• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Challenge #7 - Nature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
First WIP. Yeah, I know a tree is not a place for a footman, but I needed to see if it worked correctly :p

Attachments

• Zephyr Challenge #7, Kercyn.w3x
    37 KB · Views: 100
Level 3
Judgment:
The Warden judges her enemies unworthy of the life given to them by nature and channels the roots of judgment to take that life back, damage every ground, non mechanical enemy unit for (X) per second for (5) seconds. At the end of channeling, 75% of drained life is given to the ancient of judgment which rises to bring the hammer of justice on nature’s enemies. If the channeling is interrupted, the drained life is seeded in nearby corpses raising them as treant warriors (each warrior requires 250 drained HP and a corpse to raise).
Level 1: drains 10 HP per second.
Level 2: drains 20 HP per second.
Level 3: drains 30 HP per second.

I'll post a wip later.

Level 13
I've made a pre-beta version of my spell.
ALOT will (likely) be changed, and more is to come :

Level 13
@Etzer
It looks like just another knockback spell,you should add something unique for it.

I am ALREADY adding some more unique for it.

Etzer lol I have something like that also! Difference is that mine will pulse few times, each time push units away :D

Nah I will change that, I have better idea :D

Hah, well I am changing mine too, so it's no big deal xD

Level 3
Hashtables aren’t that difficult, it turns out that they are just a massive 2D matrix that can store anything.

No feedback on my idea?

I guess I have to post a wip to get attention.

Level 7
There's a sample of my spell (WIP)

Mysterious Fruit

Forest Protector use his mystical power to produce some dangerous "fruit" which are thrown at a random place around the tree when they are ready. When they fall on the ground they release mysterious poisonous dust which give a curse the misfortuned enemies stand close, those curses are: Paralize, Blind, Slow or Heal. The tree can only make ten fruit then he need to recharge his power.
Level #1:paralyze for 3 seconds / Blind 80 % miss / Heal 100 HP / Slow 50%.
Level #2: Paralyze for 4 seconds / Blind 90 % miss / Heal 150 HP/ Slow 75%.
Level #3:paralyze for 5 seconds / Blind 100 % / Heal 200 HP / Slow 100%.
Cooldown 12/11/10 seconds.

View attachment Klingo's Contest Submission.w3x

PS: I hope I didn't stole anyone's idea

Last edited:
Level 15
Do the visual effects match the spell? Do the effects provide unnecessary clutter (too many), or are the not enough? Do the visual(s)? contribute in a positive manner?
Because I have nothing else to do, I decide to pick on the thread.

Edit: =O - Why not fix up the typos?

'the' should be 'they'?
'visual' should be 'visuals'
or
'Do' should be 'does'?

Last edited:
Well after few created abilities that look like some already used, with same Night Elf heroes I was defeated and lost motivation for contest!

Then my friend gave me awesome idea! Taurens, mother earth, nature!
Here it is my spell, someone call it WIP some test, doesn't mater, tell me what you think about it...

I will add more until deadline (example: description and English check will be finished soon) I will try to reduce lag even more, add some formulas etc etc!

I don't want to write all about it here, test it first :razz:
Oh btw current main part is: damage, slow, stun!
If you have more ideas tell me and if I use them you will find yourself in Credits!

P.S. Teamwork isn't allowed so pls don't edit triggers or show them here! I need only your ideas! Also don't upload spell to other sites without my permission!

Attachments

• Zephyr Challenge #7 - WIP.w3x
    117.6 KB · Views: 66
Level 18
I don't know -Kobas- that really doesn't seem like a Nature spell. You use those cliff doodads which could be argued as "nature" oriented but then there's an enormous explosion of fire. I would consider this type of spell as "volcanic" (and would probably fall under the category of fire) - we'll see what the others have to say.

Also your the fog/smoke that is spread over the terrain is even used under water, and it is tremendously noticeable that there is mysterious fog/dust beneath the surface of the water.

There's a sample of my spell (WIP)

Mysterious Fruit

Forest Protector use his mystical power to produce some dangerous "fruit" which are thrown at a random place around the tree when they are ready. When they fall on the ground they release mysterious poisonous dust which give a curse the misfortuned enemies stand close, those curses are: Paralize, Blind, Slow or Heal. The tree can only make ten fruit then he need to recharge his power.
Level #1:paralyze for 3 seconds / Blind 80 % miss / Heal 100 HP / Slow 50%.
Level #2: Paralyze for 4 seconds / Blind 90 % miss / Heal 150 HP/ Slow 75%.
Level #3:paralyze for 5 seconds / Blind 100 % / Heal 200 HP / Slow 100%.
Cooldown 12/11/10 seconds.

Not only did I find it extremely difficult to have the fruit hit a nearby enemy, but even when it did nothing seemed to actually happen. I also noticed that the fruit movement was a little glitchy in areas. I won't be specific, it is up to you to find the bugs.

lol thanks I was expecting GTFO NOOB go kill yourself or something like that :D
Well about terrain, it is because fog is global effect and my terrain don't have blizzard made cliff etc I will not explain but thanks for that, it will be fixed, removed or whatever!
About fire ok I will replace that effect with some other I wanted to find something like dust explosion but hah, there is nothing like that! Maybe will I change color and transparency a little to remove red and add more gray color :D

I will wait for few more opinions, English check and few more stuff and then post another WIP!

Level 18
Corruption, like, target a tree(the nature part :|) and it will become evil. That's what I'm guessing anyways.

Well if that is the case, then it really depends on how he executes the idea. If I am not completely convinced that it is Nature themed then it will not be accepted as a submission. Obviously if a WIP is posted this kind of ambiguity can be directly addressed.

About fire ok I will replace that effect with some other I wanted to find something like dust explosion but hah, there is nothing like that! Maybe will I change color and transparency a little to remove red and add more gray color :D

Well it's not just the "fire effect" that makes it volcanic. You spawn rocks around the caster which, in one way or another, relates to "nature"; the problem lies in the entirety of the theme of your spell. Even if you were to simply replace the fire with green-ish glows I would still not be convinced that it is a nature themed spell.

I really would not recommend using spells that are border-line themed. It should be absolutely, undoubtedly, crystalline clear that it is NATURE THEMED.

Level 11
Kercyn , what your spell is suppose to do?

Edit: Can we use imported stuff?

There's a description of the spell a few pages back. And yes, as long as you credit the creator of the resource, imports are allowed.

Level 3
I have the strangest bug ever, in an attempt to make the spell support multi-level, I used the following line
  • Hashtable - Save (Level of Judgment 1 for TU) as 4 of (Key TH) in HashtableJ
which triggers upon casting. And this function gives (the level of the spell -1) the first time that unit cast the spell and if it casts the spell again it gives the right value but if another unit casts the spell it gives the wrong value for that unit and will give the wrong value for the first unit too!
I have no idea what to do.

Aside for memory leeks (and the bug mentioned above) which I am still not very sure of how to remove them, every thing should work fine.

View attachment spell.w3x

test and give feed back (I know this isn't the best test map you ever seeen, I'll make a better one later).

Level 9
@Ash Darkside

There are some things you can do
1. When you stop using the hashtable valuews for a unit, always clear child hashtables. It should be as natural as clearing leaks.
2. Make sure that the initial values for all the integer variables are different. When they are all the same, the hashtable seems to get confused for some reason.

If neither of those work, it's either a code fault or a rare hashbug. Hashbug meaning: a random bug occurs that breaks the hashtable that is of no fault of the code. This has happened to me once, it was a tick for a sweeping stream flamethrower. A bug occurred where whenever the hash-tick reached 22, everything broke down. Apparently, hashbugs only happen in gui.

I'm going to test it right now and see what i can find

EDIT: you have the initial values right

EDIT2: you're clearing childs correctly, but you are doing some bad things. First of all I'm not sure if you were planning on fixing this when you were done, but you have some major leakage. Second of all, you are using numbers as the key for saving your hashtable values. This is bad, because then nobody knows what each number means, and it might even be screwing with your hashtable. Please, use an appropriately named variable! it makes for good coding practice, and will allow you to score higher.

I'm finding it difficult to cipher through your code when all you variables are random numbers, so I can't provide any further feedback until this is fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.