• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #9: POLL

Icon Contest #9 : Poll

• [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2071855-post223.html"]-Grendel[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

icon.png
contest.png
number.png
9.png

Same Abilities, Different Hero
Recreate 4 icons of existing warcraft hero abilities to better suit a different hero.
Here is the original post of the idea. Mix and match any kind of abilities from different heroes.

You can get a non hero specific abilities such as wind walk or frost nova and change them to something more specific to the new hero

OR

You can get a hero specific abilities such as carrion beetle, impale, resurrection or shockwave to be more specific to the new hero.

Please specify what the race and the class of the hero you are drawing the icon for, such as a gnoll mage or a murloc warrior.

Would be common sense to create at least 1 passive ability icon and 1 ultimate ability icon.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Username 1
  • Username 2
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Creativity
The icons' originality and uniqueness are vitally important. 20%

Theme
Your icons should represent the aspects of your chosen theme. Variety between your icons is an important condition. 20%

Blizzard Feeling
Icons should be executed in such a manner that they can be implemented in a Warcraft map, compliment other Blizzard icons and replace the existing ones. 20%

Technical Note
The quality of the icons is the most important thing (throwing a lot of elements in a 64x64 image will usually look crowded)40%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Because we have nobody actually responsible for making the notices, and only a handful of people have the necessary privileges to do so. Two of which have no idea how to do it, two of which are almost never here and last of which has far too much to do already.

Level 49
Voted for shiiK. I like both Mr.Goblin's and shiiK's entry equally, but once I saw the vote situation, I knew some wrongs must be corrected. ^^

(That is: shiiK and Mr.Goblin are equally as good, therefore they should have a more equal amount of votes.)

Everyone did great, either way; Good luck to ALL of you guys! Mr.Goblin and shiiK were indeed my favorites, but Marcos DAB, M0rbid, I3lackDeath, and pretty much everyone else did a wonderful job as well! I truly believe that this was a very successful contest. ^^

Level 5
My Vote

I'd go for Elainiel too
Awesome new skill Icons.
Although all of them are great. I just made my decision to vote.
unless you let me pick more.

Last edited:
Level 16
I didn't follow the contest thread, so this is my first time looking at the submissions.

IMHO there are many beautiful icons being made, courtesy of another successful contest, and I particularly like the two murloc sets by Grendel and Marcos DAB. As a tie-breaker between the two, I think that Grendel had two brilliant icons in Mirror Image and Shadowmeld, and though Divine Shield and Critical Strike are distinctly murloc equipments I thought that they both lack a certain 'wow' factor. Marcos DAB's icons had a slight edge in having a nice colour scheme while also portraying the murloc part well. My only complaint is that the ideas could be pushed further than the current like-for-like style (same head, same claw, same foot etc). Vote goes to Marcos DAB.

I'd like to say a few words for the other entries too.

I3lackDeath, I think the finer details on your icons are beautiful but get a bit lost in the game. For instance I couldn't immediately see what is Bloodlust trying to depict.

Mr.Goblin's Charm is probably my favourite icon of the contest, and Chemical Rage is also very unique. But I didn't really like Aerial Shackles, as there are quite a few icons in the resource section that had that style already.

chr2, you had a daring take of the panda model, but I think that as warcraft3 icons they do lack a little bit of polish. And the Devotion Aura's yinyang symbol should be drawn from different angles, as its current depiction looks too basic.

ʞııɥs, your Shadowmeld is great but its detailed style contrasts with the simpler approach of the other three. Do be more consistent when making a set. :p

Morbid's revenant set is another of my favourites, especially Breath of Frost. But I couldn't quite guess whether the second icon shows the armour or the shield, and the forth icon Reincarnation is a bit ambiguous for my liking.

JollyD, the main problem for me is the Resurrection icon, don't know what you're trying to show here... sometimes less is more. The other three are good, though Rage could be toned down a bit too, like just showing a portion of his face with the most intense fury.

Elaniel, you've got a solid set, what would have worked better for me is that if you could make them more exclusive for your ice troll warlord model. Especially when two of the icons shows only axes I wish you could show a bit more of the troll.

Level 30
I didn't follow the contest thread, so this is my first time looking at the submissions.

IMHO there are many beautiful icons being made, courtesy of another successful contest, and I particularly like the two murloc sets by Grendel and Marcos DAB. As a tie-breaker between the two, I think that Grendel had two brilliant icons in Mirror Image and Shadowmeld, and though Divine Shield and Critical Strike are distinctly murloc equipments I thought that they both lack a certain 'wow' factor. Marcos DAB's icons had a slight edge in having a nice colour scheme while also portraying the murloc part well. My only complaint is that the ideas could be pushed further than the current like-for-like style (same head, same claw, same foot etc). Vote goes to Marcos DAB.

I'd like to say a few words for the other entries too.

I3lackDeath, I think the finer details on your icons are beautiful but get a bit lost in the game. For instance I couldn't immediately see what is Bloodlust trying to depict.

Mr.Goblin's Charm is probably my favourite icon of the contest, and Chemical Rage is also very unique. But I didn't really like Aerial Shackles, as there are quite a few icons in the resource section that had that style already.

chr2, you had a daring take of the panda model, but I think that as warcraft3 icons they do lack a little bit of polish. And the Devotion Aura's yinyang symbol should be drawn from different angles, as its current depiction looks too basic.

ʞııɥs, your Shadowmeld is great but its detailed style contrasts with the simpler approach of the other three. Do be more consistent when making a set. :p

Morbid's revenant set is another of my favourites, especially Breath of Frost. But I couldn't quite guess whether the second icon shows the armour or the shield, and the forth icon Reincarnation is a bit ambiguous for my liking.

JollyD, the main problem for me is the Resurrection icon, don't know what you're trying to show here... sometimes less is more. The other three are good, though Rage could be toned down a bit too, like just showing a portion of his face with the most intense fury.

Elaniel, you've got a solid set, what would have worked better for me is that if you could make them more exclusive for your ice troll warlord model. Especially when two of the icons shows only axes I wish you could show a bit more of the troll.

Great review!! thank you!

sorry about the delay, guys.

as you may know, this is right now the holiday periods and people are busy with this and that(mostly just playing games or such i presume) before the schools start again. i, myself, is visiting my family whom i havent seen for 3 years.

please have patients and i shall have the results out asap

oh. the judges are wazzz and myself. as you can see, i had to put myself because everyone else was also too busy partying/relaxing.

Level 30
sorry about the delay, guys.

as you may know, this is right now the holiday periods and people are busy with this and that(mostly just playing games or such i presume) before the schools start again. i, myself, is visiting my family whom i havent seen for 3 years.

please have patients and i shall have the results out asap

oh. the judges are wazzz and myself. as you can see, i had to put myself because everyone else was also too busy partying/relaxing.

all is ok )

well the judgings, for my part is almost over. just need to do 1 criteria and it should be done.

the results so far, in terms of scores, are rather surprising.

lemme first explain how i score in each criteria. i first choose a criteria and then i sort all the contestants in descending order of one who most fulfilled the criteria to the least. then i give the top guy the full score, minus some scores depending on some of the faults. then from then on, i just minus more scores for the next person and then the next person and then the next person. This ensures me that i get a wide range of scopes for the given criteria. just because you have gotten 13 when someone got 14 on a criteria does not mean that you are 1/14 worse than the other person. it is simply scored upon ranking and in relativity. and because you score a score like 3 or 4 out of 10 does not mean you "fail" the criteria. it simply means about 6 more people did better than you.

this also means the judging is able to determine clearly who did better in what as well as making sure there is a less chance of draws and etc.

long story short, dont get cocky because of a high score and dont get depressed due to low score. and please have some dignity and avoid ragequitting. especially when i have put a lot of feedback and ways to improve next time.

that is to say no one scored 40 out of 40 scores that i have judged. and i have 10 more scores to allocate

EDIT: ALL scores have been located. Just counting the judging, there are two people who have tied on the first place!

HOW EXCITING!!!11!!ONE

anyways. I am just waiting on the other judge, who is wazzz. once his scores are in, the final scores will be calculated with both the judges scores and voting, as such and then given out to reveal the winner

I am also going on a roadtrip for the next 4 days, possibly so the winner will be revealed when i get back

Last edited:
i normally advise people not to vote in a contest that they are participating in. the choices tend to be untruthful

oh. the other judging hasnt been given to me yet and i cant find wazzz as of right now. i have so much house cleaning to do anyways. and i believe wazz was almost done the last time i saw him. i'll leave the guy a message and post the results tomorow.

also. the road trip was great. ate tonnes of barbecues and went to beaches

i suggest that for a next icon contest contestants should upload only the icons and an in-game preview.

mr. goblin made an excellent work indeed, i find his icon set the best one, but there are some great entries as well, and i believe that the fancy preview he has made kinda pulled a good amount of votes.
i know he might do this for his own pleasure and fulfillment to make something pretty, but i think that puts in risk the fairness of the poll

Status
Not open for further replies.