• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain WIPs SRPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
hey folks,
Been a while. Here are some terrain WIPS from a single player, isometric RPG I've been working on for quite a while now. I think it will be the first Western RPG that has been made for warcraft. All the buildings have been made from only one texture by redshift. No fancy doodads here, all ultra low-poly stuff, buildings are redesigned city buidlings. And yeah all the buildings are enterable.

Once my exams get over (8 papers this year phew!), I will make a thread in the map development section. Comments and criticism welcome as always....
Ciao

Level 11
Also pale red/orange terrain fog pl0x.
I havn't reached the fog applying stage yet, I tend to do that last.
Nice selection of clips btw, 'Far Away' brings some nice memories.

I'd look for a few suggestions in Red Dead Redemption too, it looks really awesome.
I spent my last winter with Red Dead Redemption. Obviously it must be lurking somewhere in my subconscious, but I would like to create something new and not just copy ideas. But it will be interesting to see how I will accomplish that with my limited resources...

Also, I have been trying to make a locomotive for this map, see if you can help me with it.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...6/locomotive-wip-help-req-233185/#post2321353

Looks pretty awesome and fun to play in!

The only thing I recommend is trying to prevent linearity as much as possible. From the second pic it seems like there is not too much room to run around in because of the cliff thing. Of course, this is just an assumption and I'm sure the rest of the rpg won't be that way, but it is something to keep in mind. ;)

Level 11
Opened upon request.
Much Thanks!

Alright, here are 8 screenshots from the older version of the project Redemption Denied (link in sig). These are not current but were taken earlier in the process of testing the maps.

I have been doing some research on terrain styles and new lighting techniques and I have completely changed the look of my project. Moreover, I have changed the camera, from fixed isometric to a dynamic camera which can be revolved and zoomed in and out. So now I am in a position to make even better environments and the old terrain got chucked.

Some of you may feel that what is the point of posting shots of a terrain which will never see the light of day. There is a point I believe. Firstly, every one loved the earlier screenies and I think they will like to have a look at these too. Secondly, if some one ever wants to make a western type map, they can perhaps pick up some ideas from here.

Also, this gives me a chance to show the limitation I was having with the fixed isometric camera. If you will observe screenshot 2 you will see how I had to place transparent walls between rooms to show the character moving about. I was trying to imitate some old games but the result was not nice.

I am in the process of making new terrains, so I will post some shots soon
in a new thread.

This is a WIP of a steam locomotive I was making...

Any updates on the terrain?

I wish I could help :)
Yes you can :)
What skills you've got? PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.