• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

User of the Year - Voting!

Who's the User of the Year 2012 in your eyes? Vote now!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
178091-albums2336-picture64510.png

178091-albums2336-picture64512.png
Art by Blizzard Ent.
The community has nominated several active users of the Hive and it is now time for you once again to vote for the one user you think truly deserves the award.

Update: The poll has been renewed and all nominees have been added to it.
A change is in store for 2013's User of the Year: The staff will be excluded from voting/nominating in the future.
However the Staff is already excluded from voting in the above poll for 2012's UotY. (Should staff members vote for a user either way, then their vote will be manually excluded)

Poll: 12.01.13 - 19.01.13

! Asking users to vote for any candidate is strictly forbidden !

Last edited:
Level 22
Orcnet and Sonofjay... Wtf? No offense bros, just an award for much more prestigious members, which is odd, 'cause this roster is fairly light, how did Maker not get nominated...

Anyway I voted for Mag96, I'd say he's been the most professional in his contributions to the site, aside from a little bit of chat trolling every now and again.

Level 28
Argg, RED BARON is not on the list.

I'll probably vote for.. the other nominees. D:

Orcnet and Sonofjay... Wtf? No offense bros, just an award for much more prestigious members, which is odd, 'cause this roster is fairly light, how did Maker not get nominated...

I'm only the odd one, Orcnet is doing a great job handling the map section.

EDIT:

Voted for Kael.

Level 12

Anyway I voted for Mag96, I'd say he's been the most professional in his contributions to the site, aside from a little bit of chat trolling every now and again.

Unfortunately, User of the Year is voted by the public. Which means those popular enough among the masses would have higher chances of getting the award even though others clearly deserve it more.

Voted for Mag. Did a lot of work in that triggers section.

Level 30
Level 28
RiotZ seriously? "more prestigious members" User of the Year is not an award only for mods or people with a lot of reputation, posts and etc. if that's what you meant. Sonofjay is doing A GREAT job here. So is Orcnet :p they're both very active, know almost all the "often joining" people around here and are very kind. sonofjay has many maps and is REALLY GOOD AT IT! I can tell you that :p I've seen some of his projects. I'm not sure about Orcnet but he does have a map, I haven't tried it though.

:p

(I would have added many other people to this list Riotz. Many other of these "non prestigious members" :) Like MasterHaosis for example.)

add: Yes VK, Mag, BD to some degree, really deserve this, cuz they've done A LOT around here, I admire VK for handling the map section, which is the hardest section for me... playing all these maps and then judging them, Mag who tries all these triggers, but that doesn't mean that you have to "cut off" the other candidates for users of the year. Cuz they are great people too :p they've done A LOT around here, helped a lot of people here and etc. :p

Level 34
Ok guys, its my turn.
Sorry for little off topic, but cause I am mentioned few times here and in chat, I have to explain something once for all.

Rui said:
.....some of the users' nominations (like MasterHaosis)

morbent said:
- MasterHaosis of course, one of the most active people here on the Hive... I believe there isn't a user to who MasterHaosis hasn't ''smiled'' ( :cgrin: :p)

(I would have added many other people to this list Riotz. Many other of these "non prestigious members" :) Like MasterHaosis for example.)

i vote masterhaosis

Thank you all who mentioned me few times here and there, and who would most likely voted for me. I am honored.
But I feel that I need to explain you few things.

You know, my dear friends, few years ago, we had (actually someone created) unofficial poll user of the year 2008, just to see people's conditions, global atmoshpehe who will/could vote for who.
That was forbidden by then because of obvious fighting and dramas by fanboys and local gangs, and instead of closing such thread (as Ralle personally ordered long time ago), some of moderators who was charge then keep thread alive just to see if someone of them clan (moderators had their clans buck then) would win. When they saw that I am wining (with double more votes than guy with second place) they not just closed a poll, but deleted entire thread with poll, making fatal mistake and cause lot of further dramas around. That cause lot of punishments especially Ralle punished those moderators who were involved in letting that poll alive, and deleting when they saw that I won.
So here, I scrambled other names which I won (no names please)
winner10.png

So you see, I had double more votes than anyone.
And just next minute, thread was gone
winner11.png

If I won with double more votes in unnofical poll, then its 100% certain that I would win in offical pool. And instead of that it were fights, moderator abusing/demoting and such, caused rank user of the year manually to be added without any further poll.
What is the most important, I WAS NOT ACTIVE THAT MONTH IN HIVE! I AM NOMINATED WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE, WITHOUT MY APPROVAL.
If I were asked, for sure I would not allow anyone to put my name in any poll in that times. And its not first poll I won that year which got deleted.
But that poll caused me to decide to tell publicly THAT NOBODY HAS RIGHT TO PUT MY NAME IN ANY NOMINATION, ANY POLL IN THIS SITE FOR NEXT FEW YEARS UNTIL I ALLOW.
Yes, thats why you never after 2008 saw me in any poll. Previous year, and year before and and before, I was always nominated by people (and thank you for that) but I sent Pms to charge people (or told them in chat) to remove me from any list. Except this time. I did not now sent any PM to any moderator because I knew that I am not going to be nominated in list by their decisions. But still even if I were nominated I would send them PM to remove me from list for following reason:
Guys, in 2012 year i wasnot active in site. I werenot active about twice at three months with is overall six months!
And you want to nominate me who do not deserve to be nominated in therms that I did not create much resources, I did not help much people around, I were not enough active, which would not be fair to other people who are already in list. And after knowing all of that some of you yet again decide to nimated me, and I am sure many of you would vote for me. Thanks you so much because of that. But you will do mostly because of my activity in chat and because I am friend with (almost) anyone, some of you because I helped out or spread some ideas of you (meele map makers fan). But its still not enough overall that my name should be included even in this poll.
You see, you have Vengeancekael who is good, rpvoed himself this year, you have I3lackDeath who is also active lot and doing his job very well, you have Magtheridon96 which is awesome guy, helpful lot, good moderator, you have sonofjay which I do not have any more words to him rather than words of praise for this nice mannered guy. You have -Kobas- (his name is shorten word of grill) who was helpful lot and did awesome job in map section, and at last Orcnet, new fresh blood in moderator Lobby whose is now good as moderator aswell being good as user!
So puting my name beneath them who were many times better than me this year (and even if I magically win) would be fail for this site and community.
As I would won back long time ago, and felt bad, ashamed because back then bunch of people could ruin will of majority, I also would not like to see unjustice towards those few guys whose are already in poll.

You see, you have people here who nominated themselves, and yet again you have me only one in entire site whose wrote why I should not be nominated at first place and yet given chance to win.
Words of wise. :cgrin:

So please, I do not want problems, you do not want problems, we all do not want to ruin this thread however voting and nominating system is not fair. But we have chance to discuss this in another thread, not to ruin this one and to create problems to our moderators and to administrators especially ralle who did not deserved to watch this.
So, please, be smart now, and if you want to vote, then vote for one of those few people in list, if you do not want to vote, then do not, but do not put names of people whose are not in list.
I do not want to see ,,I vote for MasterHaosis" and later to see neg reps for that posts or warning or any kind of punishment. You cannot fix that now, my name will not appear or poll.
But rather I offer if you want to discuss about what is wrong with these polls, then create new thread in Site discussion and link me to it so we all can wrote there what I thin that is wrong and how can we improve it. I am also not personally satisfied with user of year selection system overall but lets talk in other thread.

Level 22
RiotZ seriously? "more prestigious members" User of the Year is not an award only for mods or people with a lot of reputation, posts and etc. if that's what you meant. Sonofjay is doing A GREAT job here. So is Orcnet :p they're both very active, know almost all the "often joining" people around here and are very kind. sonofjay has many maps and is REALLY GOOD AT IT! I can tell you that :p I've seen some of his projects. I'm not sure about Orcnet but he does have a map, I haven't tried it though.

:p

add: Yes VK, Mag, BD to some degree, really deserve this, cuz they've done A LOT around here, I admire VK for handling the map section, which is the hardest section for me... playing all these maps and then judging them, Mag who tries all these triggers, but that doesn't mean that you have to "cut off" the other candidates for users of the year. Cuz they are great people too :p they've done A LOT around here, helped a lot of people here and etc. :p

Prestigious members = people who have done shit

When I look at heavily contributory members, I see... Maker, Ap0calypse, Mag96, Pharaoh_, DSG, Rui, enjoy... Etc.

Sonofjay released a really cool map, and terrained a bunch for people, and has some melee maps right? Then I'm just as qualified, (or just as unqualified), as him to be UoTY.

Orcnet is a map mod, he moderates maps. Now albeit he's a really cool, nice guy, but he's been a map mod like what, two months?

VengeanceKael, overall, really helpful, does his job, but he's not done anything extraordinary.

And the same above can be applied to Mag96, helpful, does his job, keeps an eye on chat, and is cool to talk to...

Understand, like Sonofjay did, I'm not saying these people are stupid, or bad, or don't contribute anything, but in an honest sincere way, they just don't deserve an award that has been given, [six?] times?

I'd say on this list Mag and Kael are the most deserving.

Also, MasterHaosis might be the oldest active member of the site aside from Ap0calypse and Ralle, how is he not prestigious?

Which reminds me, I do think Ralle should be on this list for doing what most thought was overkill, and pulling the site through, though with a few missing members.

And I forgot about 13D who's been on damage control for the last 2 months, he's probably the most deserving of everyone on this list, I can remember firing off criticism at him many times and him taking it like a champ.

Why attack me so personally when I was defending those who also got a vote and aren't here.

I didn't believe administrators attack so immature way.
Interesting to see that you decided to edit your post.
You seemingly replied in a "let's not take this too seriously"-manner before, but decided to take a turn.

For the record, I did not mock you. I indirectly asked you to provide your visions of a "fair poll". The evaluation formula we used is as neutral as possible.
It is not our "fault" if the community nominated the, in your opinion, "wrong people".
If you took this as mocking, then I apologize. That was not my intention, at all.

Additionally, it's only natural that we can not possibly include all 47 (!) nominees in this poll.
You may also check the number of mentions most of them got. A User of the Year, who only got mentioned once?
That doesn't look representative to me. Does it to you?
(Speaking from a neutral point of view, as I can not possibly decipher who of the candidates could truly be called THE user of the year.
I would be highly biased aswell as subjective.)
Since we are bound to evaluate polls like these without running the risk of of manipulation due to personal preferences, statistics is our best partner here.
We took all these steps for this to be as neutral as possible.

Oh, I already said that but I was mocked by an administrator.

Just what the fuck.
Since when am I an administrator?
As for the mocking part, read the forementioned.
I really wonder why people love drama oh so much these days.
We can talk about everything rationally, there's no need to blow anything out of proportion.

Prestigious members = people who have done shit

When I look at heavily contributory members, I see... Maker, Ap0calypse, Mag96, Pharaoh_, DSG, Rui, enjoy... Etc.

Sonofjay released a really cool map, and terrained a bunch for people, and has some melee maps right? Then I'm just as qualified, (or just as unqualified), as him to be UoTY.

Orcnet is a map mod, he moderates maps. Now albeit he's a really cool, nice guy, but he's been a map mod like what, two months?

VengeanceKael, overall, really helpful, does his job, but he's not done anything extraordinary.

And the same above can be applied to Mag96, helpful, does his job, keeps an eye on chat, and is cool to talk to...

Understand, like Sonofjay did, I'm not saying these people are stupid, or bad, or don't contribute anything, but in an honest sincere way, they just don't deserve an award that has been given, [six?] times?

I'd say on this list Mag and Kael are the most deserving.

Also, MasterHaosis might be the oldest active member of the site aside from Ap0calypse and Ralle, how is he not prestigious?

Which reminds me, I do think Ralle should be on this list for doing what most thought was overkill, and pulling the site through, though with a few missing members.

And I forgot about 13D who's been on damage control for the last 2 months, he's probably the most deserving of everyone on this list, I can remember firing off criticism at him many times and him taking it like a champ.
You offer a very interesting point to this aswell.
As I said before (and please do note that I did mention this several times), it is the community that nominates the User of the Year candidates.
I can not see how anyone would accuse the Staff of doing a poor job here, as we don't do jack to influence the poll or nominees themselves.
As I said before:
If you (generally speaking, not adressing RiotZ personally) feel like the wrong people are featured in this poll, then please nominate the, in your eyes, "truly deserving" people in the future.
The nominations thread itself was open long enough for everyone to just do that.

Level 22
Growing consensus, this poll is a sham.

13D: I'm not accusing the mods of anything. I'm just trying to figure out why, Maker, Haosis, Ap0calypse, even Fingolfin, aren't on this list.

I guess standard users are just total dumbasses.

Level 25
Growing consensus, this poll is a sham.

13D: I'm not accusing the mods of anything. I'm just trying to figure out why, Maker, Haosis, Ap0calypse, even Fingolfin, aren't on this list.

I guess standard users are just total dumbasses.

Hence my comment about vote/nominations.

Half the users (myself included) were under the impression that the nominations are nominations, and one is enough.

The other half thought that this is a vote.

I never stated that /you/ accused anyone, but several people seem to see it that way.

Half the users (myself included) were under the impression that the nominations are nominations, and one is enough.

This is a logistic problem. As I said, we can not possibly include 47 nominees in a poll.
The community mentioned some people several times, so statistically speaking (including non-personal interpretation), those have a higher potential of actually being the User of the Year.

I3lackDeath said:
(Speaking from a neutral point of view, as I can not possibly decipher who of the candidates could truly be called THE user of the year.
I would be highly biased aswell as subjective.)

So, how would you have evaluated this? You being both people in general and rulerofiron99 personally.

Level 22

Agreed. Needs to be fixed.

Edit: "I can not see how anyone would accuse the Staff of doing a poor job here, as we don't do jack to influence the poll or nominees themselves."

No accusations by me... Also, it's simple, moderators pick nominees, through their own closed voting process, either that or you have all nominees listed in this poll.

No accusations by me... Also, it's simple, moderators pick nominees, through their own closed voting process, either that or you have all nominees listed in this poll.
We DID NOT have any voting process of our own - neither a nominations thread, and personally, I'd like it to stay this way.
The only Staff members who /potentially/ have the best shot at picking suitable candidates themselves, are admins (or at least they should have the best shot).
We can not be everywhere at the same time, and every one of us would hold a different opinion aswell.
We can not possibly satisfy everyone. If we'd pick the nominees ourselves, people would whine about how unfair that would be, why we don't handle the awards to ourselves right away.

Additionally, as I check up with how it was done last year (reading the respective threads), we did it just the same way, with the alteration being that we tried to make this as neutral as possible this time around.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I understand if you're unhappy when the one you nominated did not show up in the list, but you must also agree that a poll of 50 people is just too big. We can make the list longer, but how many people? 10? 15? 20? We add the people with the most nominations to that list. There will always be somebody who is unhappy because someone is excluded from the list, but you have to understand that the only we that we can stay neutral in this is to use math to decide who gets in the poll and who does not.

Level 28
Riotz, no :p You're wrong. These people have done A LOT. And for this year they are those who have done the most. No one else has. You may look up to Maker, Ap0calypse, Rui, but they haven't done that much this year. Pharaoh_ has, but he already has the award and can't get it a second time. And it's not only about rating maps or putting resources in here, it's about talking to the community too :p and Sonofjay is One Active Person when it comes to this. He knows almost everyone, always talks to people (this shows that he's active right now (this year if you insist)), many people like him (this shows that's he's a nice guy), he helps a lot of people (same like the last thing I said) and etc. And I can talk a lot more about Orcnet and the others but I won't since the thread isn't about that :\ oh, whatever. Think what you want. I was just sharing my point of view.

Z

Level 25
For future UotY awards, I suggest splitting it like this:
- User of the Year is chosen by the staff, using their own internal process. Staff may not receive this award.
- Staff Member of the Year is chosen by poll. All the staff members can be included, so there will be no "logistic" problems.

So, how would you have evaluated this? You being both people in general and rulerofiron99 personally.
I understand if you're unhappy when the one you nominated did not show up in the list, but you must also agree that a poll of 50 people is just too big.

My problem is that this should have been communicated better beforehand. Sure a 50-choice poll is tedious, but it is do-able. If you're going to shorten it, it needs to be very clearly announced, so that users can add to the nominations.

The problem is that even if we announce everything, several people will still miss things.
Remember the MB poll, where I explicitly stated that people have to provide reasons as to why they nominate someone? Plenty of users missed to do that. For a while, I PMed them about it, but seeing as it won't have any effect, even posting it several times in the thread itself, I let go of it.

It is our job to evaluate the candidates, necessary to exclude those who weren't active at all, for example (THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE, I AM NOT STATING THAT IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!). We did this in the most neutral manner possible.

For future UotY awards, I suggest splitting it like this:
- User of the Year is chosen by the staff, using their own internal process. Staff may not receive this award.
- Staff Member of the Year is chosen by poll. All the staff members can be included, so there will be no "logistic" problems.
If I haven't stated it before, I will do it now:
I am strongly against (possibly further) separating Staff and the community as a whole, especially by taking an active part in it (--> splitting such an award). There are no benefits in separation, only disadvantages.
We are all the same, the only difference being that some of us have voluntarily taken on responsibilities. I often see the argument of us having "power", but almost 99% of the time, that statement misses this exact point.
Everyone has the potential to join Staff ranks, just as every Staff member may be potentially demoted.

Level 49
@MH: You've been nominated by three people, and then received what are arguably words of scorn from another member. The minimum to get into the poll is 5. It's okay, MasterHaosis, you're not nominated, there's no need for the wall of text. :p

Da hell. The holiday events, monthly news threads, and overall site activity is nothing extraordinary? D:
That's kind of mean.

As I said, we can not possibly include 47 nominees in a poll.

I see no reason as to why you wouldn't be able to do that. Put all 47 of them in there, make it a multi-choice poll, and we would have the fairest poll ever. You never mentioned you were going to include only the people who were nominated the most; That is simply unfair.

Level 25
If I haven't stated it before, I will do it now:
I am strongly against (possibly further) separating Staff and the community as a whole, especially by taking an active part in it (--> splitting such an award). There are no benefits in separation, only disadvantages.
We are all the same, the only difference being that some of us have voluntarily taken on responsibilities. I often see the argument of us having "power", but almost 99% of the time, that statement misses this exact point.
Everyone has the potential to join Staff ranks, just as every Staff member may be potentially demoted.

Fair point. However, more than "power", what staff members already have is the respect of the community. This award, with it always being won by a staff member, feels like the staff patting itself on the back. Not that being rewarded for hard work is a bad thing.
If the staff, who are typically the most active anyway, win all the time, what's the point of even including the rest of the users?
Most of the nominated users are very active in specific sections - trigger support, maps, art, etc. Thus, the people that nominate and vote for them are people that frequent those sections. Moderators, by virtue of having responsibility, have to frequent the entire site.

So perhaps the problem is that we don't have enough users that go spread awesomeness on all the boards.

The problem is that even if we announce everything, several people will still miss things.
Remember the MB poll, where I explicitly stated that people have to provide reasons as to why they nominate someone? Plenty of users missed to do that. For a while, I PMed them about it, but seeing as it won't have any effect, even posting it several times in the thread itself, I let go of it.

That's no reason not to do it. More clarity is always a good thing.

I see no reason as to why you wouldn't be able to do that. Put all 47 of them in there, make it a multi-choice poll, and we would have the fairest poll ever. You never mentioned you were going to include only the people who were nominated the most; That is simply unfair.
We did not include those who were nominated the most, for christ's sake.
We did not decide that ourselves, we did not make the decision that those that are listed will enter the poll, and no others.
We used a mathematic equation to make sure that the result is representable, while neutral at the same time.
As I said before, one mention can not be representable of /the/ user of the year, statistically speaking.
And I am tired of having to repeat this: we did not act personally on this, but based all of this on statistics.
Otherwise, you would whine about it being unfair due to hidden personal preferences.

Hakeem has put it perfectly before, so I will quote him on this, if I may:
Hakeem said:
I just don't think we are Utopian enough to really bother solving each and every little flaw in having awards like these.

And even then we're liable to not please everyone.

rulerofiron99 said:
That's no reason not to do it. More clarity is always a good thing.
Of course it isn't, but the drama fetish regarding these matters still stuns me.

Fair point. However, more than "power", what staff members already have is the respect of the community. This award, with it always being won by a staff member, feels like the staff patting itself on the back. Not that being rewarded for hard work is a bad thing.
If the staff, who are typically the most active anyway, win all the time, what's the point of even including the rest of the users?
Most of the nominated users are very active in specific sections - trigger support, maps, art, etc. Thus, the people that nominate and vote for them are people that frequent those sections. Moderators, by virtue of having responsibility, have to frequent the entire site.

So perhaps the problem is that we don't have enough users that go spread awesomeness on all the boards.
That point has absolutely no substance.
Again, the community nominates people. Don't hold Staff responsible for you nominating Staff members. We could have easily excluded every nomination made by a Staff member in this thread, there would still be plenty of Staff members (and nomination mentions) nominated.
Why is this such a big deal anyway?
I have stated this in the MB threads before, and I will repeat it again:
If we really just wanted to give each other awards, we could easily do it in a matter of hours.
What's the point of that?

Level 22
Riotz, no :p You're wrong. These people have done A LOT. And for this year they are those who have done the most. No one else has. You may look up to Maker, Ap0calypse, Rui, but they haven't done that much this year. Pharaoh_ has, but he already has the award and can't get it a second time. And it's not only about rating maps or putting resources in here, it's about talking to the community too :p and Sonofjay is One Active Person when it comes to this. He knows almost everyone, always talks to people (this shows that he's active right now (this year if you insist)), many people like him (this shows that's he's a nice guy), he helps a lot of people (same like the last thing I said) and etc. And I can talk a lot more about Orcnet and the others but I won't since the thread isn't about that :\ oh, whatever. Think what you want. I was just sharing my point of view.

Z

Maker and Ap0calypse haven't done anything this year... delusional? And I don't think I mentioned Rui, he was banned for half of the year unfortunately. You're really just trying to prove how good this list is, and it isn't. What has -Kobas- done for the site that garners him UoTY? Don't answer that, in fact don't reply to this, just keep on keeping on.

No offense intended to anyone I mentioned in what seemed like a bash on them, I would not expect myself to get UoTY, and I wouldn't expect anyone with similar credentials to myself to get it, it's just what's fair.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Users are by default at a disadvantage since they cannot do as much as moderators. Similarly, I could be much more efficient and productive as an administrator than as a moderator. I too am unhappy with this poll, since only 1 of them is a user that has never been a moderator.

(...) You may look up to Maker, Ap0calypse, Rui, but they haven't done that much this year. (...)
I was expecting that people were thinking something of the sorts. Like I mentioned in the nomination thread, User of the Year ≠ User of the last few months. I did as much until July as I used to. Well, because of exams, maybe not as much, but Summer is a good epoch to get more stuff done, especially this year since I was free from mid-July and started classes mid-October. It wasn't really my fault that I couldn't spend them being productive, as you know (or not). Also, it appears to me that someone doing bureaucratic work and/or behind the scenes does not get a lot of credit, especially from users, more than moderators who sometimes get to know through the lobby.

Level 35
I would suggest splitting it to be staff of the year and user of the year - Admittedly I thought that it was in fact hinted at to be staff only - which speaks a little as to the nominations (which I do by the way fully agree with as nominations, I just see a better idea in the voting if this was split). Splitting it would also serve as motivation for both parties, instead of the likely outcome of a staff member getting it :smile:

Oh and no matter if the list was split as suggested, be it staff or if Vengeancekael was a normal user: He would get top billing - so since its not split I find this quite fair (given the current situation).

Status
Not open for further replies.