• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Starcraft II in stores in late July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Don't you know you can pre-order it?
Oh, also this time I want to get an English version of game so there wouldn't be any probelms unerstanding the interface/unit names while speaking with other Hivers, not like with my Russian WC3 version, I had a lot of problems understanding people while reading tutorials...

Level 27
There is. The translation was very good, actually superb, but I still I should better get English version for my mapmaking to be easier... I mean most of Hivers have English version, right?
The only problem is that in Lithuania games are overpriced and I sometimes go to buy few games to Belarus when I visit my relatives, but they sell only Russian versions there, altrough really cheap!

Level 11
There is. The translation was very good, actually superb, but I still I should better get English version for my mapmaking to be easier... I mean most of Hivers have English version, right?
The only problem is that in Lithuania games are overpriced and I sometimes go to buy few games to Belarus when I visit my relatives, but they sell only Russian versions there, altrough really cheap!

You know that you can dl wc3 from battle-net.com if you have your key? I have german wc3 and downloaded the english version :)

Level 2
Cool but i have something really bad.... my birthday is on 24 July and on 25 July were going on vacation! so i cant take it with me :( but its nice because i thought it would come out in august or something :D

I still don't know if I'm going to buy it... I'm going to be in a dilemma until then, but I'm more inclined towards not buying. High-technology-scientific-fiction... I just don't appreciate it.

Agreed for the fact that sci-fi is not of my taste either. Who cares about the game itself anyway (well many do, but that's not the answer I'm expecting here)? The game is geared mostly to the Editor.

I cant wait til july... You dont understand, Im serious, I NEED IT sooner then that

And you, chill out :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Masiah, there is no point in having a long beta. The beta is purly there to make sure any major problems are delt with and ballence is approximatly correct. As the game is working prety well for the target group, they want to have it out as soon as possible.

Remember that there are going to be 2 expansions. They will have to opotunity to do any additions to the engine with them that the beta is currently lacking. Additionally just cause the game is released does not mean it wont be patched. I expect quite a number of patches by the end of the year.

An example of what betas are for could be seen with the new Halo game. The beta pointed out major service issues with the game to the developers so they could fix them (thus there will be no service issues on relese).

Level 3
Yessss, this will be a grand day and quite possibly a future korean public holiday.... or maybe not. OR MAYBE SO

I so wanna see what they have done with the single player campaign, I reckon it'll blow a lot of minds and inspire a whole wave of brand new custom games...

...and holy crap, I have never even liked the melee side of blizzard games, but for some reason I have really started getting into the beta and almost totally ignored the editor... I mean majority of the time my ass is getting trounced and yet I'm still having fun? niiiiice

Level 11
Cool. But I am worried about the lack of models. I mean in war3 you have all thos creeps, and that allowed you to create anything. This will be way different with the lack of them. Plus in war3 you can make any time oriented map(middle ages, space, anything). SC2 probably won't have that ability.

I mean in war3 you have all thos creeps, and that allowed you to create anything.
The beta does not contain anywhere near all the models of the full game, for example they promised us all the sc1 units, and they're not here yet.

Plus in war3 you can make any time oriented map(middle ages, space, anything). SC2 probably won't have that ability.
Wut? In wc3 you couldn't make a futuristic-looking map without extensive use of custom models...

Level 11
I have played a number of futuristic maps in war3 with no custom models.

And you say they will add all sc1 units too,ery cool, still way less then war3 had...

Level 6
Yeah, that is a good point.. Warcraft 3 had hundreds of models.

Warcraft 3 - 4/5 playable races (naga?), and hundreds of other races (creeps).
Starcraft 2 - 3 playable races? What else? :p

I have played a number of futuristic maps in war3 with no custom models.
I bet they used orc barracks for command bases etc. In sc2 you could theme a game around the medieval style but use zerg models, and it'd be the same kind of thing...

And you say they will add all sc1 units too,ery cool, still way less then war3 had...
That's just one example of the extra content they're planning on adding. None of the campaign data is included in the beta, and there will be 2 more expansions (wc3 gained loads of models with its expansion). Seriously, sc2 will have MORE models and resources available than wc3, not less. You can't judge the full game by the beta.

Element of Water, HailFireer has a point. In Warcraft III you can produce any type of age, you want medieval, you have it, you want fantasy you have it. You want SCI FI, you will use a bunch of energy-looking effects and lightnings (and some default models the engine has that refer to futuristic events). In Starcraft II, you are unable of producing the medieval one without imports (it will look jerky to say at least).

Level 11
I newer played beta, but all I know is that sc1 had no creeps. I really do hope that element of water is right and that there will be more units then in war3. And hopefully they will be different from each other, not very similar.

Level 3
Cool. But I am worried about the lack of models. I mean in war3 you have all thos creeps, and that allowed you to create anything. This will be way different with the lack of them. Plus in war3 you can make any time oriented map(middle ages, space, anything). SC2 probably won't have that ability.

Fair enough bout the time orientation, however I think there will be even more custom models made for SC2 than WC3 because it's detail level (while not huge) is much higher then WC3 which will make it a bit more worthwhile for modellers to consider involvement (also the fact that the game is new so their will be more interest in ppl joining in to the scene), and hopefully with startools it will have better support for such imports.

As far as model quantity goes.... you are forgetting about the SC2 campaign which I'm postive blizzard will have tonnes of extra content for, not to mention this game gets 2 expansions. WOO

Level 3
That's nice. I thought you have already spend all keys. Sadly i lost in the the dual tournament competition :( I played 30games my opponent 1100 :D
17 July is pretty cool because we got holidays at this time :)
I will buy it, i enjoy the blizzard campaings, but not only blizzard most custom campaings are funny too.

(Waiting for new competition)

Status
Not open for further replies.