• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Xbox 360 V PS3

What is better Xbox 360 slim or PS3 slim

• XBOX ALL THE WAY

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • well they are both the same

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • PS3 ALL THE WAY

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
To be honest i ahve fights over what is better Xbox or PS3. so i think i should open a poll abut it.
MY REVIEW---
XBOX 360
-Offers way more online features like sky,over movies,zune,the store and discounts
-the map packs are much more cheaper
-Xbox has Gears of War
-I think COD is more excluesive on xbox (this is main disscusion)
-The remotes have vibration witch adds more realistic features
-Kinect is much better than there wand thing:vw_wtf:(idk name)
-bigger hard drive
-much better looking remote the ps3 remote looks like the the psp visa to me its very uggly
--------PS3----------
-Much better graphics
-free online
-God of war
(i proberly missed alot for PS3 because i not very into it but i do ply it and i don't like how the remote does not vibrate)
-------------------------------------------

PS: do not argue to much in here

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
--------PS3----------
-Much better graphics
This is a lie sold by Sony to hide the fact that their console is a joke.

Memory
PS3 - 256 MB dedicated video, 256 MB dedicated RAM
360 - 512 MB shared in an intigrated configuration
360 wins hands down because virtually no game uses the full 256 MB RAM the PS3 has. The spare memory in the 360 can be allocated to better graphics (higher resolution textures) without any performance penalty. Exceeding the 256 MB decdicated video memory in the PS3 totally smashes the graphic system I/O bandwidth and degrades graphic memory performance to the point that it is not fesible for prolonged use (outside of the occasional peek load). The result is most PS3 versions of multi console games have to use lower resolution textures or enforce higher real time texture compression.

Processor
PS3 - Cell processor with disabled processing elements for yeild and dedicated processing element for OS. Only 1 single powerful processing element and many smaller lesspowerful processing elements.
360 - Cell based processor consisting of 3 main processing elements from the Cell with additional hyperthreading like technology. 3 powerful processing elements with hyperthreading like technology allowing for reduced cycle wastage.
Tie - Although the 360 has fewer, it has strong and although the PS3 has weaker it has more. The result is they perform the same on average when gaming. The 360 wins in games with focuse on few threads with high load due to it being able to provide more effort to single threads (such as most games). The PS3 wins in games which rely on heavy parallelisim where thread load is highly scaleable and no single thread requires a lot of effort (such as complex physics models which only PS3 platform only and some PC games use). A winner can not be decided as although the 360 is easier to program for and performs better on many cross platform games the difference is so minimal it accounts to situational dropped frames and most games are bottleknecked by graphics long before CPU is a problem.

Graphics
PS3 - Performance Nvidia Geforce 7 GPU enhanced and positioned for slightly more performance than its desktop counterparts.
360 - Highly intigrated custom designed AMD (at the time ATI) GPU system which uses technology used one some of their more modern desktop GPUs (ones released after the Geforce 7). Although computationally slower than its PS3 counterpart, it makes up for it with its more intigrated nature allowing for extreem optimizations.
The 360 wins this round but barely. Most crossplatform games look better on the 360 than on the PS3 including many ones designed on the PS3 due to optimizations such as free full scene anti-aliasing (which is far too computationally intensive to use on the PS3). The PS3 however does have grunt GPU performance allowing it to handle much more complex scenes (more geometry) than the 360 but this is only exploited by PS3 dedicated games or more modern PC games.

Game Medium
PS3 - Full blu-ray player
360 - Standard DVD
PS3 wins hands down. Although its largly a wholo victory as no PS3 game truely exploits the extra space blu-ray offers as they generally use excessive caputed multimedia (lowcompressed audio / 1080p cutscenes) or fill the remaining space with rereleases of old games. Playing blu-ray movies I can see as an advantage but that is losing its value as player price decreases.

Level 22
PS3 for me. I like Sony's first/second party titles, I like Blu-ray, I like not paying for my own internet, and the majority of Xbox 360 exclusives are also available on the PC. Don't care about graphical differences between the two consoles. They're minimal. Some look better on the PS3, some on the Xbox. Depends on what console the development started, I guess.

I also can't stand the ugly green Xbox covers. :I

Neither.

I'm a Wii person.

kill-it-with-fire.jpg

Level 34
For reference:I own a 360, PS2, and PC.

I think it all comes down to exclusives when picking which console to buy for gaming. If you don't care about exclusives, I don't see why you'd pick the 360 when the PS3 has Blue Ray.

I'd be interested to know which consoles people own, before I read their comments. I'm inclined to think that people will defend the console they own, to affirm that they purchased the "right" one.

Also, I'm not sure about the new 360s, but mine sounds like a jet. Definitely not a selling point.

Level 15
Owned them both! Both of them are great, and have their flaws. I can't really decide which is better or worse. Although I only find few 360 exclusives that gained much popularity and greatness than PS3's. Games like Halo, Gears of War and Fable, while other exclusives like Crackdown, Alan Wake (Its great, but not popular), and so on are not as popular like the PS3 side. PS3 have Resistance, Killzone, God of War, Little Big Planet, and InFamous.

Xbox Live provides better and faster online services, though if your willing to pay for it. PSN is free and its online play is smooth though not as great like the 360.

It'll take me forever to list PROS and CONS, so my vote would be both of them.

Level 6
If this was a world where every game was multiplatform I'd pick PC because of potential mod support and because it's more convenient for me (since I already use the PC often). Finally another thing is backing up saves is much easier (certain PS3 games [not sure about 360] saves are protected and can't be backed up unless you [for PS3 at least] subscribe to Playstation Plus and upload it to their service).

Though if I had to chose, I'd pick PS3 because I'm used to their stuff (controller for example).

Level 11
Ps3 mainly because the PSN feature is free and it also serves as a top-class blu-ray player.. 3 years ago we bought this panasonic blu ray player cause it was $100 cheaper but had 5* reviews... but when i compared both the ps3 and the blu-ray player, the ps3 has significantly less loading time, and u can wirelessly update it rather then ethernet cord only access...

as for ps3 exclusives, i loved MGS4, Rachet & Clank : A Crack in Time, and Uncharted 2, some of the best games i ever played.

Only reason i would acquire a 360 is because most of my friends have one

Level 3
PS3's games take longer to load, and I find the idea of installing a game onto a console to be ludicrous.

The graphics look about the same to me.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
PS3's games take longer to load, and I find the idea of installing a game onto a console to be ludicrous.
It makes a huge difference. A hard-disk is multiple times faster than a disc drive. Running games from the hard disk really reduces loading times to a near trivial level. I always full install my 360 games so I do not ever worry about loading times. Even if it is a pain (as I can only have 1 installed game at any time) it is worth the wait. What I lose in about 5-7 minutes installing I gain back with 5-7 second load screens instead of 15-30 second ones.

The idea of people expecting consoles to run discs without installation and not have bad load times is ludicrous...

Em!

Em!

Level 25
I am an xbox guy, i have been in this kind of conversation plenty of times. They´re both unique consoles in they´re own way but what really "grinds my gear" is how greedy sony can be.
I was a ps2 guy and i missed the chance to buy that limited edition of ps3 which could have played both ps2 games and ps3, they discontinued that ver...why?

Cause they can still sell ps2 consoles. Greed is good, right?

So i thought, fuck that man. I am buying something new, i got xbox360. Loved the controls man, loved the marketplace, loved online features, loved the console. Don´t regret my choice.

When i tested ps3 i found the controls to be small, awkward and like they were made for children but you get used to it, i guess. I did not.

There are pro´s and cons to each consoles. I wish i could play some of the games coming out exclusively for ps3 but that feeling never kept me awake at night because somehow i kept being entertained by the games currently available for xbox360.
Funny thing is that most games that were exclusive for ps3 are being ported into 360 compatible games now.

Also as for graphics....Most games that were made for 360, which are almost every american game out there, do not utilize the full potential of the ps3 graphics engine, hell not a lot of games do that, even the ones made for ps3, so the graphics being better in ps3 does not really matter a lot if it matters at all.

On a side note; Blue Ray will not replace dvd. In a few years they will come with something better than blue ray, then we´ll see what happens.
Blue ray is like beta max, even though beta max was better than vhs, vhs won due to popularity and wide movie selection.

Level 22
Why on earth would you need to update a blu-ray player... Next to maybe once a year or so after it has been released.

So you don't have to buy another Blu-ray player each time a new feature is released.

On a side note; Blue Ray will not replace dvd.

Hm...? Of course Blu-ray will replace DVD. What makes you think it won't?

In a few years they will come with something better than blue ray, then we´ll see what happens.

Then the newer and better format will replace Blu-ray. The new format replaces the old format, that's how it's always been. It's not complicated really. :I

Em!

Em!

Level 25
.Hm...? Of course Blu-ray will replace DVD. What makes you think it won't?

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/rep...short-of-expectations-even-as-prices-decline/

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2008/05/14/blu-ray-vs-dvd-the-new-format-war/

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/the-blu-ray-vs-dvd-view-off/

http://news.cnet.com/is-dvd-movie-pricing-holding-blu-ray-back/

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/129058.html

Sources like these.

Then the newer and better format will replace Blu-ray. The new format replaces the old format, that's how it's always been. It's not complicated really.

Like i said before, beta max was superior to vhs in quality but vhs won.
Cheap quantity, over expensive quality, thats what the average consumers go for.
It is not complex as you said.

Anyway we are offtopic, i apologize.
Xbox ftw.

Level 22

Most of those sources are years old (2008-2009), and one of them is about Blu-ray versus HD-DVD (it's a source from 2005!). The only 2011 source you posted is not even about Blu-ray vs DVD, but the home video business in general. Nothing in there that tells me Blu-ray won't replace DVD.
The Beta vs VHS thing is irrelevant. Beta and VHS are same gen. DVD and Blu-ray aren't. The newer gen ALWAYS replaces the older gen, no exceptions. To think Blu-ray won't replace DVD is just crazy.
I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

Em!

Em!

Level 25
Most of those sources are years old (2008-2009), and one of them is about Blu-ray versus HD-DVD (it's a source from 2005!). The only 2011 source you posted is not even about Blu-ray vs DVD, but the home video business in general. Nothing in there that tells me Blu-ray won't replace DVD.
The Beta vs VHS thing is irrelevant. Beta and VHS are same gen. DVD and Blu-ray aren't. The newer gen ALWAYS replaces the older gen, no exceptions. To think Blu-ray won't replace DVD is just crazy.
I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

Blu-Ray wont replace dvd. Dont see it happening.

Sorry about the articles, they were the first five that popped up when i googled and i quickly scanned through them. Outdated does not matter "never heard of articles that have an expiration timer.", those articles whom apply to this conversation says it all. There is just no way Blu Ray will replace dvd.

Last edited:
Level 22
Blu-Ray wont replace dvd. Dont see it happening.

Sorry about the articles, they were the first five that popped up when i googled and i quickly scanned through them. Outdated does not matter "never heard of articles that have an expiration timer.", those articles whom apply to this conversation says it all. There is just no way Blu Ray will replace dvd.

Because Blu-ray sales were disappointing 3-4 years ago? That's why you think Blu-ray won't replace DVD?

Level 11
Why on earth would you need to update a blu-ray player... Next to maybe once a year or so after it has been released.

this is a late reply, but u need to update the blu-ray player because newer blu-rays seem to have more data then the older or current blu-rays and i would think upcoming blu-ray will just get better,

meaning that my non-updated blu-ray player cant even play the newer blu-rays.. and the loading time for every blu-ray is significantly greater on the blu-ray player than on the ps3...

another good feature i love on the ps3 concerning blu-rays is its memory... even if i remove disc from the ps3 and watch a different movie, it would still know the exact position from where i paused that previous movie, and can watch it from there... im not sure if other blu-ray players do this... but this is very helpful for me, for when i watch TV series (DVD/Blu-ray Collection)

EDIT: Seeing how this thread is going i'm just gonna say that i have no intention to get in an argument about the 360 vs ps3, main reason i like ps3 better then 360 is because i don't own a 360, and don't have any intentions on buying one either.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
and the loading time for every blu-ray is significantly greater on the blu-ray player than on the ps3...
This is based on how fast the drive reads them. I am sure there must be players with a faster drive than the PS3 as the PS3 was not given a very fast one.

another good feature i love on the ps3 concerning blu-rays is its memory... even if i remove disc from the ps3 and watch a different movie, it would still know the exact position from where i paused that previous movie, and can watch it from there... im not sure if other blu-ray players do this... but this is very helpful for me, for when i watch TV series (DVD/Blu-ray Collection)
Some players have a system simlar to this. It however is largly pointless if blu-rays still have a chapter system like DVDs where you can quickly get to the last episode you need to watch.

Level 6
Personally I have a Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, (broken) PS2, and a PC. I have neither of these. I think because of the familiarity with the Play Station and its games I would be inclined to think the PS3 is the better system, but that may just be the cheapness in me with the free internet that it offers. I think if I was going to buy one of the two I would go with the 360 though, because where I live everyone has a 360. I think friends would play a large role in this poll. The system you play the most (most likely the one your friends play) will likely be the system you pick in this poll. Which system do I have the most fun on? is the question that many would respond to, rather than... Which system is physically better? Plus you have to look at the fact that it is asking about the slims versions of the 360 and the PS3. How many people actually have the slim versions? Or have even used them once?

Level 11
This is based on how fast the drive reads them. I am sure there must be players with a faster drive than the PS3 as the PS3 was not given a very fast one.

Actually the ps3 seems to play blu-rays instantly with no loading time....

and with the 5* rated Panasonic blu-ray player... it took "Toy Story 3" about 4 minutes just to get to the main menu

i honestly cant see how the ps3 doesn't have a fast drive, unless you can prove me otherwise... cause this is comming from some1 who owns 2 blu-ray player (one we bought cause it was $100 cheaper (5* rated panasonic) the other was given to us by my grandmother) and 2 ps3's (one for our theater room, and one in my room)

but the time we got these blu-ray players were obviously years ago, and by now there probably are better blu-ray players...maybe...

Level 6
My opinion is that playstation and xbox are too similiar. Wii is different enough, thats why there has been sold (26.4.2011) 86,01 million wiis, 53,1 million xboxes and 49,5 million pses. Lol, playing with remotes... So I choose "they are both the same".

Status
Not open for further replies.