• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] A Vanilla Ability to Replace Starfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Is there any ability similar to Starfall available that could replace it?

Starfall in Reforged is bugged. You can't change the falling effects for a custom version of the spell without changing them in the original spell. When you do change it, it affects all custom ones.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
No such ability exists.

But Starfall is one of the easiest abilities to trigger yourself. I modified an example found here: [Spell] Starfall via Trigger

I attached another version I made that uses Jass which is better if more than 1 unit can cast the ability. (see Starfall GUI 2)
It's designed to be easily modifiable in GUI, simply edit the Starfall Damage trigger to change the Area of Effect and Damage. Change Starfall_Interval in the Starfall Cast trigger to adjust the Damage Interval.

In this case, multiple Starfalls in the same area will stack and all deal damage. I'm not sure if it works this way in standard Warcraft 3.

Attachments

• Starfall GUI.w3x
    18.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Starfall GUI 2.w3x
    18.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Level 18
@Uncle Thanks for the map example. I used your triggers as a base to make a small system. I needed multiple Starfalls with different intervals, damage, and falling effects.

@Tasyen Well, it has the same issues as Starfall. The falling effects cannot be changed without affecting all custom ones. I was considering Tranquility after taking a look at Uncle's test map. Tranquility and Starfall are both no target abilities. Monsoon, however, is a target point ability with AOE.

Edit: I took the liberty to add a small system to time the damage with the landing of the effect. It irked me when the damage was a second behind the landing of the effect. This system will also help with high damage. In the first version, high damage would kill the target before the effect could take flight.

Note: Adjusting the Damage Interval could affect the timing of the damage. If you adjust the Damage Interval, you might have to change the estimated
Animation time for the effect as well.

Attachments

• Starfall GUI System.w3x
    21.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Test Moonson.w3m
    18.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Starfall GUI System v2.w3x
    24.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
If you use my 2nd map, Starfall GUI 2, you can have any number of different Starfall abilities without changing much of anything. You just need to copy and paste the Starfall Cast, Starfall Damage, and Starfall Finish triggers and adjust them to use your new ability and whatever settings you want.

I attached a new version of the map with a Delayed Damage system. You can see the Archmage is using it for his Starfall ability while the Paladin's version of Starfall is the same as before. The system is pretty simple, it lets you deal damage after a defined amount of time. In this case I delay the damage by 0.70 seconds because that's about when the Starfall effect impacts a unit.

Attachments

• Starfall GUI 2 Delayed Dmg.w3x
    21.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Level 6
If you use my 2nd map, Starfall GUI 2, you can have any number of different Starfall abilities without changing much of anything. You just need to copy and paste the Starfall Cast, Starfall Damage, and Starfall Finish triggers and adjust them to use your new ability and whatever settings you want.

I attached a new version of the map with a Delayed Damage system. You can see the Archmage is using it for his Starfall ability while the Paladin's version of Starfall is the same as before. The system is pretty simple, it lets you deal damage after a defined amount of time. In this case I delay the damage by 0.70 seconds because that's about when the Starfall effect impacts a unit.
This is amazing, thanks so much! Quick question, do you need the custom Starfall Script that's in the triggers for the other triggers/variables to function? Or is that just like a jass version of everything you accomplished in the triggers?

EDIT: Nevermind it was really late when I first asked that, and then I took another look at it and realized my mistake. Please totally disregard the above except for the fact that
YOU. ARE. AWESOME.
for making this for us!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.