• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RPG; Clash of the Elements: Terrain Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Hello :)

I have created a small village here for an RPG map, and I was hoping that some of you might be able to give me some tips on how to improve it, on what things to change, and what I might want to add. Before you look at it, please know that I am only a novice terrainer.

The village consists of 5 storage houses, multiple village houses, an inn and a tavern, and 3 windmills. Markets are currently 4, but will increase.

The pictures are subject to change. I will add more in the next couple of weeks :)

Thank you very much.

EDIT: The pictures have been moved to here to the link below
because I can't update the old pictures here :p
----- Clash of the Elements (Main w/ Terrain WIPs)-----

Last edited:
Level 14
Try to avoid floating trees (and houses lol@picture7) lowering them a bit after placing them.

About tiles: i think the way you use your stone tile could be improved, it doesnt look very realistic. Stone tiles should preferably been used in steep terrain, and not so much in flat areas. And use at least two different grass tiles for lawn/forest.

Level 20
Try to avoid floating trees (and houses lol@picture7) lowering them a bit after placing them.

About tiles: i think the way you use your stone tile could be improved, it doesnt look very realistic. Stone tiles should preferably been used in steep terrain, and not so much in flat areas. And use at least two different grass tiles for lawn/forest.

Okay... edited the pictures. If by 'stone tile' you mean the pebbles, then it is now replaced with dirt and the cobble path tiles. Also added the Lordaeron Summer grass; used along with the Village thick grass.

Level 23
I'm not an expert in terraining but here are some points I can tell you:

navbits_start.gif
Summer Tree Wall + Sunken Tree wall doesn't looks really good together
navbits_start.gif
In the first picture, the trees in the right are kinda thin, try adding some more trees there..
navbits_start.gif
Dark grass/Thick grass should not be next to dirt..
navbits_start.gif
The dark tiles in the Secondary Sun Well picture doesn't fit well.. try replacing that..
navbits_start.gif
You're overusing columns there.. Which is especially visible in the Mayor's house screenshot.. Try replacing some with walls...
navbits_start.gif
In the marketplace screenshot, the pathway with the group of houses looks very narrow.. too narrow I think
navbits_start.gif
In the Inn screenshot, there's a lot of space there, you can try filling it up with a few doodads...
navbits_start.gif
In the Grain storage 3 screenshot, I can see a group of Sunken ruins canopy tree behing the silo.. try spreading them up..

I think that's all I can say.. but all in all.. they're pretty nice.. :3

Level 20
I'm not an expert in terraining but here are some points I can tell you:

navbits_start.gif
Summer Tree Wall + Sunken Tree wall doesn't looks really good together
navbits_start.gif
In the first picture, the trees in the right are kinda thin, try adding some more trees there..
navbits_start.gif
Dark grass/Thick grass should not be next to dirt..
navbits_start.gif
The dark tiles in the Secondary Sun Well picture doesn't fit well.. try replacing that..
navbits_start.gif
You're overusing columns there.. Which is especially visible in the Mayor's house screenshot.. Try replacing some with walls...
navbits_start.gif
In the marketplace screenshot, the pathway with the group of houses looks very narrow.. too narrow I think
navbits_start.gif
In the Inn screenshot, there's a lot of space there, you can try filling it up with a few doodads...
navbits_start.gif
In the Grain storage 3 screenshot, I can see a group of Sunken ruins canopy tree behing the silo.. try spreading them up..

I think that's all I can say.. but all in all.. they're pretty nice.. :3

Thanks for your thoughts :)... I will implement these immediately (gonna take a while though).

Last edited:
Level 30
Terrain is fine but in some of the screenshot it looks like dirty.... not to offend you by any way but:

-Try to fix the way you put those Fence because it looks dirty, the way you put them. They look like broken...
-Don't spam doodad that much because it might turn bad sometimes.
-As what juno said "Summer Tree Wall + Sunken Tree doesnt fit"
-You can still improve the trees by putting different scaling size of trees in the terrain, don't put trees with same scaling size, make them different in scaling sizes so it can look attractive.

That's all I can say but to be honest, terrain's nice to look at just some improvements and it can be good. Nice job also that you can make nice terrains even withiout some custom doodads! +REP and once again, nice job!

Level 20
Terrain is fine but in some of the screenshot it looks like dirty.... not to offend you by any way but:

-Try to fix the way you put those Fence because it looks dirty, the way you put them. They look like broken...
-Don't spam doodad that much because it might turn bad sometimes.
-As what juno said "Summer Tree Wall + Sunken Tree doesnt fit"
-You can still improve the trees by putting different scaling size of trees in the terrain, don't put trees with same scaling size, make them different in scaling sizes so it can look attractive.

That's all I can say but to be honest, terrain's nice to look at just some improvements and it can be good. Nice job also that you can make nice terrains even withiout some custom doodads! +REP and once again, nice job!

I am currently doing all these things... i'm also adding custom trees, doodads and tilesets.

Thanks for your thoughts... your project really inspired me.

Status
Not open for further replies.