• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Xbox 360 or Playstation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Im going to save some money for a game console.

Should I buy Playstation 3 or Xbox 360? Which one will be better in graphics, sound, perfromance, and bonus features (for example playing DVDs, BluRays etc.) and so on?
And which one is cheaper.

Or should I buy Wii U xd? (It will probably be released before I get enough money for any of these.)

Level 1
Xbox 360 is better if you would play "as a loner" (something like PC)
PS3 would be better for playing with someone (CO-OP, for fun, something)
That's just my opinion thou...

Level 15
If you want cheaper online experience go for PS3, cause you don't have to purchase Xbox Live Gold membership, although Xbox Live has more content and online connection is much faster than PSN. If you live on somewhere that has complicated regions types of games like mine, then I would suggest you get PS3.

PS3 has plenty of exclusive games that are very unique and innovative, unlike the 360, it has the same tried-and-tested games. Although, I wouldn't compare any game to Gears, its the best.

I wouldn't recommend getting Wii U when it comes out, remember, newly released hardware are prone to defects and problems, besides, it costs too much at the early sales. :p

Level 5
If allowed I'd go for Both because the difference of the two consoles are exclusive games. like Killzone in PS3 and Gears of War in X360.
both consoles are great and I'm not about to judge who's better and worse.
Besides I have both anyway. :cgrin:

Level 11
I wouldn't recommend getting Wii U when it comes out, remember, newly released hardware are prone to defects and problems, besides, it costs too much at the early sales. :p

The only problem I see with the Wii U console is that you can now break two screens at the same time lol

But seriously do not ever buy any console when it comes out. Nintendo 3DS has dropped its price with 30-40% since it came out + it includes a game or two.

EDIT:
If allowed I'd go for Both because the difference of the two consoles are exclusive games. like Killzone in PS3 and Gears of War in X360.
both consoles are great and I'm not about to judge who's better and worse.
Besides I have both anyway. :cgrin:

This is about him buying one console, maybe you could share some other information about what you feel when you play, controls, usage, problems, features comparison etc.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
PS3 I think, better graphics and BluRay.
I would suggest PS3 too, i heard it has better graphics than Xbox360 but i am not sure about this
Actually the Xbox 360 technically has the best visuals. Yes the PS3 has more GPU processing power in theory but it lacks fine optimizations present in the 360.

The PS3 uses a generic PC graphic solution (Geforce 7800 type GPU) with minor modifications. The 360 uses a custom built graphic solution from AMD which takes into account the discrete nature of a console.

The PS3 has 256 MB of main memory and another 256 MB of graphic memory (probably from the GPU's PC origans). Yes additional main memory can be allocated for use by the GPU but this greatly degrades performance due to interface latency. The Xbox 360 has 512 MB of memory which is shared between main memory and the GPU. The GPU can be allocated as much of this shared memory as the software can aford without any performance penalty.

The 360 GPU even takes advantage of internal latencies to allow a virtually free full scene anti-aliasing. The PS3 is forced to compute AA like a computer and thus waste considerable time.

Brute force the PS3 does win but the extra graphic memory allocation potential in the 360 allows for larger or more textures to be loaded. Having a mesh of hundreds of thousand of verticies is worthless unless you can put some surface over it. The 360 thus allows developers to place higher resolution textures (sharper) or more surfaces (secene looks more alive) than the PS3 if they can aford to use less than 256 MB of main memory. The 360's cheap AA allows it to render geometry that appears sharper. The PS3 does support both these features, but the costs of using them are too high and would cause games to suffer noticably performance difficulties.

Infact, the graphics in the 360 were so advanced that AMD adapted some of the technology they used in it for the PC which became incorperated in a line of top range DirectX 10.1 graphic cards.

You will notice that a lot of PS3 exclusive games go for complex meshes with simple textures and cleaver shading as this exploits the strengths of the GPU in the PS3. The 360 on the other hand goes for much simpler meshes using AA to provide sharpness with high resolution or more varied textures often relying on tried and tested shading techniques.

Unfortunatly, when games are not degined exclusivly for the PS3 or orignally on the PS3 they mostly look better on the 360 since the textures and AA are very noticable.

Level 5
okay PS3 is great the online is more linear than X360
PlaystationNetwork [PSN] is very easy to use. but the connection is sloppier
X360 is more complicated in online use but better connections, it's like your Playmates are right beside you.
I'd recommend X360 even though it's more complicated use but once you get to hanged of it it'll be a piece of cake.
XboxLive [XBL] is always have an excellent service for their user.
but I'm not saying PS3 is worse than X360
PS3 is also good even online the connection is just very slight differences, if in X360 is your playmate is right beside you.
for PS3 then it's like they're your neighbor.
Also I think PS3 and X360 got no difference in Graphics, the difference occur when the Programmer decides to do so.
[EX. Final Fantasy XIII in PS3 has better Graphics than X360]
Square Enix Decided to make it so
If you can buy both then it'll Better :cgrin:

Level 27
Unfortunatly, when games are not degined exclusivly for the PS3 or orignally on the PS3 they mostly look better on the 360 since the textures and AA are very noticable.

Dude, the 360 has AA? No way, everything on the xbox looks pixely and i have one right here so.. and Dark Souls was compressed for the xbox into one disc so it has less graphics now than the ps3 version which has two discs but it would otherwise been a lot more discs i guess.

Instead of going for a specific console why don't you just see what each one has to offer and what will suit you for what you want in your gaming experience. Who really does care about graphics and better model quality when that console doesn't have the game you want or if both have the same game go for what console provides the best controller that comforts your hands best (this is why I rather the Xbox 360 over the Ps2), it has more of the games I rather and the main gaming controller is more comfortable for my hands for gaming.
See what games they provide before you buy a console is a smart thing to do(if you haven't decided a game you want that isn't console specific already).

Level 6
Instead of going for a specific console why don't you just see what each one has to offer and what will suit you for what you want in your gaming experience. Who really does care about graphics and better model quality when that console doesn't have the game you want or if both have the same game go for what console provides the best controller that comforts your hands best (this is why I rather the Xbox 360 over the Ps2), it has more of the games I rather and the main gaming controller is more comfortable for my hands for gaming.
See what games they provide before you buy a console is a smart thing to do(if you haven't decided a game you want that isn't console specific already).

Well, I have played Halo Reach on Xbox and Need For Speed (i dont remember which one) on Playstation and the playstation gives me the feeling that its easy to handle. But the xbox controller is comfortable. On this moment playstation would be the good choice.

Xbox 360. Better quality, cheaper, and Halo.

I thought playstation is cheaper :O . I saw 250gb playstation 3 slim being sold at 216,00 € (euros).
Yeah Halo is cool, sad its not on playstation.

Level 25
Don't buy the console unless the games you like want are on it:
What is your favorite type of games? what previous games on consoles did you love and enjoy? what previous console did you own? is there a specific game that you want to play?

Give us answers and you got yourself the perfect console.

Level 6
Don't buy the console unless the games you like want are on it:
What is your favorite type of games? what previous games on consoles did you love and enjoy? what previous console did you own? is there a specific game that you want to play?

Give us answers and you got yourself the perfect console.

I have owned Playstation 1, Playstation 2 and Wii.
I only played warcraft II: beyond the dark portal on playstation 1.
I loved the dvd feature on playstation 2.
I like rts games like warcraft and racing games where you can totally break your car also sometimes fps games like halo.

I like the BluRay feature 'cause I like full hd.

Edit:
Also Lautanen i suggest to not but a slim as I have heard that they can overheat easily due to there tiny fan.
My playstation 2 slim works fine? Although I only watch DVD on it...

Level 25
-I only played warcraft II: beyond the dark portal on playstation 1.
-My playstation 2 slim works fine? Although I only watch DVD on it...
-I like the BluRay feature 'cause I like full hd.

Get a Blueray. If you didn't even use the first 2 for gaming, you wont for the third.
You are a Movie person, don't waste your money.
Everything else, you can just play on the PC since you are not searching for specific console exclusive games.

Level 6
Get a Blueray. If you didn't even use the first 2 for gaming, you wont for the third.
You are a Movie person, don't waste your money.
Everything else, you can just play on the PC since you are not searching for specific console exclusive games.

I often played on ps 1 4-6 hours a day? Only warcraft 2.
Sometimes there are quests who wants to play video games and I think blueray cant play games.
I will buy some games if I buy a console, I wont waste money. One reason for new console is that I wouldn't waste my hd television.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Dude, the 360 has AA? No way, everything on the xbox looks pixely and i have one right here so.. and Dark Souls was compressed for the xbox into one disc so it has less graphics now than the ps3 version which has two discs but it would otherwise been a lot more discs i guess.
Not all games use it (especially PC and PS3 ports). However AA is increadbly noticable in most Xbox 360 exclusives and some cross platformers. An example is Sonic Generations where the PS3 noticably suffered visually (next to the cutscenes which were rendered in HD but that was not worth the poor ingame performance). Obviously this does not make up for the fact that almost all games are only rendered in 720p but this is also the case for the PS3.

[EX. Final Fantasy XIII in PS3 has better Graphics than X360]
Seeing how it was made for the PS3 are you honestly suprised? The graphic comparisons made are rubish though and probably confuse AA as resampling.

Level 11
Cost difference between a regular computer (which you're gonna have to own anyway) and a gaming computer < Cost of consoles

ehem... No that is totally wrong, a gaming classed computer costs more than a console + a regular computer together.

Let's not forget that console games are more expensive

The difference can be like 5-15 Euros depending on where you live or where you buy it, but since a gaming computer costs more you must buy a lot of games to actually save some money.

The only advantage you get from playing games on a computer is the access to more games, better graphics if your hardware is good, you can upgrade/replace your parts more easily (going to a local computer store they can fix a computer problem within an hour for small tasks, smaller towns usually don't have repair service for consoles).

Level 11
ehem... No that is totally wrong, a gaming classed computer costs more than a console + a regular computer together.

The difference can be like 5-15 Euros depending on where you live or where you buy it, but since a gaming computer costs more you must buy a lot of games to actually save some money.

The only advantage you get from playing games on a computer is the access to more games, better graphics if your hardware is good, you can upgrade/replace your parts more easily (going to a local computer store they can fix a computer problem within an hour for small tasks, smaller towns usually don't have repair service for consoles and you will probably have to go to other towns or even send it by mail (based on PS2 experience)).

in my country for example an euro is like 4 RON(my country money) and so the difference is quite big...
But in rest, i entirely agree with you, gaming PCs are more expensive than consoles, but they offer a larger variety of options and freedom
About the repairing thing, you can even repair PC yourself if you got a little knowlegde about how to do it and stuff like that, but minor problems only

Level 6

The only advantage you get from playing games on a computer is the access to more games, better graphics if your hardware is good, you can upgrade/replace your parts more easily (going to a local computer store they can fix a computer problem within an hour for small tasks, smaller towns usually don't have repair service for consoles).
1325579049396.png

Level 11

Here is a table to show you the price differences when it comes to computers and consoles.

NOTE: The prices are shown in the SEK currency and are based from one web store with desktop computers and no sale prices.

PriceConsoleCheap Computer TotallyGaming ComputerDifference
PS3 Slim 160GB230035005800100004200
Xbox Slim 4GB170035005200100004800

However it is possible to be gaming on a cheaper computer but the performance does not keep up for long when new games comes up:

PriceConsoleCheap Computer TotallyEx. ComputerDifference
PS3 Slim 160GB2300350058006000200
Xbox Slim 4GB1700350052006000800

As you can see the price difference is very small, the example computer however can be found in cheaper prices in sales and so but the average one is usually at 6000.

But still, playing on a computer is more expensive and they age fast while consoles gets replaced after several years (PS 1994, PS2 2000 and PS3 2006) so it is much more economic to play on a console unless you buy a lot of new games for it.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation
Prices from Weballen, a Swedish site

Note that misspelling or wrong statistics can occur in this post or the sources.

Level 5
Not all games use it (especially PC and PS3 ports). However AA is increadbly noticable in most Xbox 360 exclusives and some cross platformers. An example is Sonic Generations where the PS3 noticably suffered visually (next to the cutscenes which were rendered in HD but that was not worth the poor ingame performance). Obviously this does not make up for the fact that almost all games are only rendered in 720p but this is also the case for the PS3.

Seeing how it was made for the PS3 are you honestly suprised? The graphic comparisons made are rubish though and probably confuse AA as resampling.
I'm not surprised. It just shows how Square Enix is more fond of PS3 especially PS3 is originally made by Sony which is japanese then Square Enix is mostly Japanese employee so they empower their own.

Level 6
Here is a table to show you the price differences when it comes to computers and consoles.
My current build cost around $1000 (including the 21'5" 1920x1080 monitor), and certainly isn't anything special. 4GB RAM (all you'll ever need, for the most part) and an AMD dual-core. Don't know much about anything else, but my graphics card was supposed to be fancy. Sorry I don't have the names, though, I'm not really one of those who keeps track of that.

It can run most games fine, just fine. Only thing I've really noticed is that it can barely run Dolphin on its current core, but games like e.g. Skyrim run splendidly. Never had a problem.

Games are piss cheap. Gaben makes sure of this. Ever heard of Steam sales? It's an extreme luxury. You can always just
pirate
them too, but I guess you're killing the PC gaming industry by doing so, or something.

But hey, if consoles are cheaper, then fine. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Only thing I've really noticed is that it can barely run Dolphin on its current core
Depends on the game you try to emulate. Some of them have horrendiously slow to emulate procedures. Where as it was viable to mix software with hardware rendering on the Wii console (infact it is encouraged to maximize the visual quality produced), it is not viable to do so on the PC due to the bottleneck of communicating through the PCI-E buss (such opperations are very slow). This problem is multiplied by people trying to run games at non-native resolution. Even some 4+ GHz I7 processors (quad/hex core) still struggle with the emulator at times.

Level 6
Depends on the game you try to emulate. Some of them have horrendiously slow to emulate procedures. Where as it was viable to mix software with hardware rendering on the Wii console (infact it is encouraged to maximize the visual quality produced), it is not viable to do so on the PC due to the bottleneck of communicating through the PCI-E buss (such opperations are very slow). This problem is multiplied by people trying to run games at non-native resolution. Even some 4+ GHz I7 processors (quad/hex core) still struggle with the emulator at times.
Informative. I'll most likely just burn the ISOs to discs, though, since I do own a Wii.

Level 22
If you have a good gaming PC, I think a PS3 is the best option. You can get almost all 360 exclusives on the PC (except Fable and Forza?), and you'll have to pay double for online. The hardware differences are pretty much negligible. Lots of multi-platform games look slightly better on the 360 though, but you should be playing those on a PC anyway.
If you don't have a good gaming PC, it all depends on your opinion of the exclusives. I'm guessing that, overall, if you like racing and shooting, get a 360 (Halo, Gears, Forza); if you like adventure games, get a PS3 (Uncharted, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, etc). The genres are much more mixed on both consoles than last gen though. You can find good shooters on the PS3, and the other way around.
Or better yet, just wait until next gen? The new consoles will be announced at E3 2012.

EroticSideburns said:
Games are piss cheap. Gaben makes sure of this. Ever heard of Steam sales? It's an extreme luxury.

Or what about Amazon? At least in Europe it's mostly even cheaper.

Last edited:
Level 11
My current build cost around $1300 (including the 21'5" 1920x1080 monitor), and certainly isn't anything special. 4GB RAM (all you'll ever need, for the most part) and an AMD dual-core. Don't know much about anything else, but my video card was supposed to be fancy. Sorry I don't have the names, though, I'm not really one of those who keeps track of that.

It can run most games fine, just fine. Only thing I've really noticed is that it can barely run Dolphin on its current core, but games like e.g. Skyrim run splendidly. Never had a problem.

Games are piss cheap. Gaben makes sure of this. Ever heard of Steam sales? It's an extreme luxury. You can always just
pirate
them too, but I guess you're killing the PC gaming industry by doing so, or something.

But hey, if consoles are cheaper, then fine. You get what you pay for.

There is always a way to find cheaper products today, I took pre-built pcs because the consoles in stores are pre-built to. If you want to compare lowest prices I can bring up some statistics that includes a pirate copied PS3 and a stolen computer.

Also I choose that gaming pc because of its Graphics since the major power is there. And I know that cheaper pcs can play games with good performance to but they cant play the latest games as long as a gaming computer. The cheaper one had GT 530 and the gaming one GTX 560 Ti, both are great, GT 530 can play games and doesn't cost as much as the GTX 560 Ti. But the GTX 560 Ti has more power and can run games on higher graphic settings. Sooner or later these computers will be considered "old" and one day they cant play the latest game without performance penalties, PS2 lasted 6 years and "I" want a computer to last that long to. Buying a new computer more often is not very economical, unless you upgrade it.

And when it comes to game prices I don't know much about steam sales, but physical stores usually has a sale a couple of times a year when it cuts down its prices and so. They also sell old games for low prices, second hand games are also extremely cheap. Buying console games for a decent price is possible, but pc will always be cheaper in that area.

Pirated games is not actually the best idea for a stable gaming industry, also they can be very buggy or even worse...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
a pirate copied PS3
That is not a PS3... It is some piece of crap that they advertise as a PS3 but actually might have the graphics of a SNES. It is impossible to make pirated game consoles due to the fact that manufacturing precision electronics such as the Cell processor or nvidia graphic processor requires billions (yes BILLIONS) of dollars of initial investment.

Pirated games is not actually the best idea for a stable gaming industry, also they can be very buggy or even worse...
They run as well as the orignal games if pirated properly. There are 2 exceptions to this.
1. Games by Ubisoft now use an online server to upload crutial sections of the game code making cracks unreliable or faulty.
2. Games which require online servers to play fully (like SC2) are unplayble due to the lack of authentication.

The reason not to pirate is because you do not get the full game experience. Yes someone might pirate Diablo III but the crappy custom servers he will be limited to play on will destroy his gaming experience. This is why I only buy genuine productions of games I play regually. I strongly advise that everyone who plans to play a game a lot or who is playing a pirated game a lot goes out and buys the genuine article from the developer.

Level 9
Xbox for multiplayer (Xbox LIVE is top... and steam if you choose pc)

ps3 Has God of war. and bluray kinda getting old its not as good as actual blueray players. and graphics just a tiny bit better yet xbox is more HD.
]
140477-albums630-picture4687.gif
best thing i saw that sparks interest in wc3 in along time.

STAY IN PC!

Level 6
Wait a year and buy the PS4 or the Nextbox. I think it would be a waste of money in such a late state to buy one of those two.

I have thought about that; I could stay with my pc for a while. After some years a Wii U is also a choice. Wii is kinda refreshing as the xbox and playstation are nearly the same.

Edit: Still, I like old stuff, like warcraft II.

Level 6
Hmm... my friend that plays xbox says that ps network is being hacked often and easily. And there are lots of ultrasound players playing ps3.
But he said that ps3 is cheaper, and I believe he's right (since he lives on same country I do).
So, I havent decided this yet.

Level 15
I think it would be more sensible to buy PS3 or Xbox 360 rather the next gen PS4 or Next Xbox (if any would come out anytime soon), you'd suffer from technical defects (remember Red Ring of Death for fat Xbox 360) and model transitions like a Slim version. Also, games usually are at high price for newly released

If the next gen consoles came out, it means one thing, prices for PS3 and Xbox 360 would likely drop, that's not really a bad thing is it. When it comes to exclusives, I find PS3 more innovative (Heavy Rain and Little Big Planet) but that doesn't mean Xbox 360 games are inferior.

Status
Not open for further replies.