• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ahoy goblin lovers! Goblin Interface in progress! wanna help? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
He obiously made more than 20%. I'd say more like 70%, because he took a bunch of CnP'd stuff and turned it into an artistic masterpiece, basically.
Oh, by the way, when I say 'a bunch of CnP'd stuff' I refer to a bad thing.

Why thank you, insulting me over and over. Well, when I say a "douche" I refer to you. It's a bad thing, because you obviously don't know that.
Should I repeat saying this over and over again? Does it make you feel better? I assume so. But hey, life is a wonderful thing, what happened to yours?

Now stop this nonsense. You're not getting anything by insulting me just because I don't agree with you.

Level 4
I'm not targeting everyone but seriously, what's with the bashing in here? Russian did well agree to help and has, why the hell are we striking down Mini for not being an ARTISTÉ like some of you may profess to be? Just because someone puts pieces of textures from other things together to get a functional UI for their map, we're blowing fumes over this thread because someone might not have the technical skills to make those textures themself, but does want to have a custom UI?

So there's a lot of CnP and you don't like it, boohoo. Do you really have to waste his and your time bashing him in his own thread for it and accepting Russian's touch up of his compilation? I'm sure Mini is grateful for the help, but not the snobbery coming from some of you. I also wholely agree with Mini that the generator has, to a comical point, come to look like cheese, which can be corrected.

This is supposed to be creative discussion and criticism I would think, not prejudiced hate mongering, whether that's an extreme classification or not. Both mini and russian have put quite a bit of work together into making this UI, and I think it's coming along nicely. Alot of contrast from Russian's edit though, but I can see it being the method to get the pieces to meld in together.

Level 26
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 26
As I said in a VM; Do you actually have CRAZYRUSSIAN's permission to upload it to this website?

Why? As he stated, he did final touches. Suit yourself, your flaming came to bite you in the ass, so I'm not really sure why you're complaining.

{EDIT}
Why? As he stated, he did final touches. Suit yourself, your flaming came to bite you in the ass, so I'm not really sure why you're complaining.

Hmm, I might have to add the resource again. I mean the download rate is fine and all, but you hiveworkers only see the resource section. The forum is a world most of you wouldn't dare to explore.

Eh, there was no offense in that comment whatsoever. :S

He has a point here, as CR became your PARTNER realizing this project, it's just the way copyrights and stuff work (avoiding copyright issues on this particular issue is so much easier than, f.ex. on YouTube...). Just get his permission aswell and everything's perfect to prevent further discussion about this.

By the way, why the HELL was it removed from Hive? Just because of some stupid comments of users who can't live with the fact that many people would like to use this UI? >_>

Level 4
Blackdeath echos exactly my thoughts on this.

So Deolrin. Yes, CR is a co-creator of the UI- but he offered to help MiniMage, and there should really be no reason for him to oppose the release of the UI, or have ownership rights other than a substantial credit for editing, otherwise he could have just not contributed.

If he wanted to persue it to the extremity you're presenting, he could come out and inform us, even though he could've informed conditions originally- from which point minimage can get someone else to edit it.

Stop making such a big deal out of something insubstantial. Digital artists may have a big storm over copyright, but as a usable resource that was put together by MiniMage and voluntarily edited by CR, I'm not seeing what your concern is. Contact CR if it's so important, and get his opinion- i'd love to hear it.

Level 26
Blackdeath echos exactly my thoughts on this.

So Deolrin. Yes, CR is a co-creator of the UI- but he offered to help MiniMage, and there should really be no reason for him to oppose the release of the UI, or have ownership rights other than a substantial credit for editing, otherwise he could have just not contributed.

If he wanted to persue it to the extremity you're presenting, he could come out and inform us, even though he could've informed conditions originally- from which point minimage can get someone else to edit it.

Stop making such a big deal out of something insubstantial. Digital artists may have a big storm over copyright, but as a usable resource that was put together by MiniMage and voluntarily edited by CR, I'm not seeing what your concern is. Contact CR if it's so important, and get his opinion- i'd love to hear it.

Well, after uploading it elsewhere, I realized that ragequiting might not have been the best way to go. I reuploaded in an attempt to get the resource out there again.
I was given a poor excuse about my site may break down and cause the link to be a broken link. My server hosting my site is better than this one, are they still annoyed about how the other one ended?

If that site crashes, I still have backups to use while the site is getting up again. So, to make a long story short, nothing should prevent its re-release.
As for what you said, SuperElement, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Actually, I suggested that idea to him, that multiple people edit it, I didn't get any angry reactions from Russian.

Lolz. Im here to clear some misunderstandings.

All I did is to take the image, change size from 100pxls to 300 resolution. And when over the whole thing cleaning it up. Using existing colors and shadows painting on top with brush-strokes to make it look NOT BLURRY. Changed the generator to cheese, and painted a inventory cover.
In the end sharpened, warmed up the colors, and increased the contrast a bit.

Took about 1 full day, as appose to 3-4 days of painting it from scratch.
I think I have done 20% of entire UI work, if that.

Now about the credits...
All you guys should know this by now, I dont care about credits. Because it is not my personal art work and not for my self, it is blizzard's style of work and its done for you!

If I will be given credit, I thank for that, if not then it makes no difference.
I do not suffer nor benefit from my wc3 art being used with or without my permission.

My personal art on my site and projects are the art I care about
For example: a trading card game 140 cards done.
http://cghub.com/images/view/115489/
http://rushn.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=72#/d26rtd9

The only way I benefit from my wc3 art is if as many people will use it and find helpful as possible. I feels good to aid.

Thats it.

---
MiniMage - sorry that it took me 3-4 weeks to finish a day of work, but you bothered me none stop and got the work done, I would do same thing. And always give full credit to all just of a principal sake.
Deolrin - you have my thanks for your concern. Yet MiniMage have done lots of preliminary work and everything I told him to do to make part of my job easier. So his claims for "doing more work" are not without grounds.

Any concerns I hope will be resolved soon and people'll rock the Goblin UI!

- Anton KM

Last edited:
Level 26
Greetings, people.I heard complaints about the food, so I removed it in this version. I also moved the "Temple of Boom" sign. What do you think, people?

attachment.php

Attachments

• GoblinUIFoodGone.png
    GoblinUIFoodGone.png
    629.4 KB · Views: 218
Level 26
Nice, but you should ask CR to fix it up a bit. The temple of boom sign doesn't mix very well with the machinery behind it(to be honest, it could be better if you removed it alltogether), and the cheese generator is still there.

I'm pretty sure that russian is busy as all hell. I thought moving the sign there was a nice fix. :/
As for the cheese generator, I'm not sure I can fix that one without help. :O

No, just no. Right above the "Inventory" line is definitely not a good place for this shield.
Hm, as Deolrin suggested, try removing it completely. Takes away that problem. xP

Cheese: Already clear, has to go.

Suggestion: What about an inductor above the inventory slots, or something like lightning rods with electric surges between them? Right now it looks like a cooking plate (still connecting that image to McDonald's... :p)

EDIT: Something I just found irritating.
1st: The status meter doesn't connect to the right side of the Time Indicator.
2nd: The status meter itself isn't at the same level of height.
Both encircles in red, the green line shows the height difference.

64515305.png

Last edited:
Level 26
EDIT: Something I just found irritating.
1st: The status meter doesn't connect to the right side of the Time Indicator.
2nd: The status meter itself isn't at the same level of height.
Both encircles in red, the green line shows the height difference.

64515305.png

1. Well, yeah, gonna change that soon.
2. What about it? I intended it to be like that, because it looks better. XD

Level 49
I'm pretty sure that russian is busy as all hell. I thought moving the sign there was a nice fix. :/
As for the cheese generator, I'm not sure I can fix that one without help. :O

CR usually takes a one-two week break from WC3 modding. He's a professional artist and has a lot to do. If I understood correctly, you just gotta leave a request at his profile and he'll get to it as soon as he becomes available again(which usually takes 1-2 weeks). An example of this is those latest three icons someone else requested from him.
Yeah, basically he just does everyone's requests.

Also, please use
tags.

Why didn't you say this before I worked my ass of trying to move it? Picture below. XD
attachment.php

Better/Worse? I have to say that I agree with you about the cheese though. :/

It doesn't look that good, to be honest(the sign). I seriously suggest you to simply get rid of it. Also, the plank border where the temple of boom sign used to be is not complete.

Level 26
CR usually takes a one-two week break from WC3 modding. He's a professional artist and has a lot to do. If I understood correctly, you just gotta leave a request at his profile and he'll get to it as soon as he becomes available again(which usually takes 1-2 weeks). An example of this is those latest three icons someone else requested from him.
Yeah, basically he just does everyone's requests.

Also, please use
tags.

It doesn't look that good, to be honest(the sign). I seriously suggest you to simply get rid of it. Also, the plank border where the temple of boom sign used to be is not complete.

The plank border was added simply so that the bomb wouldn't have to be levitating.

I liked the cheese and the food more :\, would you mind sending me an version with the food, just if I need it someday :p

I haven't updated the UI yet and to be quite honest, I personally Like the one with the sign moved slightly to the right and with the food. But I don't like the cheese generator.

Level 26
I have no time guys for fixes.

And quit hating on the CHEESE, I love cheese. Its a cheese generator. never heard of potato batteries?! this is a cheese battery!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=dZ3DTe7JIZP0swPNpMmSAQ&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAA

I'm pretty sure that cheese doesn't have quite as much electricity as a potato. But hey, what do I know. I don't like it as it don't feel very goblin-ish.

Did a edit. Might be a while before I start poking around with the UI since I am going to be busy quite soon. I opened up wow viewer and snapped a few screenshots and squished them into place on the UI.

attachment.php

If I indeed work more with this idea, I'll prob just shove random barrel shaped gizmo to fill a little void to the left of the sign. Technically it's still food, but it's advertisment for food.. and it's a can of Soda. :D
The one who has to do the final fixes appears to be someone else than russian, because he didn't want to. ^^

Attachments

• GoblinNoFood,TempleOfBoomSignMoved3.png
    GoblinNoFood,TempleOfBoomSignMoved3.png
    636.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Level 49
Well, it would look awesome, but:
1) The tubes and machinery don't fit the rest of the UI's color scheme, and pretty much only CR can fix that, and since he's unwilling to, well... Yeah.
2) The plank on which the bomb is lying on cuts the gizmo thing at the bottom. Overall it would be best if you removed both the plank and the bomb.

Level 26
Just make sure the shadows on tubes are as dark as the shadows everywhere else and you'll be good. In phtoshop quick fix is - increase contrast.

Just thinking of electric potato and PORTA2, aw it is fun.

Hm, wasn't sure how to do it so I checked out a bunch of photoshop tutorials and produced this. It still needs some more work, but hey, it's my first try with photoshop. Enjoy. Will edit this shortly and try and fix some minor errors. Any critiques and ideas would be appreciated.

attachment.php

Attachments

• GoblinNoFood,TempleOfBoomSignMoved6.png
    GoblinNoFood,TempleOfBoomSignMoved6.png
    595.6 KB · Views: 388
Level 26
The ToB-sign is fine up there, but get rid of the purple goblin, he's way too 2dimensional, and purple doesn't go with the rest of the UI at all. Pipes are a lovely addition though.

I have to disagree with that critique.

The trade prince adds charm to the UI, besides, he might as well be a cardboard figure that has been cut out and hammered onto the sign, they do that everywhere in WoW.

Well, one thing I can say for certain is that if the goblin isn't in the sign, the sign will look horrible. So, should I scrap the sign idea alltogether then? :O

Yes, rather implant more pipes, steam or whatever you can find that fits. WoW has a FEW good design choices (like the Lich King and his armor, Sylvanas etc.), but I dislike most of its style. It definitely doesn't fit WC3 (atleast unaltered).

Level 26
Maybe you could put back the generator instead of the goblin.. And put the Temple of boom in the right corner of the generator

I could try making it if you want, just give me the images that are needed.

Well, if you can fix a good generator I'm all for it. I asked russian for help with un-cheesifying the generator. He declined.

Two versions that you may tinker with.

Here is a version displaying the UI without the sign and without the cheese.
attachment.php

Here is the version with some more tinkering with the sign, if I choose to go with that one if this doesn't work out.
attachment.php

The picture I used.
goblinbbq.jpg

The picture that is added more as a reference as how the generator was intended to look like.
goblin-barbecue.jpg

Link to a couple sampled pictures used or planned to be used in the UI. It might be usefull.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/x69t33/Untitled.bmp7.9.JJ.8-BMP.jpg

If you really wish to help me artistically, I truly appreciate it. Good luck.

Attachments

• GoblinUI_WithoutSign.png
    GoblinUI_WithoutSign.png
    545.8 KB · Views: 196
  • MinorTinkering.png
    MinorTinkering.png
    638.6 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: Rui
Status
Not open for further replies.