• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Advanced Melee AI

This tool originates from here

Source code now available at: SMUnlimited/AMAI

Latest Release Notes

AMAI is a mod/tool for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne made to improve the computer AI of the game in many possible ways.

AMAI will make it easier to edit the War3 AI, harder to beat and more fun.

The goal is to make a human like opponent or ally that both react on events and tries to insult you by chat taunts while playing in a more human like way.

• Personality Profiles: Each AI opponent has a set profile which modifies how it reacts or plays the game. Some can be real chickens and never dare to attack you while others will rush you down.
  • Dynamic Strategies: Constantly monitors the current situation of the game and always try to pick the best suited strategy to counter the enemy forces.
    • The computers will pick from all strategies depending on what kind of units the enemy has, how long the game has been going and what favorite units the current profile has.
  • Enhanced Micromanagement Control
    • To help keep as many units as possible alive by fleeing by town portal, zeppelin or foot.
    • This includes better use of items and healing items.
    • Makes the enemy force suffer as much as possible by focusing fire on the most vulnerable enemy units first if they are in range.
    • Will buy neutral heroes and units.
    • Can occasionally attempt tower rushes and militia/ancient expansions.
  • Enhanced Team Play
    • Coordinates with allies what it will be attacking or will join allies in attacking a target.
    • Human players have access to the Commander, letting you give commands.
    • Asks for aid if running out resources.
  • Surrenders : Based on profiles some AI's will give up when it detects its losing, while others will fight to the death.
  • Chat Support
    • AMAI will taunt enemy players, and share its build strategy with team players.
    • Includes Support for 10 different languages.
  • Easy to use Strategy and Profile editor.
    • Supports an unlimited amount of your own profiles.
    • Supports an unlimited amount of your own strategies.
    • Auto Building feature for example: a AMAI computer only needs to know that it shall build a hero and 15 footmen. It will automatically build all needed buildings, workers and farms in order to get this as fast as possible.

How to play
AMAI release comes with the standard AI scripts pre-built for you.

It is suggested to create a subfolder in your "maps" folder like C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps\AMAI and copy the maps you intend to use AMAI with there.

You can opt to download a map pack containing a selection with AMAI preinstalled on or you can install onto your own maps.

For Warcraft 1.30 onwards you need to use Casc Storages - Main page to extract a copy of the official maps.

On windows make sure the maps to install onto are not in a protected UAC location.
  • This may mean you have to install to maps in a different directory then copy into your Maps folder afterwards
  • Or run installer as an administrator

AMAI Installer
  • The installer has to be downloaded separately as its much larger compared to the AI package.
  • Unzip the contents of the installer to a folder of your choice.
  • Double-click amai-electron-manager.exe to open the installer.
  • You can install to a single map or a whole directory.
229876-72e655a9dd9f2e63484ded955b08e80c.jpg

Warcraft Requirements and Versions​

There are multiple editions of AMAI available to install based on your warcraft 3 version you run with. You must use the correct abrievation to install the correct scripts.Improvements and fixes to the core AI engine will improve the older scripts as well.

• REFORGED(RFG) : The AI scripts intended for the latest version of warcraft 3 1.36+ (regardless if its reforged or not)
  • TFT : The classic Frozen Throne AI scripts intended for TFT 1.24+ version of warcraft 3. Has some forwards compatability support up to 1.31 including 24 player support although tech tree changes in later versions will not be available to the AI.
  • ROC : The classic Reign of Chaos AI scripts intended for ROC 1.24+ version of warcraft 3. Has some forwards compatability support up to 1.31 including 24 player support although tech tree changes in later versions will not be available to the AI.

• Avoid v1.29 of Warcraft 3 as it breaks various things and prevents AMAI from chatting. This is just an issue with this version and you can downgrade or upgrade.

Command Line Install
  • From a windows commandline or powershell type InstallRFGToMap.bat "C:\mymap.w3m" 1 and press enter to install AMAI to maps
  • If you do not want to have the Commander installed to control team mates or easily change language settings instead run InstallRFGToMap.bat "C:\mymap.w3m" 0
  • Alternatively for complex installs if you have perl installed from a commandline you can type perl InstallToDir.pl REFORGED "C:\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps\AMAI" and press enter to install AMAI to all maps in a directory and subdirectories.
  • You can disable the commander for this install via the perl InstallToDir.pl REFORGED "C:\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps\AMAI" "false"
  • After installing AMAI on your map just start Warcraft 3 and play the map against and/or with computers to make use of AMAI.
Notes
  • Advanced Melee AI is made to be used on 'melee' maps only so please don't try to use it on completly custom maps (e.g towerdefence), it will make no difference on such maps.
  • Custom melee maps need to be set to latest patch data. Open the map in the Warcraft editor, go to Scenario->Map Options-> and change "Game Data Set" to "Melee (Latest Patch)".
  • Lua maps do not appear to work. Open the map in the Warcraft editor, go to Scenario->Map Options-> and change "Script Language" to Jass, then install AMAI to it. If "Script Language" is disabled, please reset the "Trigger Editor" to its initial state.
  • You may need to run as an administrator if you have issues with maps not displaying any teams.

V2.54
The original 10 year old version that supports 1.24 - 1.29 warcraft.
The download for 2.54 is the developer edition intended for developers to use.

For everyday use the player edition is alternatively available to download here

NOTE: The old 2.5.4 zip is now password protected because Google Chrome is flagging it as malicious software. The password is amai. Note some of the dlls are flagged as virus generic false positives in 2020 due to there age, but they are false positives

Keywords:
Artificial Intelligence, AI
Previews
Contents

AMAI 3.3.4 (Binary)

AMAI 3.3.4 Installer (Binary)

AMAI 3.3.3a (Binary)

AMAI 3.3.3a Installer (Binary)

AMAI 3.3.2 (Binary)

AMAI Map Pack 3.3.2 (Binary)

AMAI Map Pack 3.3.1 (Binary)

AMAI 3.3.1a (Binary)

AMAI 2.6.2 (Binary)

AMAI 3.1.1 (Binary)

AMAI 3.2.2 (Binary)

Advanced Melee AI 2.54 (Binary)

Reviews
AMAI is very, very good. Much better than any Blizzard AI. I love it. ==Update - 25/08/12== It has recently come to our attention that some antivirus softwares like Norton detect a virus in this, however, we can assure you that it is a false...
Level 11
I recall this used to mention certain requirements needed to be installed first for it to work. Do these requirements still exist for the latest patch version since they are not mentioned anymore?

Level 4
I had installed this in the past but now nothing seems to work. Using the installer from here Release AMAI Installer 1.0 · SMUnlimited/AMAI, I understand that I need to put the latest AMAI from GitHub - SMUnlimited/AMAI: Advanced Melee Artificial Intelligence Mod For Warcraft 3 in {your-amai-installer}/resources/AMAI. I install it on a folder with maps and it says that the installation has finished, but when I open the game and play any map, absolutely nothing happens and it just uses the default AI

Am I missing something obvious? Or did blizzard mess something up?

Last edited:
Level 4
I had installed this in the past but now nothing seems to work. Using the installer from here Release AMAI Installer 1.0 · SMUnlimited/AMAI, I understand that I need to put the latest AMAI from GitHub - SMUnlimited/AMAI: Advanced Melee Artificial Intelligence Mod For Warcraft 3 in {your-amai-installer}/resources/AMAI. I install it on a folder with maps and it says that the installation has finished, but when I open the game and play any map, absolutely nothing happens and it just uses the default AI

Am I missing something obvious? Or did blizzard mess something up?
I have a tutorial up in the comment section. It is quite simple nowadays

Level 4
It's not working no matter what I do, are you using the last version of AMAI and Warcraft III?
Ye I do. You can tell me what's wrong but BTW I also have a list of maps i can just straight up post here for you to download. Its not really up to date but it has almost every map that you might need

If you're using 1.26a/1.27 wc3 its differennt btw

Level 4
Ye I do. You can tell me what's wrong but BTW I also have a list of maps i can just straight up post here for you to download. Its not really up to date but it has almost every map that you might need

If you're using 1.26a/1.27 wc3 its differennt btw
@Kazakh: Next version of the installer will have a check to ensure the resources are in the right place. Currently if they are missing it doesn't properly warn and just looks like it works.
That's great to hear!

So I must be missing something really obvious. This is exactly what I do:
1. Download the latest version from GitHub - SMUnlimited/AMAI: Advanced Melee Artificial Intelligence Mod For Warcraft 3
2. Download the installer from Release AMAI Installer 1.0 · SMUnlimited/AMAI, AMAIInstaller-win-x64.zip
3. Copy the files inside AMAI-master, paste them to \AMAIInstaller\resources\AMAI, where' there's a install.js file
4. Open the installer, (amai-electron-manager.exe in \AMAIInstaller\) select the folder with maps (all of them melee and original) and install
5. Launch WCIII>single player>custom games>maps folder>select map
6. Nothing happens, it's just the good (bad) old blizzard AI

I've tried other things, like deleting the install.js file, putting the entire AMAI-master folder inside \AMAIInstaller\resources\AMAI instead of just copying the files from its directory, putting the entire folder in \AMAIInstaller\resources\ instead of inside \AMAIInstaller\resources\AMAI... Nothing works and I don't know what to do

Level 7
hmm sounds like that was correct in the first case. Perhaps the map files are protected by UAC? That will block them being modified silently which means copy to a different folder first install there then copy back to war3s documents folder.

3.3.0 is now out so you can try that installer instead so you can be sure there is nothing wrong with your setup.

3.3.0 changelog https://github.com/SMUnlimited/AMAI/releases/tag/3.3.0

Level 4
hmm sounds like that was correct in the first case. Perhaps the map files are protected by UAC? That will block them being modified silently which means copy to a different folder first install there then copy back to war3s documents folder.

3.3.0 is now out so you can try that installer instead so you can be sure there is nothing wrong with your setup.

3.3.0 changelog https://github.com/SMUnlimited/AMAI/releases/tag/3.3.0
I installed it outside of the wc3 documents folder and using the new installer, and it finally worked!

Thanks, and thanks a ton for developing it, it's so much better and more fun than the blizzard AI, which, as far as I know, they didn't even have the decency to update for Reforged.

Last edited:
Level 4
LETS GOOOOOOO WE FINALLY GOT AN UPDATE! I will update my map pack soon and add new maps with it. I hope its ready in <week. It shouldnt take long but I just can't find the time

Level 2
Thanks for this release. I'd like to shoutout to @myjian (aka jzy_chitong), for his outstanding efforts in improving AMAI behind the scenes. Also, thanks to @Strategy Master for keeping up with this amazing project, as well as for approving the usage of AMAI in my own: a backport of the reforged ladder maps to 1.26.

BTW, I decided to time its release together with the newly released AMAI, so here it is: [Melee] - Project Evergreen - Backported Mechanics Because of multiple requests by the testers, some non-ladder maps were included too, adding up to 59 maps, and a 13.5 MB download. AMAI commander not included.

PS. I hope not to step on your toes, @gartoll. I don't intend to pack every competitive map, like you do.

PS2. Probably I should contribute something back. I don't know how the Electron installer works, but I use this patch for the command-line installation, which enables:
  • Installing AMAI into maps in folders even with spaces, such as "Warcraft III".
  • Calling AMAI from any folder, which means that you can put the AMAI folder in your Windows PATH environment variable.
  • Calling AMAI batch scripts from external scripts without dealing with so many pauses. Also fixes a recent regression that causes AMAI to close the console window.
  • Checking program exit code when AMAI compilation files.

Feel free to incorporate it. It's a GIT .diff, but Hive wants me to fake it as .txt file.

Attachments

• patch-updates.txt
    11 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Level 2
Ok I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

First- when starting a custom game, should I be selecting maps as normal? Or should I be able to navigate to the AMAI folder I created and select the maps I added from there?

Steps I'm taking:
1) create the AMAI folder in the maps folder
2) download and extract AMAI installer
3) download cascview
4) run cascview, select "game storage", select wc3 reforged, click into folder "war3.w3mod", click into folder "maps", select folder "frozen throne", click extract, extract those files to the AMAI folder I created within the wc3 maps folder
5) run the "amai-electron-manager" file from the extracted installer folder
6) select "amai install on folder" and select the "frozen throne" folder for install

The installer then runs and appears to be installing the frozen throne maps. However, when I select one of these maps to play in a custom game, the AI behavior is unchanged. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance

Level 4
PS. I hope not to step on your toes, @gartoll. I don't intend to pack every competitive map, like you do.
it's ok, having 1.36 maps in 1.26 is also useful in it's own way. It's not a competition by any means

BTW I'm gonna update the map pool but idk when, prob at early January. Gonna be more stacked as well,i'll try to get some basic maps (eg Springtime). I hope i can add some obsucre ones here and there and go 300 -> 350, while also clearing duplicates (eg Twilight Ruins, Ferocity). Happy to see it being updated, I use these bots often

Last edited:
Level 2
Question- does insane AMAI get double resources like regular insane AI? and if so, is there a way to disable that?

can't close it

It can only be deducted through additional means, but it is more troublesome and not recommended to do so

Level 2
i feel like a fucking idiot, but can someone help me get AMAI to run?
I followed the tutorial
i ran the AMAI manager on a folder outside of "Documents"
when the game starts, i get the language dialogue
but the AI doesnt do anything but mine gold

edit: Fixed it, thanks to Mint Blancmanche!
Map language had to be set to jass instead of lua. i just extracted the maps with casc viewer and lua was set

Last edited:
They removed that? i still haven't done the upgrade
they still talk but there's a longer pause between each message

Just released a small 3.3.1a, only fixes some more issues with 24 player maps when using classic scripts otherwise no other changes. No need to download if you are using the latest war3 client and reforged scripts.
end screen shows this, but there was no problem during the game, the AI played normally.
using latest version.

that thing about the AI cancelling his expansion if you are already building your base reverted? because I was expanding and the allied AI came to build his stuff anyway.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_122523_133147_000.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_122523_133147_000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • WC3ScrnShot_122523_182616_000.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_122523_182616_000.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • WC3ScrnShot_122723_161122_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_122723_161122_000.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • WC3ScrnShot_122723_161456_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_122723_161456_000.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Level 4
Ok so it is kinda unfinished (cannot get AMAI vs Blizz for classic), but here's the map pack. 375 Reforged maps, which includes all 200 classic maps I have for anyone wanting to play <1.28. I have a .txt file with all the changes. Almost 1GB size combined. Link (google drive).

@Strategy Master there is a bug with electron. File installation for AMAI vs Blizz (TFT) does not work, but acts like the option to install to only one map. I tried to install through Perl but I couldnt get it work, it just crashes and shows this error. The error might be a me-only thing though.

Also a guy named Wisdom tried to contact me for help with opening the strategy manager. It should be noted that it differs sometimes and I cannot guarantee that I will help you. It took me a week to figure it out and had to ask for help as well. With Strawberry being updated things can change so I suggest googling a few things before contacting me.

Level 7
@Mint Blancmanche Yeah same messages but just slower to reduce screen spam down the entire left screen.
As for the issues the end screen may be related to AI sharing control with other AIs which is somehow affecting the scores, annoying but minor issue. Is this reforged or are you using older client?
The cancelling expansion i'll investigate. It does work but it may be the various checks are not running often enough.

@gartoll Thanks fixed the installer on master or you can use the no commander option which does correctly let you specify a folder. Or you can replace the scripts in the reforged folder with the TFT scripts and use the install reforged to folder option as another workaround.

Couldn't spot anything specifically wrong with AMAI vs AI (TFT), works fine for me. Did you build it first before install as its not present in the installer by default.

Level 4
Couldn't spot anything specifically wrong with AMAI vs AI (TFT), works fine for me. Did you build it first before install as its not present in the installer by default.
I clicked the MakeVAITFT (or whatever the name is) then did a Perl install the way you always did.

@Mint Blancmanche Yeah same messages but just slower to reduce screen spam down the entire left screen.
As for the issues the end screen may be related to AI sharing control with other AIs which is somehow affecting the scores, annoying but minor issue. Is this reforged or are you using older client?
The cancelling expansion i'll investigate. It does work but it may be the various checks are not running often enough.

@gartoll Thanks fixed the installer on master or you can use the no commander option which does correctly let you specify a folder. Or you can replace the scripts in the reforged folder with the TFT scripts and use the install reforged to folder option as another workaround.

yes, reforged.

Level 7
I clicked the MakeVAITFT (or whatever the name is) then did a Perl install the way you always did.
Ok i've added some better logging of exit codes to the script in master, then we can see if you are getting some odd exit codes resulting in the bad install in the first place.

Just download and replace with the one from here AMAI/InstallToDir.pl at master · SMUnlimited/AMAI

Level 2
Is there any resource for editing these files or just the comments in the code? I would like to be able to edit things but it looks like there are more moving parts than I thought. I'm willing to put in the leg work to make my maps work if I can understand how exactly it all comes together. I for players essentially added all 16 base heroes again to certain races 4 each. Since they are all just copies of the original heroes I thought maybe I could just edit your files and se the directories in asset manager then edit but I'm not so sure that will work looking at all the files it appears to pull data from all sorts of scripts. If i want to add and define 16 custom units which are essentially the base units however i did make small alterations as an ffa player who mostly played vs ai with my kid and not the best at fixing difficult issues i replaced skills like dark ritual on lich for human to make it easier. Mostly looking for all the places i would need to edit code to test. Can I simply edit the files in notepad then put my new version in the resource folder and let it apply it? Kind of looking for all the places to make edits. function PickMeleeHero at the end of the commmon.ai file has some arrays and they seem to work well for training tavern heroes on my maps I assume I have to add all 4 heroes here. It looks like i can define them with the value form the map Via the start of the script though I'm not sure all what that is doing. It looks like they also reference the hero names in Set favorite hero though I'm not sure that's mandatory or not to add entries there. Just winging it I just got the script to do nothing not sure if editing the object reference at the end of that code to 440 from 424 messed it up or just having custom heroes references but not making ability tables etc which I didnt even get too. TLDR im willing to spend some time making my map work but im kind of shooting in the dark and wonder if there is some kind of reference for how all this comes together so i can understand how to edit it correctly. Thanks

Level 4
Is there any resource for editing these files or just the comments in the code? I would like to be able to edit things but it looks like there are more moving parts than I thought. I'm willing to put in the leg work to make my maps work if I can understand how exactly it all comes together. I for players essentially added all 16 base heroes again to certain races 4 each. Since they are all just copies of the original heroes I thought maybe I could just edit your files and se the directories in asset manager then edit but I'm not so sure that will work looking at all the files it appears to pull data from all sorts of scripts. If i want to add and define 16 custom units which are essentially the base units however i did make small alterations as an ffa player who mostly played vs ai with my kid and not the best at fixing difficult issues i replaced skills like dark ritual on lich for human to make it easier. Mostly looking for all the places i would need to edit code to test. Can I simply edit the files in notepad then put my new version in the resource folder and let it apply it? Kind of looking for all the places to make edits. function PickMeleeHero at the end of the commmon.ai file has some arrays and they seem to work well for training tavern heroes on my maps I assume I have to add all 4 heroes here. It looks like i can define them with the value form the map Via the start of the script though I'm not sure all what that is doing. It looks like they also reference the hero names in Set favorite hero though I'm not sure that's mandatory or not to add entries there. Just winging it I just got the script to do nothing not sure if editing the object reference at the end of that code to 440 from 424 messed it up or just having custom heroes references but not making ability tables etc which I didnt even get too. TLDR im willing to spend some time making my map work but im kind of shooting in the dark and wonder if there is some kind of reference for how all this comes together so i can understand how to edit it correctly. Thanks
The code is on github if that helps, the project is open source

Level 2
Ill take a look at github Kinda been winging it all day haven't tested again yet just kind of trying to figure out how it does everything by just reading the text files. I do not even know how to open that strategy manger window i now see in then link in the manual folder. IS that like a fully functional GUI for the script making? The more I delve into this today the less i think it will be simple to have it work but the more interested I'm becoming. Looking at the page makes it seem like icna do it all in excel and not have to edit the core files so thanks for the resource i think thisis just what i needed to get there. One more basic noob question where is the strategy manager? I see something about make sure you got perl as per some instructions but dont see them. Nvm i see the file guess I need s program to open it

Last edited:
Level 4
Ok so it is kinda unfinished (cannot get AMAI vs Blizz for classic), but here's the map pack. 375 Reforged maps, which includes all 200 classic maps I have for anyone wanting to play <1.28. I have a .txt file with all the changes. Almost 1GB size combined. Link (google drive).

@Strategy Master there is a bug with electron. File installation for AMAI vs Blizz (TFT) does not work, but acts like the option to install to only one map. I tried to install through Perl but I couldnt get it work, it just crashes and shows this error. The error might be a me-only thing though.

Also a guy named Wisdom tried to contact me for help with opening the strategy manager. It should be noted that it differs sometimes and I cannot guarantee that I will help you. It took me a week to figure it out and had to ask for help as well. With Strawberry being updated things can change so I suggest googling a few things before contacting me.
Access to the google drive is denied

Level 4
Access to the google drive is denied
Ye I just enabled it, I've already given access to 2 people so if it fails just wait for me to accept (which wont be more than like 7 hours or smthng). i did change perms so try again plz

Also sry for the late response, I did not get the email :(

Level 7
Any way, you could add support for custom races, would be very useful for tons of maps with custom build races.
It already does, been used in various custom maps and an overhaul mod before. Read the old Campaign section in the Manual folder of the git repo or standard release for more information, it does require some work to it.

Last edited:
Level 4
greedy human/orc AI sends worker to get gold on expo mine, even when it's full of creeps lol.
gives up after she loses 4 o 5 workers.

reforged
amai 3.3.2
Image is not loading but if it is on the Upper Kingdom, this is a bug with the map, normal AI does this as well. BTW do you use any mods combined with Reforged graphics? Looks different

Image is not loading but if it is on the Upper Kingdom, this is a bug with the map, normal AI does this as well. BTW do you use any mods combined with Reforged graphics? Looks different
using some models from hive, and I have been making my own little edits.
xp/hp/mp bars, circles and the whole main menu/hud.
the production bar looks better in my opinion with that dark red to red gradient, instead of the flat white bar.
Augusta font, gives the game a whole new look.

Last edited:
Level 2
greedy human/orc AI sends worker to get gold on expo mine, even when it's full of creeps lol.
gives up after she loses 4 o 5 workers.

reforged
amai 3.3.2
This problem occurs when the gold mines on the map are too close together

Blizzard's bug usually returns to normal after sending 1-5 farmers, only found in human and orc

Level 7
AMAI 3.3.3 released with a load of bug fixes, many long standing and always been there.

Level 4
AMAI 3.3.3 released with a load of bug fixes, many long standing and always been there.
Can you install it on a map that has an old version of AMAI? or you need to do a clean install if you want to update it?

Level 2
Hi Strategy Master, thank alot for the awesome work on this AI.
But i got a problem with 3.3.3 . If i go team with a Comp vs my friend + a Comp. We got disconect right after the AMAI chat in very first minute of the game .
Someone got this problem or just me ? I tested with many maps (no any trigger inside)