• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Challenge Section - Q and A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Welcome to the Q and A thread for the Challenge forum!

This special "Questions & Answers" thread is reserved for users to ask about/discuss the policies and rules of the Challenge forum.

The thread will be left open so the community can ask questions and suggest improvements to help develop this forum. Revisions of the rules may be made based upon valid user feedback.

Please post wisely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
Since people have forced admins to close the challenge section in the past...If someone decides to spam in the challenge section we ban him for a day or two or whatever the admin chooses.

Level 32
Since people have forced admins to close the challenge section in the past...If someone decides to spam in the challenge section we ban him for a day or two or whatever the admin chooses.
The section was closed not only due to spam in the threads but also the improper posting of unacceptable threads. That problem has now been resolved: only administrators and moderators may create new threads here.

Users who spam in another's challenge can expect that their posts will be dealt with by moderators according to the established rules.

Level 9
I think it has to be a certian person...
-5 Rep to the loser? Damn that takes all the fun out of it >.<...
In a challenge with more than 2 people will both 2nd and 3rd place get neg rep?
And if so will they get different amounts?

Level 10
I think it has to be a certian person...

-5 rep is kind of harsh I agree.

Another question to. If lots of people still use the challenge section in the wrong way, what will happen?

Level 32
Is it allowed to toss a challenge out for anyone to take, or does it have to be a specific person?
--donut3.5--
The forum is designed for challenges between specific users. However, exceptions may be made if the posted challenge application form is interesting enough to warrant such general challenges. To date only one form has been posted and the challenge itself has yet to pay any dividends.
Personally, I tend to agree. It's my opinion that even in a loosing cause, accepted challenges should be rewarded. We users who watch the evolution and results of challenges can always award reputation to runner(s) up to offset any penalties.

As things stand now, each and every one of the vanquished would suffer the -5 pain.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Well that makes it even more exciting.

I'll need to challenge camel one of these days.

Level 9
Do we have to contact the person(s) that we want to challenge or do the admins/moderators contact them so they are sure that the challenge is authentic?

If it was your way the loser would get -20 rep.

No, if it was my way it would be like I said above.
And Wolverabid said the rules can be changed if need be.

You know that contest between me, iristle, and Dr00d? We did that in the off-topic thing because the challenge section was down. Would that still count as getting the prizes are concerned? Or does that not count?

Level 32
You know that contest between me, iristle, and Dr00d? We did that in the off-topic thing because the challenge section was down. Would that still count as getting the prizes are concerned? Or does that not count?
That was your own "unofficial" contest conducted outside the scope of this forum. Only challenges using the [self="http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36683"]form[/self] and posted in the Admin Contact forum can be eligible for reputation awards.

Level 32
What happens if both the contastants fail to finish the challange. And both quit.

In the rules it says if one person resigns the quitter gets -5 rep and the winner gets nothing.

So if both people quit they both get -5?
"Winners never quit, quitters never win."
Goes a wise old saying. ANY contestant that withdraws from a challenge will pay the price.

~ Rules edited for clarification.

Level 32
*bump*

Many users who are interested in instigating and participating in challenges seem to be afraid of the -5 reputation penalty that has been mandated for vanquished combatants.

Some users have created "challenge threads" in our Off-Topic forum. Those threads will henceforth be closed: that forum is designated for general discussions, NOT for challenges.

However, since everyone seems to have chickened out of participating in this forum due to a potential minor loss of reputation, I now find it necessary to (slightly) qualify the rule:
  • The loser of a challenge will lose the total amount of -5 reputation points (so think twice when accepting a challenge).
  • If any participant resigns from a challenge, he or she will automatically lose -5 reputation points.
    So, there is no turning back once entered.

I have edited that rule:
  • The loser of a challenge may lose the total amount of -5 reputation points (so think twice when accepting a challenge).
Therefore, that small change now makes the reputation penalty optional at the discretion of administrators or moderators. For my own part, I intend not to enforce it unless the looser of the challenge is a SORE LOOSER. Contestants who withdraw from challenges however, will certainly pay the price.

[off-topic] I apologize to my fellow moderators who supported the imposition of the reputation penalty for challenge losses. In my opinion, if we don't allow it to be optionally waived, no one will ever participate in challenges.

Some users have created "challenge threads" in our Off-Topic forum. Those threads will henceforth be closed: that forum is designated for general discussions, NOT for challenges.

Are you talking about that one between me, iristle, and Dr00d? We only did that there because the challenge section was closed at that time...

Level 4
+20 an -5 points. This is not really an good idea to give 20 points to the winner and take 5 from the looser, the challengers could make a pact and chellenge each other and the first time 1.person would make a lamer map than the 2.person so the points would be:

1.person:-5
2.person:20

Next time the 2.person would make a lamer map and than the points would be:

1.person:15
2.person:15

And they could repeat this again and again and...
And at the end they would have:

1.person:150+?
2.person:150+?

Level 32
+20 an -5 points. This is not really an good idea to give 20 points to the winner and take 5 from the looser...
As stated above:
I have edited that rule:
  • The loser of a challenge may lose the total amount of -5 reputation points (so think twice when accepting a challenge).
Therefore, that small change now makes the reputation penalty optional at the discretion of administrators or moderators. For my own part, I intend not to enforce it unless the looser of the challenge is a SORE LOOSER. Contestants who withdraw from challenges however, will certainly pay the price.
The reputation awards and penalties are simply guidelines and may be modifiled or waived entirely by administrators and arena moderators. Also:
As soon as someone with some guts posts a valid challenge request in the Admin Contact forum, we should be able to test the system and get it working to keep people engaged and entertained.

Level 26
+20 an -5 points. This is not really an good idea to give 20 points to the winner and take 5 from the looser, the challengers could make a pact and chellenge each other and the first time 1.person would make a lamer map than the 2.person so the points would be:

1.person:-5
2.person:20

Next time the 2.person would make a lamer map and than the points would be:

1.person:15
2.person:15

And they could repeat this again and again and...
And at the end they would have:

1.person:150+?
2.person:150+?
No moderator could possibly be stupid enough to let that many dummy challenges slide by.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Chickens...

06-02%20chicken%20farm%20IMG_2369%20web.JPG

EDIT: Oh, and by the gods I see someone edited my post! Someone's ass is grass!

Level 32
Only challengers and Challenge Section moderators may post in active challenges. The creation of a new user group provides this perk for users who are (or have been in the past) challenge participants.

~ Thread merged with Challenge Section Q & A.

The JASS tag fault looks like a browser bug: if it's that way on all your computers, bet post it in the bug report forum.

Level 26
Only challengers and Challenge Section moderators may post in active challenges. The creation of a new user group provides this perk for users who are (or have been in the past) challenge participants.

~ Thread merged with Challenge Section Q & A.

The JASS tag fault looks like a browser bug: if it's that way on all your computers, bet post it in the bug report forum.
Ain't a browser problem. I'm using FF too. Perhaps it's a Mac thing.

Level 32
This is not a bug guys, the Challenge Section is configured this way by design:
Some time ago Ralle and I decided to make our challenge arena unique by allowing only moderators and active (or past) challengers to post there.
  • Active challenges belong exclusively to the participating combatants and to other users who have previously proved their mettle by completing a challenge themselves.

• This system is meant to encourage more challenges: those who wish to post in the active challenges must be brave enough to participate!

• To date, the challenge group includes only:
    • Aeroblyctos
    • D@B@R
    • donut3.5
    • Kitabatake
    • Kofi_Banan
    • Mechanical Man
    • PA3OPx2
    • Preskooldude

These users are in their own "elite clique." they can freely post in one another's challenge threads!

• Anyone want to join them? Post a valid challenge that receives moderator approval and become an official Hive Workshop Challenge Gladiator!

Some time ago Ralle and I decided to make our challenge arena unique by allowing only moderators and active (or past) challengers to post there.
  • Active challenges belong exclusively to the participating combatants and to other users who have previously proved their mettle by completing a challenge themselves.

• This system is meant to encourage more challenges: those who wish to post in the active challenges must be brave enough to participate!

• Aeroblyctos
    • D@B@R
    • donut3.5
    • Kitabatake
    • Kofi_Banan
    • Mechanical Man
    • PA3OPx2
    • Preskooldude

These users are in their own "elite clique." they can freely post in one another's challenge threads!

• Anyone want to join them? Post a valid challenge that receives moderator approval and become an official Hive Workshop Challenge Gladiator!
Cool! As soon as im not busy I was planning on challenging sombody anyways.

Level 37

• Aeroblyctos
    • D@B@R
    • donut3.5
    • Kitabatake
    • Kofi_Banan
    • Mechanical Man
    • PA3OPx2
    • Preskooldude

Aha, so that's it. But well, now we don't get any feedback about our campaign and that's really shame. We made the whole challenge to here, so we would get some feedback about our campaigns. Now we don't get any feedback(well just little from admins...). I'm thinking to change to whole challenge to somewhere else or do a other topic about this competition. Especially I need some feedback about it so I can make the campaign best as possible. We also want to have other people opinions about our campaign.

So here what I say: Wolverabid, can you allow to other people post in our challenge? You don't need to allow post on other challenges, just for us. Thank you.

Level 3
Hmmmm....

I need some feedback about it so I can make the campaign best as possible. We also want to have other people opinions about our campaign.

I totally agree with you at this moment...
Or I suggest that the admins make a... something like > Challenge Discussion Forum... Where people that need feedback (like us) can comment with people that are actually testing/Looking at the camp's...
That's a solution maybe...

So here what I say: Wolverabid, can you allow to other people post in our challenge? You don't need to allow post on other challenges, just for us. Thank you.

Or, that's a alternative solution too... :p :pal:

Especially I need some feedback about it so I can make the campaign best as possible. We also want to have other people opinions about our campaign.
I totally agree with you at this moment...
Or I suggest that the admins make a... something like > Challenge Discussion Forum... Where people that need feedback (like us) can comment with people that are actually testing/Looking at the camp's...

Map Development forum is that way ->
(I guess they allow campaigns also as they're basically a bunch of maps)

I'm also going to need a place for feedback as soon as I get my campaign started

Last edited:
Level 37
Kitabatake said:
Nooo... I don't want to make another topic about my campaign. It's just stupid to post same pictures to 2 different places. It's better to have one place where people just post their opinions. It's also stupid if we all four make own topic about our campaigns to map development.

So again, here's my suggestions: Wolverabid, can you allow other people post in our challenge? You don't need to allow post on other challenges, just for us. Thank you.

Level 32
Precisely.

For complex projects (like campaigns) your best bet to receive valid feedback is indeed in the Map Development forum. An ongoing thread there would also be permanent, whereas challenge threads are only temporary.

Yes, it's possible that you might get some useful commentary in the challenge thread, but it's likely that you'd ALSO get awholelotofspamtoo.

At this time, the challenge arena permissions shall remain as-is to encourage more participation. I realize that this will cause some complications until more users are added to the Challenge Gladiator group.

[off-topic] ~ Threads merged.

Level 37
Wolverabid said:
For complex projects (like campaigns) your best bet to receive valid feedback is indeed in the Map Development forum.
Maybe. But it's stupid if we all make own topic about our campaign.

Wolverabid said:
it's likely that you'd ALSO get awholelotofspamtoo.
It's a good thing, at least in my opinion. Then we see how people react to our campaign and we will see how much people are interested.

Wolverabid said:
At this time, the challenge arena permissions shall remain as-is to encourage more participation. I realize that this will cause some complications until more users are added to the Challenge Gladiator group.
I understand that you are trying to lure more people to in challenge thread and trying to make it more active. However, that's just one way. There's another way: people can comment freely to challenges.

Also, because we have special challenge from other(longer time, campaign, etc.). I really like to have some feedback from there. It's just stupid and waste of time to put my pictures and discuss to 2 different place.

If this is going to continue, our thread will die soon. No one will post there and this is not what I wanted. I wanted feedback, discussion, opinions and suggestions. I know that I can have those things making thread to map development but there's so much other discussion, other projects. Also if we all four competitioners do own thread it also lowers the discussion about our campaings.

So again, I know it is not hard, just let people to talk freely in our campaign challenge, you don't need to do it other challenges(unless they want?). Please don't think I'm conceited or whiner, I just tough that in here, we can have free talk in our campaign challenge. I really hope you can do this. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.