• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Xbox 360 through GFX Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Soooo what I want to do is run my Xbox 360 on my PC monitor, taking advantage of my awesome 22 inch monitor, and my crazy 280 watt 5.1 surround sound.

So the 360 has an HDMI out as well as a Component/Red-White-Yellow out. My video card has dual DVI, so I figure I can switch between them using it. It's a Diamond Radeon Hd2600 XT btw.

So, what i'm looking at is HDMI to DVI. Is this the right path? HDMI will carry over audio right? I know my videocard supports HDMI audio or some such.

Amazon says: Built-in HDMI with Multi-channel 5.1 surround audio

Which leads me to believe that an HDMI to DVI cable will work fine right?

Level 15
Well, first off, Red-white-yellow is not component. It's composite (yellow) and stereo audio (red and white). :wink:

As for your question: I don't think DVI is made to carry an audio signal. It's purely for digital video, although that's not to say one couldn't run audio through the cable, it's just not generally supported.

Your best bet is to either use a receiver or switching unit that can split and decode the audio signal from HDMI or use an optical/coaxial digital output from a cable such as this one: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hdmiavcable/
Note: this still requires a decoding unit of some sort, although some higher-end computer speaker systems do have a DolbyDigital/DTS decoder onboard.

EDIT: You can also run VGA over analog RGB: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

Level 36
Hmmm... considering that ATi offers an HDMI to DVI adapter specifically for my videocard, I figure an HDMI to DVI solution should work. And I know that it offers some sort of sound option, because my Video Card has a sound driver built into it. I just can't use it because the only thing that I can plug into the back is DVI.

EDIT: Silly me, I forgot that the DVI ports on the back of my video card are DVI OUT not DVI IN >.>

VGA over Analog RGB it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.