• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Fourberie: Westfall Story

Level 23

df807j9-5ba31ef8-66df-4b9a-a5e1-23a1d8d738ac.jpg

FOURBERIE: WESTFALL STORY

"This story is not a chivalric novel."

OVERVIEW

A small-scale linear adventure RPG about Westfall - a war-razed land, which future will determine the future of the whole Kingdom of Stormwind.
Meet new friends, fight against dangerous foes, and explore: Westfall is a playground and the possibility to restart your life.

STORY

"Westfall…
Once a prosperous land near the Kingdom of Stormwind, it was recently razed and raided by vile Orcish Horde.
Furious and fierce battles caused this land to suffer more.
But it was in the past, already…

Now locals are fighting to survive - after an unsuccessful riot against Stormwind aristocracy, Westfall became a rathole full of bittersweet farmers, plotters, and conspirators.
And here You are - an adventurer, who wants to catch fish in mud water…"

FEATURES

MEET THE LAND OF TROUBLES...
Thanks to King Varian and his hardline suppression, Westfall became a land of constant plots and conspirating rioters.
But still, every day new adventurers come here, escaping from their past lives to forge anew.
Visit Sentinels Hill, Redmarsh, miraculously prosperous Windmill Village, and Moonbrook - many buildings in-game can be seen indoors too.

AND OPPORTUNITES
Became one of the first members of the reborn Defias Brotherhood, escape the law and restart your adventure from scratch, create and manage your plot organization, brawl for control
With new allies, you will become part of things that will foresee many future events in Stormwind, but anyone needs to take his first step.
Divided into 6 Story Chapters, "Fourberie" presents delicate usage of past action adventure ideas with Warcraft Lore-specific tasks.

REFORGE YOUR LIFE TO GREATNESS
You're Mechanic - being smart and quick-minded, you were thrown away from a past life into the nothingness of today, and you want revenge.
Just from being signed with powers he doesn't know, his actions will lay mark over Westfall.
Unlike other RPGs like "Call of the Swarm" or "Pearl of Azshara", in Fourberie your skills are linked to map progression:

• Unleash over your enemies and your engineering skills - with an enhanced slicer and complex pistol, the dark forces of Westfall stand no chance against you!
  • Being marked with unusual power, can you combine your engineering skills with new energy? Perhaps clocking over someone's pocket watch?
  • And don't forget about your companions - you'll play with them on some story progression points!
Oh, and remember to name yourself, of course.

CHOOSE THE RULES YOU PLAY
Forging your new life will be difficult, thus you can select 1 of 3 "difficulties" of your future story.
As a linear Adventure RPG, you still don't know whom and what foes lie ahead: from mighty animals to otherworldish monsters.
Use your quick mind and exploit enemies' weaknesses - a dozen enemies means a dozen possibilities to defeat!

DESTINY LIES AHEAD
Complete the whole storyline, meet with iconic and new people, find allies, and defeat foes that stand in your way.
The fate of the People's Revolution is not in your hands, nor Westfall, but in the whole Kingdom of Stormwind.

…But will You achieve it at all?

MEDIA

MODELS
ICONS & ART
MUSIC & INSPIRTATION
MISCELLENEOUS
  • Preview Image author - "Westfall" by JJcanvas
  • Blizzard Entertainment: Warcraft 3 Reforged, World of Warcraft;
  • Wowpedia - for all WoW icons
  • Stable Diffusion for creating "Dreamstudio"
  • Articify.com for allowing to generate ideas
  • Bing AI/Microsoft Copilot Image Gen;
  • Fooocus UI for providing SD & MJ capilabilities;
INSPIRATION:
  • My humble parents;
  • Wardruna;
  • Blizzard Entertaiment
  • Alan Wake;
  • Bioshock: 1, 2 & Infinite;
  • Baldur's Gate III
  • Wardruna;
  • Poets of the Fall/Old Gods of Asgard;
  • Witcher 3 Soundtrack;
MUSIC USED IN-GAME:
  • HIVEWORKSHOP.COM;
  • XGM.GURU
  • All of you, who read those texts.

VIDEO

Demo Walkthrough:

RELEASES

Most recent release is DEMO VERSION
You can download it here:

Attachments

• SaldeansFarm-02.png
    SaldeansFarm-02.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 185
  • SentinellsHill.png
    SentinellsHill.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 181
  • WestfallLighthouse.png
    WestfallLighthouse.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 164
  • Moonbrook.png
    Moonbrook.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 174
  • Moonbrook Church NEw.png
    Moonbrook Church NEw.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • Sentinells Hill New.png
    Sentinells Hill New.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • Redmarsh New.png
    Redmarsh New.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 43
  • Graveyard 01.png
    Graveyard 01.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
  • Graveyard 02.png
    Graveyard 02.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 17
  • Moonbrook_Tavern_New.png
    Moonbrook_Tavern_New.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Level 23
...And here we're!
As I said on my profile page, this story will be about unknown adventurer, who want's to find his lifeway in Westfall during creation of Defias Brotherhood.
This RPG wouldn't be big in content, mostly being storydriven than filled with random events. But still it would be interesting adventure, I swear.

About devposts:
I don't know how I properly should inform You about map status, so when I'll complete something interesting, I'll try to show it.
Maybe will try to create some gameplay videos etc.

Ask me any questions you want, and I'll try to answer them all!
Thanks for attention and have a nice day, peace to your house.

Level 23
Welcome back, dear reader!
Let's discuss on our humble page about unknown adventurer, who want's to reforge his life in cunningful Westfall…

First devpost about "Fourberie: Westfall Story" wouldn't be big.
Today we will talk about main plot, ingame mechanics and I'll show you some ingame locations. Spoilers ahead, so watch out ;)

Map Plot

• Pretty simple - you're unknown adventurer, who ran away from boring farmerland, had heard about recent news in Kingdom. As many starts to flee from king wrath, adventurer thought that it'd be a nice deal - start a new life in war-torn land, where you can be anyone you want...
    And he managed to get caught in his nearly first theft action!
  • Well, what future lies for him? Will he face judgement and rot in local prison or manage to escape punishment? You decide...
  • You'll meet dozens of characters, that would be familiar for those, who played World of Warcraft:
    • You will descend into depths of creation Defias Brotherhood;
    • Meet strange ghost near lighthouse and other creatures in dark;
    • Start up your own gang and gaining reputation across criminal world of Westfall;
    • Ignite an rebellion or creating fascinating machines…
    • …And more! Just more you'll see by yourself on map release.

Ingame Mechanics and Activities

• First of all - "Fourberie" isn't a big RPG, so don't expect too much activities on each corner.
    But I'll try to surprise you anyway :)
  • Like my other map - "Pearl of Azshara" - our Adventurer will link his 3 main mechanics to his stats:
    • STRENGHT - Mastery of Martial Arts;
    • AGILITY - Cunning, master of rogue, thief and criminal stuff;
    • INTELLIGENCE - Crafting and creating engineer innovations;
  • But player will meet more flavor mechanics like horse riding, mini-games, pick locking, farmering, hunting and other cRPG-like activities;
  • As example, local gangs or Alliance will enforce some repetative quests like killing boars or collecting "taxes" - player can ignore them, but they'll come in hand when you need an extra money or fast reputation grown or decrease;
  • Progressing in main storyline and completing side quests will unlock more features.
...Seems that's all for now! Not too much, huh?
But still - map mostly decorated as you'll see in new landscape screenshots, that features destroyed by war northern village and ruins of Mortwake Tower.
Notice that all story happens before World of Warcraft Classic and long before Cataclysm, so don't expect something to see.

Thanks for reading, have a nice day and see you next time in new development progress post.
Ciao!

Attachments

• TotalMapView.png
    TotalMapView.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • ViewFromRuinedTower.png
    ViewFromRuinedTower.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
  • DestroyedVillage.png
    DestroyedVillage.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
Level 23
Current look-out of map loginscreen:
1669062350707.png

Image credits respectfully goes to Westfall by RemarkWatson.
Yeah, text slightly goes out from picture, but it will be fixed.

What about development? Well, it goes slowly and steady:
  • Completed creation of enemy & neutral creatures, that Adventurer will encount in his story;
  • Completed designing of all quests: all 7 main quests and 3 optional;
  • Completed map exterior, and slightly of map interior;
  • Started to decorate interior locations like Westfall Beacon or Moonbrook Town Hall;
  • ...And other, lesser things.
Still, I'm looking forward to tell you more about gameplay in next development post, maybe it will be with video record.
Have a nice day, au revoir!

Level 23
...And development of Fourberie:Westfall Story now passed a first month!
Even when topic was created on 10 November, whole map was started to develop on 6 November. While it may not be a serious date to account by, but I'm still looking forward to show you something about gameplay, especially of loot mechanics and hero mechanics.

Althought with connection difficulties and recent Dragonflight release whole development pace has been reduced, sooner than you think I'll tell you about features in Fourberie, show some indoor locations and teaser mentioned above mechanics.

Thank you for reading, stay tuned - more coming ahead.
Have a nice day, au revoir!

Level 23
...Even with all of those electricity problems, I still found time to tell you about some hero mechanics.

Continuing our development posts of "Fourberie: Westfall Story", today we will briefly discuss lockpicking and pick pocketin', also checking some indoor locations ingame and from WorldEdit.
Little spoilers ahead, watch out and take care ;)

No Lock Can Hold Your Key

Let's skip our words and head straight to our "Pick Lock" mingame feature, teasered in video below:

Transcript: Video feature of "PICK LOCK" minigame. Player use ability "PICK LOCK" on selected treasure chest and completes mathematical mini-game in order to open chest. Video shows how player managed to correctly answer question.

• Just before speaking about "PICK LOCK", you maybe saw difficulty selection dialog. Currently it's WIP, but core idea is next:
    • Pretty default "easy-normal-hard" triplet. Note that difficulty also affects your mini-games, quests and some spells;
    • "Dynamic" difficulty is tricky - it's changes itself in that content, which do frequently in map.
      For example, killing boars on "Dynamic" will result into spawning more hulkier boars. If player stops killing them, boars will slowly return to normal.
  • In Fourberie, "PICK LOCK" is based on simple math tasks with digit numbers - you have nearly unlimited time to solve them, but their difficulty determines on selected difficulty on game start;
  • All mathematical quizes and 2 of 3 button values are randomized.
    Sometimes it could result to have 2 correct answer buttons, don't worry - any of them will work;
  • If you unsuccesfuly answer question, newone will be generated on next attempt.
  • On "Dynamic" difficulty, difficulty of mini-game will increase with each attempt and decrease when player doesn't participate in it - manage your time correctly!
  • Some treasure chests could be EXPLOSIVE or ALARMING. Unsuccessful lockpick those chest types will lead to EXPLOSION or ALARM, which you should treat like PUNISHMENT;
  • There would be MIMIC CHEST, too. They will attack anyway of your lockpick result - succes or not.

Watch Your Pocket Out!

• Currently no video record for this Avanturier mechanic;
  • Player will be able to use "PICK POCKET" on any humanoid creature, that is neutral or enemy towards him. Player can steal from his bandit clan too, but will if they catch you…
  • If you steal sucessfully, you'll recieve some loot, which corresponds to your and target levels. Higher the enemy level, the less chance to steal from it.
  • If you steal action unsuccessful - you'll face their wrath and, maybe, other punishments like in "PICK LOCK" minigame...
  • Unit, from whom you've recently stolen something, wouldn't drop loot if it can otherwise.
  • Overtime, pockets of pick-pocket units will reset and you'll be able to receive loot/steal again from them.

Fourberie: Westfall Indoor

Transcript: Video shows an "PICK LOCK" minigame and entrance to Sentinel Hill lowground and Sentinel Hill tower top.
Some indoor areas are shown too.

Well, another video drops out! As you can see it, all indoor locations are finished up to 95%, and your mini-map restricts itself when entering indoor location.

…Seems that's all for now! Not too much, huh?
Also I'll add some landscape screenshots from WorldEdit, so you can understand current map progression state.

Thanks for reading, have a nice day and see you next time in new development progress post.
Au revoir!

Attachments

• PlayerLair&BadRailway.png
    PlayerLair&BadRailway.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • TotalMapView#2.png
    TotalMapView#2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • TownHallMainHall.png
    TownHallMainHall.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
Level 23
February has started, and so long was from last devpost. This I'll count as teasiring one, because in Februrary I'll try to show more ingame videos from Fourberie, like next one.

Another small showcase of other type of cinematics, that You'll encount in Fourberie.

In coming days I want to share with you some information about ingame mechanics, like moon circle and engineer crafting. Of course after I'll completly finish & polite.
Right now I'm focusing on finishing side quests (nearly 2/3 of them - done), after that I'll redirect myself to hero gameplay & so-on, focusing on main storyline.
That the plan for coming weeks of slow developing.

And yes, I will show you all of these, after I'll test it of course.
See you later, have a nice day.

Level 23
March - another month of development.
Nothing at particular I've done on February - mostly I was playing new releases like Hogwarts Legacy, so wasted my time to complete it on 100%.

However now I have more time to continue my development, I think, and just recenty I've decided to implement some sort of Witcher 3-like reward bet system. Player can choose how much gold he wants from quest, but questgiver will react correspondely for high/low values.
If player raises bet too high - NPC will drop dialog and pay gold in before-limit value. If player decreases it to 0 - NPC will pay minimum gold as compensation.

What do you think of it?

Level 11
From what I've seen, this look pretty good. I like some of the mechanics you are showing us. From what I've read, it's now only for Reforged graphics? I'd love if you can later on make it for Classic Mode as well.

Level 23
From what I've seen, this look pretty good. I like some of the mechanics you are showing us. From what I've read, it's now only for Reforged graphics? I'd love if you can later on make it for Classic Mode as well.
Thank you - so kind to hear words like yours.
Currently you're right - map is working for Reforged graphics, maybe after initial release I'll try to add Classic support along with localisations, however some models I use are only Reforged-ones, so two-graphic version will come after adding localisation support I think.

Level 23
Development, at least now, goes very slowly and smooth - I decided to cut down some part of storyline, even if right now I'm finishing all side quests.
Also, unlike other RPG's, in "Fourberie" you can't do main storyline & side quests at same time - when starting main quest, you'll be phased out of ingame world, like RDR-2 or GTA "missions".

It will help me to understand how I can do quests in that way, and I found it unusual yet interesting format of usual content.
What do you think of that?

Level 23
...First of main questline in "Fourberie" will be some parody on GTA, and other thief-like games. You need to steal horses, and only obstacle on your way is stablemaster. He's dangerous, yet lonely man who looks for love. And you can affect his inner being...
Creating robot-in-disguise with selectable form? Oh dear.
SPOILER_image.png

Not final interface, but I think that you've got the idea.

Level 23
...And here comes an demo version of "Fourberie"! Reforged 1.32+ only and reforged graphics too.
If someone is interested, link is in attached files. Good luck in Westfall and I hope that you'll enjoy it, but remember - it's demo.

Please, if you has played demo - tell me your impressions and suggestions, I'll gladly hear them!

Download demo

Last edited:
Level 23
Outstanding from the plot to de mechanics! Wish you'd remade dis for classic graphics.
Thank you so much! After full release I'll look for classic graphics adaptation, maybe with localisation version of course.
By the way, what can you tell in total: do you encountered some issues or something else, have suggestions? I'll kindly listen to all them!

Level 23
Recently I'd participated in @Jayborino contest - Maporino 2023!
I want to share with you part of stream, from which Jay has played my submission - Fourberie - and leaved his review.

Watch from 4:19:00

In coming days I'll tell you about hero systems, such as pick lock, engineering and talents.
Stay tuned and Light be with you.
Added my walkthrough through content that was missed on @Jayborino stream.
Played version slightly differs from maporino-one, but mostly same.
Take a seat and enjoy the video!

--
What about devdiary?
Well, take your time - soon I'll tell you all about our main hero, his mechanics and features.

Level 23
Even there are long time ago I've posted last devdiary, today I'll not tell you about main hero mechanics, sorry.
But recently (like ~1.5 weeks ago) I decided to "remake" my map landscape, changing it into more zone-unique and filling with interesting stuff. Yes, now Westfall looks less cannonical to World of Warcraft Classic image, but my thoughts was Elden Ring - even with his overused same assets, each zone has it's specific charm. Or even World of Warcraft itself - each ingame zone looks differently, but in whole picture they create very diversive world.
I called this landscape reshaping process "renovation", like builders who renovate old buildings to adapt them for new times.

Well, enough talking - let me go straight to pictures, that you'll find under spoilers cut.
Here we are:
Here how zone "Crypt" looked before - small, humble and not spooky.
Crypt 01.png

It lacks for creepy, spooky feeling, right? Well, I decided to make it halloween-like "spooky" and here we are:
Crypt 04.png
Before "renovation" it was an ruined human town, in which Adventurer could meet only wolfs and death.
Bandit & Ruined Town 01.png

I'd inspired myself by Windmill Village from Elden Ring, so I renovated this zone into something like this:
Bandit & Ruined Town 02.png
If you played World of Warcraft Classic, you know that this place is filled with Pillagers, Trappers and other low-level alliance killers.
In my map it was non-functional farmstead and you can find bandits here:
Alexston Farmstead Old.png

But now... Well, I decided to add light part of mysticism and Old-God feelings, so here we are:
Alexston Farmstead New.png
And there's more to come! I've already renovated 80% of map landscape and in coming days will finish this process.
All landscape changes will be posted in another album "Fourberie: Westfall Story", which I'd created today.

Thank you for reading, keep in touch for next diary - see you later.

Level 23
More than week after, and here I'm with new "Fourberie" Development Diary.
Today we will talk, at first, about completing map landscape renovation process, and then - hero talents and gameplay.

Renovation Comes to End

In past weeks I was pretty occupied (and now too) with some irl tasks, so I decided to relax current development and do something like landscape. Day after day, Westfall was re-imaginated and personally, I would say - in good way.
Here some example of final map location renovation - remaked famous Sentinel Hill in Westfall into something, which can be called "alliance keep".
Sentinells Hill Old.png
Sentinells Hill New.png

(click on image to expand it)
More images from current "Fourberie" landscape you can find in specialy-created album, link: Renovating Westfall.

Adventure Time!

Here we are.
After watching @Jayborino stream for his MAPORINO 2023! Showcasing Event, I thought - what if hero would even more simple?
And I've created next hero progression template:
Statistic:
Statistics.png

• Contains all useful information for player: amount of his engineering resources, pick lock-related items and skill level;
  • You will have to level only 2 skills: security for unlocking more complex locks, and engineering - for crafting more complex crafts;
  • What about other values? Well, I'll tell you about "Wealth & Bounty" system in next development diary.
Spell Panel & Talent Selection
Spell Panel.png
TalentSelection01.png
TalentSelection02.png

• Player will be able to use 4 hero spells, which are progressively unlocks on specific levels;
  • Their spellpower are matched to hero level, so player will feel his power while using his hero abilities, no underwaging!
  • Sometimes player will be offered to selected 1 of 3 talents for his hero. Talents are passive bonuses, mostly enchancing hero abilities. If you forgot to choose talent when you can, don't worry - next talent row would be enabled after choosing previous one.
Adventurer Backpack Artifacts
BackpackItems.png

• In addition to talents, your hero can find 7 special passive bonuses - "Artifacts";
  • Artitfacts, in contrast to talents, mostly covers your non-hero abilities like "pick lock" or "engineering". Also they can empower your allies, tweak some ingame mechanics and more!
  • Each artifact have it's own requirement tag, so player will understand from where and how he can get it;
  • Artifacts aren't items in normal way - they aren't holding inventory slot and will give you permanent effect after unlocking, listed in your special hero "backpack";
  • Also "backpack" have 6 additional inventory slots.

...And thats all for today's development diary.
Please, if you have questions - write them down below, and I'll gladly answer them. If you have suggestions - write them below too!
Next devdiary will be released on next week, I guess, if nothing goes wrong.

Level 23
...I should say next - sorry for delay. I thought that I can write it on 5-6 June, but life has intervented with her life problems.
Well, let's speak straight about new devdiary theme: Story and Gameplay.
I'll mention revision of gameplay style, usage of AI to increase storydive for players, and other things.

Storydriver Machine & Path it Takes

• With finishing map re-design, I felt myself empty - all work I'd done for Maporino version now outdated, and I need to change it. Especially plot, characters, their personas and their feelings - whole storyline was revised. Mostly our story driver remained same - we're participating in creation Defias Brotherhood, but deeds and actions we do were changed.
  • Now map is story-driven cRPG map, focused to showcase specific part of Warcraft history.
  • In gameplay perspective, I want to experement with game design - like dozen of other RPG both in Warcraft or not, I like concept of open world. However it became lamer with each open-world AAA game releases, and really small amount of linear-design games released today. I don't think that linear-design is outdated, and after looking into how I'd remaded my landscape, I decided to do next:
  • Make whole map "LINEAR" - so no open world, no free path to do, only following path which story shows. In fact, does it really different from most "open-world" games, where you still follow railroad of story?
  • About optional quests - I'm still finishing writting main plot, but I think that map wouldn't have any optional quests, instead having messagies, collectables and other things that help player learn more about Westfall before war, during Horde occupation, and after liberation.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
  1. Easier to naviage for developer - you don't need to account dozen of events at same time, all that you need will happen during current scene and nothing else;
  2. Old School - Completed some linear-designed games like Alan Wake inspired me to take something from old school games, and make world feel concentrated, not big yet empty, as I done in "Pearl of Azshara";
  3. Player focus - player, IMO, will be easy to focus himself on current objective, seeing all avaliable opportinuties in playable area. It makes world have more deeper interaction, than most of "open-world" games have;
Cons:
  1. Limits your time - entered interesting zone? Sorry, you cant visit it again - it feels like playing in game's demo-version: 15 minutes and pay for remain. However I'll try to use locations at least 2-3 times, especially interesting looking ones;
  2. Linear story with linear choices - it's not an issue, but let's imagine next: in "open-world" game you've a dozen of railroads with different ends, and 1 railroad with rail angles, that resembles main story. But in linear-world game you've corridor with different amount of paths, that still lead either to deadend, either to story end.
  3. Reliable replaying - I consider it low-priority, because it's story map - linear games aren't have many variants to show after completing game, you're already know how main plot goes. This problem applies to "open-world" / "non-linear" games - "non-linear" are only in words.

AI?

• Well, I already had used Stable Diffusion models to generate some girl portraits for one specific quest moment, so I'll use them more.
  • I'm looking forward to use ElvenLabs & other AI voice-line models to create proper experience for player. I'll post some samples here and in discord channel, when I'll start doing them;
  • ChatGPT/Novel AI - really helpful ones, but I think that story and dialogs I can write myself. I'll use grammar correction AI to ensure quality of written text.

After all, that's all what I can say.
In last days of June I'll finish main storyline developing (on paper), and start transmissing it into map triggers & scripts.
I want to release Fourberie before August, and I think that I can do it.

What about next devdiaries? Well, when I'd have news - I'll gladly share them with you!
Thank you for reading, I wish you good day/night!
See you later!

Level 23

...This is not devdiary, however I wanted to share it with you.
Althought I wouldn't release "Fourberie" in late July, but currently I'm finished with neccessary preperations (storyplot, dialogs, etc) and now I want to voiceline WHOLE map using AI.

There are sample voices for narrator, "Medivh", It's not same as Warcraft Medivh, however I like how it sounds.

Level 23
View attachment 441766
View attachment 441767
View attachment 441768

...This is not devdiary, however I wanted to share it with you.
Althought I wouldn't release "Fourberie" in late July, but currently I'm finished with neccessary preperations (storyplot, dialogs, etc) and now I want to voiceline WHOLE map using AI.

There are sample voices for narrator, "Medivh", It's not same as Warcraft Medivh, however I like how it sounds.

…now I want to voiceline WHOLE map using AI.

Now there's a problem.
For current state, I can say that using multiply accounts for ElevenLabs leads to IP-ban (for 100 years). Yes, I'm wasted 1$ to buy their "Starter" package, which includes 30k chars quota. However it's not high amount for "Fourberie" - at least 2 characters have alot of phrases.

Right now, sadly, I'm looking forward to initially release map without voicelines and then, by some time later - release it with voicelines.
It would be nice bonus and AI voicelining is just nice bonus to map, because my main feature is linear storyplot and usage of other features like frames, generated art, etc.
Yes, I'm already voiced atleast 1/5 of main characters for Fourberie, but times change.
I want to deal with Fourberie and finally release it.

Level 23
Today's development post will be short, but descriptive about concluded work during this time.
It's slow and steady process that I want to speed up, however I will say truth - I'm just burned out of this mess IRL and developing process.
In terms of content, currently I've completed nearly 10% of map new content. At map is divided into 6 story chapters, right now I'm finishing Chapter 1 and starting Chapter 2.
However I don't want to share my whining more, so let's head up to next:

Comics? In my Warcraft 3 Reforged?

Yes.
  • During walkthrough of "Fourberie", you will see many items that showcase to you an specific images with texts on it or with text boxes nearby;
  • My goal to combine both AI generative artworks and normal thematical artworks with Reforged Frames, so it will look like next:
  • 1692644785901.png
  • Also another example: when your hero find item "FAMILY PHOTO", you can use item and see actual photo, not some text or etc, framed and slightly enchanced. And player will find at least 5-6 items like that, that's not too much, but not too low.
  • Ah, and in post media I've added more images, that you'll see during walkthrough - I wouldn't tell you when, that will remain mystery until release.

Nano-machines Energo-Plasmids, son!

• Linear game needs linear progression, so your hero will find different energo-plasmids - specific skills, which combines both magic and engineering. They were invented by union of skillfull gnomes of Gnomeregan and Dalaran mages, who wanted to allow non-magical users access spark of Azerothian magical elements.
  • Your hero will access them from nearly beginning of Chapter 1, and will be able to level up them with using special Energon resource in special magazines or, maybe, in special menu. In coming days I'll show you some of them, along with other weapon system.
  • And before I'll finish devdiary, I want to thank @Tasyen for his SpellView system, that will allow player to see all skills that enemy have by simply clicking on it.
  • 1692646013015.png

Progress Saved!

• Last but not merely unimportant is automatical checkpoint saving. "Fourberie" will save your progress, and you'll be able to quickly re-load from checkpoint. Yes, it maybe uncomfortable but I'm not restricting you from manual saving, just this feature for those, who sometimes forget about it ;)

Today's diary isn't big one, but I'm think that you, dear reader, will find something interesting in it.
Thank you for reading, I wish you good mood, nice days and good luck!
And I'm going back, back to WorldEdit.

Attachments

• 649a0380-ecc1-4420-8890-2ddba324776d.jpg
    649a0380-ecc1-4420-8890-2ddba324776d.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 49faf3f9-5384-4073-8efd-1d3cb65287de.jpg
    49faf3f9-5384-4073-8efd-1d3cb65287de.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 5
  • 419e1f33-caa0-4f95-aec8-372704e137ac.jpg
    419e1f33-caa0-4f95-aec8-372704e137ac.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 379130b0-9bb1-448e-b90b-fa6b4993a5b8.jpg
    379130b0-9bb1-448e-b90b-fa6b4993a5b8.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 490f9954-c9a9-48ca-b4f4-d0f387c8498b-transformed.jpeg
    490f9954-c9a9-48ca-b4f4-d0f387c8498b-transformed.jpeg
    558.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 1692644677916.png
    1692644677916.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
Level 23
Slightly updated the main post with new (old) screenshots, nothing particular. In terms of development - yeah, nothing valuable to report. Maybe I can tell that I've finished Chapter 1 & Chapter 2 for 100% and 90%, and working on Chapter 3.
I don't think that I'll finish this map until October, but surprises happen.

Level 23
October in the past, for now, working goes very slowly. Maybe I'll cut down my plans and focus on adding more gameplay/story than frames, albeit they aren't hard to implement.
I want to bring You some news, but there's a little one.

From 6 Story Chapters (maybe you didn't know, but the map is divided into 6 "chapters" of story or main quests), I've completed the following:
  • Chapter 1;
  • Chapter 2;
  • Chapter 3 at 60%;
  • Chapter 6 at 75%;

Remained:
  • Chapter 4;
  • Chapter 5.

This completed work is mostly scripting story triggers, ignoring monsters/boss fights/puzzles, and other gameplay features.
Yes, there is work to be done, and I want to pull over my laziness and complete Fourberie once and for all.
And many real-life problems and tasks right now, but I know - I can be better.

For teaser: expect something about gameplay style and possible puzzles on next week.
Spoiler: don't touch candle!

Attachments

• Hero_Family_3.jpg
    Hero_Family_3.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 7
Level 23
Imagine writing a long development post only to get its content deleted when reloading the page, ugh :(

Hello there, dear HIVE traveler and dear reader.
Today I'll try to be short and clear - but whom I'm trying to deceive. You know me - I like to write a lot of "water text", so why I should suddenly break up this tradition right now?
But before we speak about our gameplay and puzzles, let me clarify something about my current development pace and map release deadline.

What about Deadline?

Right now, as a humble Ukrainian, I feel tired and depressed.
But this is not a reason why this map develops slowly. Well, this is one of the reasons, but only one of many.

Currently, I'm finishing dealing with real-life problems and overcoming some difficult situations, so map development has gone away to be a secondary hobby. And I'm wasting my time playing or watching recent releases like Baldurs Gate 3 or Alan Wake 2 (which I had waited for a long time), so I'm rather out of developing mana.
It would be a miracle, if I manage to release this map in the last week of December, just as your New Year present. But I'm myself seeing its release on next year starting month, like January and February. This doesn't states that now I'll do nothing and start work in the middle of December. I'm already doing nothing, you know? :)

In short: the map will be released someday. And I'll try to announce that, no sudden drops.

Welcome to Westfall

MainMenuWIP.png
SettingsWIP.png

WIP: Concept Images of Map Configuration Menu
  • When you first launch the Fourberie map, after loading the screen and some preparation, You'll see something that I decided to name as Map Configuration Menu. It will probably look like the menu from the left screenshot.
  • This Map Configuration Menu consists of 3 pressable elements:
    • If you don't want to mess up with difficulty or setting up the game, just smash the "Start / Enter Westfall" button and watch the starting cinematics!
    • You can choose your difficulty from 3 available: easy, normal, and hard. Without selecting you'll play on normal as default. More about difficulties You'll learn in coming development diaries;
    • Settings? This is kinda unusual for an RPG map, but you can toggle additional details, or even unlock special date-related content.
      Did you know that you can access your computer calendar date with Warcraft 3, and use it for your logical operations?
      No?
      Now you know it!
      Just imagine - instead of releasing different map versions for special holidays, you can tweak content for them with a single map - it will be automatically loaded if you develop this feature.
    • However, You should know that "Settings" are subject to change, so, maybe the calendar wouldn't work... But in the coming days, I'll share my tests about that LUA feature.
  • This menu won't be called when you load up your saved game.

Brotherhood

• Listen, in many RPGs in Warcraft or other games, we play as a single hero. Fourberie isn't either: playing as a mechanic, powered with devices and plasmids, you will be unstoppable. Or not. Depends on difficulty.
  • However, in some story chapters, You'll be followed by a companion hero: controllable by both the player and AI. It will use a basic "share units" feature, so you can control it and AI will control it when you don't want to. It will be easily toggleable with one UI script;
  • This secondary hero won't die, won't take damage from you, reacts to world events, and can even suggest to You what to select in choosable cinematic events!
  • You can ignore him, anyway.
  • Or he will ignore You.

Puzzles?

• Sorry, dear reader, but now in-game footage for now.
  • In the Story variant: Westfall is a land of contrasts, where You can find plenty of different cultures melting in the culture plot: from murlocs up to witches, Westfall will impress You with its variety and diversity.
  • In the GamePlay variant: if You have played any point-and-click quests or played something like Totem Tribe - You'll find familiar concepts. Placing gems in the right place, clicking on musical obelisks in the right order, answering 7 questions of hideous graveyard nerubian, and even playing a Hangman-styled Murloc language minigame!
  • Text mini-games will be completed with custom UI usage!
  • Some puzzles or riddles will have a hint button, so don't worry if You feel yourself lost - just press it.
  • And no ARCADE BOSS BATTLES. Not here, not today - I'll save it for the Call of the Swarm campaign :D

REVIEW

• All of the listed ideas are high WIP - I won't lie if I tell you that most of them were brainstormed yesterday and even today, so I don't have proper in-game realizations to show them up right now.
  • However, I've my channel on @youtube: , and @Discord: Join the Call of the Swarm Discord Server!. Subscribe to the channel, if you want, and join Discord if you want - in the coming development weeks, I'll try to post something there before posting it here, on HIVE!
  • Next Development Diary would feature some prominent story characters, don't worry - no spoilers ahead.

Thank You for your reading, I wish You a happy day.
Good Luck Have Fun

Sincerely, Hush.

Last edited:

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
But then they pop in and out, when fog of war is used. Unless you share their vision with all players, which might not be wanted.
I was asking myself earlier, how to force teamcolor on destructibles.
but buildings in general retain their uhhh "artifact" in fog of war, no? either you can make them a unit then rotate them then turn them back into a buillding or set their rotation to -1

Level 21
That actually works very well.
I have almost forgotten about the ability to turn units into buildings!
+1