• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.24b Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
OOP makes is just easier to read your code and to make changes, as OOP avoids duplicated code. It doesn't make you able to make your program in a shorter time or makes your program runs smoother. At least, that is what my professor programming teached me.

Make galaxy OOP, or Vexorian will anyway
A little correction :p.

Not being OOP is not the problem with jass, this is the problem:
JASS:
call TimerStart(t, 2.00, false, justAnotherFunc(paraA, paraB))
because it doesn't work

Level 12
OOP makes is just easier to read your code and to make changes, as OOP avoids duplicated code. It doesn't make you able to make your program in a shorter time or makes your program runs smoother. At least, that is what my professor programming teached me.

A little correction :p.

Not being OOP is not the problem with jass, this is the problem:
JASS:
call TimerStart(t, 2.00, false, justAnotherFunc(paraA, paraB))
because it doesn't work

1. You don't need OOP to avoid duplicated code.
2. You don't need to have fancy looks on your code.
3. That has nothing to do with OOP, it is because JASS is a primitif scripting language.

You know what this is going off-topic, if you still have your ridicilous assumptions about galaxy language, just post them up to this thread

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/starcraft-ii-408/starcraft-ii-galaxy-editor-141177/

and be ready for a massive strike of LoLs...

Yes but can you list great games that are made by Java? None. They all commonly use c++. c++ also has OOP features, but it is not ideal to create a scripting language that is OOP.
Great games ? No, I don't know many games, I know wc3 and few more. Great applications? yes. Mapple 11 (per example) is an advanced math simulator and it's all in java. My point is, OOP is something Galaxy should have. This way it would not fall into some of the problems JASS has.

. It doesn't make you able to make your program in a shorter time
There is a chance I am not understanding the full content of this sentence, but with the experience I have, I know that OOP makes the creation of any programs easier and faster. With OOP (I am assuming Java as example) you spend more time planning the structure of the core and how it will interact, when it comes to code it is a lot faster. This way you can solve problems even before they exist. This is how my university teaches me and I have done many projects using this paradigm (I love OOP xD ).
As for efficiency, I am not sure so I won't comment.

1. You don't need OOP to avoid duplicated code.
What do you think the point of vJAss is? Why do you think Vex created Libraries, modules and structs ? OOP DOES help people reducing duplicated code, thus making it easier to sustain in the future.

EDIT EDIT EDIT
I've seen the movies. To be honest, You can do many those things with the wc3 engine. Sure they will be different, but it's possible. I've seen amazing single player 3D arcade shooting games with wc3 as well... and they were made in GUI (which made me even more impressed....)
I liked the last demo of the movie with the ship flying around and killing protoss airplanes, and I know how I can replicate it... Maybe an idea later if I have time xD
Still, my main opinion is maintained.

Level 12
Great games ? No, I don't know many games, I know wc3 and few more. Great applications? yes. Mapple 11 (per example) is an advanced math simulator and it's all in java. My point is, OOP is something Galaxy should have. This way it would not fall into some of the problems JASS has.

There is a chance I am not understanding the full content of this sentence, but with the experience I have, I know that OOP makes the creation of any programs easier and faster. With OOP (I am assuming Java as example) you spend more time planning the structure of the core and how it will interact, when it comes to code it is a lot faster. This way you can solve problems even before they exist. This is how my university teaches me and I have done many projects using this paradigm (I love OOP xD ).
As for efficiency, I am not sure so I won't comment.

What do you think the point of vJAss is? Why do you think Vex created Libraries, modules and structs ? OOP DOES help people reducing duplicated code, thus making it easier to sustain in the future.

EDIT EDIT EDIT
I've seen the movies. To be honest, You can do many those things with the wc3 engine. Sure they will be different, but it's possible. I've seen amazing single player 3D arcade shooting games with wc3 as well... and they were made in GUI (which made me even more impressed....)
I liked the last demo of the movie with the ship flying around and killing protoss airplanes, and I know how I can replicate it... Maybe an idea later if I have time xD
Still, my main opinion is maintained.

The duplicate code, like I said was caused by the limitations of a primitif or formally low-level programming language, where we cannot reference functions that wasn't previously declared and if I'm not mistaken I believe its due to the fact that the compiler does not preprocess the code, it processes it straight away and turns it into binary. Has nothing to do with OOP.

I love OOP too, but it doesn't make me judge a language based on it. OOP just help programmers on a structural basis, its the most organized way of programming.

Level 12
Quote:
Make galaxy OOP, or Vexorian will anyway
Why him? I understand how his structs work. It just kinda uses a number recycleing system. (They are actually integers.) I'm not gonna go into detail, but I kinda know what it looks like after it comes out in Jass.
My only problem is that I can't make software worth crap.

Galaxy is not finished obviously. Quit spitting on it.

Level 12
Hey scrap what I just said about 8mb only for popular maps.

For some places in the US, they've upgraded to fiber optics. I tried hosting my maps using ghost bots. all of them are above 1mb and the average time it takes for a player to download the map is 4seconds.

Nice huh, lol for 8mb, it would be around 20 seconds then.

Now this is if you've ur internet upgraded to fiber optic.

Level 11
Ever since I downloaded patch 1.24, my editor gets a TON of errors as it's validating triggers. This isn't just on the maps I've created, it happens even on the default startup map. Even if I delete all triggers I still get all kinds of errors, such as Unregistered Native Function, Expected a name, Expected endloop, Expected endif, etc. I get nearly 5000 errors on an empty map, even though the map still saves. However, on my other maps, there's so many errors that it crashes the editor before it can disable all my triggers and save.

Once again, this happens on any map, even an empty one. I have already reinstalled and repatched the game. The editor worked fine when I opened them after I reinstalled and before I repatched, but afterwards I got the same issue.

Last edited:
Level 40
News flash: C2I and I2C work. The codes and integers need only be passed through functions that just return them.

Patch time!
I just handed this bug (and the explanation) to a blizzard rep (written down on a piece of paper) and they said they'd hand it to the wc3 maintenance guys (or whatever) when they get back, so if they didn't already know (which I assume due to the lack of a patch soon after) they do now.

Level 3
Hey everyone, sorry in advance if this is posted in the wrong spot. Couldn't find a place for it so i tried here.

I was wondering if anyone had the link to a free full 1.24b patch download.
The link would really help as I recently started warcraft again and had a very old version when i clicked battle net it tried to do heaps of updates and the 1.24b patch didn't work.

So if anyone has a link to a free full 1.24b patch download it would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance,
KE

PS. I searched blizzard and us.blizzard.com and found a link but when i click it, it takes me away from blizzard.com to download it. So i was wondering if that is the legit free full download to 1.24b, if not any1 got a link?

Level 3
They just link you to a site that hosts there patches, nothing wrong with it.
This is one of the mirrors for the 1.24-1.24b patch(found on us.blizzard.com):
http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/46731

And why would they link you to an illegal site? :p

thank-you for the link but can i ask one question plz?

Is it free to download that patch off of that site?

Thanks for your time and effort,
KE

Status
Not open for further replies.