normal wc3 menu, but dont spam them!! On some computers a single ai may already be laggy, because all the physics have to be calculated twice)

It is probably impossible to play it online, theoretically it should be possible, however, due to lagg it would be hard to control.

Damage is disabled in this version due to fun reasons.

Have fun playing around with it!

Keywords:
FlightSim, Flight Simulator, Aircraft
Contents

FlightSim 1.5 (Map)

Reviews
12:57, 15th Nov 2009 ap0calypse: Approved Not suitable for a game, but a very realistic simulator. Even though it is a system, it is still playable and there is an AI, making it a map as well (so it does suit this section).
  1. 12:57, 15th Nov 2009
    ap0calypse: Approved

Not suitable for a game, but a very realistic simulator.
    Even though it is a system, it is still playable and there is an AI, making it a map as well (so it does suit this section).

2. Falke13

Falke13

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice idea but still need improvements.
    The first time i played something happned and i got massive messages saying something for ID (can't remember).I have played Flight Simulator games and i know but they work, but how can you make the airplane go up or down? there is only a speed increase and decrease.
    I am going to post more comments when i have more time

I saw the video.............JUST IMBA!!!!!!

Add the video here istead of giving a non-clickable link or just make the link clickable

Is this map hostable , i mean can other players play?

3. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    dont know whether it can be played online... its a bit laggy, thus requiring even more skill to fly the planes... so i doubt its playable online well

you can take off by pressing W like three times, and then using arrow keys (did not mention that anywhere, true :D )

so accelerate, and press the down key to take off

Unable to allocate ID for bla probably... Hm... That means my script has a leak somewhere (a struct leak)

EDIT: Which plane did you have? and were you standing on the ground?

and: did you remember the struct name? Either vector, or quaternion or matrix are the most likely ones.

EDIT2: I found a single vector leak... One vector per bullet/missile fired... You did not fire 8192 bullets/missiles, did you?^^ or ai? uploaded the fixed version

EDIT3: ah, got an idea: How many AI planes did you use? maybe it was too much for the code so the code stopped executing and did not reach to the vector destruction part... I will test this tomorrow

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  4. Falke13

Falke13

Resources:
    Resources:
    Y that was the problem: unable to allocate.....
    I had the starting plane (don't know its name) and i was at the air flying , but i remember that i crushed on water, then spammed Reset a few times :D and then got the error. That was the first time and i put full house so the error didn't happen bcs of the spammy bullets/missiles but from the bots.
    I am not sure but i think it was the Vector error

5. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    thanks!

(do not play full house^^ the maximum players i tested it with was 4, and performance is already lower than normal. Its best to try with only one player or 2)

probably the bots did spam bullets / missiles. However, I will either reduce the maximum player count or fix that problem for many players. or both.

6. Falke13

Falke13

Resources:
    Resources:
    For some uknown reasons the plane can't stay at the same high all the time.The machine just gives it power to go forward but there is nothing to let it fly really , it always falls down and u have to make it go up again.I mean you have to spamm the up arrow key if u want your plane go forward if u don't, it will go down with a small angle.

AIs are something like enemies right? Red plaeyr should be able to attack(missile) them but you can't see them anywhere and if im right they are behind all the time and just hunting u

This map is for 1 person only or others can join too?

7. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    the plane does not fly straigt forward? yes, but thats what planes act like. you have to fix that by hand. (using the height rudders - up/down keys)

did you retract the landing gears? they add friction to the plane under the center of mass -> they rotate the plane downwards.

Red is able to attack them, just slow down and the AI will fly by and you will be able to attack it.
    (why would the AI want to fly in front of you voluntarily?)

others can join, but they might have delay

8. Falke13

Falke13

Resources:
    Resources:
    Have u played any Flight Simulator games?I mean the real good Flight Simulators like Microsoft Flight Simulator.If you find the perfect spot when you are flying on this game your plane can go forward without trying fix the angle or it's just don't falls so fast it goes so slow that it doesn't really matters.

About the AI i can just feel they are behing them but i can't see them.Minimap doesn't show them ,even with a hard to see colour

I am going to test it with a friend and see how it goes.

EDIT: done with testing ........ not really , i was on the airway and looking the airplanes.Finally i decide to start with the helicopter.I press W ultin power reaches 100% and wouala a nice blue screen of death (that's the way it's called)(im not sure if the blue screen was bcs of the map so don't take it personal).I am going to test again :D

EDIT:tested with a m8 again.Again blue screen(Only for host---->me).Played alone: everything were running smoothly

If u land somewhere(after your first take off) the ai will fall on the ground too
    All the airplanes except the starting one have less than their full hp.
    How do u know if your missiles hit an ai?
    Water isn't visible at the minimap
    And last thing, WTF is going on with the ship it falls to the sides if it is on ground or in the water

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  9. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Microsoft Flight Simulator is no real flight simulator.
    Do you know X-Plane? thats a flight simulator. Microsoft Flight Simulator is more of a game.

You cannot see the AI? Theres an option to change the camera.

bluescreen? I did not know that this is possible with wc3... and makes no sense... so well, then play it single player.

the AI is no real AI, its just following you, so... it simply flies to the position where you are.

HP? why do you complain about that? I mean, nothing damages your plane or anything like that, the HP simply do not play a role.
    And all planes start with full HP, just the maximum hp displayed by warcraft arent the maximum HP the planes have.

How do you know? Watch
    Water is invisible on the minimap? yes, its custom water, could only make it visible with a custom minimap. Dont pay too much attention to the minimap.
    Cant see the bot on the map? It has no icon.

The ship: doesnt fall to the sides, if you put it into water gently. However, the ship's physics need some work, thats true. (as helicopter and B2 probably need)

10. Falke13

Falke13

Resources:
    Resources:
    Never heard of X-Plane can u explain me what it is and where i can find it?

Bluescreen can happen by warcraft , i had an almost same problem when i bought my new pc , every time i was opening warcraft i got a bluescreen

Sucky answer , is there any way to tell that it hitted the target?

Even if they have full hp it's just look bad for the first airplane to have full hp(100/100) and the other to have less (50/1000, 78/200 etc)

11. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    google

and no, theres no way to tell whether you hit the target yet except for watching.
    HP will be changed later...

12. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This simulator is as realistic as possible with warcraft and it is very stressfull for the game, so I never expect a game for this... it would just require too much memory.
    When playing with 5 AI's, I've seen a lot of problems (Attempting to destroy a null struct of type: vector / double free of type: vector/matrix).

Of course, as I've said before: it requires a lot of memory to calculate the physics the way you have done it, so it's only normal that keeping 6 planes in the air stresses the game a lot.

I don't see any problems with the physics as they are now, I can only suggest to lower the amount of players (to 3-4, maximum), that should reduce a bit lag.

I've been testing and playing this for a while, never had a blue screen of death, the worst thing that happened was that I had to use the end-of-the-world-spell to close warcraft (when playing with 4-5 AI's).

I was succesful in driving the boat (from the moment it's correctly in the water, it's really easy), but it was so slow that I instantly switched to another plane.
    The chopper is very hard in this version... the last version seemed easier for some reason.

All in all: very good work, but not suitable for a game.
    Approved anyway.

13. XKillerBoy

XKillerBoy

Resources:
    Resources:
    You can also press alt+f4 alt+g. BSOD by hitting water.

Edit: And resetting position!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  14. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Updated it!

Version 1.1:

- Added assistance to make it much easier to control airplanes (especially permanent angular velocity is fixed by this)
    - Added some effects
    - Added a camera following your target all the time, making it easier to find it, and check whether your attack was successful

For all of you who thought that flying the planes as too difficult, this gives you a very nice improvement:
    Assistance mode

its activated by default and can be turned off with ESC to get the old behaviour. You simply no longer control the rudders by hand, but a little script does this for you. For example, you press the Right-key, then the script tries to apply a rotation around the x-axis to the plane via rudders. if theres no key pressed, then the script will keep the currently pitch/yaw/roll angles, as long as its possible with the rudders.

Also, theres a new camera: it has your plane on the screen and the camera is pointing towards your enemy. it is available as soon as you fired any weapon targeting an enemy. this will be your target then.

15. hell gate

hell gate

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    lol i can't control it but it's great ^^
    sometimes it happens that i fly undergroud and i have to reset the position.
    5/5 and +rep

16. Falke13

Falke13

Resources:
    Resources:
    I got a blue screen again , but this time was on single player.
    Don't know why it really happens

Now planes are easier to control (in the few minutes i played)

17. hell gate

hell gate

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Resources:
  18. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    yeah, i dont know :D that happened to me, too... often... ^^ but did not know how to fix it... the destroyer starts to rotate too fast and then pushes itself... maybe the values for inertia are wrong or warcraft is simply unable to handle such big numbers (about 1 billion^^, and then in another step 1/1billion, i already changed something there, but dont know...) doesnt happen when the ship is slow... something about the friction surfaces, however, the only thing i changed there was that about stalling and the destroyer kept on going crazy when i disabled that part... (lift is now also dependent on the air flow parallel to the friction surface, no longer only perpendicular, using my own calculated formula :D )
    EDIT: Checked it again, and disabled friction completely... the ship started to spin like crazy nevertheless... its about the transformation from angular velocity to angular momentum and back (which is done each step, because otherwise rotating the ship into one axis where it can be rotated easier wouldnt accelerate the rotation and vice versa) i will think about it, maybe simply reduce the inertia or calculate it differently
    EDIT2: Instead of inverting the rotated inertia tensor I now rotate the inverted tensor... just a different order of operations, and it works better as far as i can tell, not perfect yet ^^

so better dont use the destroyer, or place it in the water VERY carefully... (when you play with the AI, they use the destroyer... and it works) its boring to swim around with it anways, becaue its so slow (normally^^)

by the way, heres a new demo video^^:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSIGAxJoJE

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  19. thedeathunterxx

thedeathunterxx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    very realistic. liked it alot.

i liked how the plane was always effected by wind, and you had to straighten it out mnually, like a real plane. You should make a commercial jet for the noobs.