• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Alternate forms

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I use unit's alternate forms as the base form? It always uses the default model when I put it in the map
If you look at Druid of the Claw (Bear Form) for example, the relevant thing that sets the bear form is "Art - Required X Names", I don't know what each individual part is, but I just copy all 3 alternate (and alternateex).
1660494594114.png

Attachments large is not relevant for this and can be removed if it is a "normal sized" unit.

I just copy all 3 alternate (and alternateex).

Hmm, but actually, isn't this incorrect?

The string "alternateex" actually doesn't work. If we look at the model data, that will swap the Portrait face of the character to the bear, but it does not swap the model itself.
The "Druid of the Claw (Bear Form)" unit has the string "alternate" added to "Art - Required Animation Names" automatically by the Warcraft III game engine because this unit has the "Bear Form" ability on his ability list. If you give him no abilities, it will fall back on being a night elf looking guy even though he has bear sounds and bear stats.

So, if you are making a new custom unit that does not shapeshift, and you want your new unit to always be a night elf bear like that, then you need to use different settings than what ThompZon showed. In particular, use "alternate" instead of "alternateex". I think that "alternateex" might be some placeholder put in with the Frozen Throne expansion or something, when they decided to have this field be not used and have the morphing ability add "alternate" to the Required Animation Name(s) instead. Or... something like that. It's been too long so I don't remember if it was a Frozen Throne-only thing, but it might have been. It definitely looks like somebody edited it when it "used to" say "alternate" and they changed it to "alternateex" so it wouldn't be used, and the ability would be used instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.