• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Realistic Zombie Survival V1.02

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: BandolXD
「Realistic Zombie Survival V1.01」

By Mr.Pockets00000/Megamax

Gameplay
[tr]
Scenario: So its the end of the world and only a few people have survived. Zombies attack you buy night, and you struggle to recover at day. Can you work with the other survivors and pull through this nightmare as long as possible? Or will you be unable to compromise, and surely perish?

Description: Use any combination of spells, weapons, sentry turrets, and barricades to fend off the endless zombie hordes. Gather supplies and prepare during the day for the fight of your life at night. All players are potential traitors. There can be NO WINNER. This is survive until you die.

Features
[tr]
Many custom models from hive community
custom soundtrack (home grown)
Survival Game with RPG elements
Realistic food/ Hunger system
Three gamemodes for desired game length
ability to play as a zombie when you die

Credits
[tr]
Villager Male Model by Kuhneghetz, Bed by alreadyused, Shotgun by PROXY, Pistol by Kitabatake, Knife by Kitabatake, Pitchboiler by Rondo, TV by Wolverabid, Combat Knife by Kitabatake, Baseball Bat by Kitabatake, Axe by ikillforeyou, Vette by SD_Ryoko, Shovel by Walle, Staff by Kitabatake, Hammer by Pretor, MP5 by Epsilon, Flamethrower by Talon the Mage, Grass Blades Model by eubz, Zombie Villager skin by ana, Sentrygun by Domokun, Door byTranquil, Streetlight by JB_McKnight, In addition to this, I'd like to thank to my real-life friends for supporting me in the development of this project, and for helping me test my map and giving me great suggestions to improve the overall gameplay experience. A special thanks to the game "Project Zomboid" and the television show "The Walking Dead" for all the inspiration anyone could want.

Changelog
[tr]
Version 1.0
-LAUNCH!

Version 1.0a
-EMERGENCY OPTIMIZATION UPDATE - FILESIZE REDUCED FROM 17.99 MB TO A MERE 5.7 MB!

Version 1.1
-fixed a glitch caused when an item breaks where your hero would be removed after entering then exiting a car
-worked with audio levels during the night
-added DISBTN blp files
-added "Short" gamemode
-made nails able to be removed from the stack by clicking upon them, made nails stack when acquired, up to ten stacks
-did the same for batteries, and gun clips
Map Description Generator 「By Vengeancekael」

Keywords:
zombie, zomboid, walking, dead, the, undead, survival, simulation, real, life
Contents

Realistic Zombie Survival V1.02 (Map)

Reviews
17:22, 24th Jul 2013 Orcnet: Radicool's review
Gonna try this one :D Is the unit needs food and water?

Food. I didn't use water because having two separate properties to constantly have to maintain would be a bit on the annoying side in my opinion. As for water, I've been thinking of using it as a mana restoration item in a future update. Its just I've been developing this for a very closed audience for a very long time. Time to have a broad audience with varied background to give feedback.

Also, this map has only ever been tested for LAN play. Its done wonderfully in LAN but lacking a bot I've never been able to test this to a wide audience on BNET.

BTW - THE ULTIMATE PURPOSE OF THIS MAP IS TO FILL THE VOID OF A GOOD ZOMBIE SIMULATOR IN WARCRAFT 3

I'm going to bed. Please post bug reports/problems and I'll take care of them tomorrow. Well wait it is tomorrow. Try 3 in the morning. Anyways, goodnight THW, until tomarrow.

Last edited:
Level 10
Here's mah Feedback ;p
Realistic Zombie Survival
Goods :
  • Realistic open door and close door.
  • Equip and Unequip weapons.
  • Skill points for each level.
  • Realistic food system.
Bads :
  • Yeah opening and closing door is nice but it attacks the door instead of opening it.
  • Zombie is easy to kill using Axe.
  • Car is a bit slow.
  • Cannot be play in Multiplayer.

Suggestions
  • Increase the speed of the car it is a bit slow.
  • Add a wake up skill at the Unit so if the player attacks by the zombie the Unit will able to escape.
  • Instead of using the skill of car maybe just add the car an Knockback so it will not just waste your Gas.
  • Add more rooms at the City.
  • Use realistic Road I found one in Skin section.
Overall : 4/5

Voting For Approval

+Rep !

Fix Your Description

[self=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/map-description-generator-1-2-a-224558/?prev=org%3D1%26search%3DDescription%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20]Map Description Generator ~ Vengeancekael
[/self]

Last edited:
Level 10
Bug Report

Bug Report

Well I think this happens to me Night : 4... After my Axe broked many zombies follow me. I leave my car because I forgot to fuel it. I find another car and use it. I tried to leave the car but my hero and the car disappear. I was not able to find my hero. I don't know where did my hero go. -_-

Bug Report

Level 16
Like previously stated, to play on LAN or on BNET, your map must be 8MB or less. So the next
step is to cut your map down to 8MB which is in fact possible. The answer is compression.

Compression is a method used to usually decrease the quality and file size of a file. All your models
and sounds are what make your map really big. Each file is compressed differently.

•A map optomizer will compress your map for you. This is what you used to cut down your map size
by 3%.

•An MDX Squisher will reduce the file size of a model. You do not select compression ratio. Just whack
the file in, and out it comes.
Link: http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p...achment=800246

•LameXp can compress sound files for you. You can compress your .mp3 sounds to a bitrate of 32Kb/sec.
If you have .wav files, convert and compress with mp3, then rename your file to .wav. Yes this actually
works!
Link: http://lamexp.sourceforge.net/

•BLP LAB can compress the textures for you. For most models, you can compress to 20-30% JPEG quality.
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/blp-lab-v0-5-0-a-137599/

When you compress something, you choose how "much" you want to compress it. Bear in mind, the more you compress it, the worse the quality becomes. Music becomes tinny, pictures become blurry, etc.

Other Suggestions:

Fix all the green icons. All custom icons have a BTN version and a DISBTN version. When you aren't near a shop, looking through the menus or unable to learn an ability, an icon is darkened. This is the DISBTN version. You have ugly green icons on all your custom icons because your missing the DISBTN's.

Work with sound levels a bit. The creepy zombie ambience should be a little quieter. They are currently too loud in so in your face. Make it a background effect. Then your shotgun sounds and other combat sounds are loud and stand out from background ambience.

That breathing sound is pretty cool. The audio quality is crap, but I'm not sure anyone really notices that. Instead of playing the sound randomly, perhaps shorten the duration of it, and play it after somebody uses the "Run" ability, so they are puffed out. You locally play sounds so only the person that used the ability hears it. Just a few short heavy breaths after using "Run". Research local sounds or something.

Yes cars need to be a little faster. You also need to develop a sense of progression in the game. Maybe cars are a high tech feature to the game. So they spawn later and not from the beginning. Also make some stronger weapons not spawn until a couple nights have passed. Maybe only melee weapons for the first night? Make new exciting things appear throughout the game.

The countdown timer takes forever. 5 minutes is a long time to make everybody wait at the start before anything happens. I know you need collect supplies, but I was thinking to myself, is this game ever going to start? I didn't play past the first night, but it must be annoying if you wait 5 minutes each day...Maybe make the map a little smaller, and give people less time? You figure something out.

Is there any ending to the game? Or are you just surviving night after night depending on the mode? Maybe there are 10 nights total or something for the classic mode. Gives people some kind of goal to strive towards. Remember, don't make the game too long and slow. A 2-3 hour game is not fun. Yeah so, don't make it 30 nights...lol. Use a Scoreboard to keep track of which night your up to. Maybe bosses come on the last night? Interesting.

These are just ideas. You don't have to do everything I say, but I'm trying to give you lots of information to help you on your map. Good luck.

Last edited:
Here's mah Feedback ;p
Realistic Zombie Survival
Goods :
  • Realistic open door and close door.
  • Equip and Unequip weapons.
  • Skill points for each level.
  • Realistic food system.
Bads :
  • Yeah opening and closing door is nice but it attacks the door instead of opening it.
  • Zombie is easy to kill using Axe.
  • Car is a bit slow.
  • Cannot be play in Multiplayer.

Suggestions
  • Increase the speed of the car it is a bit slow.
  • Add a wake up skill at the Unit so if the player attacks by the zombie the Unit will able to escape.
  • Instead of using the skill of car maybe just add the car an Knockback so it will not just waste your Gas.
  • Add more rooms at the City.
  • Use realistic Road I found one in Skin section.
Overall : 4/5

Voting For Approval

+Rep !

Fix Your Description

[self=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/map-description-generator-1-2-a-224558/?prev=org%3D1%26search%3DDescription%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20]Map Description Generator ~ Vengeancekael
[/self]

What do you mean it attacks the door? The door is opened and undamaged. Or do you just mean the animation. and btw +rep. I'll get to work on some changes when I get the time, for now I'm going to just work on optimization.

Like previously stated, to play on LAN or on BNET, your map must be 8MB or less. So the next
step is to cut your map down to 8MB which is in fact possible. The answer is compression.

Compression is a method used to usually decrease the quality and file size of a file. All your models
and sounds are what make your map really big. Each file is compressed differently.

•A map optomizer will compress your map for you. This is what you used to cut down your map size
by 3%.

•An MDX Squisher will reduce the file size of a model. You do not select compression ratio. Just whack
the file in, and out it comes.
Link: http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p...achment=800246

•LameXp can compress sound files for you. You can compress your .mp3 sounds to a bitrate of 32Kb/sec.
If you have .wav files, convert and compress with mp3, then rename your file to .wav. Yes this actually
works!
Link: http://lamexp.sourceforge.net/

•BLP LAB can compress the textures for you. For most models, you can compress to 20-30% JPEG quality.
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/blp-lab-v0-5-0-a-137599/

When you compress something, you choose how "much" you want to compress it. Bear in mind, the more you compress it, the worse the quality becomes. Music becomes tinny, pictures become blurry, etc.

Other Suggestions:

Fix all the green icons. All custom icons have a BTN version and a DISBTN version. When you aren't near a shop, looking through the menus or unable to learn an ability, an icon is darkened. This is the DISBTN version. You have ugly green icons on all your custom icons because your missing the DISBTN's.

Work with sound levels a bit. The creepy zombie ambience should be a little quieter. They are currently too loud in so in your face. Make it a background effect. Then your shotgun sounds and other combat sounds are loud and stand out from background ambience.

That breathing sound is pretty cool. The audio quality is crap, but I'm not sure anyone really notices that. Instead of playing the sound randomly, perhaps shorten the duration of it, and play it after somebody uses the "Run" ability, so they are puffed out. You locally play sounds so only the person that used the ability hears it. Just a few short heavy breaths after using "Run". Research local sounds or something.

Yes cars need to be a little faster. You also need to develop a sense of progression in the game. Maybe cars are a high tech feature to the game. So they spawn later and not from the beginning. Also make some stronger weapons not spawn until a couple nights have passed. Maybe only melee weapons for the first night? Make new exciting things appear throughout the game.

The countdown timer takes forever. 5 minutes is a long time to make everybody wait at the start before anything happens. I know you need collect supplies, but I was thinking to myself, is this game ever going to start? I didn't play past the first night, but it must be annoying if you wait 5 minutes each day...Maybe make the map a little smaller, and give people less time? You figure something out.

Is there any ending to the game? Or are you just surviving night after night depending on the mode? Maybe there are 10 nights total or something for the classic mode. Gives people some kind of goal to strive towards. Remember, don't make the game too long and slow. A 2-3 hour game is not fun. Yeah so, don't make it 30 nights...lol. Use a Scoreboard to keep track of which night your up to. Maybe bosses come on the last night? Interesting.

These are just ideas. You don't have to do everything I say, but I'm trying to give you lots of information to help you on your map. Good luck.

Thank you I'm going to try LAMEXP I think my audio IS the problem

EDIT: Finished Optimizing Audio... File Size is down to 6MB already! THATS A THIRD OF THE SIZE! +rep to radicool

Bug Report

Bug Report

Well I think this happens to me Night : 4... After my Axe broked many zombies follow me. I leave my car because I forgot to fuel it. I find another car and use it. I tried to leave the car but my hero and the car disappear. I was not able to find my hero. I don't know where did my hero go. -_-

Bug Report

This is very strange indeed. I just tested it and found that whenever you break any weapon, any weapon at all if you get into a car before equipping another weapon, you will loose your hero when you press leave car. I'm looking for a solution right now and what even caused that glitch in the first place...

EDIT: Found the problem! I made a bad return on one of my triggers. Whenever you break a weapon, your hero is replaced with the unarmed version, and the variable that keeps track of that hero is set back to that unit. You see, I made a bad reference when I said set hero[player number(triggering player)] when it needed to be hero[player number(owner of unit(attacking unit))]. Sometimes I make these mistakes when copying from other triggers, I forget to change one piece of the function, and this mistake is multiplied for every copy. This bug fix will be released with the next update.

Make the ammo/bullets stacks btw, and fix those green icons.

Item Stack System
Green Icon Problem

Sadly enough, I cannot implement the item stack system. It undermines a feature of my map, where if you expire a spell book, youre hero receives an empty spellbook that can be recharged. The ability to split items undermines this, because lets say you have a spellbook with 2 charges left. Now lets say you split it into 2 separate one charge spellbooks. Now you use each of them. Then you get 2 empty spellbooks to recharge! Why is this so bad? You could use this to generate more spellbooks without using more material. Major unacceptable glitch if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, ITS A WONDERFUL SYSTEM. Its just sad that it won't be useful to my map. I do have a basic item stack system implemented for some items, such as if you have a weapon clip that's partly full, and pick up another item clip that's partly full, but not full enough to go over the max number held, they will combine into one.

Last edited:
Level 16
Sadly enough, I cannot implement the item stack system. It undermines a feature of my map, where if you expire a spell book, youre hero receives an empty spellbook that can be recharged. The ability to split items undermines this, because lets say you have a spellbook with 2 charges left. Now lets say you split it into 2 separate one charge spellbooks. Now you use each of them. Then you get 2 empty spellbooks to recharge! Why is this so bad? You could use this to generate more spellbooks without using more material. Major unacceptable glitch if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, ITS A WONDERFUL SYSTEM. Its just sad that it won't be useful to my map. I do have a basic item stack system implemented for some items, such as if you have a weapon clip that's partly full, and pick up another item clip that's partly full, but not full enough to go over the max number held, they will combine into one.

An item stacking system would be ideal for your map. Consider more research into the matter before you call it quits.

Would it not be as simple as "Item not equal to Spellbook"? So that the item stack system does not affect your spellbooks at all? Surely it's a simple fix.