• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

an amazon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I couldn't find my old thread.. vanished somewhere deep within the hierarchy.. so I'll just post this separately .. vastly changed my style, because I am using Corel Painter Essentials instead of Photoshop, and I actually got to do everything manually now, instead of cheating. It feels better when I finish though. :)

amazont.png

Feedback appreciated. Feel free to bash anything, I like harsh criticism. Don't hold back on anything. Oh, and for the sake of saying it.. please don't redistribute or edit in any way, anywhere.. ask me at least.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

What, you've never seen a woman with a spiked lance before?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

There is only one part that is smudged beyond repair, and that is the background. :D
(Yes, there's no smudge whatsoever on the drawing itself, all done with Digital Airbrush.)

Level 3
The amazon looks nice! Personally I think the face is really nicely executed.

Anyways, the background could use some work.. well, maybe not, but I think it'd look better without all the smudge. I could understand you, though, if you said that it would be too much work :p

And some other criticism.. the armor looks nice, but the shield.. mh.. kinda has too much of the same colour as the cliffs in the background, IMO. Maybe more highlights, if it's supposed to be made out of metal.

Oh, and what exactly is she wielding as a weapon? If it's a spear, where did the lower half of the helve/shaft go? Should appear right left to her legs, no? And maybe it would even look better if it had another colour than the peak of the weapon.

Nice one, if it's really your first totally free handed one, after all ;]

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Finally some criticism! :)

Thanks, I really spent a lot of time trying to get the face about right, and the lips were a pain- all the time it looked like she had snus[*] under her lip. This is the best result I managed to achieve and I am really happy with it.

The background could use some work indeed, I would have done so too, if it hadn't been for my eagerness to get this posted somewhere for feedback and that the time was ticking towards next morning and I was practically exhausted. I haven't quite found the time to finish up the background yet though- but it would practically be the same, only with painted rocks and snow instead of just smudge.. I don't really like smudge, but it allows for really quick backgrounds and personal opinion; it looks better than one colour. Furthermore I do not really have much experience drawing terrain, so it will be a useful challenge.

When you say it, I realize it as well. The shield lacks the highlights that I added on the rest of the armour. Basically, I should add something more to it as well, as a shield without ornaments is rather boring.

Aye, it's a spear, and I guess I misjudged the angle- thinking I would get easily away with letting the spear end up in front of her, hidden by the legs. :D
Oh, and that could be an idea, yeah- I had initially intended for it to be wood, but then I thought that it didn't fit to introduce another material that is only used in the spear, so I went with metal. Though perhaps the spearhead could be changed, enchantment of some kind perhaps?

I've always freehanded the majority of my drawings, but at some point during the process I got bored and abused smudge-effects in Photoshop to produce textured surfaces and layers in 'Multiply' to enhance the shading. Now, none of this is available (the smudge in Painter does only offer to smudge or not smudge, it's no such thing as a scattered smudge with a square brush for instance) .. so yeah, it is my first fully freehanded with no effects or filters used.

Appreciate the feedback!

Level 3
Oh, well, the lips are close to being perfect. The lower lip definitley is, but the upper one.. hm.. I'm not sure, but the shape isn't right.. somehow. Eh, the more I think about it the odder it looks.. maybe it's the highlight on it.. you could try out to make it a little pinky (= the colour of her lips) to check if that looks better.. I just recently got into 2D arts so I can't really tell and maybe I'm judging it wrong ;)

I happen to like the spear more and more, so no need to change it to wood :D And some enchantment on the head? Well.. I can't think of any fitting one, so.. you could try it, but I'm quite sceptic about it (I wouldn't be if I see/could think of something adequate) Atm she looks kinda "brute" and more like the physical type.. Therefore I can't even think of some eye candy for the shield.. you could add some of those red leather she weares to it, but it's fine as it is (apart from the highlights which you're hopefully already working on! ;])

I agree, doing everything by your own makes you feel much better and even the outcome looks way better, IMO.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

^_^"

Well, eh.. lady inspiration had a fine butt.

Also arent amazons supposed to be from south america?
The amazonic forest has nothing to do with women riding horses with spears. Women around here would just cook and take care of children. I don't know why they call that fighting women amazons. Or why they call the forest 'amazonic'.

btw, nice drawing, but a beach would be fitting better as a background lulz. I don't like the boob-armor. You should make it just like that slim red cloth. Or no clothing at all :ugly:

Always wonderes whats up with half-naked women as game like characters or in concepts, perhaps its a typical nerd fantasy.

This way are faster and more agile without that unecessary weight. Bullets makes the heavy armor obsolete and I always bring some heavy weapons on the field, such the smoke covers teh battlefield :3

Level 22
amazons also chopped off one of their boobs so they could handle their bows properly. i think that she wouldnt last a SEECCCONNNDD in battle cause her LEGS WOULD GET CHOPPED OFF CUZ NO ARMORRRRR. personally, i never was a fan of scarcely armored female warriors. if theyre gonna fight, atleast give them so protection :)

Level 24
The amazonic forest has nothing to do with women riding horses with spears. Women around here would just cook and take care of children. I don't know why they call that fighting women amazons. Or why they call the forest 'amazonic'.
Am⋅a⋅zon
1. a river in N South America, flowing E from the Peruvian Andes through N Brazil to the Atlantic Ocean: the largest river in the world in volume of water carried. 3900 mi. (6280 km) long.
2. Classical Mythology. one of a race of female warriors said to dwell near the Black Sea.
3. one of a fabled tribe of female warriors in South America.
4. (often lowercase) a tall, powerful, aggressive woman.
5. Amazon ant.
6. any of several green parrots of the genus Amazona, of tropical America, often kept as pets.
Taken from dictionary.com

Yeah I read a bit about it. the women in a few amazonian tribes aren't sedentary (dedicating theirselves to children and agriculture/food) but they hunt/gather. they would even rip off one of the boobs in order to use the bow better... (not a big loss)

Anyhow, YOU DID IT WRONG. IT EEZ LIEK TAHT:

<Edited out>
(I assume he drawed the mythology one lol)

:ugly:

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

4. (often lowercase) a tall, powerful, aggressive woman.
Really no need to add more to it. Otherwise she also jumps into the category of mythological - female warriors dwelling near the Black Sea (except there's a lack of high snowy mountains afaik).

Sleek armour allows for more agile acrobatics. She's got protection for the more vital parts (except I didn't throw a helmet on her - which in any way would limit sight and awareness) .. there's no need for leg armour, it only limits movement - true enough they're exposed, but heck if she grants her foe enough time to hit her low, she's not much of a fighter anyway!

Thanks for criticism though, I appreciate it. I intend to fix some mistakes and update this when I get some time on my hands.. University is busy busy busy..

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Valkyrie might be more appropriate.

Except for the lack of holiness. As far as I know, Valkyries are considered more like angels, while amazons are aggressive, female warriors.

However, this started out as a Valkyrie, but I didn't like the outcome, so I changed it.. Original Artwork

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Thanks, to everyone I didn't thank yet. (Yap, I'm too lazy to list nicks).

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Lust is a sin :p
Angels are not unique to Christianity.

The eyes could use some adjusting - they aren't bad, just not oriented correctly, atleast from what I can tell.

Anyways, this is very well done. Smudging is a tool in Photoshop, so it can be used.

Great job, again. :)

Thanks. Aye, smudge is a tool in Photoshop, though this is Painter (Essentials), and there is no smudge like the one in Photoshop. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.