• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(1) Project Y4: A Total Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
That reminds me of something I've been meaning to say. Currently, breakable boxes are indistinct, or nigh-indistinct from doodad boxes(mostly box piles). That's a bit off-putting, because while it's natural to check every box to see if you can break it, sometimes it's a waste of time as you find that the majority of the boxes are doodads. I think there should be some kind of visual distinction, whether it is on the texture or the model. Maybe a red band around the breakable boxes, or a slight variation in the shade of gray.
Hmmm. Maybe the brownish "unarmoured" texture would be a fair indication that a crate is to be broken. Wouldn't want to use blue/red/green because they indicate explosive properties.

Level 23
Hmm, so, I found a key to "Transport Bunker 06", but the door said 05 on it. And once I entered it, my rocket-launching Delta disappeared. :(
Don't worry, it's still outside waiting for you (unless you left it on a patrol route, in which case it will no doubt be dead). There are no limitation mechanisms on companion units so you can park them in secluded spots until you need them.:ogre_hurrhurr:

I can't believe that I got the bunker number wrong and didn't notice, but on the other hand I totally can.:ogre_icwydt:

Level 48
Aaalso, near the Project Firegun computer terminal, I encountered a crate 'protected by a barrier'(aka invulnerable). Is that intentional? :O

EDIT: Also, sometimes there is a reinforced metal door protecting, say, a crate. How do you blow these ones up? I tried using artillery, and it isn't working. Is there any way to open it? It's nothing too exciting, as the crate only holds vehicle batteries, apparently.

EDIT 2: I also sometimes find huge groups of mechs, just sort of chilling together in a place where they probably shouldn't be. While they're fun to one-shot with artillery, I'm assuming that's some kind of pathing bug?

EDIT 3: Just how many keycodes are hidden all over the place? So far I've found one, for the bunker, and I've met at least like 5 keycode terminals for which I don't know they code for. :S

Level 23
Aaalso, near the Project Firegun computer terminal, I encountered a crate 'protected by a barrier'(aka invulnerable). Is that intentional? :O
If it's invulnerable, it's not yet time. I might want to swap this one for a keypad code, though. :ogre_icwydt:

EDIT: Also, sometimes there is a reinforced metal door protecting, say, a crate. How do you blow these ones up? I tried using artillery, and it isn't working. Is there any way to open it? It's nothing too exciting, as the crate only holds vehicle batteries, apparently.
All gates larger than the three-pole ones resist detonation and can only be opened by keypads/the plot etc. I also might have forgotten to give that waste annex crate gate any opening mechanism at all...

EDIT 2: I also sometimes find huge groups of mechs, just sort of chilling together in a place where they probably shouldn't be. While they're fun to one-shot with artillery, I'm assuming that's some kind of pathing bug?
As long as they're not paused it's not really an issue. There are a couple of chokepoints that tend to cause traffic jams that may need looking into. Besides, they're dumb drones, so... call it realism. :ogre_icwydt:

EDIT 3: Just how many keycodes are hidden all over the place? So far I've found one, for the bunker, and I've met at least like 5 keycode terminals for which I don't know they code for. :S
Each of the three Telegraph Router hacks can result in a key code for something special, while others are scattered in computer terminals around the base. Some computer terminals may be a little hidden or appear later on in special areas.

Having said that, there is one (and only one) containment chamber keypad that doesn't have its code revealed anywhere. Luckily, it's not an important one. :ogre_kawaii:

Level 48
I hacked two routers and got two codes, but haven't found any codes in computer terminals. Are they hidden or something? Will they update my "Codes" quest if I find them?

As an example, I have no idea how to open most barrier-protected domes, and the 07 bunker. I haven't been to the smelting area or the under-construction area yet, I think.

Level 23
I hacked two routers and got two codes, but haven't found any codes in computer terminals. Are they hidden or something? Will they update my "Codes" quest if I find them?
They're all pretty obvious. Codes are mostly in e-mails, where people say things like "the code to BLAH is BLEH", where BLEH is the appropriate four-digit code. The datavault should also update with a note of the code once you close the computer (if it doesn't, that is a bug and you'll have to resort to pen 'n' paper until I fix it).

Codes are randomly generated at map init so you can't scam them off other people. :ogre_icwydt:

Level 48
Hmm. I think Alphas(and maybe enemies in general?) should be smarter when they're being bombarded with artillery(in my case, the gas mod). This one Alpha I was fighting just died to a few artillery shots without ever fighting back, and just moving around, back and forth, in the gas. I wasn't TOO far away from him, either.

BTW...
Is, uh, he... Gonna transform? :O

EDIT: !!!

This should definitely unlock a new color spray.

EDIT 2:
A bit more playing, and I noticed something. The buff enemies and allies get when affected by gas looks pretty weird overall, but it's especially bad on small or unconventional units, such as trucks and spiderbots. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I mean the green sphere that I guess you attach to 'head' or 'overhead'. I really suggest you drop it and just have some poisonous fumes come out of the 'chest' or 'head' attachment point.

EDIT 3:
Oh, and shouldn't the Rhombus make a sound when it attacks(with either one of it's attacks), and the health cube when it gets picked up?

Last edited:
Level 23
Hmm. I think Alphas(and maybe enemies in general?) should be smarter when they're being bombarded with artillery(in my case, the gas mod). This one Alpha I was fighting just died to a few artillery shots without ever fighting back, and just moving around, back and forth, in the gas. I wasn't TOO far away from him, either.
There do seem to be some issues with target acquisition in some cases. However, as soon as an Alpha spots you you are dead so I'm not sure I'd be happy with forcing it (and forcing it brings in the question of whether Alphas end up seeing through walls and suchlike; any advantage they gain is going to end up unfair).

BTW...
Is, uh, he... Gonna transform? :O

EDIT: !!!

This should definitely unlock a new color spray.
He uses Red and Blue, both of which are unlocked by killing barrels, so there's nothing left to give. It's just an easer egg.

EDIT 2:
A bit more playing, and I noticed something. The buff enemies and allies get when affected by gas looks pretty weird overall, but it's especially bad on small or unconventional units, such as trucks and spiderbots. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I mean the green sphere that I guess you attach to 'head' or 'overhead'. I really suggest you drop it and just have some poisonous fumes come out of the 'chest' or 'head' attachment point.
The green sphere only occurs only on biosludge attacks and also includes green fumes; gas corrosion has only the green fumes and no sludge. It felt necessary to make the distinction, since biosludge lingers after the attack while gas corrosion stops when you leave the gas behind.

EDIT 3:
Oh, and shouldn't the Rhombus make a sound when it attacks(with either one of it's attacks), and the health cube when it gets picked up?
It uses Phoenix Fire rather than the real attack, but everyone uses the same projectile so the projectile does not have the birth noise (the unit animations do).

And the health cube just slipped through the net.

Level 48
He uses Red and Blue, both of which are unlocked by killing barrels, so there's nothing left to give. It's just an easer egg.

Yes, I meant a mix of these two, if that's possible at all. ^^

The green sphere only occurs only on biosludge attacks and also includes green fumes; gas corrosion has only the green fumes and no sludge. It felt necessary to make the distinction, since biosludge lingers after the attack while gas corrosion stops when you leave the gas behind.

But I'm pretty sure my blades apply that effect, to pretty much everything, which looks weird. Maybe simply a differently colored gas? Maybe a different attachment point? I dunno, the sphere just looks pretty bad, and strange.

Oh, yeah, btw. The temporary shield generator blocks damage from Overdrive, which is a bit weird. External shields shouldn't really protect the AP-AM from internal motor damage. :p

EDIT: So, like. Those G1 guys are really damn tough. :O
Nothing in the game really killed me, at all. Soon as I see those G1 guys, I get like 5 deaths, almost instantly.

Last edited:
Level 23
Oh, yeah, btw. The temporary shield generator blocks damage from Overdrive, which is a bit weird. External shields shouldn't really protect the AP-AM from internal motor damage.
Guh.

EDIT: So, like. Those G1 guys are really damn tough. :O
Nothing in the game really killed me, at all. Soon as I see those G1 guys, I get like 5 deaths, almost instantly.
Maybe you should try changing your tactics? The G1 assault path is wide enough that you can safely avoid their attack waves if you're feeling fragile.

Level 6
Im impressed,the sfx, doodads, everithing was nicely done especially the terrain (minerals ftw lol) the custom sound effects, the smart AI, etc. In my opinion this is the best solo game ive seen on the Hive.
:infl_thumbs_up: Rating 5/5 :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 4
Review :

Good :
*Models Are sooo .. good! :))
*Best Single PLayer Terrain
*Best Modern Singleplayer game :)
*Ideas Good
*Sounds

Bad :

*A little bit of laggy
*Little Fix Of The Terrain
*Little Fix Of The Models/Skins

Add :

*Machine Guns!
*Clickable MedicDroids
*Newer Blades/Saw
*Missiles!

Level 23
Project Y4 may be released but it's not over yet.:ogre_icwydt:

Coming soon in version R01b will be the long-awaited... Automap!

Accessible from the Cargo Hold, this glowing schematic of the facility and its relevant surrounding environs will give you a good indication of where you are in relation to your objectives (and your current reconstruction point) at any time during the game.

Level 23
Wait, how do you think to implement that? 0.o
I do not think -- I do. :ogre_icwydt:

It's all pretty cheap, really. I slather some models across the same blank zone I use for computers, keypads and maze hacks. In a hideous slew of if statements, I examine your location and the status of your objectives and print markers and additional areas (e.g. underground parts) as necessary.

Map locations are calculated from the "real world" coordinates, scaled down and then offset from the map origin.

Then lock the bounds to the map area, start off with the camera centred on the player... Voila!

Level 23
I noticed DayZ is participating in that. As much as I love Project Y4, I don't think it stands much chance against the sheer popularity of DayZ. D:

Voted for it anyway!
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to win. If I even get into the top 100 at all I'll be buying drinks for everyone all through January.

But you can't fault me for trying! :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 23
Since there are only 2 days left to vote for Project Y4 as Mod of the Year, I'm going to bust out some promotional hilarity.:ogre_hurrhurr:

While clearing out the facility after the attack, several teams discovered billboards for an advertising campaign from more than forty years ago. Why these were constructed alongside military units during the attack, nobody can explain.

There will be more images of this ilk throughout the coming days, so keep checking ModDB -- and most important of all, keep voting! :ogre_kawaii:

Level 23
Of course Y4 didn't even get close to the top 100.

But since when did I ever let crushing failure stop me?

As the old Andy Willams song goes, “it’s the most productive time of the year”. Project Y4 might have been on the backburner since its release, and Brownscape: Torment may be revving up in the shadows (it might even have a proper name soon), but three years after Arena Y4 surfed into life in the run up to crimbo, it seems only right that we take the season of joy and love to open up the dialogue about R02 — the long-prophesied content-focused update.

:ogre_icwydt: DETAILS :ogre_datass:

Level 28
I'd really love to see that snowy level\mini-quest\objective

This

and

r02intro_marseille.jpg

Level 23
That's some exciting stuff! I'd really love to see that snowy level\mini-quest\objective, though. It looks sweet.
But as noted, I remain rubbish at snow doodads so it's highly unlikely we'll see Operation: Gala's Trench in R02.

I guess it's not impossible, depending on how long I hang off; I could just do all the aforementioned plans and then sit on them while doing Gala's Trench. I'm all about value and I'd like R02 to be a big, noticeable, satisfying chunk of additional content.
Yes, you'll definitely be seeing him in R02. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 23
You know how I said that the Prox Mod, Projector Kit and Aegis would be coming in R02?

I lied. :ogre_hurrhurr:

They're here in R01d! Merry Christmas! :ogre_haosis:

Yeah, so I got word that the bomb drop crash bug wasn't fixed at all, so I've done one last thing -- if that doesn't kill it, nothing will. And since I'd already implemented the aforementioned items, you get them too.:ogre_icwydt:

Level 23
Today, I spent about eleven hours (solid) making a little deathmatch arena out of Project Y4.

The venture was pretty damn successful. It's not finished, but it's not far off it either.:ogre_datass:

The game is simple: four players get production AP-AMs (slightly different from the prototype used in Project Y4 itself) and have at each other for points and kills and bangbangbang.:ogre_hurrhurr:

Read the harrowing journey as it happened in four parts that were broadcast live throughout the day:

1. Blog 529a: The Day I Started Making An Arena Y4
  2. Blog 529b: The Day I Continued Making An Arena Y4
  3. Blog 529c: The Day I Kept Making An Arena Y4
  4. Blog 529d: The Day I Didn’t Stop Making An Arena Y4
Whoosh, that was hard going... But worth it. :ogre_icwydt:

Status
Not open for further replies.