• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making flames in Photoshop

Ok, since many people don't know to make flames, with this simple tut, they'll know!

Things needed:

-A computer (duh)
-Photoshop

With this tutorial, I'll cover only the basics of making a flame, because custom experiments make things fun!

------------

We'll start off by making a black image of your size, but you can always put it on another image you already have. I started with a picture of a candle.

pic1.jpg

------------

Make a new layer and name it Flame, and make a circle on the fuse with color R255 G128 B0 (pure orange) with a soft brush of your size, like this:
pic2.jpg
(You can always use other colors!)

------------

Now, we want to make the main part, the fading effect, to do it, smudge the previously made shape with a 20px soft brush, 25% strength, in the direction you want your flame to go. I got:
pic3.jpg

------------

You can always get diferrent results, they can be good or bad, now, to make the heated part, we shall put some yellow (R255, G255, B0), and some white with a same brush in the center, like this:
pic4.jpg
The dot is the hottest part of the flame, and you MUST add it ALWAYS

------------

Now, smudge like we did last time, but from the white dot, so we can get a nice spread. Be sure to smudge it around the flame too, so it gets a better look. You can get something like this:
pic5.jpg

------------

We shall change Blending mode in Layer window to screen, because we want to make our flame blend within the background like a real flame. Now, we shall make the fuse black, by selecting the background layer and selecting the fuse with Lasso tool, then we shall fill the selection with black.
pic6.jpg

------------

Take the Eraser, and select the Flame layer, and erase the part around the fuse, but gently, because we don't want it to be a hole. Slightly burn the edges of the flame. If you want, decrease the opacity of the flame layer a bit and on the Flame Layer, do a Filter/Blur/Gaussian Blur in range of 1.5px, and fade it under Hard Light (which i forgot to do)

pic7.jpg

------------

And this concludes our tutorial

With your own experiments, you can get the most desirable effect.

This will be all from me

:grin::grin:**UPDATED** and will be even MORE updated!!!:grin::grin:

-l0w_kwaliti

Last edited:
Level 32
The Hive Workshop > Warcraft III Tutorials > » Tutorial Submission « > General Tutorial Submitting Rules and Guidelines - Read Before Posting!
  • All image files must be attached to your post. We don't wish to be dependent on other sites (to avoid situations in which the server that hosts images fails, thus damaging the tutorial).
  • The tutorial must include plenty of content. A tutorial only existing of a few lines is not acceptable.
  • No signature files may be attached to tutorials. Instead, edit your tutorial to include your signature's contents (no attached or linked images are permitted).
  • Thread icons may not be applied to tutorial submissions.
I would like to read a much more detailed description for each step. Obviously the signature has to go and the images must be physically attached to the post. I have already removed the thread icon.

Level 45
It gives off a very bad effect, flame doesn't look like that at all.

And not discussing the base of flame formation would be far more useful since people would need to utilize that knowledge in order to make proper flames.

And smudge and dodge are tools that should be used for advanced users who know how to utilize it well, considering the quality and what is being taught and such I do not think this tutorial is worthy, but with the right teachings and better results it would make a nice tutorial.

Level 8
I personally use the "Wind/Blast" Function about 8 times, then use the "Liquify" Filter to get some real curls to the image. Then as Werewulf suggested, the "Dodge/Smudge" tools help to make it more... flamey. Personally I use Graussian Blur [sp?] to get is smudgy but w/e. Here is a link to a real tutorial for Photoshop if you guys want it.

http://www.tutorialwiz.com/realistic_fire/

This is a flaming text tutorial but it teaches the basics of making flames in any cuciumstance as well.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
You might update the end result as well, cause at it's current status this tutorial wont get approved.
I suggest you take a look at other tutorials on the nets (try Google), and find a better technique for creating fire effects cause this obviously ain't the best way to do it.
But then again, if you manage to improve the outcome tremendously, I might change my mind.