• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Contemporary Urban Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Well, I've decided to post some screenshots of my newest terrain that I'm working on. I was inspired heavily by Brooklyn and Manhattan, both of which are located in New York. I tried to use enough doodads to give it that "urban" feel, but not so many as to greatly increase the file size. These are all W.I.P.s, but I'd like your opinions and critiques as to what I should fix/change/etc. I'm doing these terrains as we speak. I just started them today and they might come slowly, so bear with me.

Edit: Added a few more pictures with updated terrain. I've added more apartment buildings, some cars, a police station, and a town hall.

Edit2: Followed some advice, made the tints darker, added more alleyways, clumped up some buildings, and added more dumpsters (to add to the "dirty" feeling).

Edit3: Also added one of the multiple purchasable and enterable Hideouts.

Edit4: Because I made the tint a little too dark, I made it a little brighter... should be perfect now.

Edit5: Added some more buildings, including a bank, as well as a tiny park and a parking lot.

Edit6: Ok, I uploaded the terrain, unfinished as it is. You may use it as you will, but you MUST credit me and Kofi_Banan if you use my terrain for use in your own map.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 279
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 574
  • untitled3.JPG
    untitled3.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 314
  • untitled4.JPG
    untitled4.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 173
  • untitled5.JPG
    untitled5.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 177
  • untitled6.JPG
    untitled6.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 164
  • untitled7.JPG
    untitled7.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Grand Theft Auto.w3x
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Level 15
It's totally playable. And about it being boring... well, I only know of one apartment building model (the one that I used) that looks good, so... yeah. And Keiji, what's the point of commenting if you "don't like urban terrain in general"?

Level 15
I LIVE in New York. In my immediate area (in Brooklyn), there's no garbage anywhere, and the sidewalk is in relatively one piece.

Level 36
Yet, it would look THAT much more interesting if you had some back allys with garbage, and maybe some sewer hole think with smoke comming out, and all that :p But really the thing that makes it look boring is the lack of doodads, just find some way to add more to it! :p
And sorry for not commenting more than only my opinion before, had like 30 secs to post it before I had to leave :p

Level 15
If you notice in the second two pictures, there's an alleyway between two Apartment buildings which has two trashcans in it, as well as some rough terrain as opposed to pavement or asphalt.

Edit: And I know about the lack of doodads. The problem is that I don't know where to find anymore modern buildings.

Edit2: Actually, I have more modern doodads, but I already have uses for them. They're special buildings which will be "enterable".

Level 34
I doubt you could make those models look good. Ever.

Except maybe the building. Pretty decent looking skin form here.

Level 15
I don't have permission to reskin them, and, if I did, I wouldn't be able to. Besides... I'm going for a low file size. It's going to be a multiplayer map, and when you think about it, 4 MB's isn't much.

Level 15
First it was too clean, now it's too dirty? Well, I think I could lighten it up a bit.

Edit: There. It was set at 75/75/75 (R/G/B), changed it to 125/125/125 (R/G/B).

Edit2: Well, I've decided to try and mix it up a bit. Instead of a regular "urban" theme, I'm going to kick it up a notch- after I'm finished making the regular terrain, I'm going to- wait for it- wreck it. Not delete it, but simply make it look like a nuke hit it [figure of speech].

Edit3: Added a bit more, including a small park, and a bank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.