• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Alternate Americav.1

What if the American colonies hadn't stayed united after the revolution? What if the Europeans had continued to mount vigorous attempts at taking over the new world even after they lost control? You have stepped into the world of "what if's" nothing happened like it was suppose to colonies didn't unite. The east coast of America is covered in warfare ,each colony now its own country trying to gain dominance over the others, the smoke of muskets and cannons cover the country, alliances are formed and broken as long as they stand useful, peace is an illusion.

Wage your war in this alternate world, and create your alliances, be a European country or American and smash your foes beneath your heal and conquer the new world and more.

Keywords:
America, Revolutionary War, USA, United States, Alternate
Contents

Alternate Americav.1 (Map)

Reviews
04:09, 2nd Oct 2008 VGsatomi: Good concept, however there is not too much that sets this apart from other risk-style maps. players start very close to eachother, making for some high risk fights at the beginnings, while some europe players have more...

M

04:09, 2nd Oct 2008
VGsatomi: Good concept, however there is not too much that sets this apart from other risk-style maps. players start very close to eachother, making for some high risk fights at the beginnings, while some europe players have more safe time to build up. Good use of appropriate imported models. More straightforward then most, making the learning curve short.

Level 5
its just basically invade surroundings, the story just drops you in after the american revolution and the Colonies have broken apart and now I pretty much have it so you make the history your self so theirs no pre destined anything, except i made add in events that change player tech.

Level 9
I found a little time tonight to see what I could get out of your map by playing alone, and I wrote up a little review for it of first impressions:

[+] : Creative idea, I like it a lot.
[-] : Map description missing.
[+] : Seems to be relatively balanced.
[ ] : Decent number of units.
[ ] : Terrain not bad, could be more lively. The hill/road down the middle is odd.
[ ] : This map just feels like it is screaming out to have Native American troops.
[ ] : I can't decide if this should be pushed for more realism or not, in terms of units available and accuracy of weapons.
[-] : Riflemen turning into Axemen? While melee seems like a good idea, it just plays out very oddly. I don't like it with how it is currently implemented.
[-] : Tooltips inconsistent. Some need capitalization, some are way to short.
[-] : Professional Riflemen misspelled as "Proffessional." I like how you thought of making European troops different from American ones, however.
[-] : Please organize the building positions (X,Y) so that they line up correctly under the builder. It just seems unprofessional.
[-] : Lack of shadows and ground textures takes away from feel.
[-] : Fort, Dragoon, and Sharpshooter icons do not have disabled versions (aka goes green)

Overall: Too early to give you a rating, but it feels unfinished, I haven't had time to play this map fully, and I won't be hasty. I'll see if I can find more time to test this online.

Level 5
hmm I didn't put the disabled ones because I thought that only mattered if I made them require a research or something, but if thats a problem ill put in the disabled, and I don't put shadows and shit in because they feel to large now that I've scaled everything down but I'll still see what I can do, and I knew Pro rifle was spelt wrong just couldnt remember correct spelling lol.

I'll fix tooltips, and yeah I know the terrain isn't very lively, I haven't worked on it much since I made the basic outline pretty much.

And thank you for saying it was balanced I play my map every day to get testing done, and someone always says this game imbalanced for who ever they are, and I've double checked I've been south, north, and euro and they all are pretty equal you need to fight a little different but all equal.

Native American Troops- Was thinking of adding in Native American Trading posts that could be captured, and if you capture them you can train Native Warriors who would be invisible, weaker then axeman and good for ambushes (of course I'd need to add in a scout for everyone else that saw invisible units then.

The Axeman point your made is one I get alot, I would love to do bayonet infantry instead but if I just made rifleman melee its odd to see them attacking at 0 range and smoking coming from their guns, but again I'm working on that.

The building system is being changed, because currently all the triggers I'm using to make just certain units available needs to be changed now because I'm adding way more unique units for places, so I'm gonna make everyone's worker unique instead and just lay out different barracks and trenches to simplify so that I can lower how many triggers are in map, and make it easier for me to add new stuff to certain countries as suggestions are made.

Anyway thank you for indepth comment, it will help me a lot in improving my map.

Level 9
Anyway thank you for indepth comment, it will help me a lot in improving my map.

No problem! I'll review it again when the next version comes out, it's great to see active mapmakers.

I understand the issue with having riflemen have bayonet attacks, and I've had the problem myself, it's just the whole thing is very hard to implement. The solution I've found myself using has been, well, to not have a melee attack. Which is disappointing, of course, given the era and what weapons were used and how prominent bayonet/melee attacks could be used.

Now, I've thought of another suggestion: Scale the map a little more? It just... feels awkward with so many states so close together. While I understand it speeds up the game a little more, I feel it can be expanded just a little to make room for perhaps additional trading outposts and whatever else is needed. And last note: Was it intended that bases are spawned whether or not a player is playing?

Level 5
No the base thing was never , meant to be spawned based on weather a player is their or not, but I might make it so I player who is not theirs base is more defended, so that full house isnt required for a balanced game. I'm leaving the melee in because it actually helps a lot in fights, I've won a war off the backs of axeman because I couldn't afford cavalry to defend my rifles. The states are close because it increases competition, unlike most games with the cp system their is usually a period of peace while people consolidate themselves, I tried to make this map so that if you wanted to survive you needed to either ally or rush a player to get your economy up, so while I might add a little room it wont be by a lot.

But anyway any unit ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited: