• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

xbox one or playstation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
i personally have both but i prefer the xbox one because i can use wired controllers. both consoles does have controllers that can switch though between wired and wireless.(wired when connected by cable and wireless without cable.) the pc supports the dual shock 4 better than the xbox one controller though. the hardware of the playstation 4 is better. why the size differense?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
the pc supports the dual shock 4 better than the xbox one controller though.
Windows 10 natively supports all Xbox One controllers fully. The reason Windows Vista and 7 do not is because they fell out of active support around the same time Xbox One was released. For Windows 7 and 8 you are giving a free opportunity to fix this for a year.

the hardware of the playstation 4 is better
Memory bandwidth of PS4 is better so Xbox1 has larger cache to compensate. PS4 has more shader elements since shader elements were converted into cache on Xbox1. Memory quantity of both consoles is so large there is practically no difference. Processors are identical between consoles, with Xbox1 winning on smaller data sets due to cache and PS4 on larger data sets due to memory bandwidth. Licencing might play a more dominant role in processor performance than hardware with Xbox1 losing out initially due to Kinetic (or whatever that thing was called).

Both consoles use (ed) AMD Mantel technology for graphics meaning they could out perform even the most powerful PCs for some types of graphics (not AMD card and not running Mantel compatible product). This has changed with Windows 10 and DirectX 12 which now Xbox1 and PC (Windows) use allowing them to achieve similar graphical performance. PS4 still uses Mantel but that fundamentally exposes what D3D12 does. There is/will be an OpenGL modification which adds similar features to what Direct3D12 did and this will very likely be ported to the PS4 in some form.

The differences between the two is minor. Moth can have amazing quality games in full HD. Too bad developers instead opt to compromise frame rates or resolutions just to get more pixels or save on optimizations.

Xbox1 has backwards compatibility thanks to Microsoft's clever software engineering (easy to port Xbox360 to Xbox1). PS4 has no such compatibility possible due to PS3 using a distributed programming model (1 big, many small) rather than Xbox360's classic approach (3 big) which is what both the PS4 and Xbox1 use. Xbox1 might be able to run PC games down the line (including steam games?) further expanding you library, PS4 has no such feature.

Level 21
the strongest buildable pc at the moment can have about twice the processing power and much more graphics power as well as more memory so the pc outperforms both. dual shock 4 works perfectly in vista while the xbox one controller does not work in windows 7 because of a lack of drivers. the 1,6 ghz processor of the playstation can clock up to 2 ghz while the 1,7 ghz processor of the xbox one underclocks instead. xbox 360 games runs slightly worse on the xbox one than on the xbox 360. (i have tested this myself with perfect dark zero.) you have not even mentioned the cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.