• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Making a humanbody from scratch in Milkshape 3D

Level 30

Creating a proper mesh in milkshape3D

Part 1: Creating The mesh

Part 1.1: intro

Download the detailed video here.​

The main idea is that you create a primitive and deform it. I shall try to explain it like General Frank explained the extrude tool to me back when I was a newb: "When you use the extrude tool, The model is a bit like clay, you can pull clay (faces) out of it." The extrude tool can only be used on lanes, not on vertexes. But really, you should play around with it to experience the true power that lies within it for low poly modelling.

Selection tool
  • To select a vertex/face, left click it.
  • To add a vertex/face to your selection, shift + left click
  • To remove a vertex/face from your selection, shift + right click

Part 1.2: Making the mesh

So first I made a torso. This is where it always should start. After the torso was finished, I deleted the half of it. I did this because I can duplicate and mirror it any time so it will look like one piece of model. I also did this so I only have to make one leg and one arm, then duplicate the model, mirror it and now I have 2 legs and 2 arms and the model will be symetrical.

Part 1.3: Finishing the mesh

So after I did mirror the duplicated half, There might be or a gap between the two parts or the parts of the model can be in eachother. I always make sure that the line of inner vertexes (the ones that form the chest) are on the line that divides the model in a left and a right part (y axis). Then I duplicate the model, mirror it, and there will be no gap or other bug. After mirrorring the duplicated part, you should weld the inner vertexes together, like I did. All the vertexes in the centre of the chest should be welded together using the wel to nearest tool under the "vertexes" tab.

After that, you can work a bit on the atomy of the model or just make it look better by tweaking it here and there.

Part one (video tutorial finished) (need to add some screenshots): the making of the human-body mesh (only arms, torso and legs). When I first tried this, my goal was to create a mesh that looks very similar to a blizzard one.
part two (nothing finished): making a head from scratch
part three (nothing finished): creating an UV map and texturing the model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
This tutorial explains how to make a mesh from scratch in milkshape 3D.
Part one (video tutorial finished) (written part yet to be done): the making of the human-body mesh (only arms, torso and legs). When I first tried this, my goal was to create a mesh that looks very similar to a blizzard one.
Video
Download the detailed video here (recommended).
or the low-detailed and very unclear youtube version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want an admin to allow me uploading this file here,
once this is finished, i'll take care of the headers etc.
I'll also make a writen tutorial about this. cheers.
~Devine.

holy shit!
you and me.. omg.. dude.. thats almost exactly how I make my models..

Level 30
oh btw: I tried to copy your model with vertex modifier but the program failed D:
I'm sorry to say that but ... FAIL!!
fail.jpg

Seriously, how the fuck did you manage that?

lol oinkerwinkle screws things up like that ...get milkshape, you cheapskate

Level 4
:D orly?
whell this technique is used a lot. I wish i knew where to find that video TDR made while he was making his chimaera model. He used 3DSMAX but he did it the same way.
I got the style from Whitehorn, but he used 3dsmax as well..

video plox :p
its in wc3campaigns tutorial section, I think human modelling or something..
as of right now the site is dead though, so I can't link you

the technique is called box modeling, it's the most popular, but I prefer jigrael's technique which consists on streching edges.

very nice and interesting.. he was like stretching it piece by piece, it was like a puzzle of some sort..

Level 26
I didn´t cared about proportion because I just wanted to show that your tutorial works....even for me^^

But I think it really needs the written part to give people who don´t know anything about modeling at least some basic knowledge :3

I got the test version of 3ds Max and it is indeed really awesome and easy to understand but I´m way too miserly to buy it :p

You should have read the christmas's banner :D. (It had to do with being a good bucaneer, xD, sry we can't talk of it) Back to topic.

Yeah, 3ds max is a lot easier and better for everything. You can animate in IK and still export those animations with Dex and Art Tools.

About the turial, doesn't Milkshape has something like chamfer, collapse or Weld target? those make shapping and polygon reduction quite easy.

Level 30
You should have read the christmas's banner :D. (It had to do with being a good bucaneer, xD, sry we can't talk of it) Back to topic.

Yeah, 3ds max is a lot easier and better for everything. You can animate in IK and still export those animations with Dex and Art Tools.

About the turial, doesn't Milkshape has something like chamfer, collapse or Weld target? those make shapping and polygon reduction quite easy.
It has "weld" wich i used quite a lot.

Level 26
I could understand it, but maybe because I´m too experienced with modeling already althought I never made a scratch model before.
But the "What is Extruding" part was great.

Oh and I think you should add as a reason for deleting 1 part and adding it later again that the model will be symetrical then.

Level 22
Creating a proper mesh in milkshape3D

Part 1: Creating The mesh
Part 1.1: intro
The main idea is that you create a primitive and deform it. I
shall try to explain it like General Frank explained the
extrude tool to me back when I was a newb: "When you
use the extrude tool, The model is a bit like clay, you can
pull clay (faces) out of it." The extrude tool can only be
used on planes, not on vertexes. But really, you should play
around with it to expierience the true power that lies within
it for low poly modelling.

Selection tool

• To select a vertex/face, left click it.
  • To add a vertex/face to your selection, shift + left click
  • To remove a vertex/face from your selection, shift + right click
Part 1.2: Making the mesh
So first I made a torso. This is where it always should start.
After the torso was finished, I deleted the half of it. I did
this because I can duplicate and mirror it any time so it will
look like one piece of model. I also did this so I only have to
make one leg and one arm, then duplicate the model, mirror
it and now I have 2 legs and 2 arms and the model will be
symetrical.
Part 1.3: Finishing the mesh

So after I did mirror the duplicated half, There might be or a
gap between the two parts or the parts of the model can
be in eachother. I always make sure that the line of inner
vertexes (the ones that form the chest) are on the line that
divides the model in a left and a right part (y axis). Then I
duplicate the model, mirror it, and there will be no gap or
other bug.
After mirrorring the duplicated part, you should weld the
inner vertexes together, like I did. All the vertexes in the
centre of the chest should be welded together using the
wel to nearest tool under the "vertexes" tab.

After that, you can work a bit on the atomy of the model or
just make it look better by tweaking it here and there.[/SIZE]
Video Tutorial
Detailed video download
Download the detailed video here (recommended).
Youtube video

bg.jpg

Part one (video tutorial finished) (need to add some
screenshots): the making of the human-body mesh (only arms, torso and legs). When I first tried this, my goal was to create a mesh that looks very similar to a blizzard one.

-Can't wait for more updates :D