• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

X-COM remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
I'm not really sure most of you'll know it, unlerss you're a big fan of retro games or just a veteran gamer who was already playing games when it was just released in 90s, but I still think the idea of recreating a campaing (Because I doubt it would be possible to recreate everything in a one map), similar to this game would be awesome.

The Original Game

The story of X-COm is quite simple. In not far away future, aliens attack the Earth. To combat the extraterrestrial threat world governments create an independant organization and you're in charge of it. You main objective is protect the earth from aliens.
The game has two modes: a turn-based tactical and global real-time strategic. In Strategic, you have a world map with all the countries, your bases and ground missions/UFOs to destroy. In this mode you get all the income, construct various structures inside your base (Like factory to produce items, labs to research tech and things like that) and use the facilities you built. Also you train your troops, which are not expandables, they have experience and have inventory, so it's really immportant to produce enough of all equipment and not run out of it. Alien UFOs can be detected with radars and destroyed by your defences or fighters sent from your base. When there is a ground mission, you send a transport with troops to it and tactical mode begins. I don't really want to talk much about it since I doubt anyone would recreate the turn-based game completely, I'll just explain the basics: There is a map with all the structures and objects on it, you can order your troops to move anywhere for action points, they also have HP (obviously), your objective here is to hunt all the aliens and try not to loose you troops. There is also one very immportant aspect in game: research. You can research some new technologies, like shall we say laser weapontry or from where aliens came or alien technology you salvaged... after some time new alien species appear, new events happen and you recieve new technology to research. every research report is styled like a scinetist's letter to you, like if it would be real. Scientists tell all the information they managed to get, they describe all the immportant details and give recommendations. The research is a really immportant part of the game, it helps to advance in technology to be able to counter new aliens that every day become stronger and stronger, the research reports are one of main atmosphere creating factors that create a big, intriguing mistery and it is the key to victory, you will never have a final mission if you won't invent your own space technology.

The Warcraft Campaing

This would be quite an ambitious project that would require lots of time and would need lots of modders to partipicate. It's quite hard to understand the whole picture if you haven't played the original or one of remakes (Like UFO: After[something, like Aftermatch, there are three parts of these series], UFO: Alien Invasion (It's free so you can download and try it, it's still an unfinished project, but enough to understand the original game and has the same mysterious atmosphere) and UFO: Extraterrestrials). Of course, the tactical part should be completely reworked and turned into real-time. Plus there are some concerns about how the tactical maps should be selected, in original game there were bunch of maps and one was selected randomly. This is theoretically possible in Warcraft 3 campaing too to choose one of random maps, plus create all your troops how they were customized in strategic mode and spawn aliens depending on how much you advanced in game, some campaings like Heroes of Genesia already have proven that.
The strategical mode should have some complications too, but experienced team could solve it. Firstly there could be some map areas that you can't move your camera from them and the camera covers the whole area. By clicking on shall we say "Your base" unit, you would be moved to area that is your base and you could complete all the base-related things like production there. The research reports are really immportant part of game atmosphere, hence they could be in the Optional Quests menu.

Well, that's my idea. I couldn't make something so massive by myself and doubt everyone will ever make it, but it was worth to post it.
One more thing: I doubt I gave you the whole picture of how the original worked. You can search for screenshots/ try one of remakes (By the way I recommend "UFO: Alien Invasion", It's free, has all eerything completely same way and I think you can search for it on ModDB) if you haven't played the game, that's so much better than listening to my confusing explanations.

Level 2
oh I love X-com XD

one of the newer x-com remakes actually had real time battle in it, I think the third one did, so you could base it off that, I don't see this being possible though, maybe you could have a wc3 map for the geoscape and other maps for battlescapes and...
..well gee I guess I can see how it would work but something like that takes serious dedication and would probably make for a better sc2 campaign then wc3

Level 27
Yes, this could really work out better in SC2. But that wouldn't change so much.

Yes, there was one UFO:After???, the third one, where action takes place on Mars planet. As I remember there, the real-time battles in it were more chaotic and less tactical than in turn based games...

Yes, one map for global map and all those bases/stuff (That's not hard to make). Only I'm not sure about the bases then, they should be saved in hashtables/JASS then, else you would be limited in just one...

Level 2
Yes, this could really work out better in SC2. But that wouldn't change so much.

Yes, there was one UFO:After???, the third one, where action takes place on Mars planet. As I remember there, the real-time battles in it were more chaotic and less tactical than in turn based games...

Yes, one map for global map and all those bases/stuff (That's not hard to make). Only I'm not sure about the bases then, they should be saved in hashtables/JASS then, else you would be limited in just one...

it sounded kinda interesting, the chaos, it would be like "HOLY SHIT A REPEAR" comes around the corner and you start shaking and keep misclicking your units until it's too late. I'm sure the fun would wear out fast though

for bases, you could do what the latest ufo knockoff did(can't recall it's name) and have research/manufacturing all in one base. you could make it so they can only be built on specific tiles, which would only be in that one base, perhaps?

Level 27
Maybe, maybe...
I'm just giving an idea, not planing to make... that would be kinda hard...

Yup, that would be really chaotic.. but since in all X-com games and remakes there are no regeneration or unlimited medikits, only ones you took with you, it's possible to make some kind of cleansing mission. You know, a one where you start at some region with your troops, there are aliens patroling around the place but don't notice you at begining, only when (if) one of them will notice you, he'll call only those aliens close to him, this way you won't be attacked by a whole swarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.