• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft Modelers: A must have!

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

3D Modeling Tools: A must have!

Art Tools

This is the plug in for 3DsMax 5, Warcraft III Art Tools.

This is a MUST have if you plan to make models for Warcraft III.

Download it here.

Warcraft III Viewer

This is a useful tool to export in game skins, or to view the model you have made.

Download it here.

Oinkerwinkles MDL Editing Tools

These are for the less privileged few who can not get their hands on 3DsMax 5. A basic, but effective modeling program.

Download it here.

MDX Pather

This is useful for changing texture paths quickly and easily.

Download it here.

Magos's Model Editor

Very handy tool, with lots of helpful gizmos, also better viewing capabilities than that of the Viewer. Shows particles well too.

Download it here.
Version 1.07

Milkshape

A good modeling program for those less privileged to have access to 3DsMax.

Download it here.

The Vertex Animation Exporter and the IK Animation Exporter

If you know anything about animation in max, these are very useful tools for you.

Download it here.
Download it here.

MDLX Converter

tools_496_1.jpg

This program converts between Warcraft III MDX and MDL
files. Unlike Yobguls' converter, it will not crash
constantly. Also, it will give somewhat niceerror
messages instead of just yelling at you. However,
because it does not used the game DLLs, it can not be
entirely trusted too. If you find a bug, please do tell.

Usage:
- Click "Convert" and choose one or more files to convert.
- Click "Repeat" to do the last batch over again. This
is useful if you had an error in your MDL and just went
back to fix it.
- You can also click and drag files onto the program
from Explorer or open MDL/X files with it. This makes
converting a file as easy as going into the right click
menu in Explorer.

Change log
Bug fix on ParticleEmitter2s
Bug fix for single-dimension Bezier animations.

Handles ParticleEmitters
File dialog remembers the type

Public release

Download mdlxConv.exe here!

Now go out there and start modeling!

Chriz. - Your friendly Animation Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Warshape & Warforger - Good free animation tools! Guide and download here! [Nasrudin]

Warshape
Nasrudin said:
This animation program was made by Oinkerwinkle. Since its development was eventually discontinued, many features are missing\not working, however it's still good enough to make something fully usable by warcraft, like this model...

Find the guide and download here:

Warshape - dowload+guide - Wc3campaigns

Guide by Nasrudin, tool by Oinkerwinkle.

-Chriz.

Pros and cons of some modelling programs

Here I wrote an article to guide a newcomer to chose the best program for his purposes. I sorted them from the weakest to strongest. Notice that for the tools from gmax and below you will need some time to get familiar with it.

Text editor (MDL)
+ theoretically can change every aspect of the model
+ the most reliable way to transfer animations (although tedious)
+ can fix some stuff, where magos fails
- require extensive knowledge of MDL format
- must be very careful to not cause errors
- tedious management with object id, node count, ...
- basically useless in geometry, animations, etc. due to its text format

Use it for: fixing stuff where magos fails, animation transfer

Magos' model editor
+ user friendly
+ good as viewer
+ quite easy adding new nodes, like particles, events, .... which makes it a indispensable tool with some better modelling programs which do not support those nodes (milkshape, gmax, oinkerwinkle)
+ mpq browser inside
- some tasks it cannot perform or perform correctly, like texture animation, bone animations (RDZ: it consumes rotations), sometimes particles are buggy, no setting texture path, often these tasks should be perform in plain MDL
- very limited geometry modifying and no chances to UWV modfying
- basically no animation modifying possible

Use it for: making minor changes to the model, like adding/removing simple nodes and change geoset visibility and other stuff if you cannot add it in other programs. Models modified only with this program should not be accepted in model section.

Oinkerwinkle tools
+ easy to learn
+ no import and export issues
+ wide range of tools allowing to change also UWV, transfer animations, ...
- bad interface
- need to be based on existing models (although there are some primitives included so you can also model from 'scratch')
- very limited animation support

Use it for: editing existing warcraft models, because you will not have problems with importing/exporting the model in/from the program. You can also try with beginning with primitives, but it is quite difficult with oinkerwinkle to do something good and it won't have animations. Actually, use this if you have no desire of custom animations, you can always transfer animation from other models (your model will have your base model's animation). If you are planning only to edit models, use this.

Gmax
+ free 3D professional program
+ good interface
+ it can be useful also for other games
+ it can be used in conjunction with other tools (look tutorials)
- not able to create wc3 particles, events, attachments, ...
- buggy exporter, which often does not export the animations correctly
- not good importer (although it appears that it at least rigs the model correctly)
- rigging (skinning) the model is horrible

Use it for: Creating models with no complex animations or no animations at all, like spaceships and doodads. You can model from scratch or use the importer to edit existing model or with some tricks you can export your geometry to another (animated) models. But do not even try to animate a humanoid model for warcraft! Note that the animations are not even imported correctly. Use this for simple models.

3ds max 6+
It shares many characteristics with gmax (uses the same scripts) when it comes to warcraft with some differences:
+ has more options
- very expensive

Use it for: I think that is not much different than gmax.

Milkshape 3D
+ good interface
+ it can be useful also for other games
+ fairly good exporter
+ animating is much better that in gmax
- not free (however 25$ is not much)
- no decent importer
- pretty simple program (it has however everything you need for making game models)

Use it for: Its usage is somewhat similar to gmax's, but with the difference that trying to animate is no longer a waste of time. As I heard, there are no good importers which do not screw animations. So, basically a model in milkshape should be reanimated from scratch. So a good tool for a scratch modeler.

3ds max 4,5 with art tools
+++ perfect tool for making the models for warcraft!
- very expensive
- hard to get (the newest version is currently 9)

Use it for: everything warcraft modelling related. All importers/exporters work correctly, this is actually the only program which let you edit animations and also you are not forced to make every animation since ProFet's script imports the model correctly (except visibility) and you can leave other animations intact. The only bad side is that the textures have no path when the model is exported so this is to make manually. Anyway, this program beats all of others at everything (war3 ofc), if you manage to get your hands on it. :wink:

Oinkerwinkle tools
- bad interface
It's not a bad interface. It has everything that you would need. I'd call it "simple", not "bad."

Gmax
- rigging (skinning) the model is horrible
It's not horrible. Have you actually tried it? Sure, it has its bad points, but it gets the job done.

Milkshape 3D
- pretty simple program (it has however everything you need for making game models)
I wouldn't call it simple. Sure, it's simpler than 3ds max, but it's more complex than oinkerwinkle's.

Level 2
3ds max 4,5 with art tools
+++ perfect tool for making the models for warcraft!
- very expensive
- hard to get (the newest version is currently 9)

Use it for: everything warcraft modelling related. All importers/exporters work correctly, this is actually the only program which let you edit animations and also you are not forced to make every animation since ProFet's script imports the model correctly (except visibility) and you can leave other animations intact. The only bad side is that the textures have no path when the model is exported so this is to make manually. Anyway, this program beats all of others at everything (war3 ofc), if you manage to get your hands on it. :wink:

Where can I get ProFet's script?

Level 9
I use GMax it's a hassle but very usefull you can animate wc3 models on it but its annoying to export the animations properly still possible but annoying i would go with GMax although ive never used Milkshape i do know 3DS is way better then GMax so (if you can) get it. and model like crazy for the GMaxers who have to use crappy dex exporter.

Level 8
what shaping options?? ive only used 3dsmax once and i didnt get a chance to play with everything so from what ive seen it's similar except for all the added shit that makes it beautiful (and about $2975 more than ms3d)

err dude.
There are things like chamfer, cut, and bevel. They are simply crucial to shaping. In max you work with POLYGONS and in ms3d you work with FACES. Polygons are much easyer to work in it. In ms3d you can only improvise, while in max you can actually make a scratch mesh hell of easily. I have used both, and once you try max, you will never return to milkshape.

Level 4
No. 'Dex takes so much longer, requires you to copy massive amounts of code (for bigger models) and i dont think it exports animations well (or so i've been told).

Level 1
I just got Autodesk 3ds max 9 and I am a complete noob at it lol! Anyone have a good tutorial or tool to help me out?

If you use it on 3ds max 8, for example, you just Ctrl+A to select and and Ctrl+C to copy. Once you paste it you have to trim a bit off the top and bottom but the rest is fine.

But yeah, for animations, dex's script isn't very good at exporting them.

3dsmax users can use the export feuture of dex, no need to copy/paste anything.

the animations are well exported, though you need to apply the Skin correctly.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
yeah, skinning is the nasty thing...such low poly models are pretty hard to skin so they deform correctly; the system blizzard made, with chopped parts that the engine automatically welds, is quite brilliant for this purpose.

Level 6
i guess this post will be removed but if you need 3ds max5, just send a pm and i tell you all ways to get it. (one way to get it is to buy it)

why when ever i try to open any models in gmax dos it not work? i know it cant just open mdx models so u do what exactly?

when ever i open the ''DeX 0.185m'' with Gmax the DeX 0.185m exporter it just errors and says its un open-able it dosent even say why, any help on this? i just want to rescale a simple model that for some reason gets all fucked up if you rescale it with the wc3 model editor, oinkerwinkels site to that tools gone ''this web site is suspended'' so thats not an option, milkshape down load links are all broken (opps! this site no longer exists), idk how to get the blender thing working so im getting kinda irritated now uhg

whats the initial procedure of opening models in gmax, the tutorial linked erlyer to:

''http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/magos.php#model1''

dosent say how to open current models which is super anoying

eny helps appreceiated

Level 1
Do I need to download all of these in order to create models?
Nope, you don't really need to use all of them and i highly suggest you to start editing models before start creating them, so you can get familiar with the work.

I personally* use Mdlvis Magos's Model Editor and Milkshape. I've used 3ds Max, and ofc is a really proffesional tool but let's be honest, warcraft models are not that complex. I really think that if you are going to use 3ds Max you should use it for high quality models, let's call them "WoW alike".

*- I used another tools in the past, and I still have them in my pc but I was away of the "modelling world" for 2 good years, i just recently started again with this because a good friend of mine made this Call to Arms for the "ol times sake" so i decided to come back for some time.

I apologyze for some mistakes but I think you all can understand what I'm trying to say.