• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Alchemy Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
@cleavinghammer This is already the case in wc3 & tft; the longest tower range is 800 or 850 (i'm not 100% which one) but siege units like the mortar team, demolishers, etc. have a range of 1150

Level 28
Precisely.

So if there's some custom building that encourages turtling such as walls, towers with boosted range, etc. (having a large source of gold in the base helps but isn't necessarily the main reason to bunker down, see previous discussion), just have siege units with longer range than anything the turtler can build.

Level 6
@cleavinghammer This is already the case in wc3 & tft; the longest tower range is 800 or 850 (i'm not 100% which one) but siege units like the mortar team, demolishers, etc. have a range of 1150

Just looked at battle.net and its 800, and only the human cannon tower and orc watchtower have this great range, every other tower has a range of 700

If I accurately recall a range advantage of as little as 50 can make a huge difference in a battle...in this case the attacker has a range advantage of 350

Level 9
Best one against a turtling player would be earthquake.
Things like rain of fire, are also good.

For spells that a player can just can cast from afar I would suggest rain of chaos, as I've already mentioned 3 or more infernals inside your base is no laughing matter.
Force of nature can be used if there's a nearby forest.

You can get creative and throw one of those poison wards or whatever the meat wagon uses in your enemy's base. There are tons of ideas you can use, I just haven't really put too much thought into this.

Also I believe it was mission 1 of WOS book 4 that had the cannon I mentioned, in a later mission of the same book you get to use this cannon against your enemies.

Level 28
Leafeater Curse: Destroys all trees in the target area.

Sheeportal: Produces 1 neutral sheep every 30 seconds at the target point.

Fester: Creates a Disease Cloud on every corpse in the target area.

Napalm Lobber: Casts X Flame Strikes at random locations in the target area with a 5-second delay.

Force Wall/Cage: Creates an ethereal wall with Mana Shield at the target point/walls centered on the target point.

Fire Wall/Cage: Creates an ethereal wall of fire with Permanent Immolation at the target point/walls centered on the target point.

Thorn Wall/Cage: Creates a wall of thorns with Spiked Barricades or Spiked Carapace at the target point/walls centered on the target point.

Earth Wall/Cage: Creates a stone wall with Hardened Skin and Resistant Skin at the target point/walls centered on the target point.

Wind Wall/Cage: Creates an ethereal wall of tornadoes with Cyclone and automatic short-range cycloning at the target point/walls centered on the target point.

Ice Wall/Cage: Creates a wall of ice with permanent Frost Armor at the target point/walls centered on the target point.

Iron Wall/Cage: Creates a wall of iron with Divine Shield at the target point/walls centered on the target point.

Level 14
I wish I was better at writing triggers...
By reading a bunch of tutorials and making some triggers you will progress fast.
I advise you if you want to get in triggering to read the tutorial about unit indexing(and do a spell using unit indexing for mui and ideally that spell involves moving units periodically) so that you can wrap around your head around complex structures then read a hash table tutorial and complete all that with some training in creating geometric structures(such as making a trigger that assemble units to create an instant castle with multiple buildings).
(all that without forgetting memory leaks) then you will probably have enough experience to make triggers correctly.

Last edited:
Level 28
Arcane Tempest: Gives every enemy in the target area a random debuff.

Shroud: Makes every unit (ally and enemy) in the target area invisible for the duration of the effect.

Blessing of Cenarius: Grows a tree at a random point in the target area every X seconds. Trees that grow out of buildings cause damage to the building.

Reactions: Rem
Level 14
Arcane Tempest: Gives every enemy in the target area a random debuff.

Shroud: Makes every unit (ally and enemy) in the target area invisible for the duration of the effect.

Blessing of Cenarius: Grows a tree at a random point in the target area every X seconds. Trees that grow out of buildings cause damage to the building.
Maybe we should start a new thread for stuff like that?

Level 9
Leafeater Curse: Destroys all trees in the target area.

Taking all the trees away from a certain region will basically destroy ability to produce units and structures, it's not a good ability to give somebody.

Anyway regarding these superweapon ideas:

I don't know what you wanna call this but it basically disables all enemy spellcasting in a circle; use statis trap or sentry ward ability to create a unit and then have the unit cast a highly modified cloud on itself, this cloud ability would be modified to prevent all spell-casting in a region. You can also make this abilty prevent all units from attacking, range attacks as well as miss attacks I believe.

Summon a stationary unit at a particular location, the unit needs to have a strong attack; this is basically like the Wrath of Taor from the forgotten war campaign, only with a bigger range.

Bombing run. - Ok this one is basically modifying flying machines to have pheonix's pheonix fire ability and target only ground structures, and have these fly over the area. This wouldn't fit some map theme, but it's creative.

Modify Archmonde's dark portal ability and summon whatever you like into your enemy's base.

Shock orb - summons an uncontrollable orb that casts fan of knives modified with the far seer's electric projectile.

Level 12
i keep trying to focus on modding wc3. but then i get really busy irl,

anyway some good ideas everyone

Also that shock orb or whatever spell was mentioned, wouldnt it be better if instead you had a flame orb that shoots flames at everything, and that has liquid fire, which severely damages structures and affects their rof

Level 9
That's the idea, the enemy is forced to either hide away in their quasi-infinite-gold base but can only produce basic units, or expand in order to keep their economy running, leaving their main base less defended.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Turtling rarely happens.

You cannot win a mission where you have to destroy the enemies' base by turtling.

As I've said earlier turtling is only bound to happen in 3 instances:

a) A mission where you have to survive for x minutes (like twilight of the gods for example)

b) A mission where lots of reinforcements arrive after some time has lapsed

c) A mission where you can attack your enemies from afar using "superweapon" spells

What I've seen people do is turtle in order to max out their upgrades, but that lasts for a very short time.

If you want to absolutely prevent turtling (at least in a campaign type mission) set up a trigger which basically bars the enemies furthest from the player from attacking the player for the first 10 or so minutes, after which they will attack him head on, in doing so the player will have to face both the enemies closest to him as well as waves of enemies further away at a particular time, if he turtles it will make things only harder for him.

Level 9
It's common sense; you can't win a game where your goal is to destroy the enemy's HQ by hiding in your base.

If a n00b mapmaker made a map and forgot to give the enemy AI enough gold and lumber then it's theoretically possible, but not under any other conditions.

Level 12
Hey this is off the current topics, but isn't it possible to make a spell to create a gold mine at a particular location? It could be an item ability with 1 charge.

Level 9
Yes, it's possible, I've used this to give a player a gold mine as a reward for completing a side quest.

However what you mentioned isn't a good idea, not because this wouldn't help the player, but because of how it can be abused by someone creative;

A gold mine is invincible so the player can use this to his advantage in at least 3 ways; place the gold mine in a location which blocks one of the entrances to his base, making it more defensible, place the gold mine at an entrance of an enemy base, preventing enemy forces from coming out, or lastly place the gold mine at a strategic location other than bases creating a choke point or other circumstances advantages for him.

An alternative to your idea that has no real potential for abuse is to create an item that adds extra gold to an already existing gold mine, or just an item that gives a player x amount of gold every time he uses it, it can cost him some mana to use it if you like

Level 28
Oh, I know turtling rarely happens, but an anti-tree spell could be useful for a campaign mission (take story missions where Flame Strike or Force of Nature are explicitly recommended to reveal secrets, or against an entrenched AI as an alternative victory condition) or if a tree-growing spell is also available.

The gold mine creation could be useful, Northrend Bound has one as part of gameplay (where you can only have one at a time).

Level 9
Oh, I know turtling rarely happens, but an anti-tree spell could be useful for a campaign mission (take story missions where Flame Strike or Force of Nature are explicitly recommended to reveal secrets, or against an entrenched AI as an alternative victory condition) or if a tree-growing spell is also available.

This just never crossed my mind.

Level 14
Yes, it's possible, I've used this to give a player a gold mine as a reward for completing a side quest.

However what you mentioned isn't a good idea, not because this wouldn't help the player, but because of how it can be abused by someone creative;

A gold mine is invincible so the player can use this to his advantage in at least 3 ways; place the gold mine in a location which blocks one of the entrances to his base, making it more defensible, place the gold mine at an entrance of an enemy base, preventing enemy forces from coming out, or lastly place the gold mine at a strategic location other than bases creating a choke point or other circumstances advantages for him.

An alternative to your idea that has no real potential for abuse is to create an item that adds extra gold to an already existing gold mine, or just an item that gives a player x amount of gold every time he uses it, it can cost him some mana to use it if you like
You can create a new unit that is killable and the gold mine ability.
heck you can have a gold mine that disappears in itself to mine itself
Also you can win by turtling if you build towers closer and closer to the opponent base and then siege the opponent.(happens in all the "insane ai" SC1 maps)

Last edited:
Level 6
After having a chat with a buddy of mine I thought of a new idea; idk if its workable within the framework of wc3 though: have a cloud or a similar object design ated with the gold mine ability, and create an airship or balloon or something that is able to use it like a goldmine but have it fly to the cloud and then make a return trip to the town hall, and have it bring like 30 gold per trip, I think this will prevent the player from running out if gold, especially if the cloud contains a very big amount. Make the player believe that the airship is harvesting some sort of energy into gold.. @noob is this idea possible in wc3 ?

Level 14
After having a chat with a buddy of mine I thought of a new idea; idk if its workable within the framework of wc3 though: have a cloud or a similar object design ated with the gold mine ability, and create an airship or balloon or something that is able to use it like a goldmine but have it fly to the cloud and then make a return trip to the town hall, and have it bring like 30 gold per trip, I think this will prevent the player from running out if gold, especially if the cloud contains a very big amount. Make the player believe that the airship is harvesting some sort of energy into gold.. @noob is this idea possible in wc3 ?
Yes: at worst you have to recreate a gold mine system with triggers.

Level 39
convincing explanation for how clouds can be mined for gold
People on Bespin (Cloud City) in the Star Wars universe mine their atmosphere for a valuable gas everyone needs because it's what blasters use to fire. I think it's less that the clouds need to 'give' gold and more that they provide a resource that your town hall can sell for gold, hence why it needs to return to you to get the gold in the first place. Thematically maybe something that can be sold to your citizens, like CNG. Obviously nobody in medieval times had CNG but something like that.

Level 9
Ok regarding the cloud thing; its workable but the unit that is chosen to be the goldmine has to be something else other than a cloud. It wont work if the gold mine unit's model is a buff, which is what cloud is. So you would have to get some flying unit, decrease it in size, have lots of units with the cloud model around it to make it LOOK LIKE the airship is flying into the cloud then return gold to the town hall building.

This is a decent idea actually, considering it cannot be abused if you set a build limit on the airship, have it deliver like 100 - 200 gold per trip and have the flying unit designated as a mine a good distance from the town hall (have either water or cliffs stand between the closest point where the creation of a town hall is possible and the designated mine unit ).

The airship unit will need to have the gather ability, but no triggers are needed in this instance.

Level 39
So you would have to get some flying unit, decrease it in size, have lots of units with the cloud model around it to make it LOOK LIKE the airship is flying into the cloud then return gold to the town hall building.
How about giving the cloud a modified Locust Swarm with near-infinite duration and targets set to none so the drones just mill about without attacking anything? Give the drones the appropriate cloud model and it might look like a series of smaller clouds flying around near the central cloud. You'd have to order each mine to cast locust once on map init.

Level 9
How about giving the cloud a modified Locust Swarm with near-infinite duration and targets set to none so the drones just mill about without attacking anything? Give the drones the appropriate cloud model and it might look like a series of smaller clouds flying around near the central cloud. You'd have to order each mine to cast locust once on map init.

Thats a nice idea, not sure if you can do that with the locus ability though.

Maybe have the gold mine ability have an in-game effect using the cloud model?

Gold mine ability is basically an ability that allows a unit to have an x amount of gold and for worker units to retrieve that gold from it, what I meant was that you cannot have anything thats a buff as a model for a gold mine, it just doesn't work; units cannot "enter" it.

Level 9
Looks good.

You could give the unit with the gold mine ability locust and have it recast it every minute or so, modifying the cooldown of locust if necessary.

Level 9
It needs to either be a flying unit or a water unit that no land based worker unit can reach, if it's a water unit the airship will look weird going into it, so a flying unit will likely be the best option.

If there is another unit you would prefer over a cloud do tell, because the only other thing I can think of is a flying structure..., offcourse the gold mine unit could be an airship or something of that nature, but it would look weird when the airship goes into it to gather gold, just my thoughts

Level 12
You're right, what about a some form of flying glowing orb like this?

upload_2019-4-9_3-14-59.png

Level 9
will it make sense story and theme wise?

Why do you have a giant crystal floating and why can you harvest it ?

Last edited:
Level 14
Why not make something simple and have a flying lump of gold?
It is flying because it is the house of a rich noble who paid for it to be enchanted because that noble valued its safety.
He did not think of a way to get out of the house and then died of starvation in it because this noble was absent minded.

Level 12
Why not make something simple and have a flying lump of gold?
It is flying because it is the house of a rich noble who paid for it to be enchanted because that noble valued its safety.
He did not think of a way to get out of the house and then died of starvation in it because this noble was absent minded.

thats too cheesy

Level 9
More hp ( I think they had ~750 each) plus I gave them a modified critical strike ability which did 2x damage to dragons 100% of the time. Basically I gave the dragons a suicidal classification and made the ability only able to target units that are flying and suicidal, so since peircing does 2x to light armor, and this ability increases the damage by 2x, this set up increased the rifleman's damage against dragons fourfold, makes them much more effective, also I believe I increased their range, but I can't recall by how much

Level 9
It's not what I recommend, rather what looks appropriate in-game, think about you: you're gonna have an airship disappear into something and then re-appear again, with clouds this makes sense, with other objects it doesn't

Level 9
You could try, maybe get some sort of a mountain or something. idk I never created anything like this before and I've worked with tons of things in WC3

Level 12
So do you have any intention of finishing your campaign? I mean some of the things you mentioned sound awesome, I would love to be able to play it one day

Level 9
Maybe someday, I don't have that much free time at the moment. . . plus there are other complications (lost maps, incompatible versions, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.