• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sharpshooter Online (First Person Shooter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Sharpshooter Online FPS [Changing to Zombies]

Sharpshooter Online [BETA]

Sharpshooter Online is a team based first person shooter capable of being played with friends. Arrow keys are treated as if using a joystick rather than a mouse for aiming. Experience sharpshooting from a rifleman's eye in this remote mountain range war zone. Dominate your opponents by blending in with your environment and snipe them down one by one from extreme ranges. May the strongest team win, game ends after one team reaches 25 or 50 kills.

previewjr3.jpg

Download
Sharpshooter Online Beta v1.1

Created by xXx-Tricky-xXx, additional credit to Uareanoob, Moronicizer, and Azur3wrath for all of their helpful contributions to the creation of this map.​

Remember to vote, rate this map if you like it!

Important (Read First):

I thought I might bring more attention to this map so I posted a thread here in the development section. I had abandoned this specific map for a new one based on shotguns and close quarter combat, while the new map has many new improvements it was taking far too long to finish considering I dont have alot of free time anymore so I may simply go back to this map and redo a large majority of it. A few differences that may occur if I was to continue this, is the implement of strafing and WASD being used to rotate by tapping and the frame rate issue that has been resolved in the other map.

So I post this here to get hopefully a much larger response to this map and see whether or not it will be worth the time to continue revamping this current map. It is fully playable online if hosted directly through List Checker with minimal delay.​

• [*]It is also recommended host use List Checker, Dota Client, or any type of third party Lan program for better response time.

Features:

• Fully functional movement system via 'Arrow Keys'.
  • Complete scope view rotation via 'Arrow Keys'.
  • Dynamic shooting of head, chest, and leg body detection.
  • Destructible environment including barrels, trees, and walls.
  • Misc abilities such as knife, grenade, and sprint.

Additional Information:

• Arrow keys will move you around as well as rotate you while aiming.
  • To shoot press (T), but make sure you have remaining ammunition.
  • When you run out of ammunition the reload ability will appear. By pressing (R), you will begin reloading your weapon.
  • Pressing (S) will enable you to move faster until pressed again or when your breath runs out below your health.
  • When someone is too close to shoot, knife them! By pressing (E), you will attempt a fast and painful slash.
  • To throw a grenade, press (G), but remember you only have a few. Grenades are very useful for destroying building walls as well as players.
  • The aim feature is a magnified scope that appears when you press (A). You will not be able to move, but you can simply exit the mode by pressing (A) again.
  • The sensitivity control with the given camera icon will increase or decrease your aiming sensitivity. By first pressing (Q), three abilities slow(Q), medium(W), and fast(E) are given. These may be simultaneously pressed to prevent interruption of tweaking. Combinations are as followed: (Q-Q), (Q-W), (Q-E).
Most of all, have fun... It may be hard at first, but once you get the hang of the controls it gets easier.

Screenshots:

28368406dt8.jpg
79819351nf6.jpg

69142978pr4.jpg
37816407tq5.jpg

54697642tz4.jpg
48297434qt6.jpg

77567798bb5.jpg

Attachments

• Sharpshooter Online Beta v1.1.w3x
    2.5 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Level 9
Holy crap sack....
The knifing is so cool... What the fuck?
This is so win...

+rep for fucking insanity.

Level 15
This game is pwnage.
I tested it when I saw the thread on TheHelper.net and it was AWESOME!
However, its stupid to see all the cool guns and whatever and find out that the person holding it is just a stupid rifleman -_-.
Also, there is only sniper rifle yes? I am not sure cos I never really looked much into the map so I might have missed some stuff.
Just a comment but knifing people is too quick in this game, its seemingly impossible for anyone to keep his sniper rifle, whip out a knife and stab the guy in like, 1 second.
Finally, why do we start with a sniper rifle? Its cool but weird :p Kinda like starting a melee game with a fully built base or something.
+reps for the great map though :D

Level 8
thanks for the comments,

i am completely aware that the arrow key movement is agonizing to some and I might update it using the new movement or link a test update to see if people think its easier or harder. I still intend to update this map with different movement and redo a few things to optimize the framerate and playability that has been solved in the other map but after that I really dont know if I should continue modifying it or stop.

I would really like to get the newer map finished, even though it might take some time. It would consist of a shotgun and a sniper rifle but the hard part is coming up with an appropriate and interesting environment. There are so many scenarios possible that creation after creation I cant make up my mind which best fits this type of play. A possibility at the moment is a smaller but more detailed map that is based off a Vietnam oriented environment with alot of cover and greenery. On the other hand, theres many possibilities that would probably be even better. Creating the guns and having the map function as a whole is not too difficult but the trouble I am having is creating a good environment to go along with it.

If anyone has any suggestions please comment, it would help this project go alot faster if I were to decide on a final map scenario so that I may start terraining and making the environment and such.

thanks

Level 6
I think you really need to update your spawn system. Character respawning always appears in same spot to me. You should give him temporary invulnerability or make a completely randomized spawn system with spawns in towers and behind buildings or it's just a nightmare.

Besides that critical problem. This map rocks lol. Keep adding to it and I'll keep playing.

Level 4
RTC had a camera controled by a mouse, but the latest patch killed it, if they remake it then you should def put it into your map

Level 8
the map wont open for you because it is protected, I have let people have the unprotected version for some time now you may find on TheHelper somewhere I would have to search for the link. the spawn definitely is horrible, I will enlarge the spawn region most likely and probably an invincible period when spawning. as to RTC, even if the latest patch compressor hadnt butchered the mod, it still would most likely not work on battle net, and even if it did, it would be alot harder to use than the arrow keys. It sux, but the true fact is this is an RTS and theres not much else I can do. Changing the arrow keys to function as a forward/backward/leftstrafe/rightstrafe along with WASD will help somewhat but some may find the key tapping tedious, when I have time I will make a quick movement demo for people to test so I know whether or not its suitable.

for the time being however, I have decided to have a jungle/vietnam type of theme but it is harder than you think creating it so its not just a cluster of trees and grass. if there may be any jungle or vietnam type experts or terrainers ^_^ i could use all the help I can get.

Level 8
Sharpshooter Online v1.20a is now available for download but is not guaranteed to function 100% as it should because it is currently in the testing phase. Map is also open source meaning you may now open the map up through the editor. I have linked the test version to download for the sole purpose of getting as many people to test the map as possible to comment on any of the new changes as well as report any new bugs to be fixed.

Remember, if you plan on playing with friends online or hosting... Please host through LAN using List Checker and typing the command /hostbnet so that it will then appear online for people to join or else it will lag. If you do not know how to use LC then I would suggest doing a search or I may link or paste a guide how to use it.

Download - Here (V1.20b is latest update)

Attachments

• Sharpshooter Online v1.20b.w3x
    2.9 MB · Views: 673
Last edited:
Level 13
I don't know about the way it's programmed, but you could make it "system-like" so that the map gameplay can be easily transformed to other landscapes. So people could create custom battlefields for it and you just would have to copy the gameplay triggers into it.

Anyway this all is a lot of work and though there is no doubt that you did an awesome job in creating this, there still remains one question imho: Why should I play a WC3 based Shooter if I can play a real shooter? Sure it's a fun thing to see it done on the wc3 engine, especially for mappers, but you have to think, if it's worth all the time. On ther other hand, I think most maps that took a lot of time to get finished suffer from this problem.

So: great work, gonna check it out soon.

Level 8
ill try it when i can but for ideas for terrain, id say play or watch videos of war games and look how they made everything come together in the levels ( like places to snipe from or places that can be helpful during combat like broken walls from a building) this question goes with semi-auto weapons -does shooting work by how fast you hit the button in real games or in another way?- i think you should try to get another character besides the rifleman

Level 8
thiz map waz definetly good.

all it needs is an AI , for single player playability, for those who cant host, or find anyone to play the game with.

and ill test V1.20A :)

Yes, AI for now has taken a back seat because the map so far has been focuses more on doing whatever possible to have the possibility of enjoying this map online with friends or whoever with little to no lag going on and for the most part should now be possible through the use of List Checker and an appropriate host. AI is still not an abandoned idea, but it is a very difficult task to accomplish if you want a human like AI.

I don't know about the way it's programmed, but you could make it "system-like" so that the map gameplay can be easily transformed to other landscapes. So people could create custom battlefields for it and you just would have to copy the gameplay triggers into it.

The map being transferable or easily customizable is something I would like to accomplish but I would first like to get the whole map functioning correctly and then work on a possible way to easily customize. You can open the map in editor right now and you will see there is alot to it.

Anyway this all is a lot of work and though there is no doubt that you did an awesome job in creating this, there still remains one question imho: Why should I play a WC3 based Shooter if I can play a real shooter? Sure it's a fun thing to see it done on the wc3 engine, especially for mappers, but you have to think, if it's worth all the time. On ther other hand, I think most maps that took a lot of time to get finished suffer from this problem.

So: great work, gonna check it out soon.

Ah yes, your not the first person to bring this up and I honestly can not say anything other than there is no reason to other than if you want to try something new. Someone may enjoy this and play with a few friends while others may not like it.

ill try it when i can but for ideas for terrain, id say play or watch videos of war games and look how they made everything come together in the levels ( like places to snipe from or places that can be helpful during combat like broken walls from a building) this question goes with semi-auto weapons -does shooting work by how fast you hit the button in real games or in another way?- i think you should try to get another character besides the rifleman

The terrain is still being taken into consideration as it is in need of reconstruction but will have to either be done by me at a later time due to the complexity of everything or done by another group if they may wish to. I truly have a good idea for a jungle oriented theme but it will have to wait until after I finish and release the final non beta version. about the semi auto weapons, currently you have a bolt action sniper rifle meaning you cant shoot as fast as you can hit a button. I have left out any other weapons for file size sake but if they are implemented again then yes they will probably shoot as fast as u can hit a button.

some mapps have that.. random placement of doodads and terrain and stuff, so that everytime you play the landscape is different.

its in other sniper maps on thiz site,

this brings up a good point. the map still is currently for the most part randomly generated. the reason is, virtually the whole map is created via triggers and not in map editor for specific wc3 engine reasons which makes it harder to terrain a map. Random generating is not required but a large portion of the map will have to be triggered. This means any talented terrainer would have to have a good amount of trigger knowledge to create an approriate template for this map. Basically what will have to be done is, a terrainer would have to create a good jungle themed map that would work for a FPS and do all they want then I would have to generate that map as close as possible through triggers.

So if anyone was to create a good map theme I would be able to replicate it as close as possible via triggers but until then it wont change much for now.

Everyone, please feel free to comment your suggestions or opinions as they do help and I thank all of you above to posted. As mentioned before, v1.20b is still currently the latest version and is in need of more testing and input.

Level 2
this was new... o_o to me atleast...
kewl ideas!, kewl makings! good luck! xD

Level 3
Indeed, however, I saw some videos on youtube of a map, a city, not mountainous terrain, are you ever planning on releasing that? And the tapping for WASD keys isn't very easy, in personal opinion, I can do without strafing and just use arrow keys to turn.

Level 8
^_^ surprised to see this bounce back to the front page... i have stopped working on this map for some time now. it was never fully finished but still more than playable online with a listchecker host and works. that town you mentioned from the videos was when it was in the testing stage long ago. i can understand what your saying about the WASD tapping but it was changed to that because it felt like I was driving a bus without it.

I had decided some time ago to no longer linger in the wc3 editor but recently, a few days ago I have started a possible project that simply began from constructing a large building out of boredom that quickly turned into a feasible idea I always had. A possible project that I may start in my spare time is a FPS Zombie Survival type map but it will focus more on the Scourge and keep its Wc3 Theme rather than a blatant zombie skirmish every other map seems to be.

As you see from the screen shots below, these are a rough idea of how the map will look. However the gameplay will be focused on player vs environment and not each other. This in turn allows for a less competitive and more enjoyable experience if you may have trouble getting used to the controls. Another thing to mention is there is currently no weapon shown in any of the images. This is because the map will require a pretty high quality (not necessarily high polly) 3D model instead of filters due to the advanced lighting the map is using. The shotgun will most likely be created near the end of the maps production if I decide to keep progressing the map. A majority of the interior has been finished to a presentable state since I have started this a few days ago so the next few weeks will be mostly deciding on possible boss fights and then coding the waves/levels. Since the camera portion of the map is essentially already crafted from my last map, I can spend less time on it(most complicated part of the map) and work more on how I want the waves of creatures to react and brainstorm better ideas.

NOTE: These screen shots are from a few hours after I first created the environment so while the main layout of the building is the same, they are before I had relighted, decorated, and improved many aspects.

Level 8
well, considering i still havent quite finished all the rooms, the framerate may be a bit lower than what it currently is at the moment but right now I am keeping 30-60 frames per second and my computer is about 4 or 5 years old now. keeping a stable framerate is all just weeding out unnecessary objects in the game no one would ever see and try to be as efficient as possible.

I could probably use some suggestions though, for what you would expect an abandoned inn to look like after be wiped out by the plague (which you are a survivor). At this point, I am trying to create a wrecked theme for the inn where as tables are turned over, barricades blocking doors and windows from the previous inhabitance there and just in general an abandoned, wrecked inn/tavern but I could use some terraining(doodad) advice on good ways to acheive this.

Level 18
okay

making turned over tables might be a bit tricky, but its possible.
All you need to do is go to the object editor, and select the table doodad.
and in it will be a selection that says " Max pitch angle " and " max roll Angle"

If you make those values negative, and then play around with the negative numbers, you will discover that you can make things change their Z angle.
Ill be back to this post with the proper nummbers when i open my editor.

and to create a destroyed theme, Fog is a must. Download the UTM ( Ultimate terraining Map ), which you could find on the Terraining Forum, and export all the models. Find the " Flare " Model, and then use that to create fogs, most likly, a dark orangy fog inside the building would make it seem dank and nasty looking.

Then perhaps placing rocks and grass inside the inn. Place the rocks and grass between cracks in the floor, so make some of the floorboards crooked. Then change the color of the rocks and grass so that they are darker.

Lastly, Skeletons and bones are a must have. Change their color so that they are darker.

Level 8
:) thanks for the reply...

the table turning thing I figured out yesterday, took forever to find the right values as its completely random the way it rotates lol, but I have several rotated tables and chairs acting as either just flipped over or in one case I have to tipped tables blocking doors works pretty good.

I also have the UTM you are talking about, most of my building uses models from it. Ill take a look at this flare thing you are talking about, I am curious. I have a semi-fog effect at the moment, though not great but the lighting in the map is superb. I basically use the daynightmodel function that masks all objects black and my lighting gives it color etc.

the floorboard cracks with rocks/grass is actually a pretty good idea. I may try that after I place the rest of my interior. I just have to keep down the model count when looking at a certain direction so it wont bog down ur pc, but that would add a pretty good run down abanonded effect.

Cant forget the skellies :) i thought about adding some corpses and bones around the place but finding an appropriate location to place them will be difficult.

right now, actually... I am trying to finish up the tavern now that I have all the tables and tipped tables/chairs, lighting, rugs, and benches, and some crates/beerkegs laying around, I cant figure out a good model to use to make a barcounter effect. I just gotta make some small simple countertop and just add some shelves behind it with some beerkegs and itll look alright, but aside from using a bookcase as a counter, I havent found anything better yet.

Level 18
lol

the easiest thing to use as a bar counter are tables. Line them up horizontally, and then but some chests underneath them. Fix the Z of the chests so that they are taller. And then you get something that looks like a bar.

problem is i dont know how to make that look like a demolished bar xD

and the daynight model thing is awsome. So this should be a really awsome map :D

Level 8
More images.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 268
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 259
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 98
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 102
Level 8
couple more, finished all the rooms, and added a patio where zombies will also come from. the house for now, is done and i will continue on to triggers and such. here is a short youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAjrCo-NuoI

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 15.jpg