• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3DS Max won't export properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So I made my model in 3ds max 2016, I exported it as 3ds and try to convert it to mdx using milkshape since warcraft 3 art tools doesn't work with max 2016, but when i open my model in milkshape it's missing parts of the model, yet I can open the same file in 3ds and everything is there, i even opened it in photoshop as a 3d layer and everything was there, anyone know what's going on?

Level 29
If the file works fine in 3ds Max, and even in another program, Photoshop in this case, then obviously you can know that it was exported correctly.

If Milkshape can't load it properly, then Milkshape can't load 3ds Max files properly, that's all there is to it.
This isn't surprising either - .3ds is about the least portable 3D model format in existence. It's 100% propriety, and I don't think anyone ever bothered to really reverse engineer it (there are some libraries that can load .3ds, but it's always partial support at best).
Indeed, why reverse engineer something like this that keeps changing on an yearly basis, when 3ds Max can export to a huge array of other formats that are actually documented?

You can use NeoDex, like Idaero suggested.

If you really must use Milkshape for some reason, then don't export as .3ds, but rather something else that Milkshape fully supports. Haven't used it in years, so I have no clue what that is.

Level 8
If the file works fine in 3ds Max, and even in another program, Photoshop in this case, then obviously you can know that it was exported correctly.

If Milkshape can't load it properly, then Milkshape can't load 3ds Max files properly, that's all there is to it.
This isn't surprising either - .3ds is about the least portable 3D model format in existence. It's 100% propriety, and I don't think anyone ever bothered to really reverse engineer it (there are some libraries that can load .3ds, but it's always partial support at best).
Indeed, why reverse engineer something like this that keeps changing on an yearly basis, when 3ds Max can export to a huge array of other formats that are actually documented?

You can use NeoDex, like Idaero suggested.

If you really must use Milkshape for some reason, then don't export as .3ds, but rather something else that Milkshape fully supports. Haven't used it in years, so I have no clue what that is.
thank you, i was only using milkshape because i've literally just started modeling today and had no idea how to export something for warcraft 3, thank you both :D

Status
Not open for further replies.