• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW - worth to play or just gay?

Is World of Warcraft worth playing or does it slander Warcraft lore?

• Worth playing

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Slanders lore

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I'm just curious. People have a lot of mixed opinions on World of Warcraft so I'm just curious which one is the most prevalent. As a personal Warcraft lore ethusiast (and former World of Warcraft player) I think the game slanders Warcraft 3 lore in the sense that major characters are killed by rag-tag adventurers.

Illidan got killed by unknown adventurers helped by Maiev and Akama when the most logical option would have been Illidan being killed by Maiev and Akama or helped by unknown adventurers, not the other way around.

Arthas should have been killed by Tirion Fordring, not by unknown adventurers helped by Tirion. Also the idea that Bolvar is the new Lich King is disappointing since he hasn't been a major character in any other Warcraft games, whereas Tirion has been a major character in warcraft 2.

Other notable examples are Kael, Lady Vashj, Zul'jin, Kil'Jaeden, Anub'Arak, etc.

Anyway, what's your oppinion on the matter?

I love it when a game has a huge lore behind it, but I get really freaked out when the game has no good graphics or the models look like photoshop units moving around. For example you can't compare this to Lineage II or Aion graphics-wise. You just can't. The WoW one makes you feel you are in a cartoon story, while the other ones drive you into the world they present and this is what I consider in a game; I know it's great when I just can't stop playing with it, feeling part of its own world. That's why I choose a game that has both great lore and graphics. I haven't tried WoW for this reason. So, even if Lineage II for example lacks the lore of the Warcraft, the dynamic graphics make you forget about it. The graphics are counting in the gaming experience anyway mostly, not the lore. This is my personal opinion, don't start quotting me and convtroverting my words.

aion is a ripoff of wow and is terribly done.

seriously, the freakin world was blown up by a thing called the "tower of eternity"
Alot of people say that and they're always wrong! They only say that because aion is getting alot of players and so they think that wow would get less players. Actually i think aion did a great job using other game features and improving them, although some of the features we're lacking, it's still a great game, and the visuals are just stunning. And i don't see how the aion story is in anyway a ripoff of WoW.

Level 6
I love it when a game has a huge lore behind it, but I get really freaked out when the game has no good graphics or the models look like photoshop units moving around. For example you can't compare this to Lineage II or Aion graphics-wise. You just can't. The WoW one makes you feel you are in a cartoon story, while the other ones drive you into the world they present and this is what I consider in a game; I know it's great when I just can't stop playing with it, feeling part of its own world. That's why I choose a game that has both great lore and graphics. I haven't tried WoW for this reason. So, even if Lineage II for example lacks the lore of the Warcraft, the dynamic graphics make you forget about it. The graphics are counting in the gaming experience anyway mostly, not the lore. This is my personal opinion, don't start quotting me and convtroverting my words.

They do not make WoW look crappy because they want to. They make it look like that because Blizzard wants WoW to be run on pretty much any computer.

Graphics do not make a game. Gameplay does.

Level 13
WOW is a really good MMO. It does the stuff it's supposed to do and does it well. Also ugh, more BAWWW about our lore characters being killed by random characters. How the hell do you actually want them to die? In a 20 minute epic cinematic where they duke it out with their nemesis? To me, Maiev still killed Illidan (with the help of the adventurers) and Tirion killed Arthas.

Graphics count a lot. Especially when people have powerful computers, they expect games to match their PC's configuration. Graphics help in the imersion in the game world. And anyway, gameplay in world of warcraft isn't what it's cut out to be >.<.

Meh, in MMOs text covers almost the whole screen, so there isn't any need for good graphics. Playing a MMORPG looks like playing a text adventure XD

Level 13
Graphics count a lot. Especially when people have powerful computers, they expect games to match their PC's configuration. Graphics help in the imersion in the game world. And anyway, gameplay in world of warcraft isn't what it's cut out to be >.<.

Graphics mean a lot? Not really. If game is good, then graphics are pointless.
For example, Crysis, graphics are damn good but game is just normal FPS with just normal shitty story and 8-11h gameplay.

And then I take Might&Magic 7: Day of the Destroyer from my shelf and what I get? Damn good old school RPG with good story and around 50h gameplay and when you beat the game, you easily can start it over again and be happy. And what about graphics? Check attachement.

Attachments

• might-and-magic-viii-day-of-the-destroyer.2098871.jpg
    might-and-magic-viii-day-of-the-destroyer.2098871.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,016
Level 21
WoW is Story Garbage with repeating game play (the environment changes, but it is ALWAYS the same shit... farming.... farming... farming)....

I would say WoW is the most boring MMO ever... it has no elements which help you survive the constant farming, leveling up is the only fun thing here... but only if it is the first time.

Level 13

Didn't read past this...

Simply because this post pissed me off so much.

God, do you even know why Blizzard has relatively bad graphics in all their games? It's so not only hardcore-gaming nerds can play their games. They want their games available to the casual playerbase as well.

If all you care about in a game is graphics, you should go make some infinite sandbox game with lots of realistic features etc.

Personally, I think eyecandies spoil the gaming experience. You get addicted to it, and boom, you can't play the good old games because they're "ugly."

On topic: WoW is pretty fun, but it does spoil the lore. Why could I only vote 1 thing? :|

Last edited:
Level 6
WoW is Story Garbage with repeating game play (the environment changes, but it is ALWAYS the same shit... farming.... farming... farming)....

I would say WoW is the most boring MMO ever... it has no elements which help you survive the constant farming, leveling up is the only fun thing here... but only if it is the first time.

Well really, what is blizzard suppost to do? If you finish one major raid, such as BT, you are not allowed to do it again?

I don't really farm at all in WoW. And if you have a character level 70-80, you would know that there are much more things to do in WoW than just "farming....farming...farming". What do you suggest blizzard should do to avoid this farming?

Level 3
Well i think if you dont want to waste your time just dont play it.

Also there allot of reasons(mostly of them video links) in which i could prove my point that wow isnt worth playing but i rly dont have the time and patience.

Well in the end your the only one who can chose to play or not to play the game.

Level 13
@above post: How does one waste one's time? It's literally impossible to "waste" time. If you have any reason at all to do something, the time you spent doing said this is not wasted, be it rodeo, football, WoW or school.

Level 21
Well really, what is blizzard suppost to do? If you finish one major raid, such as BT, you are not allowed to do it again?

I don't really farm at all in WoW. And if you have a character level 70-80, you would know that there are much more things to do in WoW than just "farming....farming...farming". What do you suggest blizzard should do to avoid this farming?

Are you kidding me? You should play Warhammer Online, you don't have to farm AT ALL, you grow through PLAYING good, like in Guild Wars, means if you play, you grow by playing, you can play the game without any farming. In Warhammer Online you get Equip through PvPing, which means you don't have to farm to get better, you just play, and your character automaticly gets better, thats the way a MMO should go, not farming 10 hours for a damn item to get your wanted stuff, thats one of the most boring MMO-Styles which were ever invented, it is just a major game flaw, trust me, I am learning Game Programming (based on C++, Java and C#), i have to know what Game flaws are. Additional is WoW highly imbalanced, guess what? you can't win with certain "Character groups" in PvP, which is again a BIG design flaw (you should be able to win with every character constellation, thats called BALANCE, and I am not talking about a pve skilled character group, but 2 pvp skilled groups, thats nothing about scissor, stone and paper principal, you just CAN'T win with some constellations)....

Level 13
Well redscores, at level 10 in WoW you can start leveling and getting equipment through PvP as well so I don't see the big deal.

Also, yes, any character combination can win a fight, some just mesh together better than others, obviously.

Level 13
WoW is good, else it wouldn't have the millions of subscribers it has, that's a fact.
One may argue that the gameplay is repeating, but then again, isn't the gameplay of wc3 melee as if not more repetitive?

Very good statement.

So good, in fact, that you deserve a rep point.

Level 14
abit offtopic here:

If WoW was such a bad game, than why would people still talk about it 5 years after it's release ?

Aion is growing mostly because a lot of people got fed with the warcraft universe. As we all know, a hardcore player would get even to the point of playing non-stop for a period of days. Ofc he is now fed up with the franchise after playing for 2-5 day by day, you would get fed up of any franchise if you rush into it like a knife in an onion.
Also the recent changes in Wotlk are dissapointing for the hardcore players.

What Aion brings, is a new franchise, new and better graphics, a very detailed character costumization sistem, all those, are really and mostly enjoyed by hardcore players, because they have the hardware, and they are fed of the warcraft franchise.

However the gameplay. . .is all from WoW mostly. I mean if we look at the characters....you could clearly distinguish the wow ones.
Example: summoner = warlock ? He even has the fear ability :]
Aion characters are not all that different from WoW.

Aion is actually WoW2, WoW for the 2010 where a 512mb video card is under 100 euro (at least in my country). WoW, with a new franchise, which no one can dispute it that "omg they killed X lore character".

If you want solid lore, and versitile activity, WoW is the MMO you are looking for. The Battlegrounds are good, the leveling is getting better culminating with the WotLK quests atm, the PvE. . .sucks except Ulduar xD (for me at least). Idk about how Arena goes.

If you want eyecandy, better graphics, new lore where nothing is "too epic" for you as a player to kill (so no complaints when some "important" lore character dies) and just want to...PvP...than Aion is for you.

Level 11
To me, I think RPGs like Aion where you can through around objects and such kind of make it a little hard. Yea, it makes more sense to take a minute to find a potion in your backpack, take off the cap and drink it, (I'm not saying any rpg does that, it's an example that some rpgs do things like that to be realistic) but it's inconvienient.

I play WoW. I still play WoW. I have quit before, but I come back eventually. The social aspect of the game is huge for the game.

Level 5
Illidan got killed by unknown adventurers helped by Maiev and Akama when the most logical option would have been Illidan being killed by Maiev and Akama or helped by unknown adventurers, not the other way around.

Arthas should have been killed by Tirion Fordring, not by unknown adventurers helped by Tirion. Also the idea that Bolvar is the new Lich King is disappointing since he hasn't been a major character in any other Warcraft games, whereas Tirion has been a major character in warcraft 2.
your reading way to much into what they write for the lore, the major factor is those major characters WERE THERE!!! as well as other adventurers. the reason they write it in that order however is because without the help of those major characters it would never happen, if you write it the other way around "killed by Akama and Maiev with the help of unkown adventurers" that wouldnt make any sence as those 2 major characters dont need no damn help.

Level 13
Well...

Imagine LK fight without Tirion.

Yeah, you're dead.

Besides, Tirion hits for 6k with a 2.50-3.00 cooldown, he'd have no chance against LK :D

Level 2
I play WoW on a private server which does not cost.

I like the gameplay and cmon.. you can't say that the map isn't huge but still really well done.

I like it but i am not willing to play money...

Yeah, man. Private server ain't the same as the real thing. It kind of defeats the whole gaming experience if you waste it on a private server. It's free, that's good, but if you haven't try the real servers out, you don't know what you're missing out,. The money shouldn't be an issue. PS3 or Xbox 360 games are already $60+. That's one game, I haven't had one of those games last me 4 months+ unless it was one of those rare games, ex. Halo 3, MW, FPS types. Plus it's a social thing.

Level 3

Other notable examples are Kael, Lady Vashj, Zul'jin, Kil'Jaeden, Anub'Arak, etc.

Anyway, what's your oppinion on the matter?
Nor Maiev or Akama was any great heroes, not much better than some WoW players. Only cause they is heroes in Wc3 they must be imba.
Lich King WAS killed by Tirion Fordring, but I dont think a human alone can kill a semi-god, Ashbringer or not.

Kael, Lady Washj and Zuljin is all 10/25 man raid bosses. If you say an adventurer is between hero and unit in Wc3 thats pretty good.
Kiljaeden was only half summoned, and therafore weak.

Anub'arak is a noob! :xxd:

Level 20
yeah lets make it more like lore

tirion fights vs lk and we watch

:(

edit
and on "it costs money", doesnt buying new games cost money? or smoking? or other hobbys? nowadays almost everything costs and i see it as positive that you can support the game that you play

Level 7
Still i hope (if it ever comes) that warcraft 4 lore continues where wc3 ended. Lich King shouldn't be kill-able by just Tyrion and some unknown adventures. He should be killed by Tyrion, Illidan, Sylvanas, Thrall, Jaina and Alextrasza together :p. Or chaos orcs because they can hit through divine armor :D. (Yea, i don't like either that Cenarius is that easily killed in wc 3 :p).

But wow itself is ok, surely when compared to Guild Wars.
I played GW before wow and i liked it quite much but then i played the wow trial and i was immediatly more addicted to it than i ever was to GW :p. What sucks most in GW is that everyone is equal, you can play 50 hours/week or 1 hour/week an still don't have a difference in lvl/gear. It's boring when you having nothing to strife for. For others a game based on pure skill can be fun, but I want to have some sort of goal.

Level 9
Why are people mad at lore? 1. its pretty easy to understand 2. graphics are better than warcraft 3 so shut up. 3. it has alot of people and really whos the dumb crap saying all of wow is 9 year olds? trust me not many people are young maybe the newbs but the high levels theres propley like a few.

Level 13
Still i hope (if it ever comes) that warcraft 4 lore continues where wc3 ended. Lich King shouldn't be kill-able by just Tyrion and some unknown adventures. He should be killed by Tyrion, Illidan, Sylvanas, Thrall, Jaina and Alextrasza together :p. Or chaos orcs because they can hit through divine armor :D. (Yea, i don't like either that Cenarius is that easily killed in wc 3 :p).

Tirion*

Also Alexstrasza can solo the LK, she just doesn't because non-black dragons are all lame. :mad:

Level 10
It's a waste of money.

I agree. I had played WoW, when I reached lvl 60 then all was about farming. Same raid for some days, then next raid and etc. while some of our members just farmed high-sell items from normal creeps. And so did other guilds.
WoW is just boring, a waste of money playing it. It's graphics should be improved and I don't care if you say "Graphicz aint everything!", it's my opinion that graphics must be good if you have problem with it eat shiet brix! >;o

Level 10
It's a waste of money.

Please explain the idea of "wasting money". You play the game because you enjoy it, and you're not wasting money when you're doing something you like and want to do and are willing to pay for it. However if you don't like the game but still play and pay for it... Then it's a waste of money, but I can't find a reason for anyone to do such a thing.
Just saying. :smile:

Level 13
Oh shit, two sheep in one thread.

Yeah, people don't get that game makers need a paycheck too. Or anyone else than themselves, for that matter. Stupidity breeds piracy and MMORPG hatin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.