Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Android Phone's Battery Life

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sonofjay, Dec 26, 2014.

1. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So my Mom's friend gave me a Firefly s100Q android phone since he probably noticed that I'm still using my 2009 xpressmusic which I don't really mind at all since it is still functioning just like when I first bought it but since the phone is there I'm not gonna say nope to it. Quad Core, KitKat 4.4.2.

The question is, is it normal to only have a battery life of 8-10 hours? All I do with the phone is standby, play music, standby, text(rarely on this phone since I'm not really the touch screen guy), standby, check time, standby and play Stone of Life and Adventure Town for a bit and browse when I'm lazy to open my laptop or desktop.

I went to the store and told me that 8-10 hours of battery life is actually very long considering that normal android phone's life is only around 5-6 hours and I stare at her for a good couple of minutes before leaving. Are Android Phone's really just like that? I'm considering just buying a spare battery that I can carry.

2. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    if you turn on wifi the batery goes down in chunks. Also the display has quite high power usage, so yeah, and this is not only android's problem, but generally any device. Even notebook's/laptop's(choose one fitting you the most) time before batery dies goes down rapidly when you turn on wifi.

3. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Nothing out of the ordinary so far.
    Except that I listen to music and surfing the net shitting out the battery out of my phone a lot.

I get the same thing :p

4. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But I turn off my wi-fi when I'm not using it(its a habit of mine, I even turn off the router when I'm not using it) my screen brightness is set to low since my eyes are sensitive to too much brightness and my screensaver is on and always set it to idle when I'm not using it. For now I'm using a battery consumption manager to make sure that nothing is running on the background.

So 8-10 hours of battery life is just normal? Hmmm. Welp, I guess my new phone will accommodate a lot of dust since it looks like I'm still gonna use my XpressMusic since it is more reliable on the road. Can last a couple of days and I use it for listening to music a lot.

Thanks for replying. I thought I got robbed there(more like my Mom's friend). Still grateful for the gift though.

5. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    screen saver, the thing with the most misleading name of all time. Just turn off your display when not working with mobile, with turned off display and wifi you can have the phone run for like 2 days straight or even more(or you should be able to, anyways)

6. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Isn't screensaver is the one that automatically turn off your display when you're not using it? I set it to automatically turn off when the phone is idle for 10 seconds.

Or am I using the word with different a context?

7. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It depends on how good mobile reception is to it. If the phone is right next to a service mast it will consume noticeably less power than if you are at the very edge of a mast reception range. This is because it will have to use more power to communicate and also will spend more time trying to communicate when signal quality is low from distance or obstruction.

Disable features such as positioning (GPS) and Bluetooth to conserve power as well. You could also try setting it to "airplane" mode since that can change it into a lower power operating mode (to produce less interference around it).

Do be aware that if the phone is second hand (you were given his old phone when he got a new one) then it probably is natural battery degeneration. Replacing the phone's battery in this case with a brand new one (of reasonable quality) will give you considerably higher battery life.

Lithium Ion batteries used by phones have a finite charge cycle life expectancy. After so many thousand battery hours (hours spent using the battery) its charge holding capabilities will have degraded by some fraction. Degradation will be faster if the phone is allowed to run completely empty or left fully changed for long periods.

8. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My Wifi router is in my room so its like 2 meters away from me when I'm at my bed and just arms reach when I'm in my work desk. Anyway, this is a cool info and I'll keep this in mind.

My Phone is already set to that. I hate gps shit.

Nope, its brand new, he let me choose in the store of what model I want. And it seems that it is a quality product.

Interesting, so having it fully charge for a long time is bad.

Anyway, I don't let my phone run out of battery. I'm doing the healthy charging by charging the phone when the battery is less than 20%

9. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My android takes about 12h to drain from 100%, with light usage (wifi, memo, firefox). Then again I don't play much anymore, I guess it's the games that eat battery.

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I am sorry I thought you said "Android Phone's" not "Tablet I only use in home". I am talking about the mobile phone reception not WiFi (they work completely differently). Being a "mobile" phone means that a lot of power is used connecting to the mobile phone network (why you buy a mobile phone instead of lugging a tablet around).

What is the specified battery life on standby? Usually they are a few hundred hours not 8 (I just received some Android phone recently as well).

11. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I got a new phone this christmas, the manual stated 9-10 hours of battery. But that's only if you have it on standby. Surf on the internet with wifi and it will only last a few hours.

12. BloodDrunk

BloodDrunk

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lumia phones have strong battery :p

13. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hardware, software (ROM), usage (WiFi, Bluetooth, screen-on times, background processes, ...), cell reception, and many other factors should be taken into consideration.

GPS is actually a non-issue, because it does nothing when you are not using it.

Different ROMs can give different results regarding speed and battery life.

Using "RAM freeing" applications (and generally speaking, forcing applications to close) is a terrible idea that makes your phone slower and take more battery power (if you do this, google why this is stupid, Android doesn't work like a desktop OS).

If your phone can't get into deep sleep (due to background processes, bugs, etc.), it reduces battery power by a huge factor when it is locked. You can check this with different deep sleep applications.

WiFi in general takes a very big factor of power usage, doesn't matter if you have good reception.

You should obviously check your phone's battery stats and see what takes the most power.

Fact is, though, high-end cellphones tend to have bad battery lives. The batteries aren't advancing anywhere, yet the hardware is becoming a whole lot more power hungry, the result is obvious. This has nothing to do specifically with Android, though.

14. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It would never really save power anyway even on desktops since RAM is generally either on or off and is not a major power user anyway (almost always passively cooled).
    Never said it did, I was referring to cell tower reception. It makes a noticeable difference if your phone is constantly dropping out of reception or if it is continuously connected.
    The big issue is people over-engineering phones. It is a phone not a super computer... Why does it need Direct3D 11.2 compliant graphics (snapdragon powered phones claim that)? The fact you can run a Nintendo Wii emulator on a phone says it all.

15. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sorry I thought we're talking about Wi-fi there. My concern is about my phone.

I see, then I'll uninstall that app and find some good "deep sleep applications". Thanks for telling me this. Hopefully this will extend my battery life for at least a few minutes since my phone is always on standby.

I'm observing my phone for a few days now and its usually 30-40% on Cell Standby around 30% on Phone Idle (can someone tell me what is the difference between those two?) around 15-20% on Screen and 15% Android System the rest goes to music, the two games that I'm playing and wifi all not going more than 5%.

New Phones can? Holy shit.

16. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well there are still issues... However there are developers working on it extensively with several hundred commits every month towards it.

17. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I see. Its impressive what this new phones can do.

Anyway, just have a question. Is it okay to use the phone while charging like playing music? It is fine for my XpressMusic but well, that is nokia so I'm just wondering if its also okay for Android Phones.

18. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The OS makes no difference? Cheap ones might suffer from overheating during the time (as both charging+using resources might make too much heat) however it should regulate itself to some degree even cutting down performance when required to keep cool. This applies to all phones not just ones using Android OS (such as Windows and IOS).

Once it is fully charged it should only ever use the charger as the source of power so the battery will not produce much heat. In fact it should run cooler than using the battery as draining the battery makes heat.

19. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Cell standby is your cellular antenna working, phone idle is just your phone doing nothing (e.g. your screen is locked and you are not having background processes running, like music) and preferably in deep sleep.

The stats you mentioned are actually pretty weird, using my own experience. They could either suggest you are hardly using your phone at all and it is idle almost always (in which case your battery is just bad), or that your cell reception is terrible, and your phone isn't going into deep sleep.

20. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So its fine right? Thanks.

Thanks for explaining that.

Yeah, I rarely use it. I just use it for playing music, reading some wattpad novels, and playing one rpg for like 10 minutes and checking my adventure town to harvest and restock my shops. My new phone is just like for killing boredom or when waiting for something.

So I observe the battery consumption of my phone again. I left it for 8 hours and the battery didn't reduce(the percentage remained the same). Just checking my phone like browsing apps and gallery without opening anything reduced 1% in less than 5 minutes but playing music(locking the phone when it started playing) for 30 minutes reduced the same percentage. Games are obviously battery eater, I left my phone fully charged to my lil bro before and it took four and a half hours of continues playing before running out of battery.