• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Idea for mapping contests

What Genre?

• Escape

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Castle Defence

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Tower Defence

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Try merging a genre with another? Escape/Defence

• Arena

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if anybody would enjoy this, but it hasn't even been brought up yet. Someone needs to tell someone to finish up that farming contest.

However back to the main point.... How about a new mapmaking contest and a mini-mapping one as well a new type called the One Day Mapping Contest?

Just a thought, let me hear your opinions.

Technically 5 ppl are just fine.
I was only suggesting it as well -Kobas- I kind of figured it wouldn't work.

So the suggestion I think would be best is to go with a time limit of 4 weeks(5 weeks if ppl ask for an extention) and a genre Escape/Defence to allow many types of maps to be made for this contest with picking your own theme.

Me too.

A good set of rules are mentioned here.

I don't think the No vJass part is good for the contest for the least.

I will probably join as well.
But if I don't find judge I will reject my entry and become one.

Amusing, If there's no Judges, I might also reject my entry [and to be honest, I might never even make it in time] and join as the judges as well.

The no vJass would make this contest even more unique, I don't see the issue with refusing it. In-game only means stuff that came with the world editor, no new stuff that makes everything much easier. That's the entire point. . . Otherwise why don't we just undo it all, and just make an escape or whatever everybody wants with custom models and whatever...?

If we allow one we should allow the rest... consider it.

The no vJass would make this contest even more unique, I don't see the issue with refusing it. In-game only means stuff that came with the world editor, no new stuff that makes everything much easier. That's the entire point. . . Otherwise why don't we just undo it all, and just make an escape or whatever everybody wants with custom models and whatever...?

If we allow one we should allow the rest... consider it.

Custom Models aren't always necessary for a map, but sadly, for vJass coders who no longer uses Jass nor GUI will gain a big disadvantages to them while GUI and Jass users that have the knowledge have an advantage as they still know how to use GUI or JASS pretty well.

P.S : I don't really like using Plain WE [except when using Hashes].
P.S.S : If we restrict JNGP, expect tons of inefficient entries.

There always is restrictions though...... o.o (I am sure this was the idea's for mapmaking contests.... not them coding contests like zephyr and what not.)

I do see that it is a problem that people have difficulties in change, and aren't as good as others may be. So I think its best to just say no restrictions at all because I don't find it fair letting people vJASS while forcing people dealing with not being able to make the map look nicer because your letting some able to make the code nicer while the others can't do the same with other parts of the map. It is sad though.. I don't see the problem guys, is it terrain? doodad limit? cant deal with the normal triggers or code? If vJASS is allowed then there really is no point. We should just continue with a nice contest after the genre is picked.

Considering vJASS converts to JASS anyways, the only thing different is syntex which you should be using JASS anyways. My opinion. =)

Point is don't change anything since past contests.
It's the map making contest meaning everything under normal map submission and general rules from hive should be allowed.

EDIT: The voting should be over in a week or two, so someone with moderator power needs to do something so we can start the contest... =P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.