• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Saga: Wreckage Isle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
So, finally, I have completed that map I've been bitching on about for so long, and I know you all have been looking forewards to this :p Here you will get the final shots, together with the full map so you can have a full 3D spectrum of what have taken me so long to create.

If anyone cares, I've got some slight background story about the map:

It's mostly made to have a 3D presentation of how my human race is in Dawn of Life, how untidily makeshift their villages is, and how they seem to not give a damn about anything in life, they are low-life sailors that only survive because their the best at what they do: Being seamen.

In this map is also the human races "other" faction presented, namely a faction of which I've currently beta named "Followers of the Saga." These humans a much more "civil" and much more evil at that, they build large stone structures and monuments in a very gothic and dark fashion, all in the name of their "God," namely the "Storyteller."

So, that's basically it. Hope you like it, and as always:
- Comments and critique is always welcome :)

Credits go out to:

Red Shift:

- For his bloody great skins and models, most of which has helped me a lot in this terrain.

General Frank (Frankster):

- For being a bloody good friend, doing me some minor modelling editing tweaks.

Born²Modificate:

- For his B2M map which many of the models in the map is taken from.

_oGre_:

- Yet again, for his "Refuge in Ruin" terrain of which I have also borrowed a lot of models.

And last but not by far least, a shoutout to some of my closest user-friends: fladdermasken, Mr.Goblin and M0rbid.

- All of whom has helped me with moral support and pointed advices and judgement.
Most of which I'd like to thank fladder, for his dedicated guidance and pointers,
ta mate; have a napkin.

Attachments

• Saga Final.jpg
    Saga Final.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 602
  • Saga Final 2.jpg
    Saga Final 2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 503
  • Saga Final 3.jpg
    Saga Final 3.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 524
  • Saga Final 4.jpg
    Saga Final 4.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 500
  • Saga Final 5.jpg
    Saga Final 5.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 443
  • Saga Final 6.jpg
    Saga Final 6.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 424
  • Saga Library.jpg
    Saga Library.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 441
  • Saga.w3x
    15.9 MB · Views: 1,874
Last edited:
Level 7
JASS:
library A

globals
    constant real GamePeriod = 0.04
    trigger GameTimer = null
endglobals

function SetCameraZ takes real z returns nothing
        // Thanks to Toadcop for this function.
        set z = GetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ZOFFSET)+z-GetCameraTargetPositionZ()
        call SetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ZOFFSET,z,- 0.01)
        call SetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ZOFFSET,z,0.01)
    endfunction

function GameUpdate takes nothing returns nothing
        call SetCameraZ(2000) 
//replace 2000 with whatever height u want the camera to stay at
endfunction

function SG takes nothing returns nothing
    set GameTimer = CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerRegisterTimerEvent(GameTimer, GamePeriod, true)
    call TriggerAddAction(GameTimer, function GameUpdate)

call DestroyTimer(GetExpiredTimer())
endfunction
endlibrary

JASS:
library S initializer InitTrig uses A
function InitTrig takes nothing returns nothing
    call TimerStart(CreateTimer(), 2, false, function SG)
endfunction
endlibrary

Add these two trigger to fix the in-game terrain height camera issue.

The terrain is nice. The boats are unbelievably well done. And I really like those rocks used in conjunction with the water.

There is no pathing whatsoever so it'd take some work to get the pathing accurate, but the terrain looks pretty good.

Actually just here's the map with the two triggers already in for lazy ppl:
http://www.filesavr.com/D7YIBL

Last edited:
Level 36
Add these two trigger to fix the in-game terrain height camera issue.

The terrain is nice. The boats are unbelievably well done. And I really like those rocks used in conjunction with the water.

There is no pathing whatsoever so it'd take some work to get the pathing accurate, but the terrain looks pretty good.

Actually just here's the map with the two triggers already in for lazy ppl:
http://www.filesavr.com/D7YIBL

Thank you, and thanks to you all so far :)

Though, I never made this map with the intention of it being playable, or at least I never made it with the intention of "making" it playable :p So I will not be doing any pathing or other fancy things to improve the playability of it, it is, as I stated, simply a 3D viewer of a sort to see the entire map in it's full.
- Though, what you people "do" with it yourselves, I couldn't care less to know.

ahhh soo.. it's not playable then? :(

well i have to say that the textures do bother me. in the second picture, you've used those high res plants as well as the normal plants and the fauna just doesn't look quite right. especially when the ground tiles are partially high and low res. Mainly what's wrong with the plants is that the ferns have that dark green colour that fits well with any ashenvale or whatever; the high res ferns or whatever you have there just have an entirely different colour scheme that only fits with high res things imo. they're just so bleached. Others of the high res fauna are better, some of the grasses/plants (i think?) are very nice and fitting.
but it is quite nice overall. i like the general atmosphere

Level 51

well i have to say that the textures do bother me. in the second picture, you've used those high res plants as well as the normal plants and the fauna just doesn't look quite right. especially when the ground tiles are partially high and low res. Mainly what's wrong with the plants is that the ferns have that dark green colour that fits well with any ashenvale or whatever; the high res ferns or whatever you have there just have an entirely different colour scheme that only fits with high res things imo. they're just so bleached. Others of the high res fauna are better, some of the grasses/plants (i think?) are very nice and fitting.

The thing with the fauna isn't seeable at all at night IMO. It bothered me too, at the time I was first looking at it, but if you turn on the ingame view, everything looks fine. Maybe, it also is just my pc, so I don't know ^^

Level 36

I'll admit I can see your point, but I like it as is, so nothing of the sort will be changed. And I'd also have to agree with Proxy, it's not that visible a difference when you have game-mode set on, which is should be throughout the entirety of the "experience" anyways >.>

i just discovered that cubby-hole place with all the scrolls in it. incredibly cool i have to say especially since every scroll is separate!
IMO you should think about making a little cinematic/campaign just for terrain, the campaign would just be a quick kinda thing that's entirely for the views and that (or just a single map, campaigns just give variety if you desire). That way you can really just show that stuff to people, or even make a little game with side areas with this kind of detail in them. anything that's playable in some way just enhances this kind of thing extremely

Level 8
Sorry, i dont read previously replies
The main problem, i think, that models have too different textures (in quality).
I think you may remake some of them, and it will be more beatiful

Btw, it is nicely done

Status
Not open for further replies.