• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Would a Call of Cthulhu themed map see any love?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I was considering working on a lovecraftian themed map, but asking if anyone even knows of the franchise seems to yield no results. Should I morph my map into something else, or keep on working on it? Don't want to actually try and solidly work on something and then realise that it has no founding, heh.

Level 23
I was considering working on a lovecraftian themed map, but asking if anyone even knows of the franchise seems to yield no results. Should I morph my map into something else, or keep on working on it? Don't want to actually try and solidly work on something and then realise that it has no founding, heh.

First an foremost, is a small modding community.
Treating your mod as a product to be marketed/sold is basically pointless.

Also realise that a vast majority of maps are being made with universes and storylines created solely by the modder, and not based on some pre-existing media. Stories that no one besides the creator knows about, and yet you don't see them asking if whether someone has heard of my story/universe or not being a problem.

That being said, if you're bothered by this then perhaps the problem is far more fundamental. After all, if youre that inspired by an idea that you'd want to make a mod based on it, why do care whether people have heard of it or not?

Level 4
First an foremost, is a small modding community.
Treating your mod as a product to be marketed/sold is basically pointless.

Also realise that a vast majority of maps are being made with universes and storylines created solely by the modder, and not based on some pre-existing media. Stories that no one besides the creator knows about, and yet you don't see them asking if whether someone has heard of my story/universe or not being a problem.

That being said, if you're bothered by this then perhaps the problem is far more fundamental. After all, if youre that inspired by an idea that you'd want to make a mod based on it, why do care whether people have heard of it or not?
Well that covers that, thank you.

Level 26
There are enough maps that do base on pre-existing media. Like Diablo, Naruto and other anime, LotR, Starcraft and other Blizzard titles and even more maps that clone big part of the gameplay concept from another projects. Surely you can ride the wave of popularity but unless you transform it into something new or are able to provide high quality, I do not think you would pierce the market's surplus.

Now I do not know any Call of Cthulhu maps or the franchise in general but even if you take the most popular theme, it yields to nothing without a good realization and a fun gameplay. Also is it not too easy to rely too much on other projects? What is really from you then?

Status
Not open for further replies.